When to stop work?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 WaitForIt

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hi, I guess the crux of the matter is - what can I expect in the last trimester and how will this affect work?

I'm just under 31 weeks and over the last week I've noticed I'm getting *really* tired in the afternoon - like its the first trimester again but without the queasiness (although now theres reflux...).

This is a lot sooner than I was anticipating, so I'm wondering how many more weeks of work I have in me. I'm just wondering how tired and uncomfortable I am going to get.

Any advice?

#2 dannikem+1

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

It depends on your work type. I was able to work till 38 weeks before DD but I work in an office and was able to use a fit ball to sit on and they reduced my workload towards the end. Also my DH was a great help at home.

I was able to come home and crash and he would come home and cook me dinner.

Sorry not much help but it all depends on your body,the work load that you have at work and what you are expected to do at home original.gif

#3 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Its very individual. I worked 60 hour weeks until 38.5 in my first pregnancy. This time stopped at 32 due to it being more convenient for work - but i was doing 80 hour weeks this pregnancy so didn't mind stopping early.

Women work in the fields until the day they deliver on many countries. I'm not suggesting that we should all aspire to that, but pregnancy is normal, not an illness, and unless there are medical problems, there is no reason other than how you feel to stop working any earlier than 38-40 weeks. (Please don't take that the wrong way, I don't think everyone should, and if you afford to stop working earlier, you should be able to stop whenever you want, and I don't think women who stop work early are 'wusses' or anything - I'm just making the point that many DO work until late term, and there is no external reason why you shouldn't if you're well enough to and your work is safe enough to allow it).

#4 bubmakes3

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think it depends on your job and just how you feel.
I worked till the 19th of the month and DS was due on the 30th - he was born on the 31st. I was feeling fine so stuck at it - I was still catching the train to work and having to go out on site - including daytrips trips to Bathurst - flying usually with the occasional drive (the last Bathurst trip was 2 weeks prior to finishing work). But I had a trouble free pregnancy with no MS, no other issues etc - next time might be completly different!

#5 Fanny McPhail

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

My considerations for when to finish work include:

Type of work: Is it physical, child minding, nursing, or the type of job where you are on your feet alot. As somebody else mentioned if you are in an office its a lot easier.

Hours you work: Are you expected to do long days/shift work or is it the regular 9 to 5.

Commute: Bus/train/walking or Drive?

With my first, I was in a full-time role (37.5hrs week) my work was based in the office and doing field work when necessary (all over Australia). I stopped the field work around 31 weeks, at my employers request, and became office based. I requested a car spot at the same time and reduced my commute from a 1.5 hour bus/walk combo to an hours drive. I worked up to 36 weeks and had DS at 38 weeks.

With my second, I worked  part time (22.5) same role and location. I stopped field work around the same time and got a car spot around the same time as before. I finished work at 35 weeks and had DD at 39 weeks.

The only other thing to consider is if you deal with clients you may feel the need to rip their heads off when they are completely petty and annoying, especially if they are male and work for a large commonwealth agency (although that could just have been me).

Other things to consider are if you are planning on only taking a certain amount of leave i.e 12 months the move time you take before the baby is born the less you have when the baby is born IYKWIM and if you take too much time before the baby is born there is a chance you could get really bored at home but that depends if you are easily bored.

What do you do for a living OP?

#6 WaitForIt

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

My plan was 38 weeks, and as my employer is generally really flexible I thought this would be fine. Unfortunately, things just got hectic with a client and they are pushing for me to be onsite consulting with the client, and no flexibility with hours.

I'm struggling to carry my laptop to and from work (I commute by train - 15min walk either end), aren't allowed to leave it at the client workplace, and just feel so tired! If this is as bad as it gets, fine, I can push through. If it starts to get exponentially worse each week, I'm doomed and need to give them the heads up now.

What I don't want to do is pull out of the client work with minimal notice and no one to replace me with.

edit to add: my work isn't physically demanding, but when onsite with a client it gets very heated and stressful. I come in right at the end of a project when things are already delayed, and my results quite often cause a project to get the plug pulled, add significant costs and delay things further.

Edited by gigglet, 10 April 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I always stopped at 31/32wks PG. I also had all by bubs between 36w3d and 37w5d.

It just gave me time to relax and catch up on some reading and TV/Movies before bubs arrived.

