Australian Music. Your favorites please.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Super Cat

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thank you thank you everyone! I reckon I have enough to fill a couple of CD's now. Any more suggestions most welcome though!
I was going to put in some Olivia Newton-John, Kasey Chambers, Bernard Fanning, Pete Murray and Missy Higgins as well.
Wow we've got some awesome music talent in this country.

#27 Feraldadathome

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 10/04/2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favourite Australian bands are:

Hoodoo Gurus
The Triffids
The Go-Betweens
Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls (the album Post in particular)
Painters & Dockers
Hunters & Collectors

There, fixed that for you Vanessa original.gif

#28 vanessa71

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

I am sure that double vinyl album I have downstairs is called Gossip.  wink.gif

#29 Feraldadathome

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 11/04/2012, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure that double vinyl album I have downstairs is called Gossip.  wink.gif

Yeah, but you bought it because Post wasn't in stock and were (for some reason) happy with the overblown cover versions of its songs on the double album. It did add Randwick Bells and The Execution, however, so is not a total loss.... original.gif

#30 strawberrycakes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Jen Buxton is currently my favourite artist.

#31 niggles

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

The first song that comes to mind is the soothing tones of Tex Perkins singing Days Like These.

#32 Melissa4444

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

There are soooo many I would want to add.  I think I'd make up a set of CDs rather than one.

Going through my collection, so there may be a LOT.  This is fun. original.gif

1 - Older music, not really 'Rock' though. The original What about Me(don't be playing any of that other crap..); Some LRB - Help is on it's way or Reminiscing?Hey Little Girl (Joel says Great Southern Land. I'm not putting out now) - Icehouse; Never tear us apart - INXS, Men at Work - Land Down Under; Little Ray of Sunshine - Axion (I'm biased. It was 'my song'). April Sun in Cuba - Dragon? Anything by Split Enz (Message to my Girl) or Crowded House (I"m claiming them. Back off Kiwis. biggrin.gif) Better be home soon, Fall at your Feet, Don't Dream it's over; The Voice John Farhnam (I know. It's cheesy, but it'd be hard to leave it out); Much as I hate it, it makes me nostalgic - True Blue - John Williamson; Come said the boy -Mondo Rock; I still call Australia Home - Peter Allen or Tenterfield Saddler (makes me cry) Redgum - He was only 19 Daddy Cool - Eagle RockBlackfeather, Boppin the blues Reckless - Australian Crawl; Girls on the Avenue-Richard Clapton 1927 - Compulsary Hero or If I could

2. Older Rock.  I love Cold Chisel. But I was never a fan of Khe San.  I'd be going with Flame Trees and/or When the War is over (my favourite). Thunderstruck; Evie-Stevie Wright; Throw your arms around me(Joel likes Holy Grail best) -Hunters and Collecters; Something by Midnight Oil - Beds are burning or Power and the Passion (who I despise); The Angels -    Screaming Jets - BetterChoirboys- Run to Paradise; Living in the 70s - Skyhooks; Noiseworks - No Lies

3 More recent Rock - Jet (I love put your money where your mouth is and Are you gonna be my girlMy Happiness - Powderfinger; Unguarded - The Church; Silverchair- Tomorrow  Hoodoo Gurus - What's my Scene or Miss Freelove 69 biggrin.gif ; The Cruel Sea - The Honeymoon is Over;Onion Skin - Boom Crash Opera; Eskimo Joe- Black Fingernails, Red Wine or Sarah  Wolfmother - The Joker and the Thief Garbage - Cherry Lips
Grinspoon - Chemical Heart
Some more 'poppy'

Pete Murray - Better Days; Natalie Imbruglia - Torn, I touch Myself -Divinyls (erm. Maybe not for a baby?) Paul Kelly - To Her Door (though I prefer Before Too Long - doesn't make me cry) or Dumb Things.The Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac; Killing Heidi-Mascara; Taxiride - Everywhere you go or Creeping up Slowly; Bachelor Girl - Buses and Trains; Vanessa Amerosi - Shine; George - (I love Katie Noonan) - Breathe in Now Missy Higgins - The Sound of White or Scar Bernard Fanning - Wish you Well ; Angus and Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane?Kate Miller-Heidke- Caught in a crowd or Last Day on Earth

Other people will be better at modern. I'm way behind on that.

