Innocent woman killed in police pursuit

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

AN INNOCENT mother has been killed and her teenage daughter injured after police ran a red light during a pursuit of a stolen vehicle today.

The tragic crash comes as it emerged this afternoon that the two officers did not have official permission to engage in the pursuit, which claimed the life of a 50-year-old Dianella mother and left her 16-year-old daughter in hospital.

Police said two Gang Crime Squad constables in a marked Ford Territory had been chasing the stolen grey Audi sedan when they contravened a red light and hit the Toyota Corolla travelling south through a green light on Alexander Drive at 11am.

"It is understood the Gang Crime vehicle went through a red light chasing the Audi which had also gone through a red light before it,'' Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan said.

"That crash has resulted in the death of the driver of that car, a 50-year-old woman.''

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/police-car...?fb_ref=rec-top

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Very very sad for the family and friends of the victim and I am sure the police people involved will be in serious trouble and will regret this action forever.
What else can you say! sad.gif

Edited by soontobegran, 12 April 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#3 LambChop

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Tragic mistake by the Police, they will live with that decision forever, as will the family be impacted forever.

As for the criminals they were chasing, they couldn't give a flying truck... a pox on them.

#4 purplecrayon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Having seen recently a stolen car, speeding and going through a red light very fast with no warning,  crash into another car with an innocent person in it, I have a strong view on people criticising the police.  There was no police chase on the incident I witnessed, and innocent people were very badly injured.  It is not the police that cause the tragedies in these situations it is the criminal/s who stole the car.  The article I saw implied it was the police's fault.  

It is tragic for the woman's daughter and their family and friends.  Let's get a whole lot tougher on those that steal the cars and drive recklessly and dangerously.

#5 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I am sure the police people involved will be in serious trouble and will regret this action forever.

Until the crash investigation unit has finished their investigation I would refrain from making those type of comments that I bolded.

Did you miss this part of the article?

Today, Mr O'Callaghan confirmed the officers had activated their lights and sirens although a witness at the scene told Channel 10 they hadn't.

While sad what about a little personal responsibility for the driver, how did she miss the speeding car going through seconds before the police car did and miss seeing the police car.

#6 LambChop

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

purplecrayon - the fault part is that the Police didn't follow 'chase protocol' designed to keep innocents safe.  Yes they should be 'allowed' to chase, but clearly being in public, safety is paramount.

#7 LambChop

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

While sad what about a little personal responsibility for the driver, how did she miss the speeding car going through seconds before the police car did and miss seeing the police car.

Depends how fast they were all travelling and if in fact the police car did have its lights on.  Guess the investigation will reveal more facts.

#8 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Lambchop where your there?  Did you witness the crash?  Were you in the police car?

If you answer no to all of these questions you can't state
that the fault part is that the Police didn't follow 'chase protocol'

Until all the investigations have been concluded I would refrain from making those kind of comments about the police.

#9 Currywurst

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 12/04/2012, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until the crash investigation unit has finished their investigation I would refrain from making those type of comments that I bolded.

The speeding car did not hit and kill her the police car did. If the lights and sirens were not on then she may not have even been aware that they were being chased. From the article it would appear the police are at fault. Must await the investigation but I really feel for the family of the two that were killed.

#10 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

are you serious??  ohmy.gif

#11 Guest_NinjahAlpaca_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

I read this earlier and was so saddened to hear it.

It's such a tough situation - the police HAVE to come down on these car morons, and yet by doing so it can put others in danger.

There'll be no blame from me until full investigation, but in all likelihood I'm guessing it will come down to tragic accident.

My thoughts are with her daughter and family.

sad.gif

#12 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

are you serious??

Yes actually I am.  All police cars have digital equipment these days so it's all recorded the police say lights and sirens were on making them visable.  Just because 'witnesses" say they weren't doesn't mean that what the witnesses are saying is true.  There was a case here in the A.C.T a few years ago where a family was killed(mum,dad, small baby) by a speeding driver(driver died as well) only the passenger survived witnesses stated that the police were right behind them yet the evidence showed that they didn't come upon the site until 5 minutes AFTER it happened(witnesses were WRONG) Hence why I am stating REFRAIN from saying the police are to BLAME UNTIL ALL INVESTIGATIONS ARE DONE.

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Why?
It has been released they were not following protocol, they had not been given permission for the pursuit...it is no presumption they will be in trouble.

Sorry but please do not try and lay any blame on the woman who was innocently going through an intersection with her daughter.

