Advice for baby boy name

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MellieMel

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hello Mums & Mums-to-be,
My husband and I are expecting our first baby in July and are trying to finalise names. We have a lovely girls name already though are stuck for a boys name. There are lots that we like but they have already been taken by family or friends. There is one name we both absolutely love and keep coming back to every time we talk about the baby name topic, though, we have a slight hesitation as the name is very close to a name from history that is not so great.
The name is Harvey. With our surname it will be Harvey Lee, not unlike the infamous Lee Harvey Oswald of the JFK history.
Can I please ask your advice. Would you just go with it as you love it OR would it bother you that it has such a similarity to a name in history?Secondly, how would you feel if your child went to school with a Harvey Lee? Would you immediately think of Oswald?
We will have a middle name, Maxwell after my Dad who has passed. We both love the name, my brother has already named his son it. Making our son Harvey Maxwell Lee.
Your advice and thoughts will be greatly appreciated! Best wishes to you all too and good luck with your name choosing.

#2 vixxistar

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

I didnt think of it at first, (but it is late and im a bit sleep deprived! wacko.gif ) However now you have pointed it out I can see how it might spring to mind. But that doesnt mean it cant be used. I doubt anyone of his generation would make the connection either.

Didnt help you at all did I!? ddoh.gif

Edited by vixxistar, 11 April 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#3 kerilyntaryn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

I think it would be ok and most people wouldn't even think of that

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 11 April 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#4 Mrs Flanders

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

I'm really sorry but yes. Before I even read your surname, the name Harvey makes me think of Oswald. Maybe run it by a few more people though - not everyone will make that connection.

#5 ali27

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

I think those events are long ago now and most people would not make that connection nowadys. In my opinion, go with the name if it's your favourite and you are both happy with it.

#6 Kay1

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Secondly, how would you feel if your child went to school with a Harvey Lee? Would you immediately think of Oswald?

Yes I would - but I'm not sure its enough of a link to not use a name I loved.

Funnily enough I know someone with the double barrel surname Maxwell Lee so you could maybe go that route if it really worried you?

#7 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

It would make me think of Lee Harvey Oswald - and I think people would definitely make the connection. After all, how many of us in this thread were alive when JFk was shot - and yet how many of us know who shot him (conspiracy theories aside)?

Similarly, bet most people can name the killer of Abraham Lincoln - and none of us were definitely alive then!

I think a name that invokes the murderer of a US president, especially when it also involves the biggest conspiracy theory on the planet, would be a tough name to carry.

#8 Surpriselove

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I love it original.gif

#9 Amber Spyglass

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I don't know who shot Abraham Lincoln?

And I wouldn't have though of the connection for Harvey Lee either.

If you like the name, go for it.

If it going to bother you that a certain percentage of people will make the connection, would you use a similar name - Harry, Hardy, Harley, Harlow?

#10 Bel Rowley

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

It does make me think of Lee Harvey Oswald, but then I did grow up in an Americophile family and we had every book and video available on the Kennedys in our house.

If you'd said the name was going to be Lee Harvey, no way would I do it, but I think you can get away with Harvey Lee.

#11 paddyboo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

so what if someone makes the connection, it doesn;t mean your son will be an president killer??? It's a nice name, if you like it, go with it:)

#12 FairyLove

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

I honestly don't think it matters.  If people do make the connection, they will probably think 'that names kinda similar too.....' and that would be the extent of it.
Harvey is a lovely, strong name, go with it OP  original.gif

#13 la di dah

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln.

I'm such a freak I also know who shot Garfield. And pretty much nobody cares about President Garfield at this late date.

Anyway, I like Harvey as a name. My granddad was a Harvey.

I think I would skip Harvey if I were an Oswald as that's considerably more distinctive. But I wouldn't necessarily just for Lee. I would skip Robert if I were a Lee because, baggage, but not Harvey.

#14 ninaswalk

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

so what if someone makes the connection, it doesn;t mean your son will be an president killer??? It's a nice name, if you like it, go with it:)

This.  We named our boy Ike and people have linked it to Ike Turner and baby Ike of Southpark (?? I didn't know this one).  It doesn't really worry us.  It's not like he'll turn out to be a wife basher or something because of his name.  
If you love it I say use it!

#15 April girl

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Makes me think of LHO - but it isn't the same name so if you have your heart set on it then use it.

#16 Pocahontas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think it's a great name and wouldn't have put the connection together.

#17 MellieMel

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thankyou so much ladies! I really appreciate your time in replying. You have all been wonderful. We are going to have a very good think about it. Thankyou for your honesty, advice and support. I could get used to these forums! Very handy and a great source of knowledge.

Good luck to you all. Perhaps chat to you another time and I'll try to repay Tge favour!
Mel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Why couples with daughters are more likely to divorce

Couples with daughters have higher divorce rates than those with boys. A new study reveals why that is the case.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.