Buffet Food Ideas - Winter Party

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OneProudMum

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

I've got a party for 50 people to throw coming up in August and I am looking for buffet food ideas.

Somethings that can be cooked in the oven, a slow cooker or electric wok that can be kept heated electrically on the day.

So far we have homemade fried rice and pasta bake.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by OneProudMum, 12 April 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Beef & red wine.

Curried prawns

stir-fry

#3 CountryFeral

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Do a ring around and gather together all the fondue sets that are lurking in the back of the cupboards of your friends/friends parents.

Fondue is GREAT!

Not only is it entertainment but food too!

If you can get enough sets you can have a whole array of different fondues both savoury and sweet.

#4 paddyboo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

mini pies/sauasage rolls/pizzas/chicken wings always go down a treat in winter.

maybe you could also cook up a batch of yummy soup and have little bowls out

#5 Oolia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

How about:

Curries
Stews
Casseroles
Zucchini slice
Cauliflower & Broccoli with cheese sauce
Potato Bake
Roasted vegies - sweet potato, zucchini, mushrooms etc.

Good luck original.gif

#6 OneProudMum

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Forgot to add there will be 50 people approx. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

#7 Escapin

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'd do large amounts of say 2 mains and 3 sides rather than a bunch of different things. You can then concentrate on making a few things extra yummy rather than stressing about a bunch of different dishes.

#8 fooiesmum

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Tacos or Nachos with shredded beef and beans (hot) - plus the usual accompaniments (salsa, corn, guacamole, sour cream)

Easy to do for a crowd original.gif

#9 Mama Midwife

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

At my brother's wedding, they had a massive pot of pumpkin soup, ham rolls and hot chicken rolls for a supper, due to it being afternoon lunch reception and the reception going until 11pm that night.

#10 *mylittleprince*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Is it just you cooking? If not I would make one starter, two mains and one dessert and then get a bunch of people to cook so it's nice and easy.

You could do something like:

Starter
Butternut pumpkin soup and mini rolls

Mains
Something meaty - beef lasagne/chicken curry and rice, etc
Something vegetarian - vegetable lasagne or vegetable stacks/ mushroom risotto
I would always have one big salad, most people like a bit of salad no matter what the weather and small rolls to make it go further.

Dessert
Something easy to make in large amounts like: trifle, brownies and ice cream, etc

Good luck with your party original.gif

#11 Pearson

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Beef Stroganoff
Portugese Chicken Casserole
Slow Cooker Roast Lamb (cook it, then slice it up back into the slow cooker)
Chicken wingettes/drumettes
Soup

You could cook these in advance as well and freeze them, microwave on the night and keep them warm in slow cookers (beg and borrow a couple from friends, family and neighbours).  Dont forget the old fashioned deep Fryers also are good to keep things warm if you have them.

Have the pasta bake vegetarian or creamy, and use this and the fried rice as sides, or you could do Potato Bake too.  Bread rolls or slice baguettes as well.

We had portable bain marie's at a june night party and they did not keep the food hot enough.

If you are looking for pre-dinner things, you could buy these and cook them in the afternoon or in a pie warmer (you could hire for the night for around $50).
Or, as PP's have said - the mexican dishes (depends, some older people dont like this)

#12 ~mimo~

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

lamb & rosemary pies - or no pastry and just have it as a casserole and maybe some fresh, crusty bread or just the rice you have already. yummo!

let me know if you want recipe original.gif

#13 credence

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Last year at my DS's first birthday the best thing we did was make Lasagne. I just made up 2 big lasagne's a couple of days before and just popped it in the oven on the day. It's great because it can stay hot out of the oven for 2 hours if you keep it wrapped in foil, leaving space to do other dishes in the oven.

#14 OneProudMum

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (~mimo~ @ 12/04/2012, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lamb & rosemary pies - or no pastry and just have it as a casserole and maybe some fresh, crusty bread or just the rice you have already. yummo!

let me know if you want recipe original.gif

YES please! That sounds delish!!

QUOTE (credence @ 12/04/2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last year at my DS's first birthday the best thing we did was make Lasagne. I just made up 2 big lasagne's a couple of days before and just popped it in the oven on the day. It's great because it can stay hot out of the oven for 2 hours if you keep it wrapped in foil, leaving space to do other dishes in the oven.

Brilliant original.gif

#15 knittingkitten

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Curry. Make it the day before. One vege, one chicken, one beef or lamb.

I'd suggest vegie/lentil curry this for the vege one.

Serve in large bowls, borrow or beg a large rice cooker and a bucket of papadums (btw pappadums are yummy not cooked in oil but zapped in the microwave for 60 seconds.)
And small bowls of bought chutneys, yoghurt raita and and sliced chillies. And one huge bowl of green salad.

#16 claptrap

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

hi OPM

want kind of group are you catering for?  i.e. mix of adults and children / some elderly / some fussy eaters?  What kind of occasion?

For me it would depend on who I'm feeding and what kind of event, and how formal I wanted to be.
I like a themed buffet - so all Italian or all Mexican for example.

I would definitely go for larger quantities and fewer choices - so 4 casseroles to choose from rather than 8 (for example).  huge platters overflowing with something delectable rather than lots of little bitty plates all with different things.

It depends a bit on what kind of seating arrangements you'll have (are we talking plates on knees or standing up, eat with a fork type stuff) and what kinds of plates you'll serve on and how you'll be washing up, too!

