stress during pregnancy
how much does it affect baby ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Just after some anecdotal or scientific feedback on stress during pregnancy and potential affects - and also what I can do to minimise.

I am having a very stressful time at work right now in that it's possible I will be made redundant three months out from mat leave (due in August).  I am waiting for my employer to give me some kind of detail - which they say is currently being ratified by HR & legal depts.  Every time I have a conversation with senior management about it (two full-on convos so far), baby kicks around quite alot afterwards.  This may be coincidental of course but it got me thinking.

The company knows my situation & I have made clear that putting me in this position is not good for my health, esp given my age & two early m/cs.

Obviously every individual handles stress differently so it's a hard one to have a definitive answer to.

Any thoughts ?

#2 opethmum

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I would consult a member of your union and give them the heads up. If they are making you redundant and no one else that is suspicious in my opinion. It is better go in to "that" meeting all guns blazing especially that you are pregnant and knowing your rights as a worker in that position. You may be able to negotiate a reasonable settlement if that is what you want.
I do hope that they cut you some slack and that the stress can be alleviated and quickly.
In the meantime I would seek some counselling to help you through this awful time or just keep talking to your DH and or close family member or friend to keep you sane through this.
hugs and I hope it gets better for you.

#3 ~Supernova~

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

At uni we got told that stress during pregnancy can influence a babies temperament...

On a purely anecdotal level, when pregnant with DD I had little to no stress (my whole pregnancy was a breeze) and had a difficult, needy, and non sleeping screamer. With DS I had a HIGHLY stressful pregnancy, both from pregnancy complications and stuff going on in my personal life. Despite having reflux he is a very happy, placid baby who sleeps all night long lol.

#4 whelmed

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this, I can understand why you'd worry. On a purely anecdotal level I had horrendously stressful time with work during my pregnancy including ongoing workplace bullying and a whole lot of management turmoil and and now have a happy, easy-going baby. I agree with the previous suggestion of accessing some counselling or similar to support you while you go through this. Do you have a mentor at work or a union delegate who could advise you? All the best, OP.

#5 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 13/04/2012, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would consult a member of your union and give them the heads up. If they are making you redundant and no one else that is suspicious in my opinion. It is better go in to "that" meeting all guns blazing especially that you are pregnant and knowing your rights as a worker in that position. You may be able to negotiate a reasonable settlement if that is what you want.
I do hope that they cut you some slack and that the stress can be alleviated and quickly.
In the meantime I would seek some counselling to help you through this awful time or just keep talking to your DH and or close family member or friend to keep you sane through this.
hugs and I hope it gets better for you.

Thanks opethmum.
No union I'm afraid ! And certainly no mentor - this whole process has been very poorly managed (and I have let them know that).  

It's a senior director-level position and not under an award.  There are others being made redundant across different levels, so it's not just me.

I have made them very aware of the stress levels & I know they are concerned from a corporate perspective - I'm hoping I will be able to negotiate a settlement based on the three months between now & mat leave, 3 months mat leave, then some kind of compensation for not having a job to go back to.  But the process of them actually telling/discussing with me what's on the table is taking a long time.

I have also engaged initial legal advice on best approach, and if we get to the negotiating process, will probably have someone do that on my behalf.

It's the waiting that is killing me and stressing me.  I'm just hoping it doesn't last too long.  DH is brilliant at supporting, I'm not sure there's much more I can actually do at this point.  All I want is for our much longed-for baby to be happy & healthy.  

#6 Goggie

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

OP, they sound like a large organization and therefore should have an employee assistance program (EAP) which should give you free counselling. Not from an employment law or rights perspective but to help you talk through the issues and how they are affecting you, along with some strategies to help reduce the stress you are feeling. Being in a position of uncertainty is hard at the best if times and just talking it through with someone impartial may be just what you need. Best wishes

#7 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hey Liltuss
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to go through this especially now.  I'm glad you've seeked legal advice, this is probably the best thing you could do, without sounding condescending - I know it's easier said than done, perhaps just let it go.  Be confident you have sound advice when it comes to the negotiating table and knowing you've done everything in your power to ensure you're not swindled out of your correct payout.  Remember deep breaths when you're feeling under pressure (walk away, get some fresh air) and don't forget the end goal of that beautiful baby soon to be here.... plus I'm sure you'll get another job when you are ready to head back into the workforce.

