Would you work from home 3 months after birth?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 bungomama

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm currently in a p/t contract role which ends in July; I'm expecting my first baby in October. My manager has said that if I'd like to take on another 12-month contract (including 14 weeks paid parental leave), I can do my job from from home for the equivelent of 2 days per week, allowing me to stay home with bubs and maintain a small income, which would be very helpful since DH's salary is not huge. The catch is that I'd have to start work again after 14 weeks.

I like my job and being able to work from home and still bring in a bit of cash is very tempting, but from everything I've heard about looking after a baby (esp. your first), I'm worried that 3 months is too soon to go back, for both me and bubs.

What do you think?

#2 MuppetGirl

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

2 days per week as in 16+ hours, I probably wouldn't.

However I have always done 10-12 hours per week and only took a week or two off when I had my kids. I do most of the work of the evening when DH can manage the kids or they are in bed.

It is a difficult one as he wants to sign you a contract, so if you say yes there is not really a way to get out of it if you find it too hard. Perhaps you could add a clause to the contract for a trial period?

#3 roses99

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

For me, it would have actually been easier at three months than at age two.

But it will depend very much on your baby, how much sleep you're getting, how well you're coping etc. And those are all pretty unknown variables!

However, if you have a partner who is in a position to help you and if you have some support networks in place, then I would definitely do it.

In my case, I did 20 hours a week (11 of them from home) starting when my DD was 6 months. It worked out very well, but she was a great little sleeper.

#4 laridae

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I think at that age its not that hard to work at home and look after a bub - you can work while they sleep and they sleep a lot.

Its more difficult when they get older and become more demanding on your time, so you feel a little guilty ignoring them when you work (which is why I don't like working from home if DD is sick).

Edited by laridae, 11 April 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#5 Tikiboo16

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Big decision, but if it's from home, and your boss is flexible (ie: understanding that you are also managing a kid and may not be available at the drop of a hat) I would do it. I actually found myself wanting to fill in my spare time while DD was sleeping at that age... and I would have jumped at an opportunity like that.

#6 Xiola

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yeah for sure I would do it.  I work from home and was pretty much back into it when DD was a week old....much easier then than now original.gif

#7 discomonkey

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I did this with my first and it worked well for me. I did have a nanny come and look after DD at home though so I could still BF and settle her if required. It's a great option but only if you're ready, which of course you don't know yet!

It is good to know where your next contract is coming from, and the option to work from home doesn't come up all that often. If it was me I would do it, but only if I had help w the baby. I certainly wouldn't try to fit the work around naps and at night - that is a sure path to exhaustion!

Good luck w your decision.

#8 Goggie

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think I would, especially for the paid mat leave!
But honestly, it sounds you have a great boss who will be flexible, and you can choose how to work those hours (eg 4 hours a day, 4 days a week or longer days 2-3 days per week. For the job security and cash flow it would give you, I'd do it. But take this from someone expecting baby number 1 with no idea how it would actually be like with a 3 month old:)

#9 amabanana

If you have a lovely content baby who sleeps well and a supportive DH or other helper then it sounds great.
If you have a refluxy baby or one who doesn't settle well or has any issues or illness  or you get PND then it could be very difficult.
What happens if you sign the contract and pull out if things are too much?

Best of luck!

#10 White-Lily

I would have done it. DD was a great sleeper and it would have been nice to have something else to do with my time other than housework.
I wouldn't like to be pigeon holed into specific days/time slots if I was working from home though, just in case bub is unsettled on a 'work day' or doesn't sleep. I would like to be able to make up hours at night if need be or on alternate days than what was scheduled.

As baby gets old it gets harder. So flexibiltiy down the track would need to be a must and understood by all parties.

#11 EBeditor

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I did, but I had flexible hours so I could work any time during the day or night including the weekend. I would have found it very hard to do 'regular' hours as my baby didn't sleep much during the day.

I do agree that it's easier when they're babies and not toddlers.

I also think it can be a smart career move to keep up some sort of part-time or work-from-home job up if you intend to go back to a permanent role at some point.

Another option is to hire a nanny or 'mother's help' to assist you on the days you are working from home.

#12 Bel Rowley

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

For sure I would, and I think you'll find it much easier after your first then you would after your second or third! I had a contracting job that I did at home right up to the birth of my first child, and continued for another 3 months after she was born. Yes, having a newborn involves a lot of upheaval and changes to your life, but in my experience it's probably the easiest time to get other things done. It's much harder when they start moving around and you've got more than one to contend with.

#13 niggles

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Provided you have the support you might need (like someone to drop by and help out with baby on occasion if you have something urgent to get done) I'd do it. I think it's easier to work from home with a baby than a toddler.

#14 The Old Feral

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

I did.

I had the absolute dream job, and wanted to hang onto it.  So I worked around 15 hours a week from about 3 months - flexible hours though I did occasionally need to go out for meetings etc.

I had a nanny who came to the house for about 10 of those hours and cared for DS1 plus got some housework done while he slept, it was fantastic!

