Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

I have been looking at prams and there are a few that I have really liked:
- iCandy Peach
- Stokke
- Bugaboo camleon
- Mountain buggy swift
- Quinny

I want a pram that will be easy to fold and put away in the car, easy to push for long exercise walks, easy to manouvre in shopping centres and on public transport, not too heavy.

Can anyone offer some reviews of these prams?

Thanks

#2 TiredbutHappy

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I have the Bugaboo Cameleon. Definately not easy to fold (2 pieces) and put in the car, and is a pain on public transport, so much so that I ended up buying the Bugaboo Bee for mum to use when she needed to take DD on a bus. Otherwise it's fabulous to steer, both indoors and out, I still love it and will use it with the next baby, but you definately need a car with a big boot.

#3 CarrieS

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi,

I highly recommend the Baby City Jogger brand of prams.

I have the Baby City Jogger Elite which is a 3 wheeler and very sturdy.  It has lots of ventilation, a massive hood to cover baby, full reclining seat, lots of places to pop your purse, mobile, water etc when out walking.  The tyres are foam filled which means they cannot puncture.  This feature was attractive to me as I live in an area with no footpaths so I am often walking on grass, gravel or the road.  It is the easiest pram on the market to fold as it has a one hand folding mechanism.  No need to remove tyres or pull pram apart.  Fantastic!

The downside is it is quite wide (65cms wheel base) which means there are plenty of cafes and shops you will not be able to go in to.  May also be chunky for a bus or tram.

I am looking into a different stroller now, one that I would use soley for going shopping at a shopping centre (so just a cheapy). I take my BCJ Elite into my local Woolies and it is fine.  I absolutley love it though when I am out exercising with my babe.

Looking at your requirements, I would consider the BCJ Mini if you were after a 3 wheeler. If I lived somewhere with footpaths I would have got this one as it is abit smaller but with all of the same features.

Good luck!

#4 BabeBlossom

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I have the Baby Jogger City Mini and love it, there is no isle or checkout too narrow for me to fit through!
It folds with one hand, when DD was a newborn I would have pram packed, baby in car seat and be driving away by the time friends were still putting the 2 pieces of their pram in the car.
I used a Valco Cacoon to keep baby snug and flat as a new born but I know plenty of people just use the seat as is.
Only thing with the City Mini is it doesn't have the big tyres for jogging, its perfect on the walking paths around my house and up and down gutters but might be a bit rough if your constantly over gravel or rocky paths.

#5 Charli73

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

I have a friend with a stokke and she cant walk it on any gravel paths as it has no suspension and it just shakes and vibrates if you know what I mean, so she can only take it on footpaths.. the wheels on it arent exactly made for anything but flat surfaces..

I have a baby jogger city select which is great but not on your list and prob a bit big for your needs, best of luck!

#6 Rosepickles

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have the miuntain buggy swift and i love it. Easy to fold and steer and not too heavy. I go on long walks and it is great on rocky surfaces.
The downside is that you cant have the bub facing you unless u have the capsule adjustment, but i think thats the same with most 3 wheelers. I dont use public transport so cant comment really. If i was going to use public transport a lot tho i would prob grt something smaller and lighter.
My friends who have one love it too and one who doesnt said she would buy one for her third bub.
Good luck deciding

#7 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have the mountain buggy swift and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a piece of cake to fold, I think it weighs 9.5kgs (though it's a bit long when folded). I use it everyday in my hilly suburb and I can push it one handed on dirt tracks. Last week I actually took it on the bus for the first time and while it's a little long, it fits down the bus aisles fine. I bought the bassinet because I wanted DS to face me, but you don't need to if you don't want to. The only problem I've had is tyre punctures but nothing that a bicycle repair kit wont fix. To stop punctures, DH took the tyres off and put in a special lining he bought from a bike shop. Also, the basket isn't that big if you plan on putting lots of things in it.

#8 aquarius9

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies.

Re: bugaboo cameleon - Yes I thought it was difficult to fold quickly and easily in the store and the 2 pieces makes it more cumbersome.

Re: baby city jogger - I haven't seen one yet - so will need to check it out - sounds good.