Best of luck, and take care of yourself.  

Pilarxx

#8 WinterIsComing

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I had a very stressful pregnancy, a combination of workplace conflict, personal issues and threatened preterm labour. Despite everything, DS was born very healthy, big, reasonably easy baby who is hitting all milestones well ahead. Anecdotal but perhaps encouraging to you.

#9 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (tauruspregnant! @ 13/04/2012, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP, they sound like a large organization and therefore should have an employee assistance program (EAP) which should give you free counselling.

You're quite right taurus, there is a counselling service the company has contracted.  I actually used them during the TTC/IVF process & the counsellors were seriously hopeless ! (I've been to a few).  I have a great psych that I've been to in the past under the Medicare mental health plan & still have a few visits left under that so may try her.

Thankfully, I have all the tools etc I need to do my very best to manage the stress, it's a matter of applying them & hopefully minimising it.

#10 mez70

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

It is one of those things increased stress level are best to be avoided but sometimes you just cannot help it. I know with my last Pregnancy my dad Stroke, then had a major septic infection on his foot leading to a Major op and Big Toe removed (poor circulation from stroke and other complications) so lengthy recovery, and then just when he had been discharged from respite he went on to have a heart attack (mild) and had a Pace Maker inserted so all up 3 major and life threatening illnesses between about 8 weeks and 28 weeks so as a result my stress levels were sky high, as I am an only child so managing dads care, sorting out his affairs, dealing with his work etc under POA, minding his dog etc. Then whilst dad was in Hosp I then had DS1 rushed to ED and admitted with pneumonia. You can get the picture. My OB knowing my history and what was going on kept a very close watch on me, I was on sleeping tablets very early on as I was not sleeping (at ob's suggestion)  

Strangely that bub is now my DS2 and is the most placid and easy going of all 3 of my kids.

With my first Pregnancy I had a stressfull situation at work that resulted me speaking to a relieving supervisor (mine was on leave) explain was going to leave that day though she mad a couple of calls and spoke to someone in my team who veriied all I had said but asked coupld I come in the Monday to "hand over" which I did. Left 6 weeks earlier than I was supposed to as I was having twins and struggling already and work just was not worth the risk to "them" Sometimes I have found yes you take a financial hit but walking away is better. Don't let them walk all over you but at the same time don't feel you have to fight like mad sometimes the middle ground or loosing out actually makes you the winner...

#11 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks ladies, there are definitely some anecdotal stories here that provide comfort for me in that mummy stress doesn't always equal stressful bub, and vice versa.

The legal advice I have is from a good friend of DH's who's an IR barrister and he said ultimately you just don't want to go through with the angst of challenging anything - it's just too messy; and as mez said, walking away is usually a better option if it ultimately means happiness.  I'm confident they'll give me a decent level of compensation but the wheels turn so slowly within this large organisation, the waiting is just awful.  It's ironic they keep saying my health is number one priority yet it doesn't make the HR/Finance depts move any more quickly.

#12 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Pilar Palabundar @ 13/04/2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Liltuss
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to go through this especially now.  I'm glad you've seeked legal advice, this is probably the best thing you could do, without sounding condescending - I know it's easier said than done, perhaps just let it go.  Be confident you have sound advice when it comes to the negotiating table and knowing you've done everything in your power to ensure you're not swindled out of your correct payout.  Remember deep breaths when you're feeling under pressure (walk away, get some fresh air) and don't forget the end goal of that beautiful baby soon to be here.... plus I'm sure you'll get another job when you are ready to head back into the workforce.

Best of luck, and take care of yourself.  

Pilarxx

Thanks PP, you're a sweetheart.  I must say I do have concerns that when I re-enter the workforce I'll be 44 or so, and my industry is a 'young' one.  Part of my worry (and also one of the arguments I'll be putting to them in order to get a larger payout) is that I'll be out of the 'game' for 15 months or more, without a job to return to.

