Would you work from home 3 months after birth?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 ~Rachel~

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

It only works if you can choose when you work.  I have a 9 week old and somedays I get a lot done other days nothing and some weeks it might be 2-3 days before I can get a decent amount done.  A lot is also done early mornings, at night and weekends.

#27 BentoBaby

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I personally could not have done it. My first baby was a nightmare in terms of sleep and settling. Less than 8hrs broken sleep in 24hrs for him was a common occurance. I was delirious with exhaustion and at 3 months I was almost losing my mind sad.gif I struggled to even fit a shower in around his constant screaming, need to be held and overall high level demands let alone 16hrs of work. Things improved significantly for me around 6 months. I would discuss it with them. Are they flexible? Could you start with 1 day at say 4 months & see how you go, building to 2 days by 6 months. Do you have someone who could come and care for your baby for the time you are working? Does your husband work long hours? How much financial pressure is there? Obviously if financially it is essential you need to work out how to make it work but if not I'd probably negotiate some other terms such as 1 day at 4 months building to 2 days at 6 months with the understanding that if you are managing you will do more. This is assuming you don't have someone to care for bub. If you do, I think 2 days at 3-4 months is likely to be managable. So much depends on the child!!

#28 tothebeach

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I would and I did.  I had to wait till 3 months till my paid mat leave was over but was chomping at the bit to start working again.

I had a very unsettled, non-sleeping baby and work helped to keep my sanity and give me some sense of control over my life.  

I found it worked from 3-7 months and then he was too mobile and I needed to get a nanny.

Do you need to take phone calls or be on conference calls at specific times? If so, it could be difficult if you have an unsettled baby at that moment

I used to hide in the walkin robe for conference calls.

Edited by tothebeach, 11 April 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#29 mumandboys

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Absolutely, it sounds like a great offer.

#30 BentoBaby

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I used to hide in the walkin robe for conference calls.

That only works if you are happy to leave a s reaming baby in the loungeroom for the duration of your call!

I just had another thought, if you are entitled to the governments paid maternity leave then you can't return at 3 months as the leave is 18 weeks & you can't take it while working... Just something to consider.

#31 ausmumof2

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

If you can spread your hours over the week and you're not too particular about housework probably - if it needs to be done on two specific days it would be pretty tricky I think...

that said, I haven't worked from home but just thinking for me - DS would sleep around 4 hours a day at that age so I could have fit 16 hours work in, provided it was flexible about when it had to be done and I didn't have too much housework to do during sleeptimes as well.

#32 Kailing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

As attractive as the offer sounds, personally, and with the benefit of hindsight, there's no way I would or could have done it.

For a start I absolutely adored maternity leave - looking after my babies was completely absorbing and wonderful and I would have hated interrupting it with work.  I went back after 6 months with each baby and found it way, way too early for me - I wanted more time to just focus on being a mother which has been way more fulfilling and absorbing than I ever expected.

Also, both of my daughters have been terrible day sleepers and there's no way I would have been able to do anything except late at night when I was desperate for sleep.  I'm in awe of the PPs who said they were bored during the day - I was so excited if I had even a 20 minute break where I could eat lunch / have a cup of tea / read the paper / have a shower.

So, I think whether or not this arrangment would work depends on what your baby is like and how much you will enjoy looking after a baby - and you won't really know either of those things till your baby is born.  So I think the best advice as others have said is not to lock yourself into anything if you can avoid it.

Good luck!

#33 lozoodle

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Absolutely I would. After a few weeks at home with baby I was going stir crazy with boredom, that would have been a perfect scenario original.gif

My kids weren't really day sleepers, but I could easily get work done. Especially at three months - I'd put them in the bouncer and move them from room to room with me, bounce it with my foot if they were a bit grumpy. Then when they are older set them up with some toys on the floor in the room. Perfect.

Edited by lozoodle, 11 April 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#34 CallMeFeral

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yes I'd do it.
i think it would be hard, but being from home (so presumably flexible in terms of hours?) I think it would be manageable, and possibly even give you some sanity and structure at a time when that is short.

#35 foofoo

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have done it with my babies.   I really struggled with boredom, particularly with my first as I had 5 weeks off work before his birth.   I started when DS was about 6 weeks old and when DD was 12 weeks.  I did 20 hours per week and was able to do the work when I wanted.  Generally did a few hours when they slept, or at night and  weekends when DH was home to care for them.  If I had a long conference call mum would come over and help out.

#36 JuliaD

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Can I just point out here that if work is paying your 14 weeks maternity leave, you may also be eligible for the 18 weeks paid maternity leave offered by the government, ON TOP of what your employer offers.

Just might put your mind at ease, and if your boss is happy with you going back after that, well its essentially 6 months maternity leave you have been able to take, with some form of income - hopefully your boss would continue to let you work regardless of what you choose to do original.gif

#37 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

I would leap at the chance!

However, if you were originally planning on having 2 years off or something like that, it's obviously different

Although I did plan on taking off a year... But I jumped at a new contract after two and a half months, 20 hours per week spread between the office and home and got someone to babysit.

Working 2 days from home sounds awesome.

#38 ~ky~

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Slightly different, but I worked right up until I went to hospital for my MIL and FIL taking my 20mo daughter with me each day. It was admin work, sales and answering the phones for two businesses. I can't count the number of times a stinky nappy got hurriedly put back onto my DD and her put on the floor with a toy whilst I raced to answer a phone call.

When Ds was born, I started back at work 5 full time days a week when he was two weeks old. The hardest thing I found was that my little girl used to sit in her carseat and look at a fantastic childrens playground that we drove past every morning and evening and say "pay dids" (play kids) ... it used to break my heart!

