AF has gone weird, what could it be?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Excentrique

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I will get to a doctor, but it will be a while before I can. I'm just freaking out and would like some ideas as to what this could be!

My AF has been getting progressively heavier and more painful over the past several months. Not drastically, just slowly. My last AF seemed a few days early (wasn't keeping track), and the most painful and heavy I have had yet. Two weeks later and I'm crampy and have brown spotting for two days now. Also over the past few months I have started spotting for a day or two before AF begins which is also new. What could it be?

Not on contraception, not pregnant.Please help, or I'm going to freak out until I can get in to my doc!

#2 Lausii

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm not sure but will keep an eye on this topic as mine has been doing this as well.  I am kind of putting it down to my age, I'm 37. I keep track of them on my iphone app and they are as regular as ever, just the last 4-5 months quite heavy and painful. Then this one that just finished was a breeze.

#3 Cat©

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Age?

I have been similar, but geting AF cramping pretty much all month, then AF shows early or this month not at all so far.

I'm wondering if Endo is the cause of mine, as I had this mentioned when I was young, and in my case, perhaps gets worse with age.....maybe a possibility for you?

#4 Excentrique

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm only 25!

#5 Excentrique

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

UPDATE for those with similar issues or interested: I now have continuous pain in one side. I ended up in ED on tuesday night, they think its an ovarian cyst, sent me home with instructions to come back if the pain gets worse.

I'm still in pain so I went to the doctor today, and have been referred urgently to the gyny for tomorrow. Tired of feeling so crappy!

#6 giggleandhoot

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah i  had that last year. Mine slowly burst - OMG was soooo painful. I had another bout last month so i think it's back again. I get sore on one side constantly then every 2 months with AF agony. I just had scans to make sure it went also it had fluid which they had to make sure isn't cancer ( we had family history of ovarian cancer)  I feel for you - i have never had anything so painful! and seems like i'm back with it again  sad.gif

#7 Jenflea

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Polyps or fibroids? I had 2 uterine polyps but it wasn't painful, just bleeding for 3 or so months almost constantly.

#8 Excentrique

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi Giggleandhoot, have they recommended the pill to you? They told me I would be best off on it as its supposed to prevent cysts from forming. And basically they reckon my AF is only going to get worse and worse until I'm spotting half the month if I don't take it. sad.gif I feel sorry for you, I've heard that when they burst its agony. The doctor at the ED reckoned that mine wont, I don't know how he knows that though! Hopefully he is right.

#9 Jenflea

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Have you had an internal ultrasound to see the ovaries?

#10 Excentrique

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Not yet, having an ultrasound tomorrow.

#11 Chasing*Rainbows

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I had a similar thing happen with my cycle, turned out I had a cyst on my ovary that was causing it. I've since had an ultrasound which showed endometriosis of the uterine lining and the pain apparently is bleeding in the muscle walls. Worth an ultrasound to check what's happening.

#12 giggleandhoot

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

yep did the pill -worst thing ever!!! didn't help for me and made me put on weight - one of the reasons i was at the dr as i couldn't loose weight as well. It is suppose to work, but if you read the fine print - it increases cysts! so i lasted a month and a half and i went crazy on it lol - not good for me!

#13 CharliMarley

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Fibroids will cause heavy bleeding, so you need checking out with an ultrasound. oomg.gif

#14 Excentrique

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Ultrasound came back clear. The gyny thinks I have endometreosis. I am going to try the pill and if that doesn't help I will have to have keyhole surgery.

#15 giggleandhoot

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Oh i hope the pill works for you! it did kind of work for me in that i had severe pain and from always 5 days to really only one day..but 5 days worth of pain and it evened AF out a little but still falling asleep/almost passing out a few days before AF arrived..it was supposed to help with iron or something but didn't really do that - but it did my head in and i got depression and all weird on it lol, was so happy to get off it. I'm off for a second opinion if mine doesn't get better - had the worst advice/medication from this one  sad.gif  Hope you don't need surgery. So they can't see that on an ultrasound?? wonder if i should ask a  new dr next time?

#16 HillmanMinx

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

The gyny thinks I have endometreosis.
I was thinking this.  I remember my cycle changing like you describe.  And the pain you describe.  Best thing I did (after 10 years of suffering, a few trials of drugs and surgeries)  was

1) get an laperoscopy and get any obvious endo lasered.
2) simultaneously get my uterus scraped.
3) get a mirena device inserted during the above procedures
4) get a script for voltaren 50mg (just a higher dose than over the counter) and take 100 mg as first dose on the first day of any period pain, and 50 mg every (whatever the box says) hours until it was completely gone (usually within a few days).

What I have described above is a cut-to-the-chase management plan for pain and inflammation caused by endometriosis.  It keeps it at bay.  The uterine scrape was critical because it meant the level of endometrial lining and subsequent power over my body was substantially reduced.  Less endometrial tissue hanging around = less powerful inflammatory (and bleeding) process when my bodies hormones triggered the monthly cue...

And putting the mirena device in to a clean uterus minimised breakthrough bleeding and allowed the hormone in it to take over from my own wayward hormones.

The anti inflammatories were only needed regularly (ie monthly) for a few months after the procedure, and tapered off as my body adjusted to the mirena device.  Now I don't even have any in the house!

I was terrified of the mirena because I had had the depo provera shot years earlier (only once) and it made me incredibly sick, made my period insanely heavy, and made me pass a giant uterine cyst that I thought was a small (half a maternity pad size) baby...complete with contractions, dialation of my cervix and PAIN (my only vaginal 'birth' lol)!

The reason I think I had such an adverse reaction to the depo shot is probably because I had endometriosis.  As the same hormone in the Depo shot is in Mirina - I was scared sh*tless and it was a last resort treatment.

My excellent GYN said that the level of hormone released by the mirena is miniscule compared to the depo shot.  He also said as it is released in-situ, it works where it is most needed.  It still travels round the body, but it is able to be highly effective because its in the uterus.

I 100% believe I would have had a bad outcome had I not had the uterus scrape at the time of insertion.  And the laperoscopy to laser the little bits of visible endo (basically removing as much of the endometrial tissue as possible, then adding the mirena hormone to prevent the remaining bits from being flared up each month.

Anyway.  Long post.  But I have had a painful gyn life, and this is my gold standard experience and gave me my life back. x

Edited by HillmanMinx, 21 April 2012 - 09:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.