18 month bedtime

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ~chiquita~

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Just curious as to what time does your 18 month old goes to bed?

DS goes down at 7pm, which I'm starting to think is a little early. I do like him in bed by 7 though.  biggrin.gif

#2 Carmen02

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

my DS is 17mths old and goes to bed at 7 original.gif His up anywhere between 6.30-7.30am

#3 delta508

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

between 7 and 7.30pm for us  biggrin.gif

#4 paddyboo

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

6pm

#5 laridae

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

7:30pm - ish.  Sometimes later.  Wakes up about 6:30am-ish (sometimes later).

I don't think it really matters that much at that age unless you have somewhere you need to be or are being woken up far earlier than you would like.

#6 duckasorus

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Between 730 and 9

She doesnt have a routine but a sleep pattern its really depends on what we have been doing and the night/day sleeps before hand

#7 mummy.to.one

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

We aim for 7.30, but if he is tired its earlier, or if we are running late it might be a little later, usually always before 8 though.

With the new daylight savings time he is waking around 6-6.30.

#8 Shorty78

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Up to about 3 weeks ago, DD2 (18 mths) was going to bed at 6.15.  It is more like 6.45pm now as she prefers to have her stories in bed with her big sister (3).

9 times out of ten, they are both asleep by 7 as that is when I watch home and away and nothing comes between me and my favorite show biggrin.gif !!!

#9 Roobear

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

DD is almost 15 months and is usually in bed by 5.30pm. She only has 1 x 40 min nap during the day though.

#10 Bluenomi

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Usually between 7:15 and 7:30. She has a big day sleep so we find that works best for her

#11 lozoodle

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

DD2 is 16 months old and bedtime is 6pm.

DD1 is 3yo and bedtime is 7pm.

We are up early, though, because I start work at 7am.

On weekends they are allowed up a bit later, about 7pm for the toddler and about 7.30/8pm for the 3yo. Wake around 6-7am.

#12 BabeBlossom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

DD is almost 15 months and is asleep between 7-7.30pm and will be for as long as we can manage it.
Does it feel too early as in DS isn't sleepy enough or you feel like you're missing out on time together?

#13 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

I aim for 7, 7:30 at the latest.

Mumma needs her time too!

#14 TotesAmazeballs

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

7pm. Sometimes she sits in her cot talking to her toys but she is always in bed at 7, unless we are out.

Usually she wakes about 7am, sometimes later.

#15 ~chiquita~

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for your replies, lots of varied times here and I'm jealous of some of those wake up times.

QUOTE (laridae @ 10/04/2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
7:30pm - ish.  Sometimes later.  Wakes up about 6:30am-ish (sometimes later).
I don't think it really matters that much at that age unless you have somewhere you need to be or are being woken up far earlier than you would like.

You guessed it. Since DLS ended it's been anywhere from 4.45 to 5.30. He was sleeping til 7 before then which meant I could get up, have coffee and jump in the shower by myself.

QUOTE (BabeBlossom @ 10/04/2012, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD is almost 15 months and is asleep between 7-7.30pm and will be for as long as we can manage it.
Does it feel too early as in DS isn't sleepy enough or you feel like you're missing out on time together?

He doesn't resist bedtime, although he's starting to whinge a little when I put him down. He's not exhausted like he used to be as he's happily running around the house playing with his toys. I basically have to tackle him. I might try a later bedtime tonight and see how that goes. Somehow I don't think it's going to make a difference though.

QUOTE (Retro_Mumma @ 10/04/2012, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I aim for 7, 7:30 at the latest. Mumma needs her time too!

I know! It's my favourite time of the day.  blush.gif

#16 laridae

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (~chiquita~ @ 10/04/2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He doesn't resist bedtime, although he's starting to whinge a little when I put him down. He's not exhausted like he used to be as he's happily running around the house playing with his toys. I basically have to tackle him. I might try a later bedtime tonight and see how that goes. Somehow I don't think it's going to make a difference though.

