Phenergan.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 muminbusiness

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Ok I need heaps of sleep to even fuction! Right now I'm getting very little sleep.
Master 3 is like a newborn baby, at least 5 times a night then 4.30am it's the start of the day.
I'm now thinking of resorting to desperate measures! Have you used phenergan? Did it help?

#2 aluminium

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

My daughter has phenergan as first step for a tree nut allergy - it makes her really hyperactive - there is no sleep to be had on phenergan. I, on the other hand, can have a 1/4 of an adult dose and be out for 16-hours.

Talk to your GP and see what they suggest. They might be able to discover some underlying causes that are keeping Master 3 awake. Have you considered his diet? Bedtime routines? Things that could make him anxious?

Good luck

#3 muminbusiness

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Yip been there done all that. It's driving me slowly insane. Thanks for your help. original.gif

#4 No girls here

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Phenergan does nothing for my kids unfortunately.

#5 lozoodle

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Phenergan hypes some kids up. My DD was given it in hospital at about 11pm for an allergic reaction she had.

By 1am when we went home she was still bouncing off the walls yyawn.gif

#6 opethmum

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

I think it is purely discipline issue then he needs to know that his actions during the night are unacceptable. Place him back in bed each time he wakes and do not let yourself give in despite protests. I would encourage him to stay in bed until the sun gets up and do not budge on this 4:30 is way too early imo.
Have a reward chart if necessary to get things going and to gain some momentum.
If you need to get a night nanny a couple of times to help you in the initial start up then by all means do so.
Good luck I hope you have some peace and soon.

#7 PaulineN

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Didn't help my DS. I resorted to letting ds sleep in my bed at 3yo just to get some sleep. In got him back into his bed within 6 or so months - talking about what a big boy he was etc etc and incentive of getting to pick a toy from the shops if he slept in his room all night without getting us up. Worked a treat! At first DS would want me to sit in the office where he could see me from his bed while he fell asleep - which I didn't mind as it was my eb/facebook time.  DS is now 5.5yo and although he's up at 5.30am he goes to be at 7.30pm and is sound asleep by 8pm and I don't have to sit in the office while he falls asleep.

Have you tried just sitting in his room while he falls asleep, then gradually over time sitting outside (perhaps you cuold read a book etc).

#8 Therese

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I think before you used medication that is is best to seek medical advice.  A Dr will be able to recommend the right dose and let you know if it is worth trying.

No sleep is so hard to deal with so I really feel for you.

#9 Daisy Goat

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Suck it up! But don't drug a child  just so you can get  unbroken sleep.

I had two (twins) like this from 18mths old to 5 years old. You cannot drug them. As a PP said it is only a bandaid. And frankly getting a taste of a couple of unbroken sleeps  makes it even more distressing when it reverts back to normal.

Do as a PP said. Put him back straight away. Tell him sternly that it is night time and he will stay in bed. Tell him that if he doesn't do this you will take away outings or toys. They will do it more if they  see that getting up gets them attention.

Otherwise learn to cope. Thats your job

Edited by Daisy Goat, 13 April 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#10 whydoibother

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

yeah phenergan makes my boys wild-they needed it for allergic conditions so even with them I use either aerius or zyrtec or they are crazy!

Also OP using phenergan is not the answer.  It is a very bad band aid that will hurt when it falls off!

#11 Chardonnay Buffay

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

DS has phenergan for allergies too - I have found in the past that you have a lovely, say 4 hours of peace - then it wears off & he wakes scratching & crying. And scratching & crying. And so on till it's light enough for me to call it morning time....

So different issues between our boys but bottom line is phenergan won't get you 8hrs sleep anyway

#12 Kay1

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

See a GP. Phenergan is not the answer but there may well be a better one out there.

#13 muminbusiness

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Daisy Goat @ 13/04/2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had two (twins) like this from 18mths old to 5 years old. You cannot drug them. As a PP said it is only a bandaid. And frankly getting a taste of a couple of unbroken sleeps  makes it even more distressing when it reverts back to normal.

Do as a PP said. Put him back straight away. Tell him sternly that it is night time and he will stay in bed. Tell him that if he doesn't do this you will take away outings or toys. They will do it more if they  see that getting up gets them attention.

