Due in November, 2012 Chat Thread #5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#76 Heather-Elizabeth

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Ang1982 - how scary. Glad it is all ok now.

Christmas - I wont be quite as busy as you, but my son and Valentine will only be 17 months apart.

Other ladies, my parents had 4 kids, 10, 12, 14 &16 when they decided to have another. So a 10 year gap between the youngest and the baby. Mum found we were a lot of help and it made it a bit easier, as there were so many people to take a turn at holding the baby so she could have a shower etc.

AFM - I found out today that SIL is having a girl. She has had her first 3 kids taken off her by DoCS for neglecting them, so it is not a happy time. I'm just hoping the new boyfriend will step up and make sure the baby is looked after because SIL sure as heck wont.  mad.gif  To make it worse, she is due a week after I would have been with Storm.

#77 shoopdeboop

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ang1982- Wow, sorry to hear what you went through but glad the baby is ok!

Edz- That’s terrible about your SIL. I know of other people around here like that, it is just beyond me why they would continue to have children. Obviously not because they actually want them…. This woman was pregnant with her 6th child last yr. The grandmother had custody of a couple of them, and an ex-bf’s father had 2 of the girls (not their relative at all.. what the hell…..?) The gm told a friend of mine who was looking at foster caring, she could have the baby when it’s born if she wanted it……  I just can’t comprehend it.

Well I told my kids last night. They didn't say much, as I expected.. lol. I think it was a bit of a shock as we are all used to it just being the 4 of us and it is difficult to see that changing. They are very happy though, and have been making lots of comments about whether they are hoping for a boy or a girl, what we will name it, if they will have to share a room again (I so hope we can move I don't want to make them share a room at this age).
They are also talking about how old they will be when the little one is certain ages... They realised they will be 20 when the baby is their age  mellow.gif Such a big age gap that I didn't want.. I have older brothers with a gap like this and it just doesn't feel like we grew up together. I am just going to have to try hard to keep the closeness.

I have my first maternity appt tonight. My husband wanted to come so we will probably have to take the kids too. I hope my scan won't be too far away, can't wait to see what is going on in there. I dreamt last night that they stuck a needle in my arm without me realising, to take some blood, and then told me my vein had collapsed. I panicked and pulled it out and refused to have one. I am so scared now after the episode I had at my blood test a few weeks ago. laughing2.gif

Hope everyone is feeling good :-)

#78 jenmad

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi everyone,

Sounds like lots is going on for everyone. I guess its getting to the ore exciting bit of the whole deal - starting to feel more human again, having scans, getting bigger and soon having them moving etc. Time is flying by.

Ang1982- Your experience sounds truly terrible but I am so glad in the end it is all looking good for you. And makes me so angry they sent you home and dismissed you. Seriously, its lucky you had the determination to say they were wrong and go back again! Good on you for coping through all that on your own and all the best.

T.J- My scan is 350 and the blood tests are $150. We dont get much of that back but we get some. I sort of see it as a waste of money cause I know if they tell me I have a high chance of a trisonomy I wont have the amnio or other tests done in fear of the miscarriage. So Im not sure why I am doing it. Sort of for piece of mind but if it comes back high I will only be causing stress for the rest of the pregnancy.

AFM - feeling a little better. I can get off the lounge and do stuff which is great. Even play a bit with DD. Been very upset as I fee Im missing out on time with her whilst I am so ill. She is at such a gorgeous age I dont want to miss it!

#79 emnut

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi all - there is more of us than I thought with an older youngest child - my only other living child is 8.5 now.  

Ang - how scary & sad for you all at the same time.  Glad that you have one bub in the right place but sorry about your tube & the other bub.

TJ - I didn't even think to ask how much mine are - guess I'll find out soon enough.  

Jenmad - I'm mainly getting the NT testing done for the bloods funnily enough as it wll help assess the risk to some degree of the same complications I had with my DS's pregnancy.

EDZ - makes me so angry hearing about people like your SIL having more babies all the time while othes struggle so much & lose their children through no fault of their own.

Shoop - hope your appointment went well

Christmas - I can't even imagine having 3 under 3 - would definitely be a challenge.

AFM - we told DS last night that he is going to be a big brother.  His reaction - well that is if this one doesn't die sad.gif .  He has since become obsessed with why we don't have newborn photos of him around (it is because he was very premmie & ventilated etc that I find hard to look at).  So today for show & tell at school he has taken in his photos we do have of when he was born & in NICU & SCN since he has decided he is pretty special to have these photos.  So so sad after looking over them & reliving that time leading up to his birth & all the extra worry about issues whether small or big that come with a premmie.  Being so overemotional is making hope even more that we miss that journey this time.  Still sick since Easter & really struggling with working, football stuff & school stuff.

