Any drs/nurses - Updated 30/4th/13 RIP mum xx

• Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

#301 new~mum~reenie

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Awesome.

Go.

Be with your family and enjoy every moment.

Take care and I'll keep your mum and your family in my thoughts.

#302 monkeys mum

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

What awesome news!! So is a glass display unit on the cards for mothers day for her?

I understand not updating this thread but make sure you write these memories down and the new memories down.

Take care and I hope your mum keeps surprising you all!

#303 FeralMinx

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

So is a glass display unit on the cards for mothers day for her?
hmmmm good thinking!

#304 JRA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think the glass display unit for mothers day is a great idea.

#305 Petrichor

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

WