any orthodox religion people about?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Keeping this brief:

Dp is greek orthodox, dd is getting christenined greek orthodox

Godparents are macedonian orthodox(my sis and her hubby)
just got back from the greek orthodox church with the priest saying that we cant use our chosen godparents because the church doesnt recognize people of macedonian orthodox.

And i just finalised the invitations that werent cheap rant.gif

Anyone heard of this before, im not orthodox but i thought that they were pretty much the same (apart from the obvious) because they are both orthodox.

i dont know what  to do

ETA. this should be in venting

#2 miriams

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

That's ridiculous. The godparents absolutely do not have to be from the same church. Preferably they are supposed to be Christian however.

#3 JustBeige

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Is he a family priest?  If so maybe someone in DP's family can intervene, or they can go higher than him to get advice.

If its just the local parish then maybe you can ring around a couple of other churches and see what they say.

Normally I agree with Miriams, but I think Orthodox are pretty set in their ways and not very welcoming of other religions etc, especially when you are talking about their 'spiritual guides' ie: godparents.  (thats my limited experience anyway)

#4 Brownie22

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Unfortunately that's pretty standard in Greek Orthodox and I don't think you'll be able to get around it. It is what PP said about the role of the godparent to play a role in the child's religious upbringing even though that rarely happens these days.

Edited by Brownie22, 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#5 annodam

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (miriams @ 05/04/2012, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's ridiculous. The godparents absolutely do not have to be from the same church. Preferably they are supposed to be Christian however.

No, it is NOT ridiculous & I find offence to that!
Greek Orthodox religion specifically stipulates the Godparents MUST be Greek Orthodox.

Sorry, OP what the Priest told you is correct, you should've asked him first.
The person who bapitises the child ie., puts the oil on the baby HAS to be Greek Orthodox.
Baptising in the Greek Orthodox faith is MORE important than birthdays & marriage even.

#6 Jenmummy

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

The Greek Orthodox Church generally doesn't recognise the Macedonian Orthodox because of the name "Macedonian." It's kind of hard going into anymore detail without offending either Greeks or Macedonians - they have very disparate views.

Godparents have to be Greek orthodox.

Edited by Jenmummy, 05 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#7 !momo!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I was christened Greek orthodox ( not really practising) DH and I got married in a Greek orthodox church he was baptized in the uniting church. We were told when it came to christening kids the god parent has to be Greek orthodox. So whilst they will marry you in the church as long as you belong to a religion baptized in the holy trinity in terms of christening children I think they are stricter as the god parent is supposed to raise the child in the faith. You could try contacting the archdioses in your state they should be able to clarify.

#8 MrsNorthman

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

yeah godparents have to be Greek orthodox, as far as I know its always been this way.  DP really should have filled you in on this but I'm surprised you didn't have a meeting with the Priest first?

#9 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

does anybody know ANY other options??

Our godparents will be staying the same, i dont see the point of getting greek orthodox god parents that just because of their religion and feel as though we and dd have less of a connection to than the godparents we cant have and know for sure that they will be better role models etc..

this sucks!!

#10 annodam

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

I don't blame the partner for not knowing, there's a lot of stuff in the Greek Orthodox religion that I don't know & I'm pretty strict with following religion.
If in doubt, I ask my mum, she knows everything!
I'm shocked your MIL didn't tell you, or an aunt.
If the need arises again, ask an old Greek lady, she'll tell you.

Remember just before 40 days (after the Christening) is up, to return the candle back to the Church.

ETA:  Just saw your post, no options unfortunately.

Edited by annodam, 05 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#11 JustBeige

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (MO3G @ 05/04/2012, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does anybody know ANY other options??

Our godparents will be staying the same, i dont see the point of getting greek orthodox god parents that just because of their religion and feel as though we and dd have less of a connection to than the godparents we cant have and know for sure that they will be better role models etc..

this sucks!!

decide what you want the most.

A greek orthodox christening or the godparents.

If you want the christening then you need to choose another set of godparents - do you/DH have any siblings that can stand in?

If you want the godparents then get the child christened in another church or get a celebrant to do a naming service.

actually, why dont you do both.  Get the understanding sibs to stand in for the orthodox one and that stops the family having 10 canary fits, then do a smaller/private (no excess relos so there wont be any swooning or muttering in greek about how the world will end)  naming ceremony with the 'true' godparents.

This way it kinda keeps everyone happy and meets the family expectations.

Honestly though, it depends on how you are going to raise your children.  If you are going to raise  and educate (religion wise) them strict greek orthodox then you have no choice but to dump the friends and if you are going to do that, then I probably wouldnt worry about the civil naming service.

Good luck with your choices.

Edited by JustBeige, 05 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#12 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

my only sis is the godparent along with her hubby who is macedonian. DP is an only child.
So what does a naming day involve??

#13 Ninja Lemur

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

an you goto the Macedonian Church instead?  Or would brains explode at that idea.

I thought the other different was language but obviously there is a political element at play as well?

So apart from Russian and Anglo othodox what are branhes of the churh are there?

