farting DH - really smelly

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ms flib

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

My DH has always had flatulence and he hates it if I complain. He's really bad at the moment but just won't even try to do anything about it. Even the kids have been complaining.

Any ideas?

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Does he have any food intolerances eg dairy, gluten? I have intolerances and those farts could be classed as biological warfare or at least a toxic substance.

Does he eat a lot of onion/cabbage/other stinky vegies? Reduce them if necessary.

Does he have healthy regular bowel movements, or could he be constipated, meaning the food is staying in his gut for longer and getting smellier? If he is constipated get him to increase his fluids, fibre and exercise to get things moving and hopefully smelling better.

What about charcoal tablets? I think that they help to reduce the smell.

I think that beer can also make some people quite smelly.

Otherwise, get him to go outside or at least into a different room if he feels the fart coming so at least you don't have to suffer as much of the smell. I say this as the younger sister of two older brothers and a father who could fart and burp like champions.

#3 Roselet

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

What has changed recently to make it worse than usual? Is he the kind of person you can get to see a doctor as it could be a symptom of actual ill health. Would you be able to ask about whether there have been any issues with bowel habits etc, (or have you noticed any such evidence - no man I know is any good at cleaning the bowl when they've made a mess so it's always evident when there is a gastro problem).
TBH, there isn't a great deal one can do about bad wind - I have asked doctors for remedies as I have a bit of a problem with it due to a chronic bowel disease and the best I've ever been offered is to take charcoal tablets (not suitable long term as they absorb nutrients from your food and prevent the body taking them up properly), or peppermint tablets (not sure how effective they are or if tehy just mask the smell), nothing that actually gets rid of the gas. There are underpants with charcoal filters but I don't like the idea of them, and if he is in denial I don't like your chances of getting him to use them. I find my wind is worse before a bowel motion, so making sure there is enough fibre in his diet should help make that more frequent, thus improving the wind. I swear by benefibre - easy and unnoticeable in the first coffee of the day. (One mum I know sneaks it into her son's juice and he is none the wiser.)
Other options to manage the smell. A flame will burn the smelly gas, so if you like candles, and there aren't kids young enough to be at risk of burns then you can have a candle in whichever room he tends to let them off. Or train him to light a match after using the loo for example. My DH is quite considerate about leaving the room to pass wind normally, so it isn't so in your face, when I'm having a particularly bad day I'll find lots of excuses to go outside and try to get rid of them while i'm in the open.
Hope this is of some use.

#4 Paddlepop

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

I just had another thought: is your DH eating any low sugar/no sugar products like weight loss bars or chewing gum? Most of them will contain alcohol sugars like mannitol, xylitol, sorbitol etc and they can cause upset tummies. I think that chewing gum has a warning about excessive consumption may have a laxative effect. Some medications and tablets also contain these, like chewable antacids. I think that nicotine replacement gums and tablets contain them too. Might be worth checking some labels, then avoiding those products for a few days and seeing if the smell improves.

#5 FeralDancesHere

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Paddlepop @ 07/04/2012, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just had another thought: is your DH eating any low sugar/no sugar products like weight loss bars or chewing gum? Most of them will contain alcohol sugars like mannitol, xylitol, sorbitol etc and they can cause upset tummies. I think that chewing gum has a warning about excessive consumption may have a laxative effect. Some medications and tablets also contain these, like chewable antacids. I think that nicotine replacement gums and tablets contain them too. Might be worth checking some labels, then avoiding those products for a few days and seeing if the smell improves.

I second this. I am sensitive to alcohol sugars and have had to switch to a natural toothpaste as even the amount I absorbed brushing my teeth my enough to give me (way tmi) major gas issues, and a single piece of gum or a mint will have me in pain and diareah (sp?)

#6 Bart.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

He could also be eating too much meat.  Eating red meat more than three times a week has been proven to increase your chances of bowel cancer dramatically and fish shown to decrease your chances [1].  Try for at least three vegetarian dinners each week and where possible, throw in some psyllium husks, chia, flaxseed (which have little flavour) to add lots of natural fibre.  Quinoa and polenta all make great, filling meals and are really good for you.

Personally, I go atomic if I eat more than a small serving of red meat and avoid it if possible!

[1] http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/...on-cancer.shtml

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

I've had my gallbladder removed and my farts are utterly repellent and frequent!

It is something to do with missing that digestive assistance that the bile your GB produced.

Anyway - there is nothing I can do about it, and when DP carries on (even if he is 'semi joking') it makes me feel totally disgusting and utterly repulsive.

Can you raise the issue with your husband without making him feel like the 'disgusting smells like poo man'?

As in address the issue because you are worried about HIS health, not carry on that YOU don't like it.

I imagine you will get a less defensive response.

#8 Roselet

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Totally agree with Country Mel. It's embarassing when you know you smell and can literally not do anything to prevent it. When your most loved one is rude about it it makes you feel like poo. So whatever you end up doing about it, please be gentle to him.

#9 ms flib

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

I tend not to say anything but I can't stop the kids. I am not being mean to him.

We do not eat meat nor do we eat too many fart producing legumes. He drinks soy instead of dairy. He's very fit and at a good weight for his size and is not using any low sugar foods.

I suggested he try some probiotics - we have some in the fridge. He probably needs to drink more water.

The main issue is that he's a bloke - and a very nice and fine one - but he's not proactive with his health like I am.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#10 CheriDeMomie

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Try removing gluten, wheat and yeast - you can buy bread that doesn't have these things in it.

Oh and balance out the protein, so not too much red meat but rather more balance.

Edited by CheriDeMomie, 07 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#11 Jenferal

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

My husband used to STINK too, then he got his appendix out and the difference is amazing.

#12 missy78

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Charcoal tablets! Works for my previously smelly Dad. Some relief for you while you figure out the cause(s)

#13 twinboys

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

Can you not ask him to leave the room before he farts???

We make our kids go outside/to the toilet/to another room if they are going to fart (One does...The other one tends to 'forget')

My DH has rarely farted in front of me - he has had the odd one slip out and he always apologises and gets embarressed!

#14 Done

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

avoid products with sulphides in (preservative 221,223,226 etc)

they are in a lot of things like sausages, hams, biscuits, cordial, ice blocks, beer, wine etc

#15 Excentrique Feral

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Gluten, my DH recently removed it from his diet, the difference is amazing!

#16 whydoibother

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

soy milk will do it makes my sons poo quite smelly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.