Lookit (pet board)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 la di dah

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (dogged @ 16/04/2012, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry LDD I didn't mean to worry you unduly and I forgot that Nimbus will probably be indoors much of the time.

My knowledge is very very out of date, but we used to put zinc cream on the cat's ears.  Now that I think of it i wonder if it wasn't quite harmful as he would have ingested it when grooming.  I imagine there are much better ideas about it now - this was in my childhood so a long time ago.  But as far as I know, it still can be an issue for white cats who spend a great deal of time in the sun outdoors.

No worries. Better safe than sorry. Unless I fall into a lot of money we don't have a place to put a cat run, so they're 100% indoor kitties for the forseeable future. He just sits by the big sliding glass door to catch some rays but that window even has overhead shade and its a south exposure so I'm just going to let him.

We don't have any north windows, only south and west so I figure he should be okay. I'd much rather people be over-cautious than under so thank you. original.gif

#27 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 13/04/2012, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is very possible. I am NOT a cat person. I've said many nasty things about cats in the past. We are getting a rescue kitten (and maybe a rescue kitten's brother or sister?) when we move in a couple of weeks. The kitty cluck has hit HARD.

You will be soon!!!

LDD, he is ADORABLE!!!  wub.gif wub.gif  

Young cats especially are pretty good about new cats turning up. Our longest period of hostility was 1 week and it was Lexi being upset when we got Basil. Now they spend most of the time asleep together! She mothers him and grooms him. This was them after about 3 weeks...

Soon you'll have an adorable ying yang wink.gif

#28 Catolyn

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

I can't see the pictures ;_; Wanna see new kitty

PussyDids, I know I always say this, but your bengal kitties are just amazing

#29 la di dah

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Is it mine or PussyDid's pix that aren't coming up? I can see both, maybe your computer is boycotting cats?

I love the pics of the bengals, super amazing. Mine aren't bundling together yet but they sit next to each other. Right now, however, Grue has claimed my entire back/butt as her magical kingdom of naptime, and Nimbus is off crawling into my sister's face. He is going to be so sad when she moves back to America because he lurrrves her.

#30 Catolyn

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Yours, LDD, wherever you're linking from is being blocked by the filter at work. I need to see cat pictures to work effectively.

#31 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (ಠ_ಠ @ 18/04/2012, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need to see cat pictures to work effectively.

You should have that written into your contract!!

#32 la di dah

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Well Nimbus has been thoroughly adopted by Grue, who washes him and sits on him and alternates affection with nom nom noming on him, but always letting him go if he cries. He's also always first into the food bowl and she sits and watches.

But he's the laziest, most lethargic kitten I've EVER seen. We bathed him, de-flea-ed him and picked off literally about 40 fleas. Advantage, etc. was applied. He's still slack and lazy and mostly wants to sleep. He plays hardly at all. And he's barely grown, he's definitely not growing at the rate of Roswelle's babies. He's going to the vet tomorrow.  

Wish us luck, everyone. sad.gif

I've never had such an unplayful kitten.

We're thinking of trying changing his food, the Advantage kitten (which worked SO well on Grue and Roswelle and all the babies, they grew like crazy) seems to upset his tummy. Should we try the Purina kitten? I've heard that's easier on their stomachs sometimes?

He's very sweet and just wants to sleep next to or on somebody. But he doesn't do anything besides sleep and eat and its kind of weirding us out.

#33 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

He's all white isn't he? Get the vet to check his hearing. He may be deaf. Which is not really a problem for an indoor cat, but could explain the "not noticing" stuff and what comes across as lethargy.

#34 la di dah

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

He seems to hear me when I call him. His ears move a lot. He likes to hide under the blankets  but leave one ear out. shrug.gif

He just doesn't interact like Grue. I put it down to him being just very chilled out compared to Miss Twitch, but he's not chubbing up and he's all bones and dozing off all the time.

He has been wormed. And we are taking him to a vet tomorrow.

We kept waiting for him to perk up and be playful and stuff. By this age the fosters did sleep and stuff but they played a lot and did things and crawled into places they shouldn't and so on.

My cat I grew up with that lives with my parent, my sister said "Hydrox does more than Nimbus does, you know that, right?" Hydrox is 16 years old. Admittedly some of what he does is about being a cocksure little jerk, but yeah.

I feel so stupid saying "my cat never does anything naughty and just sleeps on his blanket or eats or uses the box like a perfect gentleman - it's breaking my heart!!!"  huh.gif

Edited by la di dah, 08 May 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#35 littlesmooch

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Let us know how you go with the vet today.

#36 Cacti

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

What did the vet say, la di dah? Is the little man all right?

#37 la di dah

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

He's eating, weeing, and pooping, so to get to our regular vet (who are great) we are going tomorrow. He's stable. Just sorta weird. My husband is really worried about him.

