How many mothers out there are feeding a child over 2?
Following on from SarahM72's post...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Oilucy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

I was just reading SarahM72's post about feeding her 2 y/o and the terrible comments her Dr made suggesting that she stop.
My DD is 3 years and 1 month old and I am still proudly feeding her before bed at night, during the night (she is a scallywag and often hops into bed with us!) and always when she wakes in the morning.
I am sure they are comfort feeds rather than me filling her little belly up (though who knows?).
I do recall once she was sick and vomited in our bed (sorry if TMI!!) and the amount of milk she bought up was incredible and shocked both DH and I as I really didnt think she was getting that much.
Anyway, congratulations to anyone who is practising extended breastfeeding and like SarahM72 putting up with silly comments made by others.
It would be really interesting to see how many Mum's reply here as I have to be honest and say that most of my friends gave up bf much earlier than this....

#2 runnybabbit

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Not yet, but hopefully I will. original.gif DS is turning one in a couple of weeks and I hope to BF him for a while yet.

#3 Jekaho

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm not anymore, but I breastfed til almost 25 months. I don't think our son would have ever stopped - I weaned him because I was going interstate for a few days when he was 27 months, and didn't want him to be unsettled from no breastfeeding while he stayed with my parents. If I hadn't gone away, I probably would have kept going for another few months if he'd wished.
Many in my mothers group (17 women) breastfed til 12 months - at least 10 of us - with most of the others feeding til at least 6 months. By 18 months only myself and another mum were still breastfeeding, and then only me before 2 years. A number of them were pregnant and had second babies by the time our kids were all two though.

#4 jenchristo

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

DD1 will be 3 in a month. She has "boobies milk" at bedtime. I don't know anyone else who has BF this long. Most people were 1 year or less. I'll let DD1 decide when to stop.

I'm planning to feed DD2 until at least 2.

#5 pinkpineapple

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

My DD and I stopped in about Dec last year at just over 2.5yrs

#6 liveworkplay

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

My nearly 3 yr old stopped a few months ago.  I personally do not know a lot of people who feed past 12 mths, nearly none that go as long as I did with my three.

#7 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Not any more but I fed my daughter until she was about 3.5. She weened herself so it was entirely her choice!

#8 Oilucy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

I did ask DD about a month ago if she wanted to stop feeding in return for a special present (she desperately wants a moses basket for her baby doll) and the poor little thing got all teary and looked up at me and said in this tiny little voice (as if I was abandoning her) "But Mumma I love boo boo and I would be very sad if I didnt have boo boo anymore".
I almost cried when she said it as I felt guilty for even thinking about stopping!

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

My youngest was 2 years 8 months. I had all sorts of people telling me to stop, but we stopped when it worked for both of us. I did the same with my older two as well, but they stopped earlier. DS2 probably would have fed longer than the 16 months he did, but I was 3 months preg with DS3 and my milk just dried up. DS1 was only 10 months which was much earlier than I wanted, but he had other ideas.

#10 lonelygoatherd

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm feeding my 3 year 1 month year old still, and plan to let her choose when to stop. I hope it will be before she goes to school, lol! I am also pregnant & I plan to tandem feed once bubs is born.

I think it's a bit more common than one might initially think, but because people tend not to talk about feeding longer-term/child-led weaning, we don't realise there's more of us out there original.gif

#11 TeachmeMum

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I fed my little boy until he was 3 and 1 month.

He would still be feeding if I let him but I needed to stop.

He tells me often Mummy I love your boobies original.gif

#12 liveworkplay

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

"But Mumma I love boo boo and I would be very sad if I didnt have boo boo anymore".

Awww.

My nearly 3 yr old was very tired and emotional last night. She asked for some warm milk (in a cup) and then got agitated and kept saying "where is it" and pulling at my top. I realised she meant my breast and so I showed her. She was much happier, patted my chest and said, "there's boobie" and went on to drink her warm milk. It was poignent, but makes me realised waht a comfort BF was to her and that she still does remember the lovely bond.

#13 Buggylicious

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

I BF'd DS until he was 25 months, I stopped because I was pregnant and tandem feeding didn't interest me he could take it or leave it at that point anyway he wasn't all that upset when I stopped offering it to him. I'm still feeding DD and she is our last child so I will let her self wean, judging by how much she loves her milk I can't imagine her stopping until well past 2.

#14 tibs

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

My daughter is 2 years 3 months and still feeding.  I breastfed my son until he was 2.5 - he weaned after my daughter was born.  I've had a GP tell me to stop feeding right away because I was pregnant again, and when I miscarried she said it was because I was still breastfeeding.  I think it is hard to know how many mums feed past 2 years as many only feed at night and don't talk about it, I know most of my family/friends don't realise I'm still breastfeeding my daughter.

#15 Feralishous

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

not yet, but I will be in 4 weeks. Im expecting to tandem feed, as DD will be 26 months when bellyfruit arrives.
Ive had my share of 'comments' too but I a) tell them to STFU or b) avoid them in future

#16 chloemo

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm Still feeding my little girl and she is 3 and a half, there are so many people around me that are not very happy about this
but we will both stop when we are ready.

#17 ~shannon~

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I am really enjoying reading everyone's stories as I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately. My DD is 22 months and shows no signs of letting go of her "boobie time".
Yet I have also been told numerous times to wean her (mostly by doctors, but also by my own family). The only people who support my decision to continue BF are my husband and my aunt who I am very close to.
My DD shows absolutely no signs of giving up, so I am sure we'll still be going by the time she is three (though I am trying to conceive again at the moment, so things may change).
I love that my child can now communicate her needs. She tells me when she needs it for comfort, or to fall asleep for her day nap, and she will tell me which side she prefers and then swaps over when she feels like it! Teeth can sometimes be a problem, but she has never bitten me... just sometimes latched on the wrong way. On the whole, I feel so privileged to be able to continue to BF her.

#18 Quinston

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm tandem feeding my 28 month old and 6 week old.  I'm happy to keep feeding both boys until they decide they've had enough. original.gif

#19 Monket

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

DD was feeding, somewhat sporadically, until a couple of weeks ago when I had a really bad bout of mastitis.  She will be 4 on Thursday.

Lonelygoatherd, I am sure it is more common than people think!  I know I felt kind of embarrassed that I was still feeding and didn't really talk about it unless I was being prescribed medication.  Fortunately, none of the GPs I have seen have even batted an eyelid, I have been blessed!

#20 **Xena**

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

laughing2.gif I read the topic title and thought "Hopefully everyone is feeding their baby at 2"

Think I have had too much wedding anniversary champagne

ETA: I came here from recent topics so didn't know it was in breastfeeding

Edited by **Xena**, 10 April 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#21 cheekymonkey

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

DS#1 had his last feed on his third birthday. I had tandem fed him with DS#2 but found out that morning I was pregnant with DS#3. I just couldn't face tandem feeding while pregnant.

DS#2 had his last feed on his third birthday. I tandem fed him with DS#3 but, as that age for stopping worked so well before and he was down to one side only 4-5 times a week, it seemed right to stop there.

DS#3 was my only child to self-wean. He was 23 months and 9 days old. I was 38 weeks pregnant at the time so, while I was very sad he didn't want it anymore, I was also kind of relieved as I was so tired, it was hot due to being summer, and my nipples were quite uncomfortable while he fed.

DD had her last feed on her third birthday. Of all of them I was least ready to stop with her. Probably mainly as I knew she's our last. DH kept saying no more as we'd agreed on 3 as our personal cutoff. She asked numerous times after that for 'mines' (so named by her as DH kept trying to tell her my boobs are his but she insisted they were 'mines" wub.gif ) and it was so hard to say no. With the others I was fine with ending that part of our relationship as I was still feeding, just a different child. This time it was truely the end and I still miss it 3 months later. sad.gif

#22 Cat People

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

I b'fed my first until a week or so before his 3rd birthday.

My second is 15 months and still going.

I prefer the term full term breastfeeding to extended.  I know that probably sounds a bit lame but the term "extended" implies it's being stretched or drawn out to something outside of the norm and while it is outside of society's norms, I don't think it is in nature's.

#23 kissy10

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yes I am, DS2 is over 2 1/2 and I can't get him off!!

#24 balletmom4

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

I BF DD3 (then 2.5yo), until I got pregnant with DD4. I fed DD4 until she was 3 yo and then fell pregnant with twins. My first 2 DD's I never BF at all- work commitments and no BF support. (This was over 14 years ago though). I got lots of insensitive comments and strange looks from people, but I couldnt really care less. Do what suits you and your little one/s.

#25 Oilucy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Wow this is so great!
I never thought in a million years I would have so many 'yes me too!' responses so quickly - everyone should be so proud of themselves!!!!!
Another poster mentioned that most of her friends and family dont know she is still feeding and I just wanted to say that is the same for me too, there is only a handful of people who know we still feed as so many people just give negative comments. Funnily enough I thought DH wanted me to wean around age 2 but when I suggested I wean DD just after her third birthday he was quite against it and told me she will just wean herself and that its not hurting anyone. Too true.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.