No Bunny?

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Apologies if it's already been done, but anyone else not have the Easter Bunny visiting?

Our son is three and he will have his first taste of chocolate tomorrow - we've bought one of the Cadbury Fairtrade eggs to break up and share (hubby's decision, I was happy to stay chocolate free for longer, but am happy enough to do the sharing thing I suppose). But we'll just do it later in the morning together, none of the fanfare (decorations, baskets, easter egg hunts).

Similarly we haven't done Santa yet (and don't know if we will  ohmy.gif ), so are we horrible, boring parents who are sapping enjoyment and excitement out of the holidays for our son??   tongue.gif

Happy Easter everyone!

#2 MummySmiles

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

yep wink.gif

Edited by ann**, 07 April 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (ann** @ 07/04/2012, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep wink.gif

Yep, no bunny, or Yep, we suck? wink.gif

#4 paddyboo

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 07/04/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Similarly we haven't done Santa yet (and don't know if we will  ohmy.gif ), so are we horrible, boring parents who are sapping enjoyment and excitement out of the holidays for our son??   tongue.gif

Sorry, but yep. It's one day of the year!

#5 MummySmiles

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yep that you are sapping the excitement out of Easter.  tongue.gif

But in all honesty- what ever works for your family- if you are happy to do it that way then go for it.

Personally, Easter was so fun for myself, and siblings, when we were younger- not just about the eater eggs though. But about the whole day being special.

#6 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Yep you suck. Tounge1.gif

Lol, no, different strokes and all that. We love the Easter bunny and Santa. Tounge1.gif

#7 lafonda

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Whatever works for you.

I would hate to not do easter bunny and santa for my DS

#8 roses7

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Oops, we must have posted simultaneously! I just posted about the same topic  biggrin.gif

To sum up, we don't have the bunny visiting our house either. Our kids are very happy, loved and have their fair share of fantasy. They just don't think that a gigantic rabbit hops all over the world delivering chocolate eggs.

#9 ubermum

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 07/04/2012, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

I answer that way because we rev our kids up for weeks and they are really excited about Easter bunny and Santa. We also get right into the religious meaning behind the events. I baked hot cross buns on Friday, we talked about the significance of the day and we had fish for dinner. Tomorrow the kids will get up and get excited at their big egg on the dining room table and then hunt for a bunch of little eggs in the backyard. We will all then go to church.

You don't have to do Santa, Easter bunny or religious holidays, but I do think it is important to have family traditions and times of the year that you all look forward to celebrating together as a family.

#10 KnightsofNi

I am all for a healthy diet, but not letting a child taste chocolate until they are three is 'sapping enjoyment' to me.

The Easter bunny and Santa thing I couldn't care less about, I only participate to please everyone else.

#11 teenie

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

my son is 4 now. I didn't bother with all the fanfare of Xmas and Easter last year (ie Santa, Easter bunny)...

However this year, seeing how excited he and his preschool class were at finding Easter bunny footprints in their classroom last thursday, I've had a change of heart... They are this young and innocent for such a short time!!

So I've dutifully dotted the house with a few small eggs, and bunny footprints...  I honestly can't wait for him to wake up tomorrow!!

EFS

Edited by teenie, 07 April 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#12 NATPR

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Yes, kill-joy comes to mind when reading your post.

We do an easter hunt in our backyard and the kids are more excited about finding them than eating them.  They usually have one mini egg and that's it...probably less than your egg broken up to share.  They are put into a container and pretty much eaten by adults over the next few weeks.

As for Santa...again it doesnt have to be big and spoiling to make it fun.  Its the spirit of the day that the kids love.  The excitement of sharing the celebrations with family and friends and enjoying lovely home made food and good times together.

There is more to these days in our house than chocolate and presents, I guess its just how you run it that makes the difference.

#13 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

No bunny. But we do the Easter Hunt!
I think it is more for me than them as I don't remember doing anything like that as a kid.
I have a heap of plastic eggs with various things in them (small eggs, balloons, chicks, rings etc) for tomorrows hunt.

I have told my kids till I am blue in the face that Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy are not real but they are now at that stage of denial. Their friends believe it, so it must be true. Meh.

Edited by Cathode, 07 April 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#14 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Can... open. Worms... everywhere!

Guess I asked the question original.gif  

Yes, we do have other family traditions. They involve extended family meals/get-togethers, church. I didn't grow up with Easter egg hunts in the backyard - we had a little decorated tree, our handmade baskets - things I'm looking forward to when he's a bit older (like next year). I don't remember putting out a carrot for the Bunny. I do remember doing that for Santa's reindeer.

I do think that as he gets older, like teenie shared, then the fun of it will be more of something to embrace without going all out (ie. main present from us, not Santa). Plus, without siblings or cousin's or being at preschool, I guess it's not something we've really put thought into. He doesn't know he's supposedly missing out on anything original.gif

Glad to see there is one other family out there, roses7 without it all.

Regardless of what we're all doing, I hope the weather is kind to everyone and you all have a wonderful time celebrating!

#15 TotesAmazeballs

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Even my 19 month old is having an easter egg hunt and bunny paw prints to wake up to in the morning  tongue.gif

I've been waiting years to be able to do all this fun stuff!!!

#16 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Yes, you are sapping the enjoyment out of childhood for your son.

#17 BeYOUtiful

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

OP, I think you should be proud your DS has not had choc for 3yrs.  I thought I was doing well lasting until this Easter.

