*fluff* Cleaning the Man Cave.
Did I overstep the mark? UPDATE pg 2

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LittleListen

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

DH is an avid Warhammer and computer enthusiast. He has an entire bedroom (our only other bedroom) dedicated to his Man Cave. I only use the computer and the filing cabinet in that room, so the deal is that he has to clean the room and keep it organised.

While he is asleep this morning, I have been looking madly for a cable for my camera to upload some photos. Down on my hands and knees among the dust and broken bits of army men on the floor, I got jack of the mess and have spent under an hour reorginising, packing models into containers and vacuuming ogre heads off the floor.

It looks a million bucks, but he will have no idea where his things are for a while.  tongue.gif

So... did I overstep? Is the Man Cave a sacred space that escape cleaning?

P.s I still haven't found the cable  rant.gif

Edited by eyesabove, 07 April 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#2 Oriental lily

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

We have a similar set up.

DH is a Retro video game collector and the back room is his domain.

He mainly sleeps in there as well due to both our snoring problem.

No way in hell would I start to re organize it lol.

He does keep it pretty tidy though. Actually is probably one of the most organized rooms in the house due to it all being securely packed away and the shelves up high so no kiddy hands can reach. Some of his collection is worth some money.
His bed linen and clothes are often scattered everywhere though.

It's his job to do that.

Op if it is HIS domain then he has the right for it to be messy or clean.

Your not his mum to re organize things.

#3 Cat People

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Phew.  A man cave is not what I thought it was.

#4 LittleListen

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I did have a sudden flashback to stories he tells of his mum cleaning his room while he was at school.... oops!!

QUOTE (MadameCatty @ 07/04/2012, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phew.  A man cave is not what I thought it was.

roll2.gif  Nice one MC original.gif

#5 Heffalump

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

If this really is his mancave, then you might want to consider a visit to a place far far away for the day...or week...or month.

I know how I'd react if anybody nosed about in my study (equivalent to a guy's mancave) or  ffear.gif ohmy.gif  if they decided to 'tidy' it up.

ETA:

Make him breakfast in bed. tongue.gif

Edited by Heffalump, 07 April 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#6 LittleListen

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Good idea Heffalump - I'll get cracking on some toast.

I just realised how annoyed with him I'd be if he touched my sewing stuff....

I think I'll give my nan a call and head up for a visit...!

Edited by eyesabove, 07 April 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Well I get disconcerted if DP goes into my workshop, I get huffy if he touches stuff, I get stabby if he uses things - but if he went in there - shifted stuff around... vacuumed stuff up and THREW IT AWAY!!!?????

I would be incandescent with furious rage. And I am a mild, sweet natured little thing!

Good luck OP - I think you might need it!

#8 morgansacre

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

My DH's man cave is his garage, 20 x 30ft. I so want to go in there and start cleaning it out. He has old empty boxes, bits and pieces of wire, in other words just crap, dust, mouse droppings and more crap. Its been like that since he had the garage built about 2 years ago.....

I would kill him if he entered my study and tidied up, so I wont touch his garbage.....but oh I would love to Tounge1.gif

Lynn

#9 LambChop

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I wouldn't do it, and would feel invaded if you had done that to me.

Asking for it to be cleaned up however, would be reasonable.

#10 Baggy

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I think you should have just asked him when he woke up where your camera cable is, and if he could clean up his man cave.

#11 EssentialBludger

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I got sick of DP's man caves (yes, TWO!) about 3 months after I moved in. One was a very open space, so I would always clean it. He was get sh*tty that he couldn't then find anything, but IMO, I had to walk past multiple times a day, and so did visitors, so it wasn't fair to me that it was an absolute tip. His other man cave was the biggest room in the house (besides the master) while DS was living in the tiny study for a bedroom.

A year ago, I told him to either build a shed, or I was moving out. blush.gif So he did. He built a massive 6x6 shed and that is now his beloved man cave and I don't dare even go in there, let alone tidy it. Tounge1.gif

I converted his old man caves into a library/comfy lounge and the other into DS new room.

We all live in harmony now. biggrin.gif

#12 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

DH's mancave is a cesspit of crap. It's odd really as he cleans the rest of the house but avoids cleaning his own space. Every now and then I venture in and do a thorough clean and he really loves it. Wouldn't dare throw stuff out though and my version of putting stuff away is always a bit too organised for him.

#13 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

DH and I are both horribly untidy. He has his model making area, which is a cluttered mess, and I have my sewing area which is a cluttered mess. Both of us would be furious if anyone else touched it.

#14 LittleListen

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

UPDATE**

The beast wakes and I soften him up with a hug and "You might be upset with me when you see what I did this morning..."  He shuffled out of bed quick smart muttering about me ruining his life  rolleyes.gif

Shocked and amazed and very happy with my progress so far (although objected to the smell of the cleaning products - "Too fresh"  ddoh.gif )

Has now rushed out to the storage place to buy himself more containers to make the room even more usable...

Who knew?

But really, I wouldn't do it again... the fact I let him sleep in saved me - it could have gone either way!

#15 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Gosh DH doesnt have a mancave (although he wishes he did) and as such, he has his computer stuff out in the open, in our dining area (sigh - am seriously considering sacrificing my largely unused massage room for his "mancave") If I so much as go through the drawers to try to find a cable, he gets shirty about me "moving his stuff and now he cant find anything", so I darent try to clean up the area... He would be aghast if I cleaned up.

Glad to hear your DH was appreciative... apart from the freshness LOL.

#16 Feral Alpacas

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I think if you have/need access to stuff in there, and he agrees to it, not a true mancave, it's a shared space and he has to put up or clean up. DH has a mancave- his study- and the shed. I never use the study, but with the shed I sometimes need access to tools and such. If I could do the lifting myself I'd clean it up and tough luck to him!

#17 Indigocrocodile

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Has he realised you vacuumed his ogre heads? My husband is also a warhammer enthusiast and would be furious if I vacuumed models. I think you should own up to the ogre heads while they can still be retrieved from the vacuum bag otherwise you'll probably have an expensive trip to Games Workshop in the near future and a very cranky husband.

#18 KristyMum-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

seconding Indigocrocodile - best retrieve the ogre heads methinks!

I don't think the 'shed with stuff chucked in it' qualifies as a man cave because really, no one can actually do anything in there other than find a spot on the floor to stand, shake their head and go 'man this needs sorting out' and then leave again... as in, even DH barely does anything in there.

#19 jenchristo

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

I just asked DH what he'd do if I cleaned out his shed. "Great! When are you starting?"

#20 LittleListen

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Oh I'm almost positive that they were old ogre heads... with a collection insured for well over $10000 I'm banking on the fact he won't notice they were gone....hehehehe

jenchristo - perhaps there is a business opportunity for man-cave cleaning here... original.gif

#21 Feralishous

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (jenchristo @ 07/04/2012, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just asked DH what he'd do if I cleaned out his shed. "Great! When are you starting?"

DH said the same until he realised that I meant 'him do the work and ill direct where it goes'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.