Do you have fewer friends now?
Chrissie Swan's latest article

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 EBmel

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

We've just posted Chrissie Swan's latest article onto EB...
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...0410-1wm56.html

I actually used to be a really top-notch friend. Ten  years ago, BC   (before children), my ground-floor apartment in a groovy  inner city   cul-de-sac was home to great parties, generous home-cooked  feeds and   smoky all-night gabfests ... These days I'm lucky  to   tap out a text once a week. And I'm actually okay with that.                

I mean, sure, I miss the no-holds-barred fun I used to   have with my  old friends. But the fact is, the person I was 10 years   ago would have  nothing in common with the person I am today, and the   same probably  applies to those friends who have moved on from me for   more interesting  pastures. The 28-year-old Chrissie would be bored   stiff with my current  chatter about variable interest rates and Leo   calling his little Casio  piano keyboard his "punano". I'm bored just   thinking about it.

What do you think? Has becoming a parent meant that a few old friends have drifted away - and are you happy with that?

Edited by EBmel, 10 April 2012 - 02:07 PM.
Edited title - thanks to Bel Rowley for pointing out the mistake!

#2 Oriental lily

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yes.

But I think it takes effort to keep relationships going. Sometimes the effort just seems massive when your dealing with sleepless nights and small children.

We tend to socialse with a smaller group of friends and family that live to the same beat of the same drum.

So friends that also hav the restraints of kids.

I think friendship groups evolve over time. It's just something that happens as you move in to a different stage of life.

I do miss some friends though,but we are just different people now.

#3 EBeditor

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yes and no.. I have lost contact with lots of people (except on facebook) but have also made new friends through my kids.

I found I was able to keep up my BC friendships with 1 child, but two children, moving away from the inner city, extended breastfeeding... I simply wasn't able to maintain some friendships properly, and yes that makes me sad.

With my 'lifelong' friends we can maintain our friendship even if we only speak a few times a year.

#4 rjflc69

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 10/04/2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes and no.. I have lost contact with lots of people (except on facebook) but have also made new friends through my kids.

I found I was able to keep up my BC friendships with 1 child, but two children, moving away from the inner city, extended breastfeeding... I simply wasn't able to maintain some friendships properly, and yes that makes me sad.

With my 'lifelong' friends we can maintain our friendship even if we only speak a few times a year.

I have to say I feel the same as Amber excluding living in the inner city.

Friendship is not always easy and takes commitment.

Fiona

#5 Steggles

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think I have more, and they are better quality. But I got married young and was ready for a different stage of life to my friends living the young single life - never was a party animal original.gif

#6 fruitbat72

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Absolutely

I realised only yesterday that my oldest friend (as in known her for nearly 40 years) and I hadn't seen each other since her father's funeral in November and had sent the last texts in Feb when our kids started kindy. So I sent a text and we are getting together next week.

This woman knows me probably better than myself and yet nearly 6 months can go by and we will not speak to each other unless via text or a brief phone call. I feel especially bad as I knew her family well and feel I didn't provide enough support after her dad's passing.

I think we get so caught up in managing the here and now that we forget our friends. I am lucky that the few close friends I have tend to forgive me for being less than vigilant as they are in the same boat as me (career, young kids, study, marriages). My NY resolution was to be more sociable so I am working on that. I find it hard to make friends so I need to nurture the ones I have.

#7 50ftqueenie

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

I've always been the kind of person that has a small group of friends, so while I would say that being a parent hasn't seen the numbers dwindle I definitely don't see as much of my friends as I did before children.

It's just harder to find the time.  Before children we would be out on the weekends for dinner or long lunches.  Now we might catch up, but it's often with our partners and children as well.  In my 20s my friends were my chosen family, now I have a new family.  My friends are still there, and we all try to make the effort to see each other without our children around so that we can have long uninteruppted conversations.  we also enjoy seeing our children play together so I guess our friendship is just evolving.

I did laugh at Chrissie's acknowledgement that the person she was 10 years ago would be bored with the person she is now.   My 28yo self would NOT enjoy a weekend in my 38yo (sensible, flat) shoes.

#8 **Xena**

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I don't have anything in common with it. Not only have I not lost any friends despite still being one of the only ones in my friendship groups to have kids, but I have made a lot more friends since having kids and still only a handful of those have kids.

I am a mother but I have many interests outside my own children and I value what other people bring to my life. I treat people like they are worth the effort to stay in touch with because to me they are. Likewise I am also treated that way in return.

#9 Bel Rowley

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Seeing it's a mod-started thread I can't help being pedantic - title should read "Do you have fewer friends now?", not less.

In answer to the question, no, if anything I have more friends than I did pre-children, but they are different friends. It's been surprising to see how some friendships have cooled while others have developed. Most of my friends pre-kids were those I made at the residential college I lived at during my first two years of university, now probably my closest friend of that group is one I barely had anything to do with previously, but after both having our first child within a week of each other we've become close and I see her way more frequently than any of the others.

I like my life and my friends now. I do miss some things about the old days, but I suspect my 23 year old self would be bored with my 33 year old self regardless of whether or not I had kids. I've changed in many ways apart from becoming a mother.