I would try for a little later - you can do it gradually if he's getting too tired.

I know I encouraged my daughter so stay up later after DLS ended so she would sleep in a little longer.

I pretty much let her stay up until she lets me know she want to go to bed - she'll ask for a nappy change  or tell me 'nigh nigh'.  But its around 7:30ish that she does that.  If she wakes up before 6am then I tell her to lie down and go back to sleep.  She normally will, or at least lie back down quietly anyway.

#17 Jenflea

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I've got a night owl who at 18 months was in bed at around 8.30 or 9 pm. But she did have a nice long nap of 2 or 3 hours during the day so THAT was my time, no husband, lots of reading to get done. Lovely.
She has always woken at around 7 or 8 am, weekends more like 8, no radio at 6.30 to wake her up.
My family are all night owls so it sort of amazes me when I see a baby who's only been up for 3 or so hours needing a 12 hour sleep.
Must be nice though lol.

#18 Allymeg69

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

My 18mth old is generally up until about 8.30pm, but he consistently had 1.5 to 2 hrs day sleep at Childcare, I don't get him home until 5.30pm, he has a little snack and his bath, then his dinner given by one of us or the step-kids while the other makes our dinner, he'll then sit at the table while we eat and often eat some of ours! Then he has a bit of playtime and asks for his milky and bed when he's ready (unless he's too busy playing with his brothers and sister!).

On the flip-side it's very rare for him to wake before 7am and sometimes we have to wake him - we are lucky we have pretty flexible schedules and work arrangements. Weekends are bliss, often 8am and sometimes even 8.30am before we hear "mumma, dadda" over the monitor! (no DLS to bother us in Darwin either)

#19 trishalishous

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

DD is nearly 2 and goes to bed between 9 and 11, depending on her day sleep.
She wakes between 8 and 10 most days

#20 Frenchgirl

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

7pm

#21 Mamabear2010

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

How many naps does your ds have and when does he wake up from his last nap?

At 18 months, my ds had two naps and I found he wasn't as tired when I put him down at his normal bedtime (6:45). Until he transitioned to a single nap, I made his bedtime a little later (7-7:15). Once he transitioned to a single sleep, I brought his bedtime back to 6:45-7, sometimes earlier if he's particularly tired.

My ds wakes anytime between 4:30am and 6:00am. I've found that his bedtime makes no difference to when he wakes up. If he goes to bed later than usual or wakes for an hour or more during the night, he still wakes at his usual time. He'll just be grumpier and more tired during the day.

I recommend looking at when his last nap finishes and maybe shift his bedtime back slightly, but mumma time is important! Also maybe look at your bedtime routine. Does he have a quiet activity before bed?

#22 librablonde

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

At 18 months, my kids had a very solid routine of nap 11.30-1.30pm and night-time sleep from 6.15pm-7am. Too bad it they weren't tired, didn't want to sleep or whatever, I still put them to bed at those times to save MY sanity original.gif However, they all developed really good sleep routines anyway and were so used to the bed times that they just fell asleep or, at worst, just lay in their cots and talked quietly to themselves until they fell asleep. We also had a solid bath/ reading/ wind-down routine before bedtime.

Edited by librablonde, 11 April 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#23 Mrs Manager

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

My DD went to bed at 7pm at that age, as she had to be up at 6am for daycare.  She has just now at almost 2.5yo started to push it out to 7.30/8pm (still up at 6am)

#24 Rumour has it..

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

DS goes to bed at 8pm here (19 months) it used to be 7.30 but then he would be playing in his cot for about an hour. Now hes alseep almost instantly original.gif

The days I work I have to get him up at 6am which I dislike because I can see how much he wants to sleep. The other days he gets me up at around 7.30 - 8am.

#25 amesv

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Both my DS's aged 18 months and 3 1/2 yo go to bed at 7pm. It keeps me sane.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.