#80 Ang1982

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

EDZ- That makes me so angry people like that should be made to have their tubes tied or something.

Emnut-That must have broken your heart to what ds said but I guess thats just a front hes putting up so he doesnt get hurt. Glad he was able to take some pics to school.

NT Scan booked for Tues 22nd May seems so far way. Costing $120. My kids knew the first day I knew about the pregnancy but due to a m/c last year they knew they had to wait and see and not get too excited. They are happy though dd 9 keeps talking and kissing my belly and dd 6 keeps rubbing it so cute. ds 14 is too cool for all that stuff lol but hes happy and gave me a hug and said congrats.

#81 excitedfirsttimers

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I am sorry I have been incommunicado recently, my DH and I have been trapsing all over the bloody countryside! I am so sick of being in a car (which is the only time I ever seem to have nausia).
We had our second scan this morning, and our little peanut is bang on 10 weeks. I honestly nearly cried my heart out when I saw the ultrasound. His little arm was waving around which really bought it all home for me. My DH was with me and even he was stoked afterward, now acknowledging the peanut is a little person!!
We have planned to have our parents here on the mothers day weekend to tell them the news. This is after our 13 week scan so we can check for any issues with the baby, just so all our minds are at rest. We still havent told anyone and I am just bursting at the seams with the news, especially after this morning.
I am having a terrible time with constipation and I was wondering if anyone has any super remedies for the sitation. I am taking benefibre (about 5 teaspoons a day), and it doesnt seem to be working as well as it could.
Also after getting up in the night to go to the bathroom, I am unable to get back to sleep. My DH is frustrated by my continual fidgetting... does anyone have the same problems?

I hope everyone is well and all the little 'peanuts' are growing and forming!

#82 Heather-Elizabeth

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

janmad - I am not having the 12 week scan because, like you, we wouldn't have the amnio or anything anyway, so there is no point. It has a very high false positive rate, so my doctor said at my age, the chances of anything being wrong are so low that it wasn't worth doing, especially if we wouldn't do anything anyway. It will just lead to nu-necessary worry. In my last due-in group a heap of ladies came back with 'positive' results and not one of them had anything wrong with the baby.

emnut - that must be hard. Hopefully it will all go smoothly this time.

excitedfirsttimers - even though this is my second pregnancy, I am still busting to tell people. Keeping it quiet for a little longer though.

AFM - I have just been to the doctor, I think I have thrush, ick. And she had the results of my blood tests and even though I am taking Elevit and have been for months, my iron levels are low (29), so she has put me on more iron tablets as well as the Elevit.

#83 emnut

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

DS was born at 29 weeks TJ then when he was 4 we lost a baby at 18 weeks (which he brings up continually to anyone who would listen).  He has come home from school today after showing his newborn photos & yellow book saying over & over again how he is on his second chance of life according to his teacher so he was really lucky.

In a complete coincidence today, one of my friends, who is the mum of one of his friends, was in the room helping when they did show & tell.  When DS was born we lived over a hour away from where we are now & I only met her a couple of years ago in prep.  After seeing his photos today and talking to me later, we have worked out that her son was in the SCN at the "local" hospital (it was local to me then but while the closest hospital with any peadiatric services now - an hour away) for a couple of days for a blood transfusion & I remember him because he was the only big full term baby in SCN & we used to chat way back then & didn't even realise until today.

#84 shoopdeboop

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Emnut- I'm sure your son will get more excited as your tummy grows. Hope it all goes well for you this time.  hheart.gif

I had my 1st Maternity appt tonight. I didnt get the results of the blood tests I had done about 10 days ago because they apparently didn't have them..
The dr spoke to me about booking in for the NT test but I am not sure that I will. It wasn't done back when I had my last pregnancy. I'm sure it was only women over a certain age that had to have it. The false positive thing would be a bit stressful.. Not sure...
I was ordered a dating scan so I'm looking forward to having that done  original.gif

#85 Ang1982

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

I only booked a NT scan so I could see bubs I dont care if there is anything wrong we will love he/she no matter what. Regardless of the results I won't stress. Yeah all this stuff is new to me never had this when I was pregnant with any of my other kids.

#86 flyingfree

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Emmut I completely understand how your son is reacting to your pregnancy, my kids were the same when we told them we were pregnant with Lily and we just tried to reassure them what we are trying our hardest to bring a baby home but unfortunately she ended up with her sister, my daughter was constantly asking quesstions and I answered them the best I could.  She was also aware of babies dying before we lost Ruby since my nephew only lived for 3 days.
We haven't had a decision to when we will tell our kids but DD already knows, we just haven't comfirmed it with her, she guessed I was pregnant with the girls also.
Emmut if you don't mind me asking is your angel a girl or boy and did you name him/her.

