When did you stop using high chairs?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mariamsmum

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

We have the ikea antilop high chairs but my boys at 16 months barely sit in them and when they do, they try and stand up in them. We have a little wooden table and chairs set and have been using those for meals in the last week but it is a bit hard going getting them to stay still.
I am too scared to actually sell the high chairs as I remember DS1 was in one till over 2years old.
How old were your children when you stopped using high chairs?

#2 mygorgeousboy

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

With DS1 we stopped at about 2 but with DS2 he wants to be just like his big brother so we packed the high chair away when he was 17mths old. He sits at the table with us on a booster. original.gif

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Not until they could sit still on a chair at the family meal table for the entire meal time.
Meal times were drama enough without having to chase children down. original.gif
Definitely not at 16 months, more likely to have been well over 2 to 3.

#4 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Edited by humphreymum, 09 April 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#5 4boys4me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Not until they could sit still on a chair at the family meal table for the entire meal time.
Meal times were drama enough without having to chase children down.  

I agree. Mine were well over 3 before they stopped using them. My highchair also has an adjustable harness so there was no escaping.  laughing2.gif

#6 Jekaho

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

We were still using the highchair til almost three years old at home. When out, he was either just on a normal chair or a booster seat. But we used the high chair to keep him at the table. IKEA one.
Now he is fine in a normal chair at the table, and stays put.

#7 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

About 2.5 we stopped using it regularly.
DS did sit in it the other day though to copy his baby sister.

He usually sits at the dining table with us or at his little table and chairs.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

When they were old enough to sit sensibly, we moved to a wooden high chair with no strap.  DS1 used it until he was too tall to get his knees under the table.  DS2 stopped using his shortly after because he wanted to be the same, and DD is still in it at 2y8m.

We also use the small table and chairs, but when we first started, I would sit there with them for the entire meal to make sure they sat properly.

R

#9 Ianthe

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 07/04/2012, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meal times were drama enough without having to chase children down. original.gif

Same here.

#10 poss71

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

A lot sooner with DD1 than DD2, because she had her big sister as an example of how to sit nicely at the table.

Also, both girls were at childcare 3 days a week, and sat at a table for lunch there from about 11months old. So I guess someone else trained them lol.

#11 MUMxTHREE

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

We have one that can be height adjustable. DS2 is 3 and uses his all the time instead of a kitchen chair. We don't have the front on it he just uses the table.

#12 Beltie

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

DD2 stopped using hers before she was 12 months. She would thrash about in it and was a danger to all. It was much safer to have her at the children's table with DD1. Her behaviour was much better too.

#13 squirt081

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

DD stopped using her high chair at 19mths but we bought her a booster so she is high enough for the table. She is now 2.5yrs and we will no longer use that when she wants to be a big girl.

#14 JupitersMoon

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

We are still using it at 22 months except for dinner - she sits at herown little table. She will sit still and eat as long as I sit with her.  For some reason she just screams her head off if we try to u highchair at dinnertime!

#15 JuniorGandR

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

DD refused her high chair at 16 months, thrashed around, would not eat. So we tried a booster seat, and it worked. She also eats happily at her little table and chairs. As a PP said, that is what they do at daycare, and she goes 3 days a week so she has probably learned that there. That is probably why she refused the high chair - she'd just graduated to the bigger room so didn't want to be a baby anymore.

#16 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

We've been using a booster at the table since 10 months. We keep the high chair  the times there us no room at the table (dh playing games with his friends on it)

#17 Chelara

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Dd is nearly 3 and still uses her ikea antilop for every meal, with the tray it also helps contain the mess.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

You can see be the answers OP that there really is no answer. original.gif
I just worked on the theory that I didn't want to make more work for myself and if they were going to try and escape from the table then they stayed in their highchair.
I worked on the same theory for the cot to bed transition.
I had 3 cots going at one stage. original.gif

#19 blissfulqueenb

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

We have the Stokke style ones (not a genuine Stokke) and I have just sold the one that my 7.5 year old daughter was still sitting in until a week ago.  I read about the importance of feet being flat and supported whilst eating, so I bought 3 of them for my kids when they were 1,3 and 5. Only now when my 7year olds feet can touch the floor have we gotten rid of it (she still fitted). No tray or anything of course by this stage.

I've loved them because at least if the kids do climb on them (which they do) they are very secure and don't tip.  You can push them in hard up to the table and they can't push them backwards to escape!  Just be careful with some of the dodgy cheap copies that don't have long enough legs at the back and can topple.  original.gif

#20 Chelara

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

[quote name='blissfulqueenb' date='07/04/2012, 02:39 PM' post='14467147'

Just be careful with some of the dodgy cheap copies that don't have long enough legs at the back and can topple.  original.gif
[/quote]

Yeah the Stokke tripp trapp is one of the worst offenders! wink.gif

#21 jcbenny

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

2.5yo dd enjoys being a big girl at the table. Doesn't want to sit in her high chair any longer...

#22 blissfulqueenb

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

As mentioned, we don't have a Stokke (for this reason) however if you do, Stokke provided free stabilisers to those who want them.

#23 KristyMum-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

about 18mths, probably earlier for #5.

He was sitting up at the breakfast bar with the big kids (chairs have backs on them, between two bigger kids he was) and he could climb before 12mths so instead of removing every chair from the house we taught him to do it safely and supervised.

That said I know someone who's 3.5y/o still sits in the highchair
and people who's kids still have day sleeps lol

Edited by KristyMum-, 07 April 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#24 -*meh*-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

we used a booster seat at the table by the time both of my kids were about 12-18mths... old enough to sit still at the table without needing a harness.

we had the solid plastic type ones that you attach to the chair with straps with clips though, they only really came with a 3 point harness which was pointless.

#25 Mariamsmum

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thanks everyone, I also think its because they started daycare and sit at a table with the other kids. I will persevere with the table and chairs and see if they improve :-)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.