#15 Tesseract

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I would do it if:

-the hours are flexible ie you can do them at any point over the week that you choose

-you have someone who can come and help you to look after the baby while you work.

Trying to fit the work in while they sleep is too hard, even if you have a baby that takes long naps (and these are fairly rare!). I had enough trouble keeping on top of the laundry and getting myself fed! Working can be done, but I think you need a lot of hands on help.

#16 MummaDiva

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I went back to work 7 days after DD1 was born, as she was born relatively early and I had a lot of "loose strings" to tie up.  I have never really found it difficult to do the allotted hours, and the pay means that I am motivated and get things done!
I found working from home with one much easier than two.  Also, working when the babies weren't moving around a lot was much easier than when they had started crawling / walking.  By this stage, I needed someone to help for a few hours a day.

#17 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Yes I would.  It sounds like a dream arrangement in the medium term (two days a week, based from home and qualifying for maternity leave).  However, the salary would need to be enough to pay for a few hours of babysitting, family day care or the like when bubs is a bit older and sleeping less.

#18 ~chiquita~

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I think at that age its not that hard to work at home at look after a bub - you can work while they sleep and they sleep a lot.

This. I'd do it.

I found myself bored sh*tless during the day whilst DS was sleeping. However, I will add he was easily settled and didn't suffer reflux.

#19 lclb

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

As per PP, I would do it if your hours are flexible.

Can you work in the evening or weekends if you are having one of those days when baby doesn't want to settle or only sleeps for 40 mins at a time?

If there are meetings or phone calls you must take can you organize to have someone at home to help with the baby, i.e. grandparent for an hour or two?

#20 tinkster23

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

I went back to work a shift (night) a week when Hannah was 10 weeks old, so yeah, I would do it.

But the flexibility would be the big thing, I was casual, so could cancel the day of the shift if Hannah had a sh*t day/was sick etc.

#21 paddyboo

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

I returned to work 2 days a week when Patrick was 5 weeks old and was back fulltime at 6 months. This was required financially. I guess it comes down to your financial situation.

#22 Rosepickles

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

As some of the PPs have said, I think it depends on how flexible your work is. Do you need to take phone calls or be on conference calls at specific times? If so, it could be difficult if you have an unsettled baby at that moment. If you can work your own hours to a degree, I think it would be fine.

Sleep will be the other determining factor. I had (and still do) a quite bad sleeper, so some days it was difficult just to get through the day, let alone focus on anything that required my brain.

In saying all this, I started my PhD when my daughter was five months and have managed to get through. I found it really hard at first as my brain felt like mush and it took me a good few months to get it going again. It is still hard some days and she is 13 months, so Im glad I didnt wait until her sleep got better haha.

#23 ReadySetRace

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

It's a fantastic offer and I would jump at it. But i'm biased, I went back to work at 3 months with DD1 and 7 weeks with DD3 (part-time).  

Things to consider - will you have someone to help you with the baby when you are working?  Settling can take ages...And young ones still require interaction, so you can't sit on the phone / computer all day and expect them to be quiet.

Is there flexibility to spread the hours across days?  If the answer is no and no, it may prove tricky if you don't have a cruisy baby.

#24 Shellby

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I think at that age its not that hard to work at home at look after a bub - you can work while they sleep and they sleep a lot.

That's if you have a baby that sleeps - I tried this with my first and it didn't work out and caused even worse PND as I felt not only did I have the new pressure of being a mum, learning my new relationship with my DH but also having to keep up with work. I quickly learnt most people who said working with a newborn is easy haven't actually done it or had someone taking care of the baby in the background - like a nanny or their mother/MIL.

I would only do it if I could work around my own hours, like when DH would be home so could take care of baby if they decide to be unsettled (my first was a horror, only slept in little amounts, up about 6  times and night and spent all quiet time awake crying and wriggling around - mums at mother's group said they got tried just watching me and what I had to do to keep James happy and really felt for me, however my second was the dream baby and I could have done the work at home with him, but you don't know what your baby is like until they are about 2 weeks old), or if I had to have set hours, like only Monday and Tuesday then I would ask my MIL to come over or book my baby into daycare as all it takes is baby deciding today is its upset day and before you know it you have used 3 hours cuddling your baby trying to get them to sleep instead of finishing the reports due in an hour.

Its hard to work out when you haven't had a baby, or know what your going to get and I feel your first can be the hardest especially if you haven't had much time with babies and most of your knowledge is books and reading about other people. Only you can make the decision - if I had a baby tomorrow and was offered your contract, I would take it, but I would also pay my MIL to come over when DH wasn't here so I could do my work - which would dig into my income so it would have to be nice income. However I also understand what I'm getting into already since I have been there and done that (without outside help sadly and strict times so the money wasn't worth it in the end) and have more support now than I did then.

Good luck

#25 IsolaBella

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

DS2 was 6wks of age when I JUMPED at the chance to work on a special project. Initially 1-2 days per week (one in office one at home) and then eventually Friday nights 6pm until whatever hour things finished in the morning (yes getting home after 6am even).

For me working helped with my PND.

DS1 had just turned 2yrs at the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.