I also went to a talk on PG and managing your career.... they recommend stopping at 34wks. I can't remember the detailed points but you do tend to slow down and become less effective etc. They told the tale of one woman who worked right up to 40wks, but as her performance for the last 10wks of work was 'below par' for her (coming in later, leaving earlier etc) she did not get her bonus as all they could think about was per 'poor' performance at the end of the time and not the good work she did before that. She ended up leaving the job and having to sue for her bonus payment. Too much stress IMHO.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (dannikem+1 @ 10/04/2012, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on your work type. I was able to work till 38 weeks before DD but I work in an office and was able to use a fit ball to sit on and they reduced my workload towards the end. Also my DH was a great help at home.

I was able to come home and crash and he would come home and cook me dinner.

Sorry not much help but it all depends on your body,the work load that you have at work and what you are expected to do at home original.gif

I had the same with DS1, and ended up working longer than I wanted to for various reasons and then he was over a week late.  However, with DS2, my waters broke at 35w6d.  If I were you, I'd probably start handing over.

R

#9 Beancat

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi OP, As with most of the PPs it depends on

how demanding your work is
what your commute is like
how your body is holding out
what the expectations on you are at work.

I stopped at 35 weeks with DS and 36 with DDbut she was born at 38 weeks.  The time before DS was very restful and enjoyable and with DD is was a blur as I had DS at home, christmas and DSs birthday.

Also my pregnancies were were different.  Wtih DS I put on 22kg and was very tired, as you say it was the same tiredness as morning sickness in T1.  Wtih DD I only put on 8kg for the whole pregnancy and felt the best I have ever felt pregnant in T3.

I would take it week by week.  Also, depending on your ob, they might give you a medical certificate for a couple of weeks -mine gave me one for week 35 for DS, I was supposed to finish a week later at 36.  IT was great b/c the extra week didnt come off my mat leave entitlement

#10 Freycha

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

i worked until 37 1/2 weeks and it was really tough in the last weeks. My feet were swollen so badly i couldn't fit my shoes on by the end of the day and it was exhausting! Also consider taking in a pillow for your chair at work (if you're in an office) as your back will get very sore. mind you i was greatful to be kept busy up until that stage, and my work was very good at letting me go early if i needed to. i also needed a sign letter of consent from my doctor to allow me to work so late into my pregnancy (but i don't know if that's the norm)

It also depends how baby ready you are. if you're planning on using the last few weeks to get things organised (when you've finished up at work) you'll really exhaust yourself. best to leave only little jobs for this time. it's true what they say, get in as much sleep as you can because you'll need every ounce of energy when bub arrives!

#11 CubaLulu

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for raising this OP! I've been wondering the same thing... I run a Family Day Care and all the little ones I look after are between 2 and 3; so they are pretty tiring work! I was planning to work up to 37 weeks (I'm due the 1st of October) but now I'm thinking of wrapping up at the end of August and just taking all of September off. I'm already finding the kids hard to lift up and I'm SO tired by the end of the day!! I'm quite looking forward to that last month to pack up all my business stuff and set up the nursery in the spare room original.gif

#12 tibs

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

I stopped at 34 weeks with my first (was working long hours full time and wanted a break before I had the baby).  With my second I was only doing 2 days a week and was home with a toddler the rest of the time so work was my break  wink.gif  so worked up to 37 weeks, would have gone longer but it was Christmas and Christmas eve was a good time to stop.  This time I'm working 2 days a week again and have a preschooler and a toddler, but thinking of stopping earlier again (34 weeks) so I can spend some time with my kids as my preschooler starts school next year and my toddler starts preschool and once the baby is born I know the rest of this year will fly.

#13 Dettol

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

I am 32 weeks and I finished up on Thursday.  I had , had enough and I have been having problems with my my back.  I was already working reduced hours and figured it was time to stop and starting thinking about other things.

I was getting cranky, over tired and was constantly trying to play catch up becuase of the reduced hours and figured enough was enough.  

I feel like such a weight has been lifted from my shoulders today.  Woke up with a smile on my face for the first time in months.  original.gif

#14 Working_Mummy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

You need a GP / OB certificate at my workplace with the FairWork form to work past 34 weeks - for Insurance/workcover purposes.  My GP was happy enough for me to continue whilst i felt able and honestly I don't feel all that bad (but i don't have swelling of the feet or any sickness)

I work 40 hour weeks (Going in Early 1 day a week to make up time for my weekly OB checkup)
I will be 38 weeks tomorrow and i'm planning on working out this week and next.

My Train commute to the city is about 45minutes + 5-10min walk each side - But i find this relaxing.

Do you have to set an exact date to finish? Can you just see how you go?

With DS i finished at 32 weeks because our office was shutting down for 2 weeks and it wasn't worth going in for a week or so after a 2 week 'break', however it was a completely different pregnancy, i was sick with HG, GD the entire time and hated everything, i was so grateful for it to work out the way it did.