#14 Lim Lam

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (NinjahAlpaca @ 12/04/2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read this earlier and was so saddened to hear it.

It's such a tough situation - the police HAVE to come down on these car morons, and yet by doing so it can put others in danger.

There'll be no blame from me until full investigation, but in all likelihood I'm guessing it will come down to tragic accident.

My thoughts are with her daughter and family.

sad.gif

This puts eloquently what I couldnt

#15 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Isn't this exactly the same as making comments about the police being at fault? Were you at the scene and observed her not reacting to any chase which may or may not have been immediately apparent? (depending on outcome of investigation)

All I do know is that it is a desperately sad outcome for the lady killed, her friends and family AND the police officers involved in the chase as they will have been affected by this as well. Thinking of everyone involved in this. Except for the person whose actions caused this crash - the scumbag who was running from the police.

#16 Hayleymumof3

It has been released they were not following protocol, they had not been given permission for the pursuit...it is no presumption they will be in trouble.

They need to call in that they are activating a pursuit they don't need permission to do so.  Stop laying blame on the feet of the police UNTIL ALL INVESTIGATIONS ARE DONE.

ETA: All I am trying to say that until all the FACTS(not speculation) are in stop blaming the police you can't know what went on unless you were in the car with the police.

Edited by hayleymumof3, 12 April 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#17 Hashley

REFRAIN from saying the police are to BLAME UNTIL ALL INVESTIGATIONS ARE DONE
But you're quick insinuate the deceased driver is at fault for not anticipating a police chase.

Sometimes things are a serious of unfortunate events and in this case it starts with the car thieves who can take full responsibility IMO.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 12/04/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lambchop where your there?  Did you witness the crash?  Were you in the police car?

If you answer no to all of these questions you can't state

Until all the investigations have been concluded I would refrain from making those kind of comments about the police.

My DH is a retired career police officer....most of the time they make the right call but sometimes they don't.
They did not have permission for this pursuit....they will be in trouble regardless of what the investigations reveal.

#19 purplecrayon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

My frustration is that the thieves will drive dangerously regardless of whether there are police in chase or not.   The public's safety is at risk from these criminals.  The police chasing them will improve the chances of catching them sooner and minimising the time they are driving around like this.  

After talking with the fire officers and police that attended the most recent incident I witnessed, the officers indicated that it is really common  that they steal the car keys and drive recklessly until they crash the stolen car and then run off. The officers told me several stories where emergency personnel had been attending another incident and were nearly killed by a stolen car.

That's why I'd like to see more of a focus on punishing the criminals who steal the cars in the first place, than the focus on the fact that there was a police chase .  There are many accidents caused by stolen cars and many of them are not a police chase.  The recent article seem to focus on the police chase only.  

#20 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

My DH is a retired career police office

The fact that your DH is a retired police officer makes me very surprised that you are so quick to judge the police as guilty before all the facts are in.

But you're quick insinuate the deceased driver is at fault for not anticipating a police chase.

No where did I say she was to blame I said "personal responsibility" which means she could have been distracted or just didn't see them I never said that she was to blame.

Edited by hayleymumof3, 12 April 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#21 katniss

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

If the lowlives who stole the car are caught, they should be charged with murder.

#22 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

double post.

Edited by hayleymumof3, 12 April 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 12/04/2012, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They need to call in that they are activating a pursuit they don't need permission to do so.  Stop laying blame on the feet of the police UNTIL ALL INVESTIGATIONS ARE DONE.

ETA: All I am trying to say that until all the FACTS(not speculation) are in stop blaming the police you can't know what went on unless you were in the car with the police.

It just seems really inappropriate for you to be so vigorously defending their actions here yet so ready to suggest the deceased woman was at fault for not 'seeing the car coming'.

It appears they didn't call in the pursuit........I do know the protocol and they must get permission to continue once they have activated a pursuit.

#24 aussiespecial123

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

I feel sympathy for the accident family involved and the police officers and their family too.

However I also feel that police are dammed if they do and dammed it they dont. Everyone gets to critise the actions of police in a second to second break down of events, when reality when a situation occurs for police - they dont have that time nor luxury.  

You just cant win -

#25 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

..I do know the protocol and they must get permission to continue once they have activated a pursuit.

My bold you said they had to get permission to start a pursuit not to continue, I corrected you.  Stop second guessing the officers involved you don't know that they wouldn't have gotten permission if they hadn't crashed the car you don't know how long they were following the stolen car.  No one knows but the investigators.

Edited by hayleymumof3, 12 April 2012 - 08:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.