Liking names that sound made-up/kreative
But aren't

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

What names do you like, that have a real history to them, that you think people will think "Right, that's made up/mispelled" but, in fact, aren't?

Anyway, this is not a thread for hurf durfing about other languages being stupid, but for names you like but may or may not be too sensitive to public opinion/pronunciation to use. Or you would/did use them! If you did, tell us how you've gone.

Here's some that sprang to my mind as ones I like. Possibly not Australia-friendly. Or maybe I'm wrong. You can tell me what you think of mine or just post your own. Be a nice person and put genders with them so people who aren't used to them can sort them out.

Girls
Ekaterina
Saoirse
Niamh
Katya
Zelda
Tamar
Keziah
Aoife

Boys
Kemuel
Hanan
Nehemyah
Eoin
Tzvi/Zvi
Naphtali
Jabez

I know not all of these would be very easy to use in Australia. And there's a mix of languages here. My DH got me into the Gaelic names, he really loves  Aoife and Eoin for example. The Biblical ones are mine.

#2 Franny Glass

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I love the name Laetitia but I don't think it's that "useable" - people tend to assume either a) it comes from the Shaquisha/Neveah family of made-up names, or b) it's a stripper's name.

My thoughts on yours:

Girls
Ekaterina - Lovely and I know it's not made-up original.gif I do prefer Katerina though and think it's far more "useable" in Aus
Saoirse - NMS, but fine and perfectly useable.
Niamh - I quite like it. Pretty. And very useable in Aus, I know 2 Niamhs and 1 Neve.
Katya - Love love love! Though I personally prefer the Katia spelling, not sure why.
Zelda - I quite like it. I think of Zelda Fitzgerald, but I know the video game makes it a bit tricky to use...
Tamar - Dislike
Keziah - Ok
Aoife - Sorry I really dislike this one. Looks awful, and doesn't sound much better IMO. Eva is so much nicer.

FWIW I don't think any of your girls names look or sound made-up...

Boys
Kemuel - I'm not familiar with it, but would assume that's my ignorance as it doesn't look/sound made-up.
Hanan - Ditto
Nehemyah- Ditto
Eoin- NMS, but very useable.
Tzvi/Zvi - Probably the only name on your list which I might jump to conclusions and think was made-up before I looked into it.
Naphtali - Not familiar with it, but would not assume it was made-up.
Jabez - I don't like it, but it's fairly useable I think

#3 kerilyntaryn

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

my daughter has a Eilidh in her class - very pretty name

boys names

Micaiah
Matthias
Matteo
Nehemiah
Lemuel
Brennan
Caedmon
Cael
Kinsley
McKinsley
Larkin
Merritt

girls

Mercedes
Sorcha
Laken
Tirzah
Keturah
Azaria
Mali
Avonlea
Brenna
Caoimhe
Delphine
Delma
Edina
Caoilfhinn
Kalani

#4 Ianthe

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 04/04/2012, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Girls
Saoirse
Niamh
Keziah
Aoife

I think we should get married and have four daughters wink.gif Although Keziah would be the odd one out. I adore all four of those names.

#5 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Pretty sure we're about to do exactly that for #2.

We want another biblical/Hebrew name similar to our eldest, but the one we *think* we have decided on will probably get a "what the?!?" response from all but the most religious (similar in style to Zvi)

Far better to be thought a fundamentalist than a maker-uperer of names! I'm still umm-ing and aah-ing about it...

#6 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 04/04/2012, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we should get married and have four daughters wink.gif Although Keziah would be the odd one out. I adore all four of those names.

haha awesome!

Your SN reminds me: my sister thinks I made up Iolantha just to be difficult. I like it though.

kerilyntaryn: I love a lot of yours. Micaiah is great. I like Nehemiah too but I like the spelling/pronunciation Nehemyah (same name, actually) more. I would have moved Azaria over to the boy's side, though. original.gif

Laetitia, stripper? No way. I love Laetitia, but my husband vetoed it in favour of the pretty much just as weird Liora/Leora. We haven't chosen a preferred spelling yet for that one.

#7 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

I love Liora / Leora and Keziah, but DH says no. Along with no to:
English Kings & Queens (since revised to include minor royalty) - excluding half my family names
No New Testament names - fair enough, but excludes another quarter of the names from my family
His relatives names - I know it's a cultural thing, but any living person who appears anywhere on the family tree? Second cousin twice removed who lives o/s and who you have never met is a bit different to first cousin, surely?

#8 kerilyntaryn

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (NotBitzerMaloney @ 04/04/2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure we're about to do exactly that for #2.