Now I am feeling guilty I haven't made bunny footprints to put down the hallway.  He is only 20mths but would certainly noticed the feet, doesn't miss a trick this kid lol.

We are having an easter egg hunt with family and easter crafts - making bunnies, sticker crafts and painting.

As for tradition.  I have started by taking a photo of J each Easter and Christmas with an outfit I have made for him and giving a photo to all the family.  This year he was an Easter chick biggrin.gif

Now I am getting out of bed and going to cut up some bunny feet.......

#18 poss71

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (~Jane05~ @ 08/04/2012, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I am getting out of bed and going to cut up some bunny feet.......

dude! That's so wrong.

Lol

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

I don't get it. I realise not everyone celebrates the same, but I've seen those Cadbury Fairtrade eggs and they are small. It's a pretty small egg to break up and share as an Easter treat. It sounds terribly stingy.

I know there are other ways to celebrate but my mum is a chronic non-celebrator and never put any effort into Santa - just dumped some poorly hidden toys in our sack - stopped putting up a tree and left it to my sister/me to do - at one point when I was about 10 we had no tree and I would cut a branch of a tree to decorate - and the only time we got eggs after I was about 7yo were if my sister bought us some - mum made hard boiled eggs for Easter Sunday breakfast (like she did at least one morning a week). They were simply put on the dining room table which was cool ... but not very exciting. I am struggling to remember a birthday cake after 12yo - I made that one it was a Gingerbread House and I made it with friends I had over for a slumber party.

And you know what? It was pretty difficult to create the joy and excitement out of nothing. I don't remember these events as terribly exciting. Christmas lost it's magic before I was 12, birthdays ceased to matter at about the same age (not that they were huge before) and Easter hasn't been exciting since mum stopped making those marshmallow bunnies in the moulds when I was about 5yo.

So yeah. I think you are sucking the joy and excitement out of the holidays. It's not like we didn't celebrate because we did celebrate all these things but no one, when I was a child, made the effort to make it even a little bit exciting and child friendly except my older sister until she moved out when I was 10yo. I don't have fond memories.

It could be why I go nuts for my kids. We have Santa photos, decorate the (huge) tree together, leave milk/cookies/carrots, hunt eggs, feed reindeer, get new pyjamas, take endless photos of Santa sacks ...

I'm sorry but your celebration sounds sort of ... sad to me. I hope you have a lovely day though whatever you do - it wouldn't be enough for me though.

#20 -*meh*-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

i find it sad...

but thats because i love the magic of children and their ability to believe in the magic behind these characters.

every year we do a big easter hunt, visit santa, decorate the tree, leave carrots out for the easter bunny.

my kids are only young once and whilst they can believe and get excited then i will indulge every moment of it. I love the memories i have as a child before i knew the "truth" and i hope to make many for them.

#21 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

My kids don't believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny, but they do believe in CHOCOLATE! We will be doing an egg hunt because it's fun stuff.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday regardless of what you will be doing.

#22 Mrs.Brown

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Similarly we haven't done Santa yet (and don't know if we will ), so are we horrible, boring parents who are sapping enjoyment and excitement out of the holidays for our son??
Yes.

Each to their own and parenting is an individual thing but seeming you asked OP I do think your sapping enjoyment and excitement out of your son.

Children are only young once in their lifetime. Before we know it, they are entering peer pressure and the angst/pitfalls that can come with that, puberty ( and we all know what that is like! ), high school exams, pressure to finish year 12 with decent grades, then off to uni if not work and so on. Once the young childhood is over, the pressure begins to climb.

So I really beleive that children need the magic of the Easter Bunny, Santa, Tooth Fairy etc in their lives, and far too soon the magic of this imagination is gone.

Just tonight DD 6 asked if the Easter Bunny was real. My heart sank a little sad.gif I know that her no longer beleiving isnt too far away. If I can postpone that, even for another year or 2 I will be happy. But I know its not too far away. And the thought of her losing that magic makes me very sad.

#23 ms flib

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

I admire you but couldn't do it with 3 kids. We didn't do much when our son was young.

Our kids will each get one fair trade 100g easter egg. Today we made toy bunnies which will be part of our egg hunt.

It's a special day and we'll have an egg hunt with decorative eggs in the garden then everyone will get a kinder surprise.

Have a great day!

#24 bakesgirls

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 07/04/2012, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Your son will only be a child once. Missing out on things like this matter to kids IMO.

howdo your post made me feel sad, I'm glad you make it a big deal for your kids. Stuff like that they will cherish forever. My mother was sort of similar to how yours sounded. I also make a big deal of it for my children now.

#25 Mrs.Brown

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

It could be why I go nuts for my kids. We have Santa photos, decorate the (huge) tree together, leave milk/cookies/carrots, hunt eggs, feed reindeer, get new pyjamas, take endless photos of Santa sacks ...

Same here. I know I go what others would consider way overboard, but as my alcoholic parents made sure my xmas's and easters as a child were all about them and their endless supply of xmas beer, and very little for us kids, I make sure my own children beleive as long as possible, and have the magic and excitement of these special times.

I love it, and so have they original.gif I want them to remember these times, and pass it on to their own children. Happy memories of a magical childhood original.gif. My near 21 yr old DS still gets excited at xmas and cant wait until xmas morning, he is like a 4 yr old lol. Its great!

Edited by Icehouse, 08 April 2012 - 12:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.