any orthodox religion people about?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Keeping this brief:

Dp is greek orthodox, dd is getting christenined greek orthodox

Godparents are macedonian orthodox(my sis and her hubby)
just got back from the greek orthodox church with the priest saying that we cant use our chosen godparents because the church doesnt recognize people of macedonian orthodox.

And i just finalised the invitations that werent cheap rant.gif

Anyone heard of this before, im not orthodox but i thought that they were pretty much the same (apart from the obvious) because they are both orthodox.

i dont know what  to do

ETA. this should be in venting

#2 miriams

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

That's ridiculous. The godparents absolutely do not have to be from the same church. Preferably they are supposed to be Christian however.

#3 JustBeige

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Is he a family priest?  If so maybe someone in DP's family can intervene, or they can go higher than him to get advice.

If its just the local parish then maybe you can ring around a couple of other churches and see what they say.

Normally I agree with Miriams, but I think Orthodox are pretty set in their ways and not very welcoming of other religions etc, especially when you are talking about their 'spiritual guides' ie: godparents.  (thats my limited experience anyway)

#4 Brownie22

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Unfortunately that's pretty standard in Greek Orthodox and I don't think you'll be able to get around it. It is what PP said about the role of the godparent to play a role in the child's religious upbringing even though that rarely happens these days.

Edited by Brownie22, 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#5 annodam

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (miriams @ 05/04/2012, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's ridiculous. The godparents absolutely do not have to be from the same church. Preferably they are supposed to be Christian however.

No, it is NOT ridiculous & I find offence to that!
Greek Orthodox religion specifically stipulates the Godparents MUST be Greek Orthodox.

Sorry, OP what the Priest told you is correct, you should've asked him first.
The person who bapitises the child ie., puts the oil on the baby HAS to be Greek Orthodox.
Baptising in the Greek Orthodox faith is MORE important than birthdays & marriage even.

#6 Jenmummy

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

The Greek Orthodox Church generally doesn't recognise the Macedonian Orthodox because of the name "Macedonian." It's kind of hard going into anymore detail without offending either Greeks or Macedonians - they have very disparate views.

Godparents have to be Greek orthodox.

Edited by Jenmummy, 05 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#7 !momo!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I was christened Greek orthodox ( not really practising) DH and I got married in a Greek orthodox church he was baptized in the uniting church. We were told when it came to christening kids the god parent has to be Greek orthodox. So whilst they will marry you in the church as long as you belong to a religion baptized in the holy trinity in terms of christening children I think they are stricter as the god parent is supposed to raise the child in the faith. You could try contacting the archdioses in your state they should be able to clarify.

#8 MrsNorthman

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

yeah godparents have to be Greek orthodox, as far as I know its always been this way.  DP really should have filled you in on this but I'm surprised you didn't have a meeting with the Priest first?

#9 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

does anybody know ANY other options??

Our godparents will be staying the same, i dont see the point of getting greek orthodox god parents that just because of their religion and feel as though we and dd have less of a connection to than the godparents we cant have and know for sure that they will be better role models etc..

this sucks!!

#10 annodam

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

I don't blame the partner for not knowing, there's a lot of stuff in the Greek Orthodox religion that I don't know & I'm pretty strict with following religion.
If in doubt, I ask my mum, she knows everything!
I'm shocked your MIL didn't tell you, or an aunt.
If the need arises again, ask an old Greek lady, she'll tell you.

Remember just before 40 days (after the Christening) is up, to return the candle back to the Church.

ETA:  Just saw your post, no options unfortunately.

Edited by annodam, 05 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#11 JustBeige

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (MO3G @ 05/04/2012, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does anybody know ANY other options??

Our godparents will be staying the same, i dont see the point of getting greek orthodox god parents that just because of their religion and feel as though we and dd have less of a connection to than the godparents we cant have and know for sure that they will be better role models etc..

this sucks!!

decide what you want the most.

A greek orthodox christening or the godparents.

If you want the christening then you need to choose another set of godparents - do you/DH have any siblings that can stand in?

If you want the godparents then get the child christened in another church or get a celebrant to do a naming service.

actually, why dont you do both.  Get the understanding sibs to stand in for the orthodox one and that stops the family having 10 canary fits, then do a smaller/private (no excess relos so there wont be any swooning or muttering in greek about how the world will end)  naming ceremony with the 'true' godparents.

This way it kinda keeps everyone happy and meets the family expectations.

Honestly though, it depends on how you are going to raise your children.  If you are going to raise  and educate (religion wise) them strict greek orthodox then you have no choice but to dump the friends and if you are going to do that, then I probably wouldnt worry about the civil naming service.

Good luck with your choices.

Edited by JustBeige, 05 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#12 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

my only sis is the godparent along with her hubby who is macedonian. DP is an only child.
So what does a naming day involve??