Re: Mountain buggy swift - i did think having the baby face you would be important at the beginning - but this is probably solved with the bassinet? Also I have heard that tyre punctures can be a problem. I did like that it was light and seemed to fold easily.

Re: Stokke - interesting that it doesn't do well on uneven surfaces - I hadn't noticed that in the store obviously. It seemed also a bit cumbersome to fold.

Has anyone tried the Quinny or the Icandy peach?

Thanks again for the reviews

#9 aquarius9

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Also, has anyone got any thoughts about the quality of the prams made in china vs those made in Europe such as the Peg-Perego, Stokke?

#10 PreachersWife

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

My recommendation would be to look at getting TWO prams. I don't know of any prams that fit all your requirements. I have a Bugaboo bee which is light, easy to fold and maneuvers beautifully at the shops/small spots. I also have a Baby Jogger City Elite which I use for long walks. It has suspension, forever air tires (no punctures, no pumping) excellent sun shade and seat big enough for my four year old. It's wider wheel base makes it more stable for uneven ground. It has a neat fold and even better if you pop the wheels off, which means it will fit in the footwell of the back seat of the car. But I wouldn't take it on public transport etc.

That's my opinion after two kids and ten prams!

#11 *mylittleprince*

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

I have the mountain buggy swift and absolutely love it! I've recommended it to several friends who have gone on to buy one. It is perfect for walking - malls, walking paths, even gravel! Very easy to collapse and put into boot, etc. I had DS in it from day one, lying flat and facing away from me. You don't need to have a baby face you. It's not like they are there for hours each day. We had plenty of cuddles while b/f and holding him or wearing him in a sling. They also have good resale value if you want to sell it afterwards.

Good luck with your decision.

ETA:
We used the MBS for about 18 months and then DS decided he didn't like the pram. I had two punctures in that time BUT I used to walk everyday so it's not much.

Edited by *mylittleprince*, 08 April 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#12 BentoBaby

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Love my mountain buggy swift for walking & general everyday use. Easy to fold, very narrow & light for a 3 wheeler, a dream to push, super comfy for bub, love it! I use it daily & have done so for 15 months, no punctures, great on rough terrain.

I ended up buying a second cheap, secondhand maclaren for shops/ in theory public transport (but haven't used). It is considerably lighter than the mountain buggy & good for whipping in & out of the car. It is easy to stear but is no where near as sturdy as my MB. It can't cope on rough or uneven ground & it can't carry much.

Both are great in different ways buy I think a swift wil suit the major requirements

#13 Choufleur

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have a Camelon and I love it, but a few things:
- it takes up most of the boot space of our car (we have a golf)
- it's very heavy if you're carrying it as luggage (14kg I think when I put it under the plane the other day) but you probably wont' do that often.
- it's a bit fiddly to get used to taking apart the first few times.

Having said all that as I said I love it.

It's very tough - I took it interstate with me a couple of weeks ago and it was brilliant. Really good for a bit of "off roading" around botanic gardens, across grass etc etc.

In terms of taking apart etc it's super easy, I can take apart flat pack in only a minute or two.

We're doing a bit of overseas travel in the next 6 months and I'm looking at a Bee. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Good luck!

#14 bean1977

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have a Mountain Buggy Swift and love it.  We only have one car and so in the week I am using trains, trams and buses and it is absolutely fine to take on them.  I had a bassinet but it was only really useful for the first 3 months or so as she was very long.....  My only real complaints are that we have had a few punctures but we could get round that in the ways described above and the basket is a bit small.

We also have a Maclaren Techno XT which we took to the UK and generally use at the weekends when we have the car.  The MB fits in the boot ok but it does completely fill it - we have Ford Focus - which is another reason we use the Maclaren at the weekends.

#15 NoMoreGuilt

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (PreachersWife @ 08/04/2012, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My recommendation would be to look at getting TWO prams. I don't know of any prams that fit all your requirements. I have a Bugaboo bee which is light, easy to fold and maneuvers beautifully at the shops/small spots. I also have a Baby Jogger City Elite which I use for long walks. It has suspension, forever air tires (no punctures, no pumping) excellent sun shade and seat big enough for my four year old. It's wider wheel base makes it more stable for uneven ground. It has a neat fold and even better if you pop the wheels off, which means it will fit in the footwell of the back seat of the car. But I wouldn't take it on public transport etc.