#17 ~elle~

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Our engagement party was late May out side in Mum and Dad's backyard. Approx 75 people.

We had about 5 crockpots going all with different dishes / curries/ chicken/ meats etc

A big basket of rolls, a large steamed (microwave) rice.

did have about 4 salads but they were barely touched.

Dessert table held a huge selection of cakes/ slices/ cheesecakes.Mum did the engagement cake.

We had another table for drinks in esky's / tray full of wine glasses / ordinary glasses etc.

Another table near the desserts with a borrowed Urn and tray of mugs, tea/ coffee/ hot chocolate/ jug of milk/ sugar/ teaspoons.

We had enough tables but we hired 80 chairs for the night.

It was great, dad built this thing that enclosed the big patio they had - so it was only open on one side and people could sit in the ajoining family room/ lounge/games room if they wanted.

Great night!!! Hardly any hot food leftover.

#18 noi'mnot

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

This is making me SO hungry!

Personally, I'd gather together about 6 slowcookers and do three different dishes (one for every 2 slowcookers) - probably a beef and red wine, a chicken cacciatore and a vegie casserole. I'd have a gazillion bread rolls to go with. I'd also have a couple of massive foil trays of potato bake, and maybe a big dish of couscous.

I guess I don't have to decide what we'll be eating next week now, as I'm going to have to cook all of the above after thinking about them!

Enjoy OP, and let us know how you go!

#19 ~mimo~

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Lamb, rosemary and garlic pies

Ingredients (serves 8)

1/4 cup olive oil
1kg diced lamb
1 red onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled, cubed
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup gravy powder
3 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons cornflour
4 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten

Method
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the lamb. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining lamb.
2. Heat remaining oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add carrots. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and gravy powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Return lamb to pan. Add stock and worcestershire sauce. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until lamb is tender. Stir in rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine cornflour and 2 tablespoons warm water. Add to lamb mixture. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
5. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Lightly grease two 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dishes. Line base and sides of each dish with 1 sheet of pastry, trimming excess. Place each dish on a baking tray. Line pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with uncooked rice or ceramic pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove baking paper and rice or weights. 6. Divide lamb mixture between pastry cases. Place remaining pastry sheets over filling. Trim. Press edges together with a fork to seal. Prick top of pastry with a fork. Brush with egg.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes
Stand all pies for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, as filling will be very hot. To freeze the lamb and rosemary pies, wrap in cling wrap then foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight before reheating. Nutrition data is per pie.

I don't bother with pastry for the base, I just put pastry on top.

#20 OneProudMum

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (dogged @ 12/04/2012, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi OPM

want kind of group are you catering for?  i.e. mix of adults and children / some elderly / some fussy eaters?  What kind of occasion?

For me it would depend on who I'm feeding and what kind of event, and how formal I wanted to be.
I like a themed buffet - so all Italian or all Mexican for example.

I would definitely go for larger quantities and fewer choices - so 4 casseroles to choose from rather than 8 (for example).  huge platters overflowing with something delectable rather than lots of little bitty plates all with different things.

It depends a bit on what kind of seating arrangements you'll have (are we talking plates on knees or standing up, eat with a fork type stuff) and what kinds of plates you'll serve on and how you'll be washing up, too!

Adults and children for a baptism. We've hired a hall so tables and chairs are provided.

QUOTE (~mimo~ @ 12/04/2012, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lamb, rosemary and garlic pies

Ingredients (serves 8)

1/4 cup olive oil
1kg diced lamb
1 red onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled, cubed
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup gravy powder
3 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons cornflour
4 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten

Method
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the lamb. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining lamb.
2. Heat remaining oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add carrots. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and gravy powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Return lamb to pan. Add stock and worcestershire sauce. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until lamb is tender. Stir in rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine cornflour and 2 tablespoons warm water. Add to lamb mixture. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
5. Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Lightly grease two 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dishes. Line base and sides of each dish with 1 sheet of pastry, trimming excess. Place each dish on a baking tray. Line pastry cases with baking paper. Fill with uncooked rice or ceramic pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove baking paper and rice or weights. 6. Divide lamb mixture between pastry cases. Place remaining pastry sheets over filling. Trim. Press edges together with a fork to seal. Prick top of pastry with a fork. Brush with egg.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes
Stand all pies for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, as filling will be very hot. To freeze the lamb and rosemary pies, wrap in cling wrap then foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight before reheating. Nutrition data is per pie.

I don't bother with pastry for the base, I just put pastry on top.

Yum! Thanks so much for taking the time to type it out. Much appreciated.

#21 ~mimo~

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (OneProudMum @ 13/04/2012, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adults and children for a baptism. We've hired a hall so tables and chairs are provided.

Yum! Thanks so much for taking the time to type it out. Much appreciated.

No worries, but it was just a C&P job. wink.gif

Enjoy the baptism. original.gif

#22 claptrap

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi OPM

I'm guessing then that it's a lunch rather than evening meal?

The old classics plus a few basics like your pasta bake and the lamb pie would work well in that case.
Perhaps also home made sausage rolls - they'd go well with the children.  And some mini quiches - lorraine, and spinach/fetta.  The earlier suggestion of a pie warmer was a good one.  

I hope it all goes well for you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.