#33 Electro

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

The Waifs original.gif

#34 Melissa4444

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have no idea what happened to that formatting there. Sorry.

I had song names in italics so you could pick them out easily. What a mess! blush.gif

#35 Feralina

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I put together a CD of 'quintessential Aussie songs' for my students (I teach ESL) to take home when they leave. The songs on it are:

Paul Kelly - Leaps & Bounds (mostly because of its Melbourne references)
INXS - Need You Tonight
The Church - Under the Milky Way
Icehouse - Great Southern Land
Goanna - Solid Rock
Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - Bapa (so so so so beautiful)
Redgum - I Was Only 19
Cold Chisel - Flame Trees (Khe Sanh has just been ruined for me)
Nick Cave - Ship Song
ACDC - Back in Black
Hunters & Collectors - Holy Grail (has almost been ruined for me, but I still love it!)
Kylie Minogue - Confide In Me
Nick & Kylie - Where the Wild Roses Grow
Dan Sultan - Old Fitzroy
The Waifs - Fisherman's Daughter
Gotye - Heart's A Mess
Siverchair - Straight Lines
The Temper trap - Sweet Disposition
Hilltop Hoods - Nosebleed Section
1200 Techniques - Karma
Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
Butterfly Effect - Beautiful Mine
Yothu Yindi - Treaty
Lior - This Old Love
You Am I - Berlin Chair

Edited by strawberrymojo, 14 April 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#36 ~Alchemy~

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Don't forget to add the wiggles for his early years wink.gif

#37 ~Alchemy~

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Oh and the waifs Bridal Train. Tells the story of a yank and his Aussie bride

#38 K-nut's Mummy

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

The Cat Empire. Best live band. No exceptions.

#39 mez70

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yeah you def need a kids CD
Wiggles, and nothing beats Peter Coombe and Wash you face in Orange Juice, and Spaghetti Bolagnase and some good old Playschool songs

#40 Kiki M

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Most of my faves have been mentioned, so I'll just add Kisschasy - Opinions won't keep you warm at night.

#41 spear_maiden

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

wink.gif mez70 was just about to suggest Peter Coombs for when he's little.

Nick Cave - Into my arms (lullaby music)

Powderfinger - The Internationalist album (I like Hindley St)

Gotye - any!

Augie March - Asleep in Perfection (my two yr old seems to like it)

Silverchair - Neon Ballroom (good for when he's an early teen wink.gif )

Hilltop Hoods - Nosebleed section (my young nephew loved it)

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (the song and/or album)

That's it for now biggrin.gif

eta: Xavier Rudd too

Edited by Studybug, 14 April 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#42 bubblebear

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hoodoo Gurus - 1000 Miles Away

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kourtney Kardashian goes nude for art

We've all done some pretty radical things after a big break-up, but Kourtney Kardashian has gone one better.

Video shows babies 'singing' to music in the womb

A new study has shown that babies may actually be able to hear from as early as 16 weeks – 10 weeks earlier than was commonly thought.

Prevent pelvic pain with pre-pregnancy exercise: study

Women who want to stave off aches and pains in pregnancy should exercise regularly before they conceive, experts say.

Dad's hilarious blog about life with twins

A stand-up comedian in the UK has plenty of new material since becoming a dad to twin boys.

Dinosaur products for babies and toddlers

Dinosaurs are one of those classic childhood crazes. We've put together a host of products for dinosaur-mad parents, babies and toddlers.

