No Bunny?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Apologies if it's already been done, but anyone else not have the Easter Bunny visiting?

Our son is three and he will have his first taste of chocolate tomorrow - we've bought one of the Cadbury Fairtrade eggs to break up and share (hubby's decision, I was happy to stay chocolate free for longer, but am happy enough to do the sharing thing I suppose). But we'll just do it later in the morning together, none of the fanfare (decorations, baskets, easter egg hunts).

Similarly we haven't done Santa yet (and don't know if we will  ohmy.gif ), so are we horrible, boring parents who are sapping enjoyment and excitement out of the holidays for our son??   tongue.gif

Happy Easter everyone!

#2 MummySmiles

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

yep wink.gif

Edited by ann**, 07 April 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (ann** @ 07/04/2012, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep wink.gif

Yep, no bunny, or Yep, we suck? wink.gif

#4 paddyboo

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 07/04/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Similarly we haven't done Santa yet (and don't know if we will  ohmy.gif ), so are we horrible, boring parents who are sapping enjoyment and excitement out of the holidays for our son??   tongue.gif

Sorry, but yep. It's one day of the year!

#5 MummySmiles

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yep that you are sapping the excitement out of Easter.  tongue.gif

But in all honesty- what ever works for your family- if you are happy to do it that way then go for it.

Personally, Easter was so fun for myself, and siblings, when we were younger- not just about the eater eggs though. But about the whole day being special.

#6 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yep you suck. Tounge1.gif

Lol, no, different strokes and all that. We love the Easter bunny and Santa. Tounge1.gif

#7 lafonda

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Whatever works for you.

I would hate to not do easter bunny and santa for my DS

#8 roses7

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Oops, we must have posted simultaneously! I just posted about the same topic  biggrin.gif

To sum up, we don't have the bunny visiting our house either. Our kids are very happy, loved and have their fair share of fantasy. They just don't think that a gigantic rabbit hops all over the world delivering chocolate eggs.

#9 ubermum

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 07/04/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

I answer that way because we rev our kids up for weeks and they are really excited about Easter bunny and Santa. We also get right into the religious meaning behind the events. I baked hot cross buns on Friday, we talked about the significance of the day and we had fish for dinner. Tomorrow the kids will get up and get excited at their big egg on the dining room table and then hunt for a bunch of little eggs in the backyard. We will all then go to church.

You don't have to do Santa, Easter bunny or religious holidays, but I do think it is important to have family traditions and times of the year that you all look forward to celebrating together as a family.

#10 KnightsofNi

I am all for a healthy diet, but not letting a child taste chocolate until they are three is 'sapping enjoyment' to me.

The Easter bunny and Santa thing I couldn't care less about, I only participate to please everyone else.

#11 teenie

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

my son is 4 now. I didn't bother with all the fanfare of Xmas and Easter last year (ie Santa, Easter bunny)...

However this year, seeing how excited he and his preschool class were at finding Easter bunny footprints in their classroom last thursday, I've had a change of heart... They are this young and innocent for such a short time!!

So I've dutifully dotted the house with a few small eggs, and bunny footprints...  I honestly can't wait for him to wake up tomorrow!!

EFS

Edited by teenie, 07 April 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#12 NATPR

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Yes, kill-joy comes to mind when reading your post.

We do an easter hunt in our backyard and the kids are more excited about finding them than eating them.  They usually have one mini egg and that's it...probably less than your egg broken up to share.  They are put into a container and pretty much eaten by adults over the next few weeks.

As for Santa...again it doesnt have to be big and spoiling to make it fun.  Its the spirit of the day that the kids love.  The excitement of sharing the celebrations with family and friends and enjoying lovely home made food and good times together.

There is more to these days in our house than chocolate and presents, I guess its just how you run it that makes the difference.

#13 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

No bunny. But we do the Easter Hunt!
I think it is more for me than them as I don't remember doing anything like that as a kid.
I have a heap of plastic eggs with various things in them (small eggs, balloons, chicks, rings etc) for tomorrows hunt.

I have told my kids till I am blue in the face that Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy are not real but they are now at that stage of denial. Their friends believe it, so it must be true. Meh.

Edited by Cathode, 07 April 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#14 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Can... open. Worms... everywhere!

Guess I asked the question original.gif  

Yes, we do have other family traditions. They involve extended family meals/get-togethers, church. I didn't grow up with Easter egg hunts in the backyard - we had a little decorated tree, our handmade baskets - things I'm looking forward to when he's a bit older (like next year). I don't remember putting out a carrot for the Bunny. I do remember doing that for Santa's reindeer.

I do think that as he gets older, like teenie shared, then the fun of it will be more of something to embrace without going all out (ie. main present from us, not Santa). Plus, without siblings or cousin's or being at preschool, I guess it's not something we've really put thought into. He doesn't know he's supposedly missing out on anything original.gif

Glad to see there is one other family out there, roses7 without it all.

Regardless of what we're all doing, I hope the weather is kind to everyone and you all have a wonderful time celebrating!

#15 TotesFeral

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Even my 19 month old is having an easter egg hunt and bunny paw prints to wake up to in the morning  tongue.gif

I've been waiting years to be able to do all this fun stuff!!!

#16 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Yes, you are sapping the enjoyment out of childhood for your son.

#17 BeYOUtiful

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

OP, I think you should be proud your DS has not had choc for 3yrs.  I thought I was doing well lasting until this Easter.

Now I am feeling guilty I haven't made bunny footprints to put down the hallway.  He is only 20mths but would certainly noticed the feet, doesn't miss a trick this kid lol.

We are having an easter egg hunt with family and easter crafts - making bunnies, sticker crafts and painting.

As for tradition.  I have started by taking a photo of J each Easter and Christmas with an outfit I have made for him and giving a photo to all the family.  This year he was an Easter chick biggrin.gif

Now I am getting out of bed and going to cut up some bunny feet.......

#18 poss71

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 08/04/2012, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I am getting out of bed and going to cut up some bunny feet.......

dude! That's so wrong.

Lol

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

I don't get it. I realise not everyone celebrates the same, but I've seen those Cadbury Fairtrade eggs and they are small. It's a pretty small egg to break up and share as an Easter treat. It sounds terribly stingy.

I know there are other ways to celebrate but my mum is a chronic non-celebrator and never put any effort into Santa - just dumped some poorly hidden toys in our sack - stopped putting up a tree and left it to my sister/me to do - at one point when I was about 10 we had no tree and I would cut a branch of a tree to decorate - and the only time we got eggs after I was about 7yo were if my sister bought us some - mum made hard boiled eggs for Easter Sunday breakfast (like she did at least one morning a week). They were simply put on the dining room table which was cool ... but not very exciting. I am struggling to remember a birthday cake after 12yo - I made that one it was a Gingerbread House and I made it with friends I had over for a slumber party.

And you know what? It was pretty difficult to create the joy and excitement out of nothing. I don't remember these events as terribly exciting. Christmas lost it's magic before I was 12, birthdays ceased to matter at about the same age (not that they were huge before) and Easter hasn't been exciting since mum stopped making those marshmallow bunnies in the moulds when I was about 5yo.

So yeah. I think you are sucking the joy and excitement out of the holidays. It's not like we didn't celebrate because we did celebrate all these things but no one, when I was a child, made the effort to make it even a little bit exciting and child friendly except my older sister until she moved out when I was 10yo. I don't have fond memories.

It could be why I go nuts for my kids. We have Santa photos, decorate the (huge) tree together, leave milk/cookies/carrots, hunt eggs, feed reindeer, get new pyjamas, take endless photos of Santa sacks ...

I'm sorry but your celebration sounds sort of ... sad to me. I hope you have a lovely day though whatever you do - it wouldn't be enough for me though.

#20 -*meh*-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

i find it sad...

but thats because i love the magic of children and their ability to believe in the magic behind these characters.

every year we do a big easter hunt, visit santa, decorate the tree, leave carrots out for the easter bunny.

my kids are only young once and whilst they can believe and get excited then i will indulge every moment of it. I love the memories i have as a child before i knew the "truth" and i hope to make many for them.

#21 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

My kids don't believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny, but they do believe in CHOCOLATE! We will be doing an egg hunt because it's fun stuff.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday regardless of what you will be doing.

#22 Mrs.Brown

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Similarly we haven't done Santa yet (and don't know if we will ), so are we horrible, boring parents who are sapping enjoyment and excitement out of the holidays for our son??
Yes.

Each to their own and parenting is an individual thing but seeming you asked OP I do think your sapping enjoyment and excitement out of your son.

Children are only young once in their lifetime. Before we know it, they are entering peer pressure and the angst/pitfalls that can come with that, puberty ( and we all know what that is like! ), high school exams, pressure to finish year 12 with decent grades, then off to uni if not work and so on. Once the young childhood is over, the pressure begins to climb.

So I really beleive that children need the magic of the Easter Bunny, Santa, Tooth Fairy etc in their lives, and far too soon the magic of this imagination is gone.

Just tonight DD 6 asked if the Easter Bunny was real. My heart sank a little sad.gif I know that her no longer beleiving isnt too far away. If I can postpone that, even for another year or 2 I will be happy. But I know its not too far away. And the thought of her losing that magic makes me very sad.

#23 ms flib

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

I admire you but couldn't do it with 3 kids. We didn't do much when our son was young.

Our kids will each get one fair trade 100g easter egg. Today we made toy bunnies which will be part of our egg hunt.

It's a special day and we'll have an egg hunt with decorative eggs in the garden then everyone will get a kinder surprise.

Have a great day!

#24 bakesgirls

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 07/04/2012, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Your son will only be a child once. Missing out on things like this matter to kids IMO.

howdo your post made me feel sad, I'm glad you make it a big deal for your kids. Stuff like that they will cherish forever. My mother was sort of similar to how yours sounded. I also make a big deal of it for my children now.

#25 Mrs.Brown

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

It could be why I go nuts for my kids. We have Santa photos, decorate the (huge) tree together, leave milk/cookies/carrots, hunt eggs, feed reindeer, get new pyjamas, take endless photos of Santa sacks ...

Same here. I know I go what others would consider way overboard, but as my alcoholic parents made sure my xmas's and easters as a child were all about them and their endless supply of xmas beer, and very little for us kids, I make sure my own children beleive as long as possible, and have the magic and excitement of these special times.

I love it, and so have they original.gif I want them to remember these times, and pass it on to their own children. Happy memories of a magical childhood original.gif. My near 21 yr old DS still gets excited at xmas and cant wait until xmas morning, he is like a 4 yr old lol. Its great!

Edited by Icehouse, 08 April 2012 - 12:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.