Excitedfirsttimer -  I am also planning on telling my mum on mothers day, I am hoping to be able to find one of the photo frames with grandma or grankids it is and put all the photos in it and in bubs put due in november.

Shopdeboop - I am sure your lids will get more excited about baby as time gets closer, it's a long time for kids to wait.

I have my dating scan tomorrow, excited and nervous just want to see a healthy heratbeat.

#87 christmasiscoming

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Popping in to say hi  waves.gif

I went for my first appointment with my  new doctor yesterday.  She seems really lovely so that was comforting.  She sent off my referral for the hospital so now I sit and wait for confirmation back from them.  And I booked my NT scan too... I want to go to Sogi (at Southbank in Brisbane) again as we've been there for all of our previous scans with DS1 &2 (they do 3D/4D scans and you get a detailed booklet with your stats and heaps of pictures which we have treasured keeping).  Would you believe the first available appointment within the NT scan window is on the last day you can have it so I'll be 13w5d by then.  It seems like ages away (3.5weeks to wait) !!

I'll be counting down the weeks !!

I guess then it will seem so much closer to having the next one at 18/20wks to find out if this is going to be a  babygirl.gif   or a   babyboy.gif .   Now THAT is exciting original.gif

#88 emnut

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

rubylilysmum - he was a little boy born at 18 weeks - we named him Matthew Luke.

Christmas - glad you like your new dr.

AFM - after having a couple of really down day & crying heaps today I am feeling a lot more emotionally balanced.  Think everything got to me as well as having some triggers for my own issues at work but now ready to face the world in a more positive light again

#89 Ms_Jae

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Morning ladies.. been away working as always and looking forward to a 5 day break next week from Anzac Day.. Plus I have been sooo tired lately. All I really want to do is sleep, but at work its a bit hard too. In 3 weeks i have 2 weeks holidays so i know what I will be doing.. lol

I have my first and long awaited scan on Monday afternoon and I cant wait. Costing $121 to get it done, which isnt bad.

Hope you ladies are well.. I must say these threads go so fast, i cant keep up..
Belly rubs original.gif

#90 ~MakkaPakka~

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hi everyone

Quick update, have been to midwifery clinic on tuesday and all ready first obstatrician appointment at hospital tommrow.   ohmy.gif   Had a bit of a giggle as the midwife doing the intake must have been a student as she was trying to find bubs heartbaeat but I was only 9 weeks 2 days at the time.   tongue.gif  I would have been very surprised if she did find it that early.

I better organise the NT scan soon.  Time keeps getting away on me at the moment.  I am going to have the NT scan done.  If I had it done when I was pregnant with my first child (I was only 24 years old) they would have picked up the tumor (neural tube defect) that she had growing on her tail bone.  Then with our son, we did end up with a high NT scan and decided to go ahead with the amnio.  It was a very hard decision but in the long run it was best for us, not to terminate but to know what we were going to be dealing with.  We learnt with DD the more information you have the better as it was such a huge and scarey shock for us.  In the end DSs amnio came back fine.

#91 tanglez

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Super quick post... Had NT scan today, all looks great! Now I can finally start telling people without having that awful feeling of "yikes what if something happens?"

Love and light to all, can't wait to hear more about your journeys!

#92 christmasiscoming

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

*Tanglez*  &  *Makkapakka*  That's great news about your scans !!  I think that's part of the reason I was a little dissapointed that mine wont be until nearly 14wks - I wanted to just 'get it out there' at 12weeks but I really want to wait until the scan, just to make sure everything is OK before we go making any grand Facebook announcements to the world.  So everyone else will just have to hold tight too wink.gif

*TJ* Yep, I'll be having a 3D/4D scan for the 12wk and 18wk scans and then we'll book for another one at about 33weeks to get a final peek at the bub before delivery.  It's amazing the detail you see and you can then compare the ultrasound pics to the first baby pics !!  Amazing keepsakes for us and with subsequent babies we've compared stats and pics from the same stage to see if there's similarities and what not.  I think they're fantastic.

