Elective c-section
Elective c-section after having emergency c previously

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Maysie81

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hi all
Just wanted to see if there's others out there who are having an elective c-section?
I had an emergency Caesar with DS so really don't want to have to go through a long labour again, only for it to result in a c-section. I'm hoping going straight to c-section will help me recover from it a little quicker this time, not be so tired etc.
When I tell people that I'll be going elective for this one, I tend to get some inquisitive looks and feel like I'm being judged (this could very well be in my head mind you).
I'd be interested to hear of other peoples experiences, choices, thoughts etc.
Happy EasterMaysie x

#2 Rewom

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

It seems to be me, women (especially) are as judgemental about C-sect V VB as they are about Formula v BFing. In the end, what matters is what is best for you and your baby.

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

I would just not tell them to be honest.

Do they really need to know? And if they ask, just say it hasn't been decided yet. I doubt you want ppl calling up and asking when your c/s is date is.

#4 jess1980

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Well from someone who has had two emergency c-sections I really wished id listened to myself and not the midwives who talked me into a vbac with my second child. After 20 hours later second time round sure enought I ended up having another c-section now Im pregnant with twins I told my OB from the first appt scheduled c-section as Im not going through all that again, listen to yourself you know your body better than anyone good luck original.gif

#5 kittycat01

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi,

We went elective on 1st as he got too big and with a SIL with horrific birth experience due to same a couple of years prior, I was happy when OB suggested it. I didn't tell people other than immediate family and it was done on my due date (or at 39wks depending on which date was used).

I intend to do a repeat Caesar on this one as I don't want to risk complications of rupture if I did a VBAC (we know I have adhesions due to scar tissue as it was obvious on scan in my last preg which ended in m/c). I am happy with my decision and I don't care if people think I am too posh to push but that doesnt mean I'll be advertising it. Will probably have it done between 7th-10th Nov and tell everyone I'm due in late november...keeping it vague original.gif

You can just say that you have been told that a natural birth is not possible due to the complications of your last birth...nobody likes to ask why!

Kitty

#6 Pearson

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I elected to have a c-sect when I fell pg with DD.  This was due to the emerg csect for DS and also I wanted to have TL (DD was a woopsy).

I went public and they supported me the whole way.

I told my parents and one other person when my csect was scheduled.  Everyone else got very annoyed that I did not tell them.  As you can see by my sig, I have a large age gap between my kids, so my main reason was to allow my son some adjusting time, without being overwhelmed by other relatives.

As per PP, tell others to mind their own business, or that you had complications last time....

#7 Mummy Duck

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

My first was an emergency c-sec for maternal exhaustion after a 51 hour labour I was 26yo recovery was awesome.

My next was a planned c-sec at 37yo and I expected it to be better. In some ways it was harder because it is like knowing when your going to win lotto and I found that stressful. The recovery was harsh and much harder than my first however again I think alot of that was to do with the fact I was a lot older.

My 3rd c-sec will be just after my 40th and in some ways I wished I had tried for a vbac with the last baby only because the recovery may have been shorter and it would give me an option for a vbac now. I am dreading those first few days. I know its the best option for the baby and so I wouldnt even consider a vbac now after 2 previous c-sections.

Good luck!

#8 fruitbat72

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

I had an emergency C section with my first (HELLP syndrome at 27 weeks - angel baby sad.gif ) then an elective section with DD1 (her father was very ill and I wanted SOMETHING to be predictable at the time).

When it came to planning the birth for DD2, I decided on VBAC as she was my last baby and I wanted to at least try for a natural delivery. The OB was not too keen given my history but we compromised on my being induced at 38 weeks.

They broke my waters and after a VERY uncomfortable couple of days, I ended up having a section anyway. I had my tubes done at the same time. As another PP said, I was 39 when I had DD2 (34 with DD1) and I found it a lot harder being that bit older - far more painful and it took me a long time to recover. C sections are not a soft option.

In a way, I am a bit sad that I never went through a natural birth but I have got 2 healthy girls (and 1 angel baby) and in the end, that is all that matters. Don't worry about what others say - it is none of their business how you choose to deliver and you are lucky to live in a country that offers a choice.

Good luck with your pregnancy

#9 lady_Mosh

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you - ended up with an emergency c-section after a 30hr+ labour and i'm not sure i want to go through the same ordeal again! All i remember is how exhausted I was after DD arrived and with less than 2 years between this one and very active DD, i want to do all i can to minimise that again!!