This time around, my older children are both at school and I am working approx 5 hours a day doing paperwork for my DH. Honestly, it hasn't been too hard except for the days when DD is unsettled or I've had a horrific night. I don't have to answer calls from anyone but DH this time, so it doesn't matter too much if I miss a call.

I have found that I have the freedom to take a nap if necessary, stop work and then pick it up again later if DD needs me and do more on one day if I can only do a little on the previous day.

Mind you, this job is so all consuming that I got a call from DH's offsider the day DD was born just after I arrived on the ward after my caesar. The funny thing is that he had refrained from calling DH as he knew he had to be up early that morning and that he would be enjoying having a couple of days off  huh.gif

#39 ladybird1

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Remember that you can take the government's 18 weeks paid parental leave at the same time as the 14 weeks leave provided by your employer (and work up to 10 days during that 18 week period).

Working at three months - absolutely, provided you have flexibility to choose the hours.  At three months of age, babies still sleep a lot.  Strap the baby to you in a carrier and he/she will sleep peacefully for a couple hours while you are in front of the computer....just make sure you have a comfy chair!

#40 bluecardigans

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I would jump at the opportunity. It sounds perfect. original.gif

#41 April girl

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (JuliaD @ 11/04/2012, 07:07 PM)
14479134[/url]']
Can I just point out here that if work is paying your 14 weeks maternity leave, you may also be eligible for the 18 weeks paid maternity leave offered by the government, ON TOP of what your employer offers.

Just might put your mind at ease, and if your boss is happy with you going back after that, well its essentially 6 months maternity leave you have been able to take, with some form of income - hopefully your boss would continue to let you work regardless of what you choose to do original.gif

I was coming in to say the same.

#42 MooMoosMummy

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi Op,

I worked from home (initially school hours 5 days a week and then dropped it to 3 days a week), when my DS was 6 months old.  My role was probably a little different as I was working in off site Admin ie. the company would contact me via email/messenger and I would do the work as required.  Unfortunately this work was all immediate turn around ie. within an hour and I didn't know what work I had from one day to the next.  Also I only got paid for the work that I did.

My biggest challenges were trying to manage a baby and the turn around time of the work (within the hour).  If they wanted me to do work whilst he was asleep it was fine, but if something came in when he was awake, I really struggled and felt huge stress.  Also due to sleep deprivation the work was taking me longer that it should (because I was SO tired).  Furthermore working off site, there was no visibility of what I was doing, so I had to 'manage' the expectations of the company I was working for (I had 4 people who needed me to do work for them), and push back if I was already doing something for someone else (which I didn't always do well, I took on too much).

Eventually I had to let them know that I couldn't do the role, I felt such a failure, both at being a mum and a worker, I was not doing either well  sad.gif

HOWEVER, as many pp's have said, if you can manage your workload in the hours that suit you, then go for it.  That would have made a huge difference in my job.

Good luck and I hope that the job works out for you  biggrin.gif

#43 Mrs Manager

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Both of mine went to LDC at 3 months so I could go back to work 3 days.  It was hard on me being away from them but I would go next door and breastfeed and they were fine.

With DD I did try to work from hom for one of those days but it didn't work as she would just want my attention constantly, and she was a bad sleeper and would only sleep in the day on me or in the car so I couldn't work then.. my only option was to work at night which I'm not keen on.

With DS I have worked from home on the odd occassion when he has been sick, but I have only gotten about 4 hours per day done (we have to do timesheets in my profession so I can't say I was working when I wasn't)

#44 bungomama

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thank you so much, everyone, hearing about your experiences has been - on the whole -very reassuring and given me some good points to discuss with my manager to make sure that if I do take up the offer it's on terms that work for both of us original.gif

#45 Feefifofum

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have a 4 month old and was supposed to have started working from home 1 day a week about now. It's proved utterly impossible. I had a premmie, reflux, colicky, clingy, screaming baby who will rarely let me put her down for longer than five minutes and baps for only 20 mins, from the moment she wakes until midnight. It's all I can do to keep myself clean and fed! (i do teach one exercise class a week for my own sanity but it has often meant Daddy having an hysterical baby for the 3 hrs I'm gone). This was not at all what I expected, esp as other mums told me there'd be lots of time while baby slept. No such luck, not even in the evenings. I would not recommend locking yourself into a contract in advance, as you just can't know what your child will be like.

#46 Feralishous

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

I personally couldnt have, as I had a difficult birth and was still on bedrest at 8 weeks.
but you could give it a shot!

#47 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

I couldn't have done it as both of my babies were dreadful sleepers at night and often only catnapped during the day.

#48 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (bungomama @ 11/04/2012, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm currently in a p/t contract role which ends in July; I'm expecting my first baby in October. My manager has said that if I'd like to take on another 12-month contract (including 14 weeks paid parental leave), I can do my job from from home for the equivelent of 2 days per week, allowing me to stay home with bubs and maintain a small income, which would be very helpful since DH's salary is not huge. The catch is that I'd have to start work again after 14 weeks.

I like my job and being able to work from home and still bring in a bit of cash is very tempting, but from everything I've heard about looking after a baby (esp. your first), I'm worried that 3 months is too soon to go back, for both me and bubs.

What do you think?

Having had 2 kids, my answer would be no.  It would have been no after my first child, definitely after the second.  Then again, financially we were lucky enough that we didn't *need* me to work again so soon, so it wasn't actually an option we had to seriously consider.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.