Well my 2 boys are in bed early (for once) so I'm heading downstairs to enjoy some (very well deserved today) peace & quiet ... aaahhhh. closedeyes.gif

#93 tanglez

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hope the time goes fast for your Christmas, I know how awful the wait can be! That is very cool about the 3d and 4d scans! I was a bit disappointed by our scan photos this time, nowhere near as clear, maybe the little one was just moving a lot more original.gif

As for telling ppl... This is my first and some close family and a friend know but I wanted to keep it really quiet. Unfortunately, news has already spread sad.gif My mum was a bit over excited and told ppl even after I had explicitly said I wanted to keep it quiet. It is not the end of the world, but it is new for me and all of a sudden it feels as though my private business has become a topic of gossip which upsets me. Anyways, sorry, just needed to have a vent it would seem original.gif

#94 10to10

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hi all,
How is everyone? It's been so long since I checked in here that I have heaps of reading to catch up on! Good that some of you are so close to the magic 12-week mark.
Well I've just come back from a trip to the UK to see my family. Ended up telling my folks and most of my siblings. Bit earlier than I would have liked ideally but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell them face to face. My sister is due end of June and my brother's partner mid-Aug so with any luck there will be 3 new kids in the family in 2012!
I wrapped up a pregnancy test and handed it over to my mum saying it was an Easter present from me & DP. When she unwrapped it she squealed for about 30 seconds straight! I'm her eldest child (36) & I think she had given up hope of my producing any grand kids. Bless her though, she thought that I'm expecting a girl because the test line was pink!! I had to explain that the technology is not quite that advanced yet ;-)
Have had only very mild and fleeting nausea, my main symptoms are tiredness (I'm in bed writing this at 9 pm!) and some very attractive pimples. So I feel for all those ladies who are suffering badly with M/S.
Excitedfirsttimer - I've had constipation too, like TJ I have been treating myself with prunes which seems to help.
Anyway, good night everyone, Friday tomorrow, hurrah!!

#95 Spring Chickadee

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Sorry I've been missing for ages, went overseas on a holiday and only got home 2 days ago. I was going to try to ready back through this thread first to get up to date but I think I'm better off just joining back in now.

I'm 11w2d now. NT scan is booked for 12w2d and then we will announce! So excited!!!!!

My mind is now in overdrive as I know once I hit that mark I will let myself start planning and shopping. I'm I super organized planner type so I already have an excel spreadsheet with a details shopping list (with all major purchases already thoroughly researched) and detailed budgets for the work I want done to the house while Im pregnant, medical costs, baby costs and maternity leave. ATM it looks like I'll have 12 months off full time. I will i will likely start doing freelance from 6 months to drag it out to 18 months.

I also gave in and ordered a Doppler to use. I know I really shouldn't as it just furthers my issue of needing to have constant control and reassurance but I totally gave in. Anyone else using a Doppler?

#96 flyingfree

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Spring Chickadee, i have a doppler which I got after Ruby passed away, I used it a few times while pregnant with Lily but didn't get many good readings but I only use it until 19 weeks so maybe once she would of got bigger I would of got better readings on it.

Emmut, Matthew Luke is oa beautiful name hhugs.gif

Had my scan today and all is well with baby, freaked out big time since I had a bit of spotting last night

#97 franno

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hi everyone,
Grrrrr to start I am in a bad mood. Been awake since 4.30 as got up for the loo then DD woke at 5. Tuesday morning I went to work after being awake since 2.30 so I guess this isn't as bad. Anyway I am friends with SIL on Facebook and she has been talking to my DH (her brother) this week about all sorts but didn't tell him about her new business venture. She has been posting it all over Facebook though. So, she is estranged from all her family except her dad and one of 3 brothers (which is my DH). My DH isn't on Facebook therefore her only friends who are family are her Dad (getting married next weekend) and me. This morning her Facebook status is "I have had congratulations from 32 friends on my business venture and 0 from my family. I know who isn't getting all my millions when I die". How weird is that? Do you think that's a dig at me? I think it is and DH thinks not. I am so angry at her rudeness I posted "do any of them know? I don't think DH does?" as I wanted to point out to all her Facebook friends that she hasn't actually told them! I should have said "that's what happens when you are estranged from all your family except the one who isn't on Facebook". It of course I refrained. Maybe I am just tired.

Anyway great news on the scans and the sickness getting better! Ang your ordeal looked so scary I am do glad everything was OK!! and our first NT scan done - yay!!

SC hope you had a wonderful trip and didn't get sick at all? I was like you with the organizing. By 16 weeks I had my cot, change table, bugaboo, clothes etc. when DH got made redundant and I was 20w we had nothing left to buy which was a relief. This time I have already brought a whole lot of blue in the pumpkin patch sale :-)

10to10 I recently read that an old wives tale is that pimples mean a girl so let's wait and see.

I am 10w2d today (lmp 10w4d) and I have my NT scan next Sat at 11w3d. Still feel really sick at night but I think tiredness is a contributer.

Talk over the weekend!!!!!!!!!

#98 ~A2~

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thread closed

New thread here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.