What do you say to people who pity you for having a December baby?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I know so many people TTCing at the moment that have said to me that they were not going to try last month because they didnt want a December baby.

People have said that they feel sorry for people born in December because their birthday is so close to Christmas and dont want that for their child.

DH and I tried for over a year to get pregnant so I couldnt care less if bub is born on Christmas Day, just as long as she/he is healthy.

Has anyone experienced this "oh poor you/ poor child" kind of thing when you have told them bub is due in December?

Any tips on what to say?

#2 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yes and I have had the "poor child" comments about my DD. She is born a few days before Christmas. I just tell people we will always make a special effort to have DDs birthday seperate from Christmas. She has had one birthday so far and it turned out to be great as everyone was in the celebrating spirit only days before Christmas, noone had gone away yet and the weather was just beautiful.

#3 bubzillaiscoming

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

My birthday is 9/12 and my younger sister is 23/12. We have both turned out ok! I never really received any comments - probably cos my sister got them all! Depending when your bub is due, I would say you'll probs only get comments if it is sometime after the 20th of Dec or before the 10th of Jan. Generally speaking it can be difficult with parties and so on, but at the end of the day, I would just look blankly at the person and politely ask WHY it is a problem - such a lovely time of year, people are happy and so on. MUCH better than having a WINTER baby I would think. I would just ignore them, but as a personal tip - just make sure you always wrap bub's presents in birthday paper - not xmas paper  laugh.gif

#4 Charmzy

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ignore it, there is always going to be something they will have e negative comment about. I get the same sort of 'sympathy' comments over 2 of my daughters sharing the same birthday.

#5 -HungryWoman-

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

My DD was born on the 24th Dec.  Does it really matter what other people say???  I couldnt care less:) We always make an effort for her birthday so thats all that matters

#6 Leha

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Do people actually stop TTC just to avoid a Xmas baby. That's so ridiculous.

Mine is the 5th and it probably not close enough to be an issue but I love this time of the year to have a bday. It's the party season, it's warm and everybody is happy this time of the year. Any birthday parties are in warm weather. I would not want to have a birthday any other time of the year.

#7 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

A baby is a baby is a baby, regardless of their birthday!

While mine are not December, I have 3 in the first 9 days of January, and the other 2 towards the end of January.

TBH, if it was just one, it wouldn't register on my "bovvered" radar at all.  My comeback if anyone felt the need to comment would be something smartarse like "all 365 days are created equal".

(But I do NOT recommend having 5 children all born in the same month, being the month straight after Christmas.  Really, really bad non-planning in our house.)

#8 tanj

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

I just say its a wonderful time of year, everyone is happy and in the festive spirit, so another reason to celebrate!

We make an effort in June, to have a special day where our little one gets to choose a day out, fav food and new present!

#9 Maple Leaf

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

DD1 was due xmas eve but arrived on dec 19th instead. She loves her birthday and that it's so close to xmas.

The people who pity her are the ones with the problem. She feels her birthday is special and I wouldn't have her think otherwise.
It was kinda fun having a newborn laying under the tree for xmas too. wink.gif
She was my present that year.

#10 Ninja Lemur

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I am one of those silly people who avoided the Christmas baby.  My best friend at primary school absolutely hated being born on Christmas Day so I thought it kindest to avoid that if possible.  A relative has her birthday on 1st january and gets upset when people promise to come and then are hang over and don't bother.

So those are the events that influenced my bahviour but I would never comment on anyone else's children's birth dates.

#11 *mylittleprince*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

My birthday is December 29 and I love it. It's always such a festive and happy time of year. As a child, it meant all my friends were home on holidays and that we could have a party on my actual birthday and not just on the weekend. I also was able to get 'big' combined gifts if there was something very expensive I really liked (still got a little gift on the other day anyway). I have many happy memories of childhood birthdays original.gif

#12 Honey Pot

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

My birthday is a couple of days after Christmas and to be hopnest it was a pain growing up.  I rarely ahd a party as everyone was away on holidays and I did have some people give me a "combined Christmas / Birthday present" which would be an identical present to the one my sister got for Christmas too (despite her birthday being June and having got another present during teh year).

However, NOW, I love it!  I'm always on holidays as are my whole family.  I've never once worked on my birthday and everyone is in a good mood from Christmas and ready for an excuse to keep celebrating.  I also now ask for comnbined Christmas / birthday presents and get something really good rather than 2 cheaper presents over the year.  

It's funny how the things that were negatives as a kid are absolute positives now. original.gif

#13 hell kitty

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

DD's birthday is early January, and although it's really close to Xmas, we always make sure she has a separate birthday party and presents.
However, all her little mother's group friends are also early Jan, so it's a bit hard on the wallet with Xmas, then all the birthday parties straight after!

#14 IsolaBella

When I announced I was PG and due Dec 31st my siblings comment was "How Could You?" (ie give my child a Dec birthday) as both my siblings are Dec birthdays and hate it.

DD was scheduled for a c/s 22nd Dec but decided 5th Dec was a better birthday. So who knows when bubs will arrive anyway.

I will admit that I previously had considered avoiding TTC to avoid a Dec birthday, but after 6m of TTC without result I was just happy to get a BFP in the end.

#15 Lulus mum

My birthday is the 17th of December and to be honest there was a time there when it sucked mostly as a kid the older I got the better it got because the weather was awesome and everyone was in a party mood.
Even as a December babay it didn't spot DH TTC we just wanted a baby, as it turned out DD was born 17 January lol.

#16 Majeix

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Oh sheesh really? My birthday is new years eve and I always whinge about that. My second baby is born exactly a week before Christmas. Hell I think it would be easier if her birthday was another time of year but only for silly reasons. I might mutter in passing, and half jokingly. However their nothing I would worry about enough to try and avoid. I mean I joke about hating when my birthday as everyone always has plans is busy but seriously there is bigger things...?

#17 Riotproof

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

DH and I tried for over a year to get pregnant so I couldnt care less if bub is born on Christmas Day, just as long as she/he is healthy.

Honestly, just say this. People will shut up quickly.

#18 Lyn29

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Maple Leaf @ 12/04/2012, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD1 was due xmas eve but arrived on dec 19th instead.

My DD too! She's 19 now, but that was a special Christmas!

Apart from the in-laws deciding to put the "family" Christmas on her birthday a few times (so we didn't go - birthdays always trump Christmas in our house) it's not been any more issue than DS's Easter birthday.

I think birthdays are what you make them no matter when they are - and I suspect most who talk about bad luck are just making a throwaway comment that's not worth worrying over.

#19 Guest_tigerdog_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'd love to have had a summer/December baby, the mood is already so celebratory! (mine are June and August - I felt I missed out on getting out and about to show off babies as it was so dam cold sad.gif ).

Edited by tigerdog, 12 April 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#20 Hollag26

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I would reply with 'we were trying to avoid a June date due to end of financial year'. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers... original.gif

My first is due is December and i feel completely blessed as there are people who would do anything to have a baby due on any date.

I dont get why people would ask you such a silly question

rolleyes.gif

#21 la di dah

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

I would probably make up an answer, I guess I am a troll.

I'd say something about "oh it was the only way to be sure of a positive astrological chart for this aspect of Mercury" all happily.

If they've got enough time on their hands to worry about when somebody else's baby is born, leave 'em something to think about.

#22 PurpleNess

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

I simply say that my child's birthday is far more important to me that  one of a made up person......

#23 OneProudMum

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Screw 'em!

#24 newyearbaby

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

My first son was born on NYE at 10.03pm, and everyone always comments with the poor child type lines. It hasn't phased him yet though. And he gets major fireworks each year, free of charge original.gif

#25 Emily of New Moon

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Just smile and say, "No need to pity us.  We think we're very lucky having a December baby!  It's our special Christmas gift.  We have another reason to celebrate in December now."

My DD was born in December and we've not had one comment about her due date or her birth date being bad timing.  Everyone was just so happy for us.  People who pity you for that have their pity misplaced, I say.

I did have one little boy (who clearly has a December birthday) tell me very earnestly, "Please make sure you give her both birthday and Christmas presents" when I told him DD's birthday.  And we'll definitely do this. original.gif

(Edited because I'm pedantic about punctuation marks.)

Edited by duckypond, 12 April 2012 - 04:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.