We want another biblical/Hebrew name similar to our eldest, but the one we *think* we have decided on will probably get a "what the?!?" response from all but the most religious (similar in style to Zvi)

Far better to be thought a fundamentalist than a maker-uperer of names! I'm still umm-ing and aah-ing about it...

cool - what name are you thinking

#9 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (NotBitzerMaloney @ 04/04/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love Liora / Leora and Keziah, but DH says no. Along with no to:
English Kings & Queens (since revised to include minor royalty) - excluding half my family names
No New Testament names - fair enough, but excludes another quarter of the names from my family
His relatives names - I know it's a cultural thing, but any living person who appears anywhere on the family tree? Second cousin twice removed who lives o/s and who you have never met is a bit different to first cousin, surely?

I have the same name as a 3rd cousin. Spelled differently, actually, but that wasn't intentional, that's my mom's inability to spell.

I just won't name AFTER living relatives. No honouring my siblings or my parents or live aunts/uncles/cousins. But I've got a 1st cousin Rachel (Is there a Jewish person who DOESN'T have a cousin Rachel...) and my not-related-to-her grandmother has since died, and that grandmother was a Rahel and I'm honouring that grandmother with any damn R name I please, and if I liked Rachel I would use that, for my grandmother who's Hebrew name was Rahel Liba. It's just not for my cousin Rachel Miriam, because that'd be weird.

I dunno if that makes sense to you but it makes sense to me.

(I'm probably gonna use Raquela or Rae or something anyway)

Sorry for the sideline. But if your husband wants to stay away from the family names, New Testament would probably be a good start... wink.gif

#10 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (fertile woman @ 04/04/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ekaterina - don't know but Katerina itself is lovely. Is this the internet version?
Saoirse - not made up Celtic I think
Niamh - "Neeve" not made up - definitely Celtic
Katya -  Cart-ya - Russian or European of some sort
Zelda - There's a whole freakin series of computer games.. totally not made up.  Dude.
Tamar - Can't be made up.  There's yoghurt named this
Kezia - no idea but if there's a theme here I'd say it's real
Aoife- Eeffa - celtic name.  Also used by bogans in place of the word "either" althoug more likely to be said "eeva"

Boys
Kemuel  - Sounds like a bogan inbreeding of Samuel
Hanan - Sounds Hebrew!
Nehemyah - See above!
Eoin  - Celtic version of Ian
Tzvi/Zvi  - I know Zwi is Scandanavian so I'll go with European
Naphtali  - sound middle eastern/hebrew
Jabez - see above.  First Testament material.

These made me laugh unreasonably hard. Thanks for playing along, fertile woman. "a whole freakin series of computer games..."

Yeah, my DH got me onto the Gaelic names, he's Irish-descended Aussie. I think they're the ones that actually play best out here.

#11 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Naming after one 'someone' but not another 'someone' makes total sense to me, yes.

QUOTE (la di dah @ 04/04/2012, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if your husband wants to stay away from the family names, New Testament would probably be a good start... wink.gif

Exactly. Shame he doesn't agree. wink.gif  

His extended family have cherry picked almost every cool name from Abraham to Zvi (surprise, surprise, there's a "cousin" Rachel.. And Rebecca...and Ruth....and so on). Certainly none of them chose Mathew, Mark, Luke or John over Asher, Levi, Jethro, Eli and Daniel. biggrin.gif

He wants "cool" and phonetic and Hebrew- mostly for his parents sake - which after you exclude every living relative on the planet, is not the longest list in the world, y'know?

#12 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (NotBitzerMaloney @ 04/04/2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naming after one 'someone' but not another 'someone' makes total sense to me, yes.

Exactly. Shame he doesn't agree. wink.gif  

His extended family have cherry picked almost every cool name from Abraham to Zvi (surprise, surprise, there's a "cousin" Rachel.. And Rebecca...and Ruth....and so on). Certainly none of them chose Mathew, Mark, Luke or John over Asher, Levi, Jethro, Eli and Daniel. biggrin.gif

He wants "cool" and phonetic and Hebrew- mostly for his parents sake - which after you exclude every living relative on the planet, is not the longest list in the world, y'know?

Girls Hebrew cool names I like:
Noa (this might be too weird for a girl in Australia, possibly belonging in this thread even!)
Esther - I have a cousin twice removed by this name, but she can get over it.
Yael/Jael - I say both with a y- sound. Weird? Dunno.
Dinah - I love Dinah. With the English die-nah pronunciation I still don't think it gets common use anywhere?
Avigail/Abigail
Naomi, which I can never ever use.
Aaliyah. Which I know I could get away with here? I'm sure I've seen Australian Aaliyahs.

Boys
Noam - Also I can't use this.
Phinneas
Gavriel - my DH has crushed my hopes for this one by saying "you know why MY relatives will think of Gavriel? That I've felt the need to tart up Gavin. And they'll call him Gazza." I just like it more than Gabriel because I dislike Gabe. My DH is sure Australians will hate it though? sad.gif
Gideon
Judah

Hanan and Tzvi/Zvi however you want it spelt were my granddads' Hebrew names. Well one was Hanan Pesach and the other Avram Tzvi but there are Avrams out the door in my family and Pesach is no more easily managed than Hanan is, is it?

