Dad duty whilst Mum's away
Curious - what age was your child?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Studybug

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

HI there

My brother's engagement party is coming up next month and it's a child-free event.

We've been discussing what to do with DS (2yrs 2mths old) for the night.  They live (and the party is) 10 hours away so everyone we know in that area is family and attending.  They sent a flyer for a nannying service but we can't really afford the cost and DS probably wouldn't deal well with being put to bed by a stranger therefore we wouldn't deal well with it either...  So one of my sisters who has recently moved near us, and isn't going for a good reason, has offered to look after DS for the weekend whilst we attend which is a lovely offer.  Another option would be for DH and DS to stay home whilst only I attend, and I just realised that DH and DS have not yet had a night at home without me.  It's been just DS and I for up to a week at a time on several occasions but never those two whilst I go away or such.

So, just curious, when was the first time you went away and the kiddies stayed with their dad?  Is it unusual that DS is 2 and this hasn't happened in our family yet?

Cheers!

#2 RedBob

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

DD was 2.5 when I had to go into hospital unexpectedly with a perforated appendix. DH had to look after her for 3 days that week and another 3 the week after following complications.

#3 liveworkplay

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hmmm, I think it was when my 3 were 7, 5 and 2. I cannot think of a time when I have left them alone with DH except that time. I was away 4 days.

#4 Mamabug

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

DH has had sole care for our kids for one or two nights at various ages, the youngest being seven months (one night, expressed EBM). Hasn't had all four yet - strangely it is harder for me to escape the more kids we have!!!

I don't think it strange, unless it has been a deliberate choice on your behalf to not leave DH and DS overnight.

#5 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

DH took care if DS in his own from the first week. I went to a week long conference when he was 7 months and DH had him for the whole week.

Amongst my female friends with kids, all work and have to travel for work, and so dads have bubs overnight from whenever mat leave ends (anywhere from 3-12 months), and dads also do 50/50 of other care (childcare drop off/pick up, dinner, baths, weekend activities etc).

#6 janbabe

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 07/04/2012, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I left my kids alone with my man since birth. I trust him. He knows what he's doing. He is their parent, after all. This is, of course, working around any breast feeding needs

Same here.

#7 LynnyP

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

No, not really strange.  I tend not to leave my children at night until they are 2.5ish.  Since I went back to work we take some of our holidays apart so take our daughter away by ourselves for a week or so at a time during the year.  Last June my husband took two six year olds away camping for a week by himself.

#8 ReadySetRace

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Just 6 months ago i had a weekend away with my mother's group. DD1 was 4 and DD2 was 2.  Oh and when I had DD2 in hospital, DD1 was 20 months.

#9 Pocahontas

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Overnight ... with DS1 he was about 18 months, with DS2 I can't remember but probabbly a similar age.  It's about that age when both times I really felt some alone time and the opportunity arose.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

My DH took full care of our children when I went into hospital to have a new baby so the first one was just over one year.
When I had # 4 he had a 1, 2 and 3 year old and did a really amazing job. I was never worried about them being in his care original.gif

#11 Sambambino

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

My husband has looked after DD on his own for a couple of hours from when she was 1st home from hospital. He fist did a weekend when she was 14 months. With DS his first alone overnighters were a bit later - about 18 months(he is still breastfed now at 21 months). Besides breastfeeding DH is capable of doing everything I am in regards to caring for the children.

#12 ubermum

Dh has looked after the kids on his own since they were born. When my youngest was 2 I went interstate for a week leaving them with dh. Before that, I left my eldest with my sister for five days when our second was born.

#13 Banana Pancakes

My youngest was at least 2.5 years. I would of happily left them earlier if the opportunity had arisen.

#14 Snuffster

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

DD has been left with DH during the day since she was born. I went away with a girlfriend interstate for 3 nights when she was 7 months old.
DH is a very hands on parent, he usually baths her and often puts her to bed, so it was no big deal.

Edited by Snuffster, 07 April 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#15 lozoodle

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Just go, the father is there, why get a babysitter!?

I went away for three nights about a year ago to visit a friend. DD1 was 2y and DD2 was 4 months old.

It was a much needed break for me (mmm sleep ins and lazy days!) and DP absolutely loved his time with the girls. He just cook a couple of days of annual leave and it was no problem.

Did all of us the world of good.

Have more faith in your DH, they aren't idiots, they know how to look after a kid. Especially a 2 year old!

#16 Kim

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Ds1 was around 14 mths I guess.  

I made the choice to be close to my children for that first year because I was breastfeeding and couldn't be bothered with expressing and bottles.

They were all drinking milk from a cup by 12 mths though so then i was happy to leave them...  And did.

Ds1 was 19 mths when ds2 was born, so of course dh was home alone with ds1.

Then with dd, she was 8mths when I had a seizure and was hospitalized for 4 nights, dh did a stellar job going solo, even bought dd into the hospital 4 hrly so I could breastfeed her.

Back to you though, I think it's weird that your dh has never parented his own child solo...

