Your kids aren't allowed to come to the wedding - What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 FerdiNando

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

So DH's 1st cousin is getting married (MIL's sisters son).  We recieved the invite which had only mine & DH's name printed on it - not "........ Family" or all our names etc.

So I asked the bride to be about this she confirmed that her future inlaws (my DH's aunt and uncle) have decided that in order to keep costs down that only FIRST cousins are invited.  My children being second cousins are excluded.  unsure.gif

TBH am I little .... I guess, offended by it.  For me weddings are all about family, kids included.  I understand about keeping costs down but really, I know for sure that second cousins from the uncles side of the family will be there.

Anyway, DH doesn't want to go as he's a bit peeved at his aunt and uncle for excluding our kids but at the same time its not the fault of the bride and groom so we really don't know weather to go or not?

MIL (&FIL) will be really peeved at her sister & also DH's elderly nanna who adores our kids will be upset about them not being allowed to come.  It potentially can caused a rift in the family ......

We've never found ourselves in this sort of situation ..... what would you do?

#2 kreative

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (JnrMurf @ 10/04/2012, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So DH's 1st cousin is getting married (MIL's sisters son).  We recieved the invite which had only mine & DH's name printed on it - not "........ Family" or all our names etc.

So I asked the bride to be about this she confirmed that her future inlaws (my DH's aunt and uncle) have decided that in order to keep costs down that only FIRST cousins are invited.  My children being second cousins are excluded.  unsure.gif

TBH am I little .... I guess, offended by it.  For me weddings are all about family, kids included.  I understand about keeping costs down but really, I know for sure that second cousins from the uncles side of the family will be there.

Anyway, DH doesn't want to go as he's a bit peeved at his aunt and uncle for excluding our kids but at the same time its not the fault of the bride and groom so we really don't know weather to go or not?

MIL (&FIL) will be really peeved at her sister & also DH's elderly nanna who adores our kids will be upset about them not being allowed to come.  It potentially can caused a rift in the family ......

We've never found ourselves in this sort of situation ..... what would you do?

They want to keep costs down. How are you peeved at that. If you want additional people to go to the wedding, suggest to them that you will pay for it?

#3 Mitis angelam

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

If you can go, go.  If you can't, decline politely and don't.

Either way don't b**ch to extended family.  Your kids aren't owed an invitation, and if you carry on about it you'll just look self-centred.

#4 BVB09

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

To be honest OP, it's their wedding not yours ! You just need to respect their wishes.

#5 Epitome

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

What do I do?

I accept that I got to decide how I held my wedding and whom I did or didnt invite, based on what I thought a wedding was about...and what we wanted

Therefore everyone else has that right too.

I either go and have a good time, or politely decline.

#6 Rosepickles

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I think it is fairly common for kids not to be invited to weddings, I really don't understand the problem.

I often thought that not inviting kids is actually not so much about costs but that it is an event for adults to relax and enjoy themselves. Having kids there can sometimes change this. It is not about you or your kids, it is about the couple getting married.

#7 ~Nodnol~

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I would go. I don't think kids belong at weddings either.  ph34r.gif

#8 threeinnyc

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hire a babysitter to look after your kids so that you can go to the wedding?
Or don't go altogether?
But don't be offended by it. Their wedding; their choice.

Sorry but good luck!

#9 cinnabubble

I wouldn't go. Simple.

#10 Mpjp is feral

I seriously dont know how peopel think they are entitled to be 'peeved' about this. It's NOT YOUR WEDDING. You are not paying for it. And money aside - if they dont want kids at their wedding, then WHO CARES if you think weddings are all about family? It's their choice.

I love, adore and worshiop my kids, but I dont think they have to be included in everything. In fact I really enjoy a night out with my partner at a wedding!

Go. Don't go. But dont impose yourself on others by telling them you believe they should have invited your kids!

