Private Schools - Inner West Sydney

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Blossom73

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

This is probably a silly question, but do I need to start enrolling/waitlisting my 13 month old son for private schools in the inner west of Sydney now?

We are located in Annandale and are seriously considering private (or selective) for high school, but will stay public for primary. Thinking of Newington and Trinity - anything else?

#2 womenindocs

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Oh yes indeed.Both boys have been on the waiting list for Newington from 4weeks original.gif

#3 Blossom73

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (womenindocs @ 11/04/2012, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes indeed.Both boys have been on the waiting list for Newington from 4weeks original.gif

Bugger! Even for high school? I'm so slack!

#4 Chalkie

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

My son is due to start at one of the schools  mentioned next year.  We applied when he was in early Year 3.  

From discussions with other parents, I think boys schools are tougher in the innerwest than girls as there are fewer options, so you might want to waitlist him "early-ish" but I don't think there is a mad panic.

PS - I have heard rumours of other boys who applied in Year 5 not being able to secure a place for Year 7, but I don't know anyone personally so can't confirm.  So I wouldn't recommend leaving it until the last moment, but I do think you have a couple of years up your sleeve. original.gif

#5 Penguin78

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yes you do! I know St Patricks College at Strathfield you have to put them on the list now.

Crazy isn't it??

#6 opethmum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Trinity and Newington are incredibly hard to get into so get on to the enrolment process now, without delay.

Check out this website http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com....ney-schools.php you should get the low down on what schools are in your area and your preferences. I found it useful for my school choices where I am.

I hope you find that school you are looking for.

#7 Bobsygirls

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

If you want pre kinder entry you should be fine for Newington or Trinity if you put your son's name down now.

#8 Luci

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

The boys schools are often very hard to get into. I put DS's name down at 5 weeks. He has been accepted at Cranbrook, I also put him down for Shore and was told his "best chance was year 7!"

Luci

#9 Chalkie

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 30/04/2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trinity and Newington are incredibly hard to get into so get on to the enrolment process now, without delay.

Check out this website http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com....ney-schools.php you should get the low down on what schools are in your area and your preferences. I found it useful for my school choices where I am.

I hope you find that school you are looking for.

Hi, I am curious as this hasn't been my experience with these schools - as I said my son is starting in 2013 (High School).    Certainly within a few years of starting you need to ensure you have applied, but I didn't think there was a need to do so at the toddler age and I haven't heard whispers around his friends etc that this was the case.

Shore has always been difficult as are the Eastern Suburbs schools.  Are the inner-west schools turning out the same for waiting lists at high schools?  Perhaps we just sneaked in - I really don't know. original.gif

To answer the OP - perhaps you shouldn't delay - better to be safe!

#10 Bobsygirls

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Don't panic, people are totally over reacting, you have plenty of time. Neither Trinity or Newington are "incredibly hard" to get into especially for pre school. Get the ball rolling now if you like the schools and take a tour.

#11 whydoibother

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

there are better schools than St Pats...I'd go Newington over that school any day!

#12 Blossom73

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks everyone. We are looking for entry for year 7, so 2023 (seems so far away...) so was not sure if I needed his name down now! Seems like there might be some time to spare but perhaps not a lot.

Any other schools you could suggest? We are also looking at St. Andrews Cathedral school and possibly Sydney Grammar, but am at a loss as to others (we also don't want a huge commute for DS).

#13 mummamajeena

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

If you are wanting to start him in High School then it's not so urgent. For Primary then yes put his name down now. For High School you probably can wait a few years.

International Grammar School in Ultimo is also very good. St Andrews I've heard great things about too. These and the two you have already mentioned is about all that there is in terms of Private. There is also Christian Brothers at Lewisham which starts from Yr 5. Considerably cheaper then the other schools, I think as it's Catholic? Not sure...

#14 Bobsygirls

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yep IGS is meant to be a great school.

Sydney Grammar is very good but it is selective and very academically focussed obviously but they seem to push the boys very very hard, so it depends what you like I guess.

#15 Gangnam Style

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Blossom73 @ 11/04/2012, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bugger! Even for high school? I'm so slack!

QUOTE (opethmum @ 30/04/2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they aren't. You don't have to put their name at such an early age. DS started in year seven at Newington last year, and we only started the enrolment process in 2009. He was never on any "waiting list". Don't believe the hype. Also, I've noticed that Newington, and other schools have ad campaigns in cinemas and buses all over Sydney at the moment. Why would they need to advertise if they were so impossible to get in to?

Although I have heard it suggested that the Catholic schools are more difficult to get a place in because most of them are much less expensive than the private schools.

Edited by Put lipstick on it, 01 May 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#16 belindarama

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Trinity has heaps of places. We went through the process for FYOS for this year. We knew it was pretty much a given for family reasons but they were open about having a lot of places.

We didn't take up the offer of a place but they have told us if we want to send DS1 there any year there will be a place for him.

Also, most of these schools aren't first in best dressed. They require interviews and don't just offer a place based on you putting your child's name down earlier than anyone else.

#17 capper

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

We put our DS name down for Trinity and Newington when he was in Year 3.  So, in 2010.  He has been offered an interview for both for Year 7, 2014.  So, we were not on the list long for both schools.  

We have decided, after visiting them both again, that we wont be proceeding with the interviews.  he will be staying at his current Preschool to Yr12 school.

#18 Gen71

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

From those I know recently applying to those schools, there does not seem to be huge urgency. BUT, I would put him down now anyway. Things can change in 10 years. There may not be a huge list now, but could well be by 2023, and having been on the list all that time will stand you in good stead, even if they don't say that outright.
We put our daughter down for a whole lot of schools at birth, and are very pleased we did. We now have options. Most of her classmates have no options.
Good luck

#19 Georgie Boy

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

For schools like Christian Bros Lewisham,Rosebank etc I would say end of year 3 when you have your Naplans back.
Schools like St Pats would say earlier. Chritain Bros & St Pats have intakes @ yr 5 so limited spots for yr 7.
In saying that though  you are not guarenteed a spot my son was down for one of the above mentioned schools end of yr 4 but due to the high demand from siblings,kids of exstudents and catholics at catholic school.My son is catholic at a non catholic school so 4th on priority list he did not get a spot and is on the wait list. We may still be offered a place but depends on where we are on the list.
It is a bit disappointing and means going back to the drawing board re schools

Louise

#20 qak

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I heard a very negative report about Christian Bros Lewisham last week (parents & son in Yr 10 want to leave) so would be checking carefully about that one.

#21 mummamajeena

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (qak @ 02/05/2012, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard a very negative report about Christian Bros Lewisham last week (parents & son in Yr 10 want to leave) so would be checking carefully about that one.

do you mind me asking what you heard? what problems has the family had there?

#22 Blossom73

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.