#13 Catolyn

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 04/04/2012, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gavriel - my DH has crushed my hopes for this one by saying "you know why MY relatives will think of Gavriel? That I've felt the need to tart up Gavin. And they'll call him Gazza." I just like it more than Gabriel because I dislike Gabe. My DH is sure Australians will hate it though? sad.gif

Also consider the fact that v and b are next to each other on a keyboard AND sound extremely similar phoenetically, so everyone will crack wise about it being a typo or the kid having a lisp.

#14 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (fertile woman @ 04/04/2012, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh have you read "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant?

Yeah, I read that, but *hipster shades* I liked it when it was still underground.  wink.gif

I know people who spell it Dina and say it dee-na the Hebrew way but nobody who is spelling it Dinah and saying it die-nah. People I've run it past say it's too old-fashioned or they think of Alice in Wonderland's cat.  unsure.gif

#15 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Noa - if there hadn't been an explosion in Noah's this would have been up there
Esther - NMS
Yael/Jael - Too similar to male cousin's name
Dinah - the "won't you blow" thing means it won't work for me and my sarcastic family
Avigail/Abigail - we both love these. As do a million firiends and family who have chosen it for their daughters
Naomi - "cousin"
Aaliyah. I have seen it, but too much religious and cultural baggage for us I think

Boys
Noam - NMS
Phinneas - NMS
Gavriel - "cousin" ie random relative
Gideon- "cousin"
Judah - somewhat ruined for me when DH asked me if that meant I had Jew-dar, like Gay-dar
Hanan and Tzvi/Zvi and Pesach  - yep, all a bridge too far for an Irish Australian woman
[/quote]

#16 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (ಠ_ಠ @ 04/04/2012, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also consider the fact that v and b are next to each other on a keyboard AND sound extremely similar phoenetically, so everyone will crack wise about it being a typo or the kid having a lisp.

I normally am chill with using the English version whenever its comparatively well-known but Gabe just grates.

However you speak wisdom. STOP IT IMMEDIATELY. Who are you anyway, Angry Eyes? original.gif

NotBitzer, I suppose you have Shoshanas out the door too? I like Shoshana/Susannah. None in my family but my family isn't all that big.

#17 dulcinea

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Love this thread  - not all the names though wink.gif Some just too "out there" for my liking, and not really useable. I have a soft spot for Ekaterina though - such a noble sounding name!!

I have to admit I feel that, unless you are connected to a particular cultural background, it's best to stay away from names too closely associated. That's just my 2 cents worth, I know lots of people feel differently.

If you are interested, I give you something to think about though: Here's a list of names of some relatives of mine - mostly my first cousins, one is my maternal grandfather, and another my uncle. Have a go at assigning genders and what nationality they are.

Heli
Satu
Teemu
Ilmari
Heini
Ilkka
Jorma

I'd never use these names in Australia, I wouldn't want my poor children forever spelling their names.

#18 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

No Shoshannas, but "Oh Susannah" is a problem.
Alright I admit it - I'm as picky as he is *AND* I'm a thread hijacker. Sorry!  blush.gif

#19 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

I thiiiink Jorma is Finnish for Jeremiah. So masculine. Either that or I am completely brain-farting something else.

They look, uh, what I tease one of my friends as "Finlanavian" to me though.

Gonna say Heli is a girl and Jorma is a boy.

That is it for me.

#20 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (dulcinea @ 04/04/2012, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heli
Satu
Teemu
Ilmari
Heini
Ilkka
Jorma

Gotta be Finnish, surely? But as for genders??? I'll vote Ilkka female and Jorma male, but I don't even have a guess for the others!

#21 dulcinea

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yep, Finnish - no brain farts there, LDD tongue.gif

And yes, Jorma is a boy, Heli is a girl. I do like Jorma as well, but I think a lot of people in Australia might guess female for Jorma. Just to close to Norma. Shame really.

NBM: One right, one wrong: Ilkka is my very handsome (male) cousin, all scandinavian good looks and not very female looking - lol!

#22 la di dah

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

I like Heli, I think. People will just assume its a variant Haley/Hayley/Halle though.

I would not want to go through English-speaking primary school named Heini, though. At least not in the US, do they call butts heinies here?

#23 Catolyn

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 04/04/2012, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I normally am chill with using the English version whenever its comparatively well-known but Gabe just grates.

However you speak wisdom. STOP IT IMMEDIATELY. Who are you anyway, Angry Eyes? original.gif

'tis ye old Bort (although I haven't used that name in a while)

#24 la di dah

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (ಠ_ಠ @ 05/04/2012, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'tis ye old Bort (although I haven't used that name in a while)

Sorry, Bort. I'm so bad at keeping track of the name changes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.