#10 Lethe

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

All of my friends had children before me, yet since bubs came along, I think one, maybe two have made contact or wanted to catch up. It's weird, I assumed we would have more points of contact but I assume everyone is bogged own with life and children stuff of their own. I realized after having a child that I was the one doing most of the work and now working full time and raising a child who has had health and development issues, I'm not able to maintain that. It has been a bit saddening, I have had an extended bout of depression post baby, bubs is 20 months and it still lingers, and it would have been nice to get a bit of support.

#11 Feraldadathome

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have fewer (gaaahhhhh!!) pre-child friends, but a greater number of friends overall.

#12 suzy-c

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

I had my son at 18 and have struggled to make and keep friend relationships ever since. I always seemed to be at a different stage to the people around me. I was not compatible with my young friends who stopped asking me out, because it took too long to organise babysitting.

Later, in my bakery days, my workplaces were all older men. Then when I was finally able to go to uni, I was a mature age student and surrounded by 18yr olds again. I don't have any friends with children, although I would like to have some. (Brisbane northside, if you're available!)  biggrin.gif

#13 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have probably no 'deep' level friends anymore (i.e. the ones who I would share EVERYTHING with), and I really miss it. It's probably not so much been due to children, as distance - my best friend is in the UK, next one moved to Brisbane, and although I'm still close with the bestie, it's not the same as when you can be in each other's daily lives.

I have no idea how to change it. sad.gif

#14 virtuallotus

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Of course, I just don't have as much free time anymore. Duh.  tongue.gif

#15 sarah_jane

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

I have different friends now.

But I would have expected to change friendships between 17 and 27 anyway, regardless of children.

I still have my very best friends, that I've known since primary school. I talk daily with one, weekly with another. I still put a lot of effort into friendships- but I have time without my kids to do this.

I have more friends with children, and common interests (uni as well) but these take less time and are less involved.

It's just  a life thing for me, not a children thing.

#16 sarah_jane

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

double post.

Edited by sarah_jane, 10 April 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#17 allie-jane

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Another  very refreshing and worthwhile contribution from Chrissie Swan. Thanks

#18 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have less friends now than before i had dd. Kinda almost a loner some would say. I'm not that fussed by it, not like i can pull a 4 day bender anymore anyway lol

im happy with a good tv show, movie or book these days

#19 vanessa71

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

One thing I never expected to do, once I got over the age of 25, was to make new friends. I have to say that it's been the opposite and have met some wonderful people, with a special few I could call very close friends.

I was never one to have lots of friends, but I have more now than I ever expected to have.

#20 BeachedAsBro

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have different friends. More online than IRL, however those online have become very near & dear to me & the few that live in NSW, I've met, so they're IRL friends now original.gif my DIG also introduced me to some new wonderful friends.

On counting friends from school, I only speak to two now & that's ok. Part of growing up is learning that it's ok to walk away from toxic friendships & develop new ones.

#21 Pearson

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Before I had DS, I had the partying life, and as he got older, we started this up a bit more, parties out the back yard, some other kids over, it was a bit of a party with everyone, not like before, everyone was cool.

Now, since DD, no real parties anymore, would rather be at home with the kids.

#22 JustBeige

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yes absolutely.  My single childless friends would be bored silly with my life now.

I once did have that urban myth experience of someone saying to me "so what do you do?"  when I replied "Well I've just become a mum" his eyes glazed over, he smiled weakly, said Oh and walked away.

DH and I burst into laughter because we never thought that people would actually do that.

I also find as I get older, I am more picky about what friends bring to my life and what I can contribute to theirs.   I am more selective these days as I truly have no patience for people who have OTT expectations on what friends should and shouldn't do.    I have lots more acquaintances, but less true friends and that is all good because these true friends accept me as I am and vice versa.

#23 FeralAndIKnowIt

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I think mostly my friendships are just different - definitely not as close to some anymore and closer to others that I wasn't to before having a child. I think it's because I've changed, much more than I realised I would, and as a result there are times where I feel pretty lonely.

#24 ~shannon~

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAl @ 10/04/2012, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have probably no 'deep' level friends anymore (i.e. the ones who I would share EVERYTHING with), and I really miss it. It's probably not so much been due to children, as distance - my best friend is in the UK, next one moved to Brisbane, and although I'm still close with the bestie, it's not the same as when you can be in each other's daily lives.

I have no idea how to change it. sad.gif

Me too Al. I moved to a new town last July and have since made a few friends, but no one yet who I could call close... hopefully over time I will. My three closest friends live a million miles away and we rarely email, text or phone. And it's not just that I'm not putting in the effort to maintain the friendship, they aren't either. We are all too busy with our children and our lives... I always try to remember birthdays and special occasions, and have sent presents for various reasons. I skype two of them occasionally, but it's not the same as sitting together having a coffee and chat. I miss them a lot.  sad.gif

#25 threeinnyc

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yes esp all my childhood friends live O/S. But it doesn't bother me, its part of being an adult; people move on etc.
I have few but very good friends, I'm happy with that happy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Chinese manufacturers tap into the cute factor with tree-grown babies.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.