Another one of the litter has apparently been sickly and I'm waiting to hear from the rescue what it was it had. I am rather concerned. I picked Nimbus because he was calm and happy to be held but not trembly or jittery or as bouncy as some of the others, he and the runtiest one just wanted to be held, not run around and tear up the rescue lady's kitchen with the other.

Its him and the runt who are sick. I feel like I sort of am responsible for not picking the liveliest and bounciest of them, but he was so sweet. And I guess its not like he would be better off, he gets more individual attention here.

Grue is mad because we washed Nimbus again tonight, (he got poop on his feet) and she was running around and glaring around all Free The Bathtub 1 and glowering on his behalf. Then she tried to cuddle him and give us a dirty look at the same time.

#38 la di dah

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Update, for those odd cat people like me:

Going TOMORROW because the rescue got back with me and they want him to go to their vet not our vet which is fair enough but I can't walk from this suburb to that one.

And he's stable, he looks the way he has all month.

But in my touching base with the rescue lady I asked about whether the runt had recovered (hoping to pick up ideas for Nimbus, maybe its antibiotics, maybe its something simple, or a vitamin supplement...) and it turns out she's actually been at vet's recommendation put to sleep from an undiagnosed failure to thrive generalized badness thing.

And she wasn't MUCH smaller than Nimbus she was just the runtiEST and he 2nd smallest.

And I'm to feed him nothing but boiled chicken today to see if its gentler on his digestion.

I wasn't actually all that worried before I thought he'd need the kitty equivalent of an Ensure shake everyday or something.  cry1.gif

He's stable, that's good, right? If he's just feeble and small I don't think I'm going to put him down for that, as long as he doesn't seem to be in pain, I'll just have a shabby cat and a stupid cat, that's okay, right? Today he ate his chicken and then camped in the track of our balcony sliding door letting Grue slide him back and forth.

Grue messes with him but they spend most of the day curled up together.

cry1.gif

#39 Lilura

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

OH LDD, how sad about Nimbus' litter mate...

If he is otherwise healthy, and you are happy to have a tiny kitten, then no reason to put him down?

Hopefully he will perk up with some extra-fulling food.

Let us know how the little puff-ball is going original.gif

#40 la di dah

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, the way he eats and cuddles, unless he starts being unable to stand/use the box/toddle around like he's doing, we're going to keep him on. We do call him The Pet Rock, ("how's the pet rock?") which sounds terrible, but he seems happy enough, he just doesn't DO anything.

Actually today I took up the kitten kibble away from him and fed him only very boiled bits of chicken breast, and I think maybe he was a bit better today, no runs. So maybe he just needs special food for awhile.

If it turns out I've just been feeding him the wrong kitten kibble this whole time, I'm going to kick my own ass.

#41 babychacha

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hope you get good news LDD.

#42 OscarAndTilly

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

Fingers crossed for good news tomorrow xxx

Edited by OscarAndTilly, 11 May 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#43 Cacti

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hope the news was good!

#44 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

FWIW, many, many years ago my cat had a litter of kittens who were all small (she was part Siamese and was not huge either), but one was distinctly midget-like. Small, and perfectly formed.  And I mean small. Would have been half the size of his mother.

He was a delightful cat, and healthy as anything. Just teeny, and perhaps a bit less um, physical than his litter-mates (smoochier, rather than playful).

I wouldn't PTS just because he wasn't growing - I'd only PTS if there was something majorly awry, that was causing pain and couldn't be resolved. Hope the vet sheds some light on the poor chap, and if you are not happy with that vet's advice, see your own vet before doing anything!

#45 la di dah

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Got back from the vet.

They think he has cat flu, and parasites. He had been wormed but he needs more/different, probably. The lack of weight-gain is the flu, said the vet.

His nose/mouth/eyes are often mucky and he sneezes a lot. They say it's probably also the general disinterest/laziness in everything BUT today he's actually been a lot more active/playful since he hasn't had diarrhea since he went to boiled chicken instead of kibble.

The vet was quite concerned about his size/weight but he looked better than he has, to my eye, since I see him everyday.

We're to go back tomorrow for more tests and more stuff. They think that it's not the kibble making him sick but to keep him on the boiled chicken and some of this perscription wet food until he recovers a bit. He had mouth ulcers that the vet showed me, on his palate, that I had never seen/noticed.

But we're cautiously optimistic. Or I am, anyway. He ran and jumped today, and instead of just lying there and allowing himself to be chewed, scrapped with Grue a little.

#46 claptrap

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Oh that does sound like cause for cautious optimism.
I so hope he continues to improve.

#47 missy78

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes, that is reason for optimism. Hope the little guy improves

#48 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Poor dude, but sounds like its fixable, so yay!

#49 Cacti

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I hope Nimbus is on the road to improvement! Grue won't know what to do when he starts being feisty.

#50 Lilura

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

hows kitty today?

Perhaps it was all part of his evil genius plan to lure grue into a false sense of security Tounge1.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.