Argh.. Do you often read two books at once?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

So I started a book, Juliet by Anne Fortier, back in January, and at only 50 or so pages in, I just stopped reading. I have read so many books since then, and am thinking, after finishing off a book last night, that I really should finish it off before I get my next one in the post to read!!

Do you often do this? I feel silly having not finished it, yet it doesn't appeal all that much to me!

Do you often leave books half finished? original.gif

#2 LunaMombie

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

If I really dislike them I just flip to the back and read the end than get rid of them.  That way I know what happens and I figure it's not worth wasting your time if you can't get into or don't like it.

#3 Majeix

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I feel no obligation to finish books I don't like. I often read several books at once and if I don't finish them but were enjoying them I will wait and try to read them again. If I like them I will probably read them more then once.

#4 katpaws

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

If i am doing research, i can have multiple books around that i am reading. Novels - i can be reading 2-3 at a time.

I try to give books a chance before i give up on them (i sometimes read the end to see if it is worth the hard slog of reading the whole thing). If i can't see any pleasure coming from reading then i give up, too many other stories out there to read.

All books on my bookshelf have been read multiple times except for one - Pillars of the Earth which i keep because it was a birthday present.

#5 Mel.Bell

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

I don't particularly STOP reading a book unless it's boring but I can read a few books at once. Say, start reading one book & after a few chapters I hear that another book is interesting, start reading that while I am reading the other book. I am currently reading a book that my mum is readin & we only have one copy so I can only read that when I visit her (she is a slow reader & won't part with it hehehehe). If I stop reading a book all together, I will forget what happened at the beginning & will have to read it all again. Unless it's boring, like I have said, I read books til the end & I am a fast reader even with 2 kids original.gif

#6 tick

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I usually have a few books on the go at any one time.  TBH I don't often finish them - I tend to flip around and read the bits that interest me and skim read or simply leave the rest.  I don't often read novels, but things like biographies I'm probably more inclined to read in a linear fashion and finish completely.

#7 Mel.Bell

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 12/04/2012, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time. I wouldn't worry about not finishing a book if you don't like it, the author won't mind. tongue.gif

Yeah, they already have your money hehehe

#8 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I've got 4 on the go at the moment.
3 true crime ones and a UFC one.

#9 Hermes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm reading 3 right now, they are all very different so that when I get a bit bored (they all seems to be epic in size) I can pick up another.

#10 71Cath

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am not as multi-talented as the rest of you and I can only read one book at a time.

#11 Maple Leaf

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I give a book between 50-100 pages, and if it doesn't grab me, I don't keep going. So many brilliant books to read out there that I don't like wasting my (very precious) reading time!

I only have one book on the go at a time ... original.gif

#12 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I've only done it once when I just could not get into the book, it is still sitting on my shelf waiting to be finished, god knows when I will get to it though.

#13 Bel Rowley

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Generally if I put a book aside to tackle something else, it's because I'm not really enjoying it, and 9 times out of 10 I never go back and finish it. Most recently it happened with 'Reading Lolita in Tehran', which I was recommended by a friend. I just couldn't get into it.

#14 Isolabella

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (katpaws @ 12/04/2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I try to give books a chance before i give up on them (i sometimes read the end to see if it is worth the hard slog of reading the whole thing). If i can't see any pleasure coming from reading then i give up, too many other stories out there to read.

All books on my bookshelf have been read multiple times

This is me too.

Sometimes I am just not in the 'mood' for a particular Author's book, but then later come back to it and really enjoy it.

I am very happy to now have my whole back catalogue on my eReader.... makes it much easier to go back and re-read books in a series.

As I said sometimes although I do like an Author, I am just not in the mood for their particular writing style... they may be too 'dark' when at that point in time I want something 'light and fluffy'. Othertimes I want 'serious'.

#15 Charmzy

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Yes I have 3 on the go at the moment for different reasons.
1. is my in the car at school waiting for pickup book
2. is m bedtime book
3. is my any other time I can squeeze in some reading book  

Enjoying all equally but school holidays mean I've slipped behind on book1!

#16 ali27

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I always have multiple books on the go. As an English teacher, there are always "set texts". I love biographies and non-fiction histories and will have a couple of those as well. Often a "trashy" novel as well, just to unwind in the evenings!

#17 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Frequently, but it goes with my occupation, and sadly, even when I think a book is sh*te I have to finish it and have some cogent thoughts about it too.

#18 Airene

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

I only read books one at a time. When the book gets boring I just skim it or go right through the ending, but never stopping outright in the middle of the story.

#19 Catmummy

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

I normally read a non fiction and a fiction book at the same time.

Right now I'm reading a rather dry book on art history and a mystery novel.

#20 mummyx3

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

I usually have a couple of books on the go at one time, one an audio book in the car for the way to and from work and then a book in my hand bag for when I can sit and read.

#21 Guest_Spunkrat_*

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Edited by Spunkrat, 29 April 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#22 Liadan

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

I read one book at a time. I tend to finish a book within 3 days anyway. I love reading.

There has only ever been ONE book that I have started and hadn't finished. I read a variety of books, and they don't always click with me at first, but I push through. But I just couldn't do it with one book, a classic novel. It was years ago. I might give it another go one day.

#23 ubermum

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

I have one going at the moment for book club, another that has been taking me a while because it is a bit of a hard slog and one that is just for fun and a real page turner. I also had uni reading to do this week. I don't watch tv though and am full term pregnant so not sleeping much at all. biggrin.gif

#24 BlondieUK

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

I always have at least 2 books on the go original.gif

#25 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

if im not 'into it' by chapter 3 ill read the ending and give up. but i usually have a few on the go, on my phone, and 1 in the loo (my quiet place)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

11-year-old delivers baby sister - then goes to school

Schoolgirl Caitlin Burke was the only person on hand to help deliver the newest member of the family when her mum went into labour at home.

Toddler blind in one eye after drone accident

An 18-month-old boy lost his right eye when he was hit by an out-of-control drone.

Parents seek biological child after embryo mix-up

A New Zealand couple are seeking answers after their embryos were swapped in a mix-up at a Thai fertility hospital and their surrogate gave birth to someone else's child.

Samsung's fix slammed as 'deficient'

The "plastic bag and tape" fix applied to at least 63,300 faulty Samsung washing machines has been slammed by an expert as "deficient".

Dad orders surrogate mother to abort baby

A man who is paying a surrogate mother to carry his child has demanded the woman abort a baby, or face financial ruin, after learning she is pregnant with triplets.

10 toddler playrooms that will blow your mind

For many of us a playroom for our children is a pipe dream; for others it's a reality. Here are some playrooms that will blow your mind.

A love letter to my mother's group

We spread picnic blankets in the shade of the acacia trees and, while the babies fed or slept or lay gurgling, we talked - about poo.

10 mocktails for an alcohol free Christmas

Facing the holiday season with a bun in the oven can mean passing up some Christmas traditions. But whip up one of these delicious 'mocktails' and all you will be missing out on is a Christmas hangover.

When you can't let go of your 'baby stuff'

Do you still hold on to your 'baby stuff' even though you think your family's finished? Evelyn Lewin explores why we do this, and how to move on.

Woman faces abuse for not wanting children

A woman who admitted she did not want to have children was mercilessly bullied and forced to shut down her social media accounts as a result.

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.