I had a conversation with my senior director just now & he's told me to take time off until the decision is made (if I want to).  I think swims, massages and some gentle exercise are in order.

Edited by Liltuss, 13 April 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#13 Goggie

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Sorry you didn't have a great experience with the company's eap. I used one several years ago and found them really helpful - but it all depends on who you get!

swims and massage sound like a plan in the meantime though:)

#14 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Liltuss @ 13/04/2012, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he's told me to take time off until the decision is made (if I want to). I think swims, massages and some gentle exercise are in order.

Sounds like the plan Liltuss... enjoy it ! Prepare yourself for some soccer practice going on though...... your little one prefers you active doesn't he wink.gif

Edited by Pilar Palabundar, 13 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#15 opethmum

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

It does not really matter what level of management you are, you can still get union support should you see the need. Although it is an individual contract per se, you still can seek advice re: your redundancy options.
I really hope that you can get the maximum you deserve and that you can you can minimise the stress somewhat.
Good luck.

#16 AryaStar

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Edited by AryaStar, 04 February 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#17 Cat Burglar

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Just personally I had HEAPS of stress while pregnant and I don't think it has affected DD. She is a very intelligent, nosey, highly strung, over active individual, but so am I.

The thing is that you can stress about being stressed so try not to worry about is this going to affect my baby etc. Remember that the human race has survived thousands of years of stressful situations like wars floods famines etc and healthy babies were born nonetheless.

If you can take up yoga or meditating or something that may be beneficial.

I hope things improve for you bbighug.gif

#18 Feral Melody

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

I can relate to this. My first pregnancy was stressful. There was a lot of turmoil at my former workplace. We were suddenly being called in to financially justify our spending and our existence within the broader department and company while my supervisor was on paternity leave. I was doing a lot of shift work, so 50 hr plus weeks were the norm rather than the exception.
On top of this, our former landlord kicked us out for renovations while I was 7 months pregnant, so there was a lot of running around trying to find somewhere to live as well as juggling work stress and crazy shifts. I had an antepartum haemmorrage at 33 weeks the week we were to move house and was hospitalised for 3 nights. The only good thing about that was that I wound up work 2 weeks earlier than I would have. My section was terminated while I was on maternity leave. I received my redundancy the week I was due to return to work.

Despite a traumatic labour and a bit of feeding difficulty, my son was a very easy, chilled out baby.

#19 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 13/04/2012, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does not really matter what level of management you are, you can still get union support should you see the need. Although it is an individual contract per se, you still can seek advice re: your redundancy options.
I really hope that you can get the maximum you deserve and that you can you can minimise the stress somewhat.
Good luck.

Without going into details, it's slightly more complicated than it seems in my not being a union member but in any case, I'm confident in what I will go in negotiating for - it's really trying to get through the waiting time that's hard.

#20 minidiamond

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Soccer Mum @ 13/04/2012, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just personally I had HEAPS of stress while pregnant and I don't think it has affected DD. She is a very intelligent, nosey, highly strung, over active individual, but so am I.

The thing is that you can stress about being stressed so try not to worry about is this going to affect my baby etc. Remember that the human race has survived thousands of years of stressful situations like wars floods famines etc and healthy babies were born nonetheless.

If you can take up yoga or meditating or something that may be beneficial.

I hope things improve for you bbighug.gif

Glad your DD is nosey and perky Soccer mum !! You're right about what our forefathers/mothers went through & I've said this more generally to DH on many occasions.  Our favourite quip is how I'll just have to go straight back to working in the fields with bub on my back the day after delivery.  But the reality is we are a spoilt generation so stress is relative !

I do prenatal yoga once a week on Sats so looking forward to that tomorrow.

#21 Guest_Starletta_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Op I've been in intense stress ever since I peed on the stick!

I think I've asked my ob at very appointment about stress and pregnancy. He just makes sure my blood pressure is ok and encouraged us to learn some things to manage anxiety. It does help. I have short meditations on my iPhone which do help and I do yoga as well. Make sure you are getting enough sleep too, it can make a big difference to stress levels.

Good luck with everything original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.