#11 Guest_Starletta_*

I would let your MIL deal with it if its her sister. If your MIL is really upset with it, and angry with her sister, then they can discuss it.

But I would also just respect their wishes.

#12 paddyboo

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

At our wedding my neice & nephews came however no other children. It is pretty normal, I don't see what the big deal is? shrug.gif

#13 Spring Chickadee

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Sometimes people don't have unlimited money to invite everyone they know to a wedding. By inviting kids the guest list may blown out beyond what they could handle.

It's actually pretty common for people to not invite kids at all. So I think they are being fair.

So you can
A - not go
B- only one of you go and the other stay home with the kids
C- get a babysitter.

#14 Luci

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

I also thought it was fairly common for children to not be invited to weddings......

Luci

#15 MummaDiva

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Only two things you need to do:

(1) Get a babysitter and enjoy the wedding.

(2) Take your kids to see the aunts and elderly nannas, etc, some other time.

#16 I'm Batman

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Offer to pay for your own kids

Accept not everything is about you and stopped feeling miffed. Don't b**ch to family.

or

Politely decline.

Pick one.

#17 lozoodle

I would think "woohoo! kid free night!"

I don't think this is worth being annoyed about. If I could arrange babysitting I'd go and have a good time, if not I would just politely decline. Its not a big deal.

if I ever get married there sure as hell wont be kids at my wedding apart from a select few, so I wouldn't expect mine to be invited to someone elses.

#18 Oriental lily

I am a little confused. So are you saying that some children are coming but only first cousins? Or are no children invited.

If its the first thing then it's pretty bizarre, not inviting someone due to we're they come in the family tree.

If its a ' no kid ' wedding then it's pretty much the norm these days and. I would not be offended about that.

#19 WibbleWobble

QUOTE (melbelle @ 10/04/2012, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do I do?

I accept that I got to decide how I held my wedding and whom I did or didnt invite, based on what I thought a wedding was about...and what we wanted

Therefore everyone else has that right too.

This.

Either go and have a good (child free) time, or decline.

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Your children are not second cousins. They are first cousins once removed.

What would I do? Find a babysitter.

#21 flowerpuff

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Personally I think weddings are Adult Only parties - just my opinion.... and I love the excuse to have a "child free" night out with my husband when we attend other people's weddings.... wub.gif

#22 FerdiNando

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Am certaintly not trying to "impose" my children on them.  As you say it's their choice who they invite and dont invite - totally get that & certainly know that no matter what you do with a wedding you can never please anybody.

We've never been faced with something like this so new territory for us.

I agree on letting MIL sort out the issues with her sister, definetely don't want to get involved in that discussion.

I'll leave it up to DH to decide, it's his cousin, so I'm happy to go with the flow.

#23 PatG

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm in the either go or don't go camp but don't whinge about your kids not being invited to anyone involved.  Whinge here instead!

I wouldn't do as PPs have suggested and offer to pay for your kids to go - that just gets messy.  They have probably invited approximately the number of guests that their venue holds and/or have decided not children and so can't really say, well yours can come if you pay, but no that other one from that family can't as we have run out of room.

#24 UncommonSense

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I fail to see how it could cause a rift in the family  huh.gif

#25 TheGreenSheep

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Kenji @ 10/04/2012, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hire a babysitter to look after your kids so that you can go to the wedding?
Or don't go altogether?
But don't be offended by it. Their wedding; their choice.

Sorry but good luck!

Unfortunately it happens.

There have been numerous thread about this exact dilemma over the years, and really the consensus always comes back their wedding their choice.

Oh and this happened to us last year, BIL and SIL didnt want the 8 nieces and nephews at the wedding. But then turned around 5 days beforehand and said if theyd like to attend the ceremony as other cousins wanted to watch. It was a major inconvenience for us as it was an hours drive away each way, so our kids  were the ones missing from the family photos. Irritates me no end that they said no and then sort of yes. Just stick to it people, I can deal with certainty far easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.