#13 Ninja Lemur

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

an you goto the Macedonian Church instead?  Or would brains explode at that idea.

I thought the other different was language but obviously there is a political element at play as well?

So apart from Russian and Anglo othodox what are branhes of the churh are there?

#14 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Funnily enough that is what MIL said today when i asked her but she had no idea that they dont recognise macedonian orthodox.
i will look into that idea

#15 JustBeige

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

So can you do your sis and her hubby or is this where the macedonian problem comes in?   Does DP have any cousins that are flexible enough to be a stand in for him for the Church service?

Naming Day is a civil ceremony.  It can be as religious as you like, depending on your celebrant and what they are willing to write into their service.  Most celebrants arent 'representing' a religion though other than basic christianity.

With a Naming Day, you can hold it where you want at the time you want, you have the people that you want as godparents (and hopefully guests) and you basically acknowledge your child and put whatever words you do/dont want into the service.

We did one for both my kids, we acknowledged them and asked for blessings and to be held in Gods light.  We had a nice poem read and nice little service. Went for about 15mins.  It was awesome, but we also had an awesome celebrant.  

We did this so mainly our children could choose what religion they wanted to be a part of later (if they want to).

If you decide to do a Naming Day then I recommend you ring a few celebrants and find one you hit it off with.

#16 binchen

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

I am not orhodox - but we had a similar issue with a christening overseas.

We were able to choose between one or two godparents -  In case of one, it had to be the same religion (catholic). With two, we could have one catholic and one protestant. There had to be at least one godparent who would be able to raise the child in the chosen confession.

#17 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

but will dp   being greek orthadox be a prob in a maco church

#18 Ehubrydd

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

A quick google tells me that the Macedonian Orthodox Church is in schism with the rest of the Orthodox Church. Bummer.

I don't know what to suggest. If you are sticking with the godparents I don't think you'll be able to baptise in the Greek Orthodox Church. You could have Greek Orthodox godparents for the ceremony only??

#19 BellaMoja

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I dont think it will be a prob in the maco church to have greek ortho godparents - best to ring the priest.

Its so crappy hey....

We had to have catholic godparents as we christened DD in the catholic church and couldnt have my orthodox bro and sis in law ..... SO annoying.... religion doesnt seem to account for modern day mixed marriages even though we are both Christian!

#20 Ehubrydd

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (MO3G @ 05/04/2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but will dp   being greek orthadox be a prob in a maco church

You would need to ask the priest. I only read wikipedia blush.gif but it looks like the Macedonian Church is more open to the rest of the Orthodox Churches than they are to it. Another option is to try another Orthodox Church which may be more lenient on its rules regarding the Macedonian Church. This would be the best of both worlds because you could have your godparents, but you would also be baptising into a recognised Orthodox Church. The only way to find out would be to call different parishes.

QUOTE (BellaMoja @ 05/04/2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think it will be a prob in the maco church to have greek ortho godparents - best to ring the priest.

Its so crappy hey....

We had to have catholic godparents as we christened DD in the catholic church and couldnt have my orthodox bro and sis in law ..... SO annoying.... religion doesnt seem to account for modern day mixed marriages even though we are both Christian!

Really? That's unusual. What a shame!

#21 Prime

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

i'm sorry i dont find it ridiculous at all considering a godparent's role is to guide the child in their religion/faith..it would be like me as a Catholic being a sponsor or something for a Jewish or Muslim child..

#22 Ninja Lemur

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Prime @ 05/04/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm sorry i dont find it ridiculous at all considering a godparent's role is to guide the child in their religion/faith..it would be like me as a Catholic being a sponsor or something for a Jewish or Muslim child..

Hardly the same given they are both Orthodox?  Isn't it more a political than religous difference?

#23 MO3G

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

yeh i think  its mostly political i just had a quick read up on the past.hopefully the macedonian church will be more inviting as i think the greeks hold most of the grudge

#24 Delillah1

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

You can do the round of the churches and see if there is a priest who will do it. Are you in Melbourne?  My sister got her good friends to co-baptise my niece with me and the priest was open to it. Her friends are Aussie. I had to do the oil but they were able to dress and hold the baby etc and were acknowledged by us as co godparents

#25 Natbub0610

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I don't know if can do this, can you add another Godparent that is Greek Orthodox? Pref someone who won't mind being a 3rd wheel.

My sister and BIL had their 2 best friends for DD1, neither of them Orthodox. The priest insisted that 1 GP be Russian Orthodox also. I was asked to be a Godparent, not that I took offence that it was an afterthought, to be the Godparent also, as I had been christened Russian Orthodox.

All my years growing up, I'd never heard of having more than 2 Godparents, so this came as a surprise but the priest accept 2 GM and 1 GF.

It might depend of the priest and particular church. I think it also helps that the Godparent is familiar with the rites and traditions.

Hope all works out for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.