Really don't appreciate this post at all! I was looking at options! And seeing if it works for others! Yes it is my job as you put it, but when he is miserable for the day and making the whole family unhappy then yes I will look at my options! Get over your self!
To others who didn't attack me, Thankyou all your stories and advice was very helpful.
He goes to sleep with in 5 mins of going to bed. When he does get up he's back to bed straight away.

#14 credence

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I would say, go and see your GP about it. They will probably know if medication is a real option.

I would say, go and see your GP about it. They will probably know if medication is a real option.

#15 FeralBob!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

See your GP about it. While Phenergan makes the majority of kids sleep, it makes a minority of kids hyperactive. My DD is one of them. And from what you're saying, you really don't need to be coping with a hyperactive non-sleeping toddler ATM.

Good luck

#16 lozoodle

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Have you tried sleep school at all? Or perhaps calling Tresillian or somewhere similar? They could give you some possible strategies to put in place to try to help things.

Remember that no change will be instant though, its going to take a lot of consistency and probably a lot more sleepless nights yet. But it will improve.

My eldest went through some shocking phases when my youngest was born, and she'd be up sometimes 8 times a night. I would keep putting her back in bed, telling her it was sleep time now.

#17 gabbigirl

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I  would use phenergan on my 2 year old as she would sneeze loads  and was really snotty (some form of hayfever i think it was) , which it stopped.  It would also give me at least a 7 hour block of sleep which was incredibly rare.  Bliss.

good luck, sleep deprivation messes with your head so I feel for you.

#18 credence

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Muminbusiness, can you for the life of you think about why he is waking up? What does he do when he wakes? Does he cry does he call out? How have you dealt with it? Do you go to him every time? Do you go to him some times and not others? Does he ever go back to sleep if you ignore it, or if you quickly call out to him to go back to sleep?

I think sleep is such a complicated issue and Phenergan might work for a few nights, but then what?

At three years of age, I would think it's appropriate to use strong firm language about your expectations, and a bit of control crying style ignoring might be appropriate at his age. At least you can clearly explain to him what is expected of him.

#19 Mummy Em

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hi Muminbusiness.

Mine was much like that until 2.5 and so I feel for you with a 3 year old still doing it. Has he always done it? Does he self settle at night and do you put him back in his own bed when he wakes? I bet you get a lot of people, including GP's saying "Oh it's a discipline issue" before even getting all the info.

I haven't used Phenergen, but my dd doesn't get drowsy on Demazin and I have been told that all the antihsthamines work the same so Phenergan is unlikely to make her drowsy either.

I reckon I'd be prepared to give it a shot for a 3 year old. I'm happy to give my child antihisthamines to manage her cold or allergy symptoms so she can sleep, I don't see the difference. Keep in mind that the main risk of antihisthamines is suppression of breathing, but they are generally considered safe in kids over 2 years.

Also, sleep problems can be secondary to other issues such as ADHD and autism. Are you concerned about that in relation to your ds?

#20 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

We had sleep issues with DS.  He had never slept more than 3 hours in his life, and was up from 2-5am wide awake every day.  I was doing "everything right".  We went to the MCHN, we watched DVDs, we did classes.  I told my routine over and over, and got lots of head-nods and questioning looks.  I felt like no one believed me.  We went to sleep school.  The nurses were a bit baffled, as we were already doing everything right, and DS was still up from 2-5am, wide awake, and waking several times a night.  After a week, they shrugged their shoulders, and I got a referral to a paed.

The paed went through our sleep journal with us, and after a consult, recommended trying phenergan for a week to see if we could reset DS's body clock.  I cried.  And cried.  I felt like a monster because of everything I had read (like the PPs) saying that drugging a child is a monstrous and hideous and horrible thing to do.  That I had failed as a mother for even contemplating medication.  That I should be "sucking it up".  So, we waited.  DH and I set a date - and kept on with all our other "bedtime strategies".  After another 3 weeks of no change, I filled the script (actually, I made DH do it, because I was so ashamed).  

We (DH) gave DS the phenergan. That night, he woke once, let out two grizzles/cries, then went back to sleep (I didn't have to get up).  He slept through until 6am.  We gave DS the phenergan for four nights.  After that, he had a half dose on the fiftth night, then nothing after that.  He has slept through (apart from teething/sick etc) ever since.  