Have you spoken to your OB/midwife about it? I have an appointment today with my OB and it's one of the questions i have for him. I'm sure he'll be able to give me the pros and cons of either option to help me make my decision.

I'm also not one of those girls who feels like i have missed out on an important part of motherhood by not experiencing a vaginal birth. The actual procedure itself was a wonderful, positive experience for us.  As long as my children are healthy and i am able to spring back from the CS as quickly as last time (fingers crossed!!) I'm happy for an elective. However, i understand this is not the case for everyone.

As for judgey mcjudgey people, well... they are going to be the same with all your choices if it goes against their way of thinking! As a pp said, it's the same as bottle vs BFing, controlled crying, SAHM vs CCC and all the other big ones that are constantly debated on here. I generally find that if i keep my lips zipped and do what makes my family happy nobody can really complain....

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!!

#10 HANI

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (lady_Mosh @ 10/04/2012, 09:36 AM)
14474160[/url]']

I'm also not one of those girls who feels like i have missed out on an important part of motherhood by not experiencing a vaginal birth.

I'm the same. I wanted a CS with DS desperately. I asked every health professional I met but they all said you'll be fine. My mother had big babies. Mine was 4.2 kg born via emergency CS after an induction, 16 hrs of labour and having my little one's head stuck in my pelvis (they used forceps to pull him out during the CS). If they had gone with a CS in the first place I'm sure both DS and I would have had a less traumatic birth.
I know they say the prob with CS is recovery but I recovered really quickly with barely any pain. This time around I have already asked for an elective CS.

#11 vintage.blue

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

My first was an emergency CS and my second was an elective. I was planning on a VBAC but at 39 weeks I asked for an elective CS due to pre-eclampsia.

The recovery from the elective was so much better for me.

I didn't have any negative comments, but if you find you are, I just wouldn't tell anyone.

Good luck OP original.gif

#12 *Enigma*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

This baby will be my third elective. People will be judgemental and thats their problem, not yours! I always told people I was having a c/s and the date, and if they don't like it, to bad for them - my body, my reasons, my choice.

All my c/s were public and the staff were fantastic and I think as long as your DH and family are supportive it doesn't really matter what the small minded say  biggrin.gif

#13 franno

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I would be shocked if people judge you for an elective after having an emergency one the first time around. I just assumed that what's most people did and it's perfectly understandable. Of course I realize there are plenty of 'judgers' out there! I would also keep the details light if you're finding that's the case but you really shouldn't be being made to feel like that. My friends who have ended up with emergency c-sections had such traumatic times they shouldn't have to justify why they don't want to end up in the same position again.
When will people ever start respecting people's right to choose what they do with their bodies ? Never I suspect.

#14 ~MakkaPakka~

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

First two births were VBs

#3 was an emergnecy c/section under a general due to cord prolapse.  With everything that went on with #3there was a lot of anxiety with #4.  I ended up having an elective c/section and it was a lot better than the emergency one that is for sure.

With this one I was thinking about a VBA2C but I am in two minds, I will probley end up having another elective c/section with this one.  I had a talk to DH and he is petrified of loosing me and would prefer I have an elective c/section.

#15 jazzpup

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not part of this dig ( all finished for me!) but I thought I'd chuck in my 2c.
I had ane emergency CS with my first after they tried the vacuum thingy and recovery was horrid and I had a huge scar. This was public.
Went private on my second. OB wanted totry for a VBAC and I was happy to as well, except it went a bit pear shaped with an irritable uterus and 6 weeks in bed. We decided to do an elective CS with the blessing of my OB.
Recovery was fantastic, after the first 24 hrs I was feeling great, no problems at all.  The OB even neatened up my scar from the first butcher.
We didnt tell anyone until after and most people were fairly understaning given history.  But we made the decision for ourselves and our reasons.

#16 lexington

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

I had a MALE give me a dirty look and said how could you have never experienced labour? And said are you too posh to push? I said yes and he had a look of disgust on his face. It did not bother me one bit. I honestly can say that I do not feel like I have missed out one bit.

#17 Leha

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Rewom @ 09/04/2012, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems to be me, women (especially) are as judgemental about C-sect V VB as they are about Formula v BFing. In the end, what matters is what is best for you and your baby.

Agree with this 100%. I had a vbac and had alot of people telling me why don't I go for a repeat c/sect. Some were quite vocal.  I found the best strategy is just to not talk to anyone about it. If they ask state what you are doing and then change the subject. People will get the message soon enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.