That's my opinion after two kids and ten prams!

I agree. I only have one child but have gone through 4 prams. We still have two, one is for longer outings as it has a recline and my toddler can sleep comfortably in it and has a good sunshade. The second one is the one we use most often, its a lightweight maclaren and is great for tossing in and out of the car.

#16 Diana_Barry

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm going to go against the crowd, but I have been SO DISAPPOINTED with our Mountain Buggy Swift. Bought it about 18 months ago & it is the newer made in China version, not old New Zealand made one with green labels.

When we first got it home, DP blew up the tires, & about 3 hours later there was an almighty booming explosion, which was one of the inner tubes obliterating. Of course, DP hadn't read the instructions which specified the max pressure for the wheels, so that's wasn't the pram's fault. But then, within a week of DS's birth, the wheels were making a terrible clattery noise as they turned, which turned out to be the wheel bearings needing to be replaced. The tech guy at our local baby shop who fixed it said they'd had a heap brought back with the same issue. We then had multiple flat, leaking & punctured tires which has been a massive pain in the backside.

I've never felt like our pram has been nearly as smooth & effortless to push & steer as the one we tried in the shop. It's not that great on gravel & it's not good enough to really power walk or run with (which it's probably not really meant for anyway). The wheels aren't very sturdy & wobble quite a bit from side to side.

I originally wanted a pram where bubs faced me, & was talked out of it, but I really regret not sticking to that. I know DS would be much happier in the pram if he could see me & interact with me while we're walking,& I'd be happier too. I don't think there is a pram on the market that is a perfect all rounder - i.e. Small, lightweight, sturdy, good suspension, great on all surfaces & for exercise, and with a rear-facing option! Having said that, a fairly convincing 'expert' (shop owner) told me that that the Baby Joggers are much better made than the Mountain Buggys, & were bringing out a new model which has a rear facing option. I'd be interested to know if that's true. Also, the Baby Jogger folding mechanism is bloody fantastic!

#17 Wyn99

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Definitely recommend Maclaren. I've taken my Vogue on trams, trains, buses and through the airport (oh and a ferry in Sydney). Very light, easy to fold and sturdy. Doesn't take up much boot space at all. Baby does not face you ( but I never wanted this for my kids, I want them to see the world, not my face when walking) and storage basket is not huge. I like the brand I even bought a Maclaren double when #2 arrived, the seats are slightly narrower but it fits through supermarket aisles easily.

#18 Jess1

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I know that it is not a popular choice but I love my Stokke.  I'm surprised by the PP who said their friend had trouble over uneven surfaces, I push it over rocks and uneven surfaces all the time and I have never had any problems.  

The best part is the height, lightness and manoeuvrability, I have never come across a shop I couldn't get into and around.  My husband and I are both tall so it is perfect for not bending down and it is the easiest thing to change around (FF or RF) and collapse down.

The bad thing is that it does take up a lot of space, it basically fills our station wagon boot.  Also you get stopped every time you go out and often stared at because it does look different.

But for us it is perfect and looks as good as the day we brought it.  Hannah loves it and happily sits up high looking around.

#19 JaPC

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

After much deliberation I brought the baby jogger city mini for DD (now 2) and have been pleased with my choice. I live in an urban area and don't own a car so rely on public transport to get around so I liked that I could hold DD with one hand and fold the stroller and put it in the boot of a taxi with the other. I found it really easy to steer with one hand if DD was fussing and I needed to pick her up, unlike my friend who found the Quinny Buzz more of a challenge to steer one handed. I found the fully reclined position was fine for DD from birth and when she was a bit older and preferred to be facing me I would just attach her carseat which is rear facing. I also liked the fact that there are no puncture issues with this BJ model as tyres are solid, and wheels are sold separately (very handy when airlines return your stroller at baggage collection missing a wheel).  Supermarket aisles and shop layouts where I live are super narrow and not pram friendly at all and I found that I could get this stroller into most stores. Don't know if this will be an issue for you but as this is a 3 wheel stroller you will need to ascend escalators backwards which can take a bit of practice. Hope this helps you with your decision.

#20 aquarius9

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Great reviews - thanks everyone.

Has anyone tried the Icandy prams?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.