Argh.. Do you often read two books at once?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

So I started a book, Juliet by Anne Fortier, back in January, and at only 50 or so pages in, I just stopped reading. I have read so many books since then, and am thinking, after finishing off a book last night, that I really should finish it off before I get my next one in the post to read!!

Do you often do this? I feel silly having not finished it, yet it doesn't appeal all that much to me!

Do you often leave books half finished? original.gif

#2 WakingUpTired

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

If I really dislike them I just flip to the back and read the end than get rid of them.  That way I know what happens and I figure it's not worth wasting your time if you can't get into or don't like it.

#3 Majeix

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I feel no obligation to finish books I don't like. I often read several books at once and if I don't finish them but were enjoying them I will wait and try to read them again. If I like them I will probably read them more then once.

#4 katpaws

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

If i am doing research, i can have multiple books around that i am reading. Novels - i can be reading 2-3 at a time.

I try to give books a chance before i give up on them (i sometimes read the end to see if it is worth the hard slog of reading the whole thing). If i can't see any pleasure coming from reading then i give up, too many other stories out there to read.

All books on my bookshelf have been read multiple times except for one - Pillars of the Earth which i keep because it was a birthday present.

#5 Mel.Bell

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

I don't particularly STOP reading a book unless it's boring but I can read a few books at once. Say, start reading one book & after a few chapters I hear that another book is interesting, start reading that while I am reading the other book. I am currently reading a book that my mum is readin & we only have one copy so I can only read that when I visit her (she is a slow reader & won't part with it hehehehe). If I stop reading a book all together, I will forget what happened at the beginning & will have to read it all again. Unless it's boring, like I have said, I read books til the end & I am a fast reader even with 2 kids original.gif

#6 tick

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I usually have a few books on the go at any one time.  TBH I don't often finish them - I tend to flip around and read the bits that interest me and skim read or simply leave the rest.  I don't often read novels, but things like biographies I'm probably more inclined to read in a linear fashion and finish completely.

#7 Mel.Bell

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 12/04/2012, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time. I wouldn't worry about not finishing a book if you don't like it, the author won't mind. tongue.gif

Yeah, they already have your money hehehe

#8 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I've got 4 on the go at the moment.
3 true crime ones and a UFC one.

#9 Hermes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm reading 3 right now, they are all very different so that when I get a bit bored (they all seems to be epic in size) I can pick up another.

#10 71Cath

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am not as multi-talented as the rest of you and I can only read one book at a time.

#11 Maple Leaf

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I give a book between 50-100 pages, and if it doesn't grab me, I don't keep going. So many brilliant books to read out there that I don't like wasting my (very precious) reading time!

I only have one book on the go at a time ... original.gif

#12 The Awesome One

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I've only done it once when I just could not get into the book, it is still sitting on my shelf waiting to be finished, god knows when I will get to it though.

#13 Bel Rowley

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Generally if I put a book aside to tackle something else, it's because I'm not really enjoying it, and 9 times out of 10 I never go back and finish it. Most recently it happened with 'Reading Lolita in Tehran', which I was recommended by a friend. I just couldn't get into it.

#14 Isolabella

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (katpaws @ 12/04/2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I try to give books a chance before i give up on them (i sometimes read the end to see if it is worth the hard slog of reading the whole thing). If i can't see any pleasure coming from reading then i give up, too many other stories out there to read.

All books on my bookshelf have been read multiple times

This is me too.

Sometimes I am just not in the 'mood' for a particular Author's book, but then later come back to it and really enjoy it.

I am very happy to now have my whole back catalogue on my eReader.... makes it much easier to go back and re-read books in a series.

As I said sometimes although I do like an Author, I am just not in the mood for their particular writing style... they may be too 'dark' when at that point in time I want something 'light and fluffy'. Othertimes I want 'serious'.

#15 Charmzy

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yes I have 3 on the go at the moment for different reasons.
1. is my in the car at school waiting for pickup book
2. is m bedtime book
3. is my any other time I can squeeze in some reading book  

Enjoying all equally but school holidays mean I've slipped behind on book1!

#16 ali27

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I always have multiple books on the go. As an English teacher, there are always "set texts". I love biographies and non-fiction histories and will have a couple of those as well. Often a "trashy" novel as well, just to unwind in the evenings!

#17 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Frequently, but it goes with my occupation, and sadly, even when I think a book is sh*te I have to finish it and have some cogent thoughts about it too.

#18 Airene

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

I only read books one at a time. When the book gets boring I just skim it or go right through the ending, but never stopping outright in the middle of the story.

#19 Catmummy

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

I normally read a non fiction and a fiction book at the same time.

Right now I'm reading a rather dry book on art history and a mystery novel.

#20 rubyruu

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

I usually have a couple of books on the go at one time, one an audio book in the car for the way to and from work and then a book in my hand bag for when I can sit and read.

#21 Guest_Spunkrat_*

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Edited by Spunkrat, 29 April 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#22 Liadan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

I read one book at a time. I tend to finish a book within 3 days anyway. I love reading.

There has only ever been ONE book that I have started and hadn't finished. I read a variety of books, and they don't always click with me at first, but I push through. But I just couldn't do it with one book, a classic novel. It was years ago. I might give it another go one day.

#23 ubermum

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

I have one going at the moment for book club, another that has been taking me a while because it is a bit of a hard slog and one that is just for fun and a real page turner. I also had uni reading to do this week. I don't watch tv though and am full term pregnant so not sleeping much at all. biggrin.gif

#24 BlondieUK

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

I always have at least 2 books on the go original.gif

#25 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

if im not 'into it' by chapter 3 ill read the ending and give up. but i usually have a few on the go, on my phone, and 1 in the loo (my quiet place)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Wondersuit heaven: Bonds & Disney launch exclusive collection

Bonds and Disney fans with babies to buy for will be celebrating this news. Bonds and Disney have just released collaboration Wondersuits.

Perth hospital mistakes cancerous tumour for "behavioural issues"

When Naomi Holly, a mother of three, noticed her eight-month-old daughter Nora, was having difficulty crawling and standing up as normal, she knew there was something wrong.

Piano playing dad soothes son to sleep in moments

There's nothing more frustrating, or distressing to a parent than a sick child who can't  - or won't got to sleep. 

Lucky escape for mum and bub after snake found in couch

Perth mother Laurie Rushton Dyble was sitting on a recliner chair in her home holding her six-month-old son when her husband suddenly told her to get up and leave the room.

When your partner misses the birth

While no one wants their partner to miss their baby’s birth, it can happen. Here’s what to do if you find yourself in that situation.

Motherhood challenge: smug or just a bit of fun?

The #motherhoodchallenge sounds harmless, doesn't it? Some women disagree.

Who's the mum? Family photo goes viral

Last year, it was "The Dress". This year, it is a family photo that is breaking the internet.

5 easy meditation practices for beginners

So who's with me? You know meditating is one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself.

Woman to go on trial for being a bad housewife

An Italian woman could face up to six years in jail after her husband accused her of not doing enough cooking and cleaning at home.

Is the latest advice on women and drinking over the top?

While most expectant mums know to stop drinking when they’re pregnant, experts now warn women should stop drinking earlier than that. Is this necessary?

How household chores can double as a workout

If there's less than a slim chance you'll find time to get out for a jog or to hit the gym today, take heart in knowing that household chores contribute to the calorie equation.

I have no idea what I'm doing - and that's okay

Why don't we talk about the fact that when everything goes right, we may still feel completely lost, and certain that we have failed?

Dad warns of hair tourniquet danger after baby almost loses toe

A shocked father has shared his family's experience in a bid to warn other parents about the dangers of hair becoming entangled around a baby's toe.

Town welcomes first baby in 28 years

Since the 1980s, the Italian town of Ostana had not seen the birth of a single baby.

How to start teaching your kids road safety

It's something that can be taught as early as possible and reinforced as they get older and more mobile - even from toddlerhood.

Just announced: Bugaboo Cameleon³ Classic+ Collection update

Meet the brand new understated chic model from Bugaboo.

The emotional moment a mum hears her late son's heartbeat

It's been two and a half years since Heather Clark's seven-month-old son Lukas passed away.

Nine reasons why you have 'brain fog'

One minute your productivity is skyrocketing and the next you're sitting there trying to focus – just like that you draw blank, your brain, mush.

I had a caesarean and it was beautiful

Guess what? Despite not pushing him out, I cried, and my heart skipped, and I felt the rush of love and pride when I saw him for the first time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Penny Wong

'The most hurtful argument in the marriage equality debate'

Labor frontbencher Penny Wong is used to to hearing arguments against same-sex marriage. But for Australia's most prominent gay politician, one hurts more than others.

Does exercise have to be fun to work?

Some things in life are inherently served with a big scoop of fun: balloons, bubbles, cupcakes to name but a few, but exercise?

Hair dye gives woman second-degree burns

She wanted a fresh colour for 2016, but instead she got chemical burns.

Kelly Slater saves mum and toddler from 'freak wave'

A Perth family has thanked US surfing "legend" Kelly Slater after the star saved a mother and a young toddler from "a freak wave" in Hawaii.

Apple recalls millions of power adapters

Tech giant instigates massive international recall of power point adapters due to risk of electric shock.

Toddler's adorable alphabet goes viral

It's impossible not to share this little boy's excitement  about the alphabet.

Tot's nighttime waking saves family's life

Like all tired parents, Monique and Kyle Ruppel were looking forward to the day their 15-month-old daughter Celia would start sleeping through the night. 

Australian mum gives birth to quintuplets

An Australian mum who has shared the ups and downs of carrying quintuplets has welcomed her five babies into the world.

Dad of four girls faints at gender reveal for fifth baby

It was all too much excitement for this dad.

The simple way you can help your baby's language development

The way parents respond to their child's babbling can shape how their infants communicate.

Zika virus is 'spreading explosively': WHO

The World Health Organization announced that it will convene an emergency meeting about Zika.

National database recommended for child protection cases

Baby Ebony was repeatedly failed by the agencies tasked with her protection before her horrific death at the hands of her father, South Australia's deputy coroner says.

Hospitals put babies at risk by ignoring policy on elective caesareans

Thirty-eight weeks or 39? Non-medical factors are pushing women to have elective caesareans earlier than official guidelines - and hospitals are playing along.

Police help deliver baby on busy roadside

Two police officers delivered more than a traffic fine by the side of a busy Melbourne road yesterday.

1D's Louis Tomlinson shares first photo of baby

One Direction's Louis Tomlinson has posted the first picture of his baby boy, Freddie, on social media.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Melbourne!

Get your ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.