Low Haemoglobin Levels?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi, I have recently had to have a blood transfusion as I had a m/c and lost alot of blood. When I left hospital my haemolglobin level was 97, which is considered quite low. The doctor said that it should be over 100. She has advised me to keep taking my iron tablets daily to build up my levels. I still feel quite weak and drained, is there anything like a vitamin/supplement you could recommend to help me get back to normal?

#2 Wigglemama

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Take your iron with Vitamin C to help absorb the iron better.

#3 my4beautifulboys

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Wigglemama that sounds good, I will have to get some Vitamin C tablets as well.

#4 Schnitzelvonkrumb

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Also make sure you are not taking your iron with calcium rich foods, because they will reduce absorption. Leave at leat a 2 hour gap.

ETA sorry about your loss

Edited by willanddaisysmum, 08 April 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#5 TheAP

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

There's no proven link between Vitamin C and Iron absorption so take them together or don't. My OB & GP said it makes no difference.

You can however make a big difference with vitamin B12. It's available in tablet form from health food stores and supermarkets/chemists.

I lost 1 litre of blood after DS's birth OP so I know how crap you feel. Try and get as much rest as you can including early nights and eat red meat. You absorb something like 3-5% of the iron supplement your taking which is barely anything. original.gif

#6 my4beautifulboys

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for youre replies, I feel a little confused now, some of you say Vitamin C and Smyla80 says Vitamin B12? Thanks for the suggestion regarding Chinese medicine, but Im not sure that I would have one of those where I live(in the country).

I do actually eat quite abit of red meat, but it seems my absorbtion is the trouble. As when I was only 4 or 5 weeks pregnant they we re quite low then and in previous pregnancies they we re also low, so my GP advised I take Iron supplements.

I imagine after blood loss like that, it will take some time to build myself up again, I will have to concentrate on not overdoing it for a while, although its abit hard with 3 little ones to run after.

Edited by my3beautifulboys, 08 April 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#7 Wigglemama

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

OP all the literature I have read states that there is a proven link between Vitamin C and the absorption of iron due to Vitamin C being able to break down iron into the most soluble and absorbable form, so that it is absorbed into the intestinal tract easier. The hospital I work at still medicates women with Vitamin C and iron together, so if the literature is false, then not everyone has cottoned onto it.

You can also try other iron rich food like spinach and even Milo! Yum!

#8 agnodice

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hi OP. sorry about your loss.

A haemoglobin of 97 is not particularly low and should not be making you feel particularly tired or run down. Honestly, a miscarriage is enough to knock you about for a while!

Take the iron if you want, take vitamin c if you want... But I actually think you should be kind and gentle with yourself as give yourself time to mourn your loss and heal. I think that will do much more for you than any supplements or eating red meat.

Incidentally, vit c does help absorption of iron

#9 muminbusiness

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

My dh had a low hemoglobin of 65. He had to have transfusions

#10 Ella mum

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Sorry for your loss OP.

Try the liquid iron along with increasing  iron intake through diet.

I had iron injections when my levels were really low. A few days later I felt like a million bucks!

Good luck!

#11 my4beautifulboys

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hi, thankyou for youre replies and thoughts. As each day goes by I am started to feel abit stronger and starting to come to terms with the trauma of what has happened. I am taking my Iron tablets each day and have now started taking the Vitamin C tablets as well (blackmores). I will also try and increase my iron intake in my diet, eat abit more spinach, greens and of course red meat!

I will be making an appt to see my GP next week, and i should imagine that she will want me to have a blood test, to check on my iron/haemoglobin levels.

#12 KristyMum-

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
That on it's own is enough to knock you for a while xo

Re: haemoglobin, mine is terrible and never behaves and I've not found a supplement that 'fixes' things yet.  Like you, my issue seems to be absorption and I'm looking into a few things as possibilities for example I take oroxin for hyperthyroidism and if those levels are out of whack it impacts (among other things) on metabolism.  I'm also looking at certain things I eat in terms of the way my body deals with them and consequently absorption in general.

So I guess I'm suggesting if things aren't improving soon enough then head back to your carer, tell them so and find out what more you can look into until it's sorted.

best of luck.

Edited by KristyMum-, 09 April 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#13 lynneyours

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

OP - sorry for your loss.  My iron levels were recently tested at 4.  I too am exhausted and have been really ill for the last week, and have been getting every disease going round - it is doing my head in.  

my GP told me to take iron tablets with vitamin c but to avoid caffeine whilst taking them, as VitC helps absorption, whilst caffeine stops it.

HTH.

#14 my4beautifulboys

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for youre replies and suggestions. As each day goes by i do feel slightly better, Ithink it will take a little time to get back to normal.

My iron levels have always fairly low as I think i must have poor absorbtion which doesnt help, and also that Im busy all day running after three little ones doesnt help either! I do make an effort to drink more water now, as the Iron tablets tend to upset my tummy abit.

lynnemine Thanks for youre advice. I hope that youre soon feeling better, and you manage to get youre iron levels sorted out.

#15 Leee

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

I had a 3 litre post partum haemorrhage recently and 3 blood transfusions, my hb was 60.  it took me quite a while to feel better again. You might want to compare other iron tablets, i think I was told to swap to ferrograde c, which is a higher content iron plus it has vit c in as well.

#16 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I am taking spatone.

It seems to be absorbed well, as it is basically a natural mineral water.

I was dubious at first, but my levels have gone up, and I feel better.

#17 irises

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (flickery @ 31/03/2012, 12:06 PM)
14447485[/url]']
Yep, I'm another who had worryingly low iron both pregnancies and had breathlessness, heart palpitations and fatigue to show for it. My iron stores were down to 7 this pregnancy (and haemoglobin 10).

I just had my levels retested last week (38 weeks preg now) and thankfully I've managed to double my stores over the past couple of months. I did this by having one x 300mg ferrous gluconate tablet every morning and one every night, always with orange juice. (And choosing meat dishes wherever I could). It's important not to take any more than one tablet at a time as your body simply can't absorb any more than that at once.

Check how much iron your tablets contain too - I've noticed some on the market contain as little as 5-15mg, but still cost as much. Useless!

QUOTE (flickery @ 31/03/2012, 09:21 PM)
14448703[/url]']
Hmmmm, not sure what you can do about the constipation - I don't suffer from it. The only side effects I get are nausea if I have an iron tablet on an empty stomach.

Found this useful link which tells you which foods limit iron absorption http://www.livestrong.com/article/280321-w...rom-iron-pills/  I was surprised to see a cup of black tea can limit your absorption by 80-95% if you have it too close to having the tablet!
Anyway, the iron tablets I get are made up in-house at a compound chemist - you can't just get them at any chemist - and they claim (as they would, I guess) that they have fewer side-effects. Seems to be true for me, though? Each tablet contains 200mg of ascorbic acid (along with the 300mg of ferrous gluconate) so that extra Vit C probably also helps with the absorption.

Hi there OP, there was another thread recently about having low iron... See quotes above. Hope this helps.

#18 my4beautifulboys

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

*UPDATED*

Hi, I have just recently had a blood test for my haemoglobin/iron levels, now nearly three weeks after my miscarrige, blood transfusion and d&c.

The results were haemoglobin 109 and iron 14, the nurse advised that they like haemoglobin levels to be above 115,not sure about iron. So they are gradually coming up as it was down to 97. I am taking Ferro Grad Iron tablets with Vitamin C.

I think I will have to try and eat abit more red meat, perhaps include liver in my diet two days a week?

Edited by my3beautifulboys, 20 April 2012 - 01:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.