Restaurant manager sticks up for noisy baby

A mum was left upset by a note from neighbouring diners saying her screaming baby had ruined their dinner.

His name is Cayden: Mum and social media hit back after racist Facebook attack

When a man posted a selfie with a co-worker's son to Facebook, it became a magnet for racist comments.

The Chinese tradition for new mums that can now cost $37,000 a month

Opulent rest time is becoming the gold standard in postpartum recovery, inspired by a Chinese confinement custom known as "sitting the month".

How the media can shape our decisions when it comes to labour

We all like to think that we make our choices in fair, reasoned and well-thought out ways. Not many of us would admit that we allowed the media to influence us in our life choices.

Mum told to express in pet relief area at airport

A woman who flew from Boston to Washington says staff with United Airlines at Washington's Dulles Airport suggested she pump her breast milk in the pet-relief area.

Heartbreak as mum dies and her baby chokes to death

An Australian woman living in the US collapsed and died while feeding her baby, who then choked to death on his food. 

The hidden mental health illness of anxiety

Anxiety took over Robyn Read's life to such an extent she could not even buy the groceries and felt suicidal.

Two children fall from second storey window

Two young boys have been rushed to hospital after falling out a second-storey window of a home in Eastwood.

Mum gives birth to India's heaviest baby

An Indian woman has given birth to a baby boy weighing a whopping 5.97kg, setting a new record for the country's heaviest baby.

Grandma surprised with brand new granddaughter

Finding out you’re going to be a grandmother can be a very emotional moment. Finding out that you’re a grandmother and the baby is already here is just out of this world.

Saltwater Sandals for babies and toddlers

Many mamas are wearing Saltwater Sandals - why not buy them for your babies and toddlers too?

How to spring clean your body and mind

Whether you're pregnant, already a mum, or are just trying to be a bit more healthy, there are ways to use the rejuvenating season to give yourself a boost.

What's hot on EB

Stella McCartney honours mum with lacy bra

Fashion designer Stella McCartney has honoured her late mum, Linda McCartney, by designing a special bra for post-mastectomy patients.

Don't panic: A granddad midwife's guide for dads-to-be

Mark Harris has helped deliver 500 babies. And he's now telling fathers what to expect.

How to be a calm parent when you're feeling anything but

Being a calm parent takes a lot of work, sometimes more than is obvious to those around us.

The joy and isolation of being a stay-at-home dad

It's cool, kind of like a second childhood. I love him to bits and think, on average, I'm an okay dad. But I also want to talk about the other stuff.

How baby Teddy's short life is helping save thousands of lives

He may have only lived for 100 minutes, but that didn't stop baby Teddy from saving the lives of others.

A heartbreaking trail of missed chances in death of baby forgotten in car

A haunting reminder to stay mindful about babies in cars, especially as we approach summer.

What to do if your baby has tongue-tie

Tongue-tie can cause feeding problems. However once it is diagnosed, the condition can be easily treated.

How to move house without losing your mind

Some people move frequently, while others like to stay put. But everyone finds it stressful.

'She had nowhere to go': how new mum's life began to unravel

The birth of her first child should have been happiest of times for Campsie mother Phuong Cao, but friends say it marked the beginning of when her life began to unravel. 

Women giving birth to a son keep some of his Y chromosomes

It was an experiment doomed to failure - they were looking for male cells in female bodies. And their search was stunningly successful.

Photos: How babies fit in the womb

A gorgeous photo series shows babies in the first hours after their birth - as they were positioned in the womb.

Baby tries to persuade stubborn bulldog to walk, fails

We don't know what he's saying, but this baby has a very clear message for his bulldog pal: let's walk - NOW.

The best toddler gift ever? Nine gender-neutral play kitchen picks

Without a doubt, one of the best gifts for a toddler turning two or three is a play kitchen.

9 easy steps to improve your baby photography

With a few simple tips you can take your images from random happy snaps to lovely clean images that create beautiful lasting memories.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.