There, I admitted it.  I used Phenergan to make my child sleep.   unsure.gif

We had tried a LOT of stuff first, and we did it under the guidance of a paed.  I certainly wouldn't recommend it as an off-the-cuff "easy way out" solution to sleep problems, but just wanted to put it out there that there are parents who care about their kids, who aren't horrible, selfish monsters, who have used to medication (short-term) for sleep issues.

OP, go talk to your GP.  bbighug.gif

#21 IVL

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

We have used Phenergan for allergies with my DD. The last time I used it was just prior to getting on a flight to Hong Kong. She broke out in welts all over and puffy eyes, itching (she is allergic a plethora things, both food and enviornmental). She is very sensitive to it, she slept for 10+ hours but was very out of sorts for the next 2 days. So whilst it may give you one nights unbroken sleep, it may make things worse in the following days.

If you are desperate for a night of peaceful sleep could you possibly send him to a relative or friend, or even leave him at home with a partner or babysitter and you go elseweher? Then you can reasses the situtation after a restful night. Sometimes things seem so much worse when you are tired.

#22 Tesseract

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Daisy Goat @ 13/04/2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is so rude and unhelpful. It shows a clear lack of compassion for anybody with a waking child, or for a child that has trouble staying asleep for that matter. I have a night waker and I also suffer from insomnia, these are real, serious, life altering issues and telling somebody who has come here for help to 'suck it up' is really gross.

The OP is clearly at her wits end. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture you know. Just because you apparently coped with it for 4 years doesn't mean everyone else can. Do you want a cookie for being The Best Mother In The World?

I mean seriously "put him straight back to bed" - yeah I'm sure the OP has never ever thought of doing this! Thanks for the tip, so helpful.

And threatening to take away his toys if he wakes up in the night and asks for his parent's attention is just plain cruel. Some people don't want to bribe, scare or force their children into not asking for help during the night. You say that your twins didn't sleep through until they were 5? Well your advice clearly wasn't that effective was it?

#23 Daisy Goat

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

OP- Sorry you took my post that way. But from what you are saying your child wakes up but goes back to bed and sleep straight away. I am unsure then what is the big problem.

Alatrocious-Andy- the three hour awake thing is what my boys did too. Under a GPs guidance I tried the Phenergan thing too. Made my guys climb the walls- literally.

IVL- you highlighted something important that is also what other people don't take into account. The Hangover. It has a horrid hangover. Anyone who has taken it themselves would know. It can leave you heavy and drowsy for hours the next  and even leave you with a lovely headache.

It is needed for desperate measures.

OP- it sounds like your issue is more with self settling that the whole waking thing. Many any children probably wake a few times a night... just like adults do. The problem is if they can't go back to sleep again.
It sound like you need to find ways to teach him to self settle when he wakes up. To not come and get you to put him back to sleep ( even i it is just a kiss and a tuck in). Hee needs to learn how to say to himself :its night time I need to go back to sleep by myself"

Have you tried a Glo-clock? This has a blue screen and and moon with stars  that count down on it that lets them know it is still sleep time till the Sun appears. It also creates a soft blue light in their room so that if it is the  black darkness that frightens them they feel safer with the light.

This is so rude and unhelpful. It shows a clear lack of compassion for anybody with a waking child, or for a child that has trouble staying asleep for that matter.
So unbelievably funny it is not funny. I have twins that  did not sleep  for more that 3 hrs at a time from the age of 12 months  to 5yrs old. They were up and bouncing around from anywhere from midnight to 4am most nights. Even now they do not sleep past 5.30am on a good day.  I have compassion and a very good understanding of sleep deprivation. But the OP has said, her child goes to sleep and goes back to sleep when put back to bed. She is not up for hours at a time plus an early morning start. Her sleep is just broken.

Edited by Daisy Goat, 13 April 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#24 muminbusiness

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

So you have been down the phenergan track to ah??? But remember DON'T drug your kids!!!
Yes he goes straight back to sleep, I on the other hand can't. Don't ask me why just cant!

#25 muminbusiness

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Also he needs his sleep! I am looking at all my options. If I do go down the phenergan route then it will be under a gps guidance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.