#17 sharkie81

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

DH has looked after DS on his own since birth. He was a SATD between 7mths- 13mths of age while I worked. I was going out to dinner's with my girlfriends (unfortunately infrequently) from about 13mths of age, and DH would put DS to bed.

Enjoy yourself!

#18 podg

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

DH has only ever done duty by himself when I'm in hospital having babies - but he knows his girls (4,2 and 1) well, cooks and feeds them beautifully and does bedtime most nights. Bedtime is something he takes a pride in.

Could your sister maybe come over a few times and do parts of DS's bedtime routine for you, as practice runs (and a novelty for DS) with no pressure?

Is now perhaps a good time for your boy's Daddy to do some bedtimes with him? My kids love their story time with their Dad.

#19 liveworkplay

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

I left my kids alone with my man since birth. I trust him. He knows what he's doing. He is their parent, after all. This is, of course, working around any breast feeding needs

So have I, just not overnight. Not through any trust issue, just the circumstance never arose.

I have BF my kids to 2+yrs, so they really haven't been left with anyone for nay length of time. When I left DD3 last year, she was still BF but in the process of weening herself so it was all good.

#20 Majeix

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I don't think its odd really leave my kids overnight until their around two and a half admitedly with the second she was a little younger than two and a half. After two-two and a half I would leave them with their dad overnight but probably not anyone else for a bit longer. It's not that I have no faith in DH and his ability to parent and I leave them during the day and go out in the evenings and he puts them to bed on a regular basis. It's just well I dunno I guess I believe in the primary care giver being around. If I worked or something it would be different. Oh and when they are everntually left they are fine. dd1 is an independent little thing so I don't see how being around does them any harm any more then leaving them probably does.

At two and a bit for something I really wanted to I woudl have reservation but go and leave them with their Dad unless I thought they would be upest/had a reason not too. ( I did for something similar when my dd2 was slightly older and although I was worried (not about the care) she was fine)

Edited by Majeix, 07 April 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#21 Balto1

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

DH has done one full night solo (DS was five months) and two part nights where I had an evening function and was home late. He cares for DS solely every Saturday morning and does bath and bedtime three nights a week.

Once DS is weaned, I will happily do two to three nights away while DH flies solo.

DH and DS love their one on one time together and I love that they love it.

#22 Studybug

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the replies!  It's always interesting to hear how other families operate.  And how embarassing, I didn't even think of instances of birthing second (or third or fourth wink.gif ) children!  Geez, I revealed my amateurness didn't I lol.

HI Mamabug, I agree it would be strange if it was a deliberate choice also wink.gif .  DH goes away for work so that's why I've had weeks of solo nights, but it's never been the other way round as I guess the only time I'd planned to go away alone before this, the other people pulled out and then other times both of us were invited.

HI Kim, DH parents solo all the time.  I used to volunteer at a women's service before DS was born and continued with it until we moved interstate.  So from when DS was 1mth old when I was at work once a week, DH was at home.  Also, I study so most weekends I'm at uni and DS and DH are doing their thing together. It's just never been an overnight thing, and I guess I started this thread as I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet too huh.gif .

Hi lozoodle, I'm sure DH knows exactly what he's doing as he's been doing the dirty work of parenting for as long as I have wink.gif . the babysitter wasn't because I don't think DH could handle it - that would be really off of me!  It's just both DH and I are invited and we were thinking of all the options so both of us could attend.  DH has been a part of my family for quite a few years now, so it's a given that both of us are welcome and wanted at events. That's all original.gif .

Thanks heaps.

Edited by Studybug, 07 April 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#23 Studybug

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

I guess it also comes down to whether or not DH wants to come to the engagement party.  I would be more comfortable being 10 hours away for 2 days knowing that DH and DS were together as that means that DS would be happy and we wouldn't have to wondering if DS was settling at night for my sister.  In saying that, I know my sister and she would have DS in the room with her at night without a second's thought and would be totally cool with the spectrum of two yr old fun.  And it would be fun to have a night out with DH and then maybe we could both get one of those sleep ins lozoodle mentioned...  I should probably be sitting in the lounge room asking DH what he wants to do biggrin.gif

#24 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

DD1 was about 5 months when I went back to work overnights so he had her from about then twice a week. It has happened at various times since then, most recently he took them camping alone for a week and had them for the weekend about a month ago while I went away.

#25 namie

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ 07/04/2012, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's weird that your dh has never parented his own child solo...

The OP never said her DP hadn't ever parented his child on his own. She said he had never been on his own overnight.

I left DP and DS1 alone together for an entire 24 hours when I was pregnant with DS2, so I could attend a concert with my sister. DS1 would have been around 14 months old, I think. If there had been a reason to do so I would've been quite happy to leave them overnight before then, but DS1 had only just weaned from breastfeeding and I couldn't express milk to leave for him. Plus, there was no reason for me to leave (ie. no where I needed or wanted to go on my own for an overnight stay).

DP then looked after DS1 for 4 nights, when he was 17 months old, while I was in hospital with DS2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.