Did you have a child free wedding?
*spinoff*

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 *Lib*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

We did. There was a newborn there, but she was BF and the matron of honours child, and my god child.

We invited a couple who replied with 2.5 coming. Was very akward telling them there would be no children at the wedding. The mother didn't come. Which is a shame because 8 years later we are still friends and I'd have liked to have had her there.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

No. I actually had a children's table of about 8 kids.. I think the youngest was 6, oldest was my nephew who was 12.
I was happy for people with toddlers to bring them, but they made other arrangements. That really was for the best, the parents had a chance to let their hair down.

#3 vanessa71

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

We had one child, my nephew, he was nearly 7 at the time. I would have preferred not to have any children, but I didn't want to put up with the whinging from my sister for the rest of my life.

#4 twinmumplus1

Yes I did - and besides one couple, there were no children to consider.  The couple that had childen (my eldest cousin) appreciated the child free night - her words.  Her youngest came - she was 1 1/2 months old.  I can not recall hearing her - she was the quietest baby!

#5 Feral Mozzie

Yep - one of the best wedding decisions we made!

#6 skylark

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Our reception was in a cocktail bar, and children were prohibited by law from being in there, so we had a no kids policy. There was a new baby there. No one seemed to mind not being allowed to bring their children, though.

#7 Ninja Lemur

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

We had children at our wedding.  We encouraged parents to bring their children but not many did.  We did not have a tradtional formal wedding.  It was lots of fun and some of the most beautiful photos of the day feature the children who added to the magic of the day.

#8 tickledpink72

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

We had a child free wedding, with the exception of my step-children who were our bridal party.  Hubby and I work in the wedding industry, and have seen many a parents night ruined by unruly, tired children running amok.  I am a VERY firm believer that children and weddings do not mix.  We've never regretted our decision.

#9 KnightsofNi

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

We had children. All the children in our lives are as important as the adults. (we got married pre children)

But we do not pretend to be elegant and did not have a 'elegant' wedding that meant we could not accommodate children.

#10 Guest_Starletta_*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

We had 3 newborns and a couple of 1 year olds.

Thought we were being considerate but it didn't stop complaints about other stuff. It got back to me that they complained about the lack of a private breastfeedng space and that their prams couldn't fit at the tables. Can't win!

#11 JRA

Nearly.

My first had my nephew there, he was 5mths old, and his mum was my bridesmaid.

#12 Bodacious Prime

The only children at mine were part of the bridal party.

I did have someone ask if thet could bring their kids (4 of them). I turned them down.

#13 OscarAndTilly

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

We only had our daughter there (who was 2.5), however our situation was a little different.

My father was terminally ill and we had to bring forward our wedding plans. So we were married at my parent's house with close family and friends.

#14 MrsNorris

The mother didn't come. Which is a shame because 8 years later we are still friends and I'd have liked to have had her there.

Yes. As you know, this is the risk that is taken when a child-free wedding is chosen.

We had a couple of older children (10 or 11 or thereabouts) but no others. Didn't know anyone with kids back then.  So it wasn't an issue for us and I don't have a firm view on it. I have had to miss a wedding or two because of the 'no kids' policy though.   That's ok.

#15 BeachedAsBro

Yep. No kids at my wedding, it was great. Mind you, there were no close children to invite. If in the same situation again, I'd definitely have no kids there.

If invited to a wedding now, I'd also arrange my DD to stay at home.

#16 *LucyE*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yes.  

It did put some noses out but our wedding wasn't suited to children.  The youngest guest was 16 yrs old.

We had a lovely reception and I am not unhappy with our decision.

#17 baddmammajamma

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yes...it was just the two of us, plus the minister & our waitress from breakfast as our witness. We eloped on the shores of Negril, Jamaica because we didn't want to deal with any fuss and drama whatsoever.

We love our families and we love our friends, but neither of us wanted to wade through some of the wedding issues that routinely surface on EB!

#18 Bam1

No, my husband is African and you invite the whole family and the community. The community helps to supply the food and other items so it is not too costly. My husband doesn't understand these western weddings which can be quite sterile in comparison but does not have a problem attending without our children.

#19 IsolaBella

No Children for my wedding. None of my siblings had children and neither did any of our friends have children.

The only people who had children were some cousins. Considering we had to cull first cousin invites (ie. too many first cousin's) we were NOT going to invite any first cousin's once removed (ie. their children). Even first cousins who were invited were only to bring a +1 if they were married/engaged or relationship longer then 2yrs. Numbers were tight with a 70 place reception venue and me having 16 first cousins (let alone their DH's and kids etc)

Also our reception location was on the waterfront at an open restaurant to the pier.... would have been a logistical nightmare with kids as NOT kid safe.

I am one who does not believe children should be at weddings.

My brother and I each had 3 children (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6yrs) when our sister got married. She included the kids as part of the bridal party for the ceremony, but they were not invited to the reception. We were happy to leave our children with babysitters and have a great night with our other halves not worrying about our kids.

My kids have only been invited to one wedding and TBH I would have enjoyed myself much more if we hadn't taken DS1 with us.

Edited by lsolaBella, 10 April 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#20 jodi

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

No way... we didn't want anyone to miss our wedding due to childcare issues, so everyone and their children were welcome!

We had a special table set up, covered in butchers paper; with helium balloons; colouring in pages; and buckets of coloured pencils!... we even had a special kids 'party' menu with party pies and sausage rolls and cocktails franks etc.

Willow was only 2 at the time and was still dancing on the stage at 1am! It was awesome... and EVERYONE came!  hheart.gif

edited to add: our five daughters were my bridesmaids and my stepson was the groomsman... it was a total family affair.

Edited by jodi, 10 April 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#21 squirt081

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

We had 2 kids at the wedding. Both were toddlers. Older kids weren't allowed.

#22 skylark

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think the kind of wedding varies immensely - some are big all-in family affairs where kids are great and add to the atmosphere (my little sister's wedding comes to mind), and others are most definitely grown up parties (whether sophisticated or rowdy or whatever) where children take away from the vibe. Neither type of wedding is better than another (despite what some of the sniffy "weddings without children are snobby/sterile" type responses in this thread might indicate), and no one should have children at their wedding if it will detract from what that particular event is designed to be.

#23 Rainbow Brite

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

We only allowed newborns at our wedding. Worked well for us and our friends/family.

#24 *Lib*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

We were the first of our friends to get married, and none of our friends had kids except the newborn and a 7 year old who was flower girl, she didn't come to the reception. The child who wasn't invited was the child of our bestmans girlfriend. (reasonably new relationship at the time). They are now married.

#25 Mrscoolcoolpants

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

no and I regret it now. I heard thru the grapevine that my niece annoyed a few of the other guests, 1 of which had flown from overseas to attend the night. wish I had stuck to my guns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.