Edited by Working_Mummy, 10 April 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#15 mum201

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I worked until 37 weeks and I went into labour at 38+5. in hindsight I should have finished a few weeks earlier as by the end there were a few afternoons where I rang DH from the station asking him to collect me. I carried very large and commute each way was 15min walk, hour train, 15 min walk. I was also highly ineffective by 37 weeks and my brain was mush.

#16 Polaris

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi there,

I would say listen to your body, it will be the best judge.

I was prepared to work all the way up to due date with both my little ones.  However the first came at 38 weeks and the second at 38+5.  I was at work the day that I delivered both of them, however I work in the same location as DH (or at least did then).  And for me being pg was just like any other day, I was not large or uncomfortable, nor did I get overly tired.  

This time around I only work part time and I am thinking that I will finish up at 37 weeks, mainly because I don't work in the same place as DH and I don't really fancy driving in labour (I have quick labours - I only made it to the hospital with DS with 10 mins to spare).  

Everyone is different, so listen to your body!

All the best.

#17 White-Lily

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Depends on what you do really and even then it will differ for everyone.

With DD I worked until 36+3 and was perfectly fine and capable of continuing on had I wanted to. I had a desk job and it was low stress with a very short commute to work. DD was born 37+5 and I would have really liked a bit longer off before her birth but never mind!

This time I plan to finish up at 32 weeks. Early but we have different priorities this time. We have DD to wean out of daycare and my job, even though it at the same place doing the same thing, is more intense and stressful so I don't really want to deal with it and the later stages of pregnancy at the same time! Also we moved recently which has tripled my commute time and I remember being a bit vague towards the end of DD's pregnancy and had blood pressure issues so not driving is probably a good thing for me!

Like I said, different for everyone and then different for each pregnancy too. If You feel well aim for 35/36 weeks which I believe is fairly common but leave yourself open to finishing earlier or later.

Really once my replacement was trained up I didn't do much at work anyway and it was just somewhere to go for the day.

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

I worked till my due date, but I drove to work so no standing on public transport, and also I had the flexibility to go have a nap in my car if I got sleepy, walk around the office, etc. Also I was only working 3 days a week.

Depends on your job and how you feel! I find the late stages of pregnancy really uncomfortable so I welcomed the distraction - time didn't seem so slow while I was still working!

#19 PigNewton

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I planned to work till 34 weeks but only made it till 32 weeks. I worked on my feet, with lots of bending, stretching and lifting, and TBH my body just wasn't coping anymore (especially as some days I was working 10 hours!)
A week after I left I was pretty much off my feet with SPD and really nasty sciatica..it calmed down after a couple of weeks, but the sciatica really only stopped once DS engaged, and the SPD hung around for a few weeks after he was born
If I can manage to get pregnant again I will be a bit more watchful for signs that my back and pelvis are packing up, and won't try to "power through"

#20 laridae

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

I stopped 37 weeks and was bored for the next 4 weeks as she was 9 days overdue. I wish I'd worked longer and had a bit longer off afterwards instead.
But I work a desk job and have a short commute.

#21 Ruby'sMum

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

I went to 38 weeks last time and anticipate doing the same again.  I've been so lucky and have had the easiest pregnancy ever (touching wood desperately) so at this stage think it'll be fine again.  I told my boss my anticipated finish date but highlighted that things might change.  There's another girl at work who has the same due date as me and she's had a really rough run - she'll be finishing next week and for her, it's the best move she could make.

#22 Harmonica

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I worked until 36 weeks pregnant both times. Perfect balance for me - a few weeks before the bubs were born. I didnt want to finish too early as I preferred to have longer time off after they were born.

#23 Yopie

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Like everyone has already said, it's an individual choice depending on what type of work u do and how ur feeling. If your getting tired I would see if u can cut back ur hours a bit. I stopped 3 wks before my first, 2weeks before my second and just 6 days prior to third. All came on due date, bit lucky:) forth due in august and still working 50+ hours, no intention of stopping unless I starting feeling exhausted.

#24 iheartu

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Your baby may have other ideas... Demanding job or not!

I planned on working till 37 weeks in my office/sitting down all day job. DD had other ideas and was born at 36 weeks! No warning either, bub wasn't engaged or anything. That was an interesting call on the Monday... 'sorry not coming in I'm in labour'.

#25 Feralishous

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

its so variable!
last time i worked to 32 weeks (went into preterm labour and was put on bedrest), this time i couldnt have managed working at all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.