#14 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Funnily enough that is what MIL said today when i asked her but she had no idea that they dont recognise macedonian orthodox.
i will look into that idea

#15 JustBeige

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

So can you do your sis and her hubby or is this where the macedonian problem comes in?   Does DP have any cousins that are flexible enough to be a stand in for him for the Church service?

Naming Day is a civil ceremony.  It can be as religious as you like, depending on your celebrant and what they are willing to write into their service.  Most celebrants arent 'representing' a religion though other than basic christianity.

With a Naming Day, you can hold it where you want at the time you want, you have the people that you want as godparents (and hopefully guests) and you basically acknowledge your child and put whatever words you do/dont want into the service.

We did one for both my kids, we acknowledged them and asked for blessings and to be held in Gods light.  We had a nice poem read and nice little service. Went for about 15mins.  It was awesome, but we also had an awesome celebrant.  

We did this so mainly our children could choose what religion they wanted to be a part of later (if they want to).

If you decide to do a Naming Day then I recommend you ring a few celebrants and find one you hit it off with.

#16 binchen

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

I am not orhodox - but we had a similar issue with a christening overseas.

We were able to choose between one or two godparents -  In case of one, it had to be the same religion (catholic). With two, we could have one catholic and one protestant. There had to be at least one godparent who would be able to raise the child in the chosen confession.

#17 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

but will dp   being greek orthadox be a prob in a maco church

#18 Ehubrydd

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

A quick google tells me that the Macedonian Orthodox Church is in schism with the rest of the Orthodox Church. Bummer.

I don't know what to suggest. If you are sticking with the godparents I don't think you'll be able to baptise in the Greek Orthodox Church. You could have Greek Orthodox godparents for the ceremony only??

#19 BellaMoja

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I dont think it will be a prob in the maco church to have greek ortho godparents - best to ring the priest.

Its so crappy hey....

We had to have catholic godparents as we christened DD in the catholic church and couldnt have my orthodox bro and sis in law ..... SO annoying.... religion doesnt seem to account for modern day mixed marriages even though we are both Christian!

#20 Ehubrydd

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (MO3G @ 05/04/2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but will dp   being greek orthadox be a prob in a maco church

You would need to ask the priest. I only read wikipedia blush.gif but it looks like the Macedonian Church is more open to the rest of the Orthodox Churches than they are to it. Another option is to try another Orthodox Church which may be more lenient on its rules regarding the Macedonian Church. This would be the best of both worlds because you could have your godparents, but you would also be baptising into a recognised Orthodox Church. The only way to find out would be to call different parishes.

QUOTE (BellaMoja @ 05/04/2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think it will be a prob in the maco church to have greek ortho godparents - best to ring the priest.

Its so crappy hey....

We had to have catholic godparents as we christened DD in the catholic church and couldnt have my orthodox bro and sis in law ..... SO annoying.... religion doesnt seem to account for modern day mixed marriages even though we are both Christian!

Really? That's unusual. What a shame!

#21 Prime

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

i'm sorry i dont find it ridiculous at all considering a godparent's role is to guide the child in their religion/faith..it would be like me as a Catholic being a sponsor or something for a Jewish or Muslim child..

#22 Ninja Lemur

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Prime @ 05/04/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm sorry i dont find it ridiculous at all considering a godparent's role is to guide the child in their religion/faith..it would be like me as a Catholic being a sponsor or something for a Jewish or Muslim child..

Hardly the same given they are both Orthodox?  Isn't it more a political than religous difference?

#23 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

yeh i think  its mostly political i just had a quick read up on the past.hopefully the macedonian church will be more inviting as i think the greeks hold most of the grudge

#24 Delillah1

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

You can do the round of the churches and see if there is a priest who will do it. Are you in Melbourne?  My sister got her good friends to co-baptise my niece with me and the priest was open to it. Her friends are Aussie. I had to do the oil but they were able to dress and hold the baby etc and were acknowledged by us as co godparents

#25 Natbub0610

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I don't know if can do this, can you add another Godparent that is Greek Orthodox? Pref someone who won't mind being a 3rd wheel.

My sister and BIL had their 2 best friends for DD1, neither of them Orthodox. The priest insisted that 1 GP be Russian Orthodox also. I was asked to be a Godparent, not that I took offence that it was an afterthought, to be the Godparent also, as I had been christened Russian Orthodox.

All my years growing up, I'd never heard of having more than 2 Godparents, so this came as a surprise but the priest accept 2 GM and 1 GF.

It might depend of the priest and particular church. I think it also helps that the Godparent is familiar with the rites and traditions.

Hope all works out for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

In a bizarre bid for relevancy, Former Opposition leader Mark Latham has deduced that because one female journalist had this week light-heartedly thanked antidepressants and caffeine for getting her through a medical degree while raising two small children, that ergo, all 'inner-city feminists' are selfish harridans who despise their offspring.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Metal shards hidden in playground

Pieces of sharp metal have been seemingly deliberately placed in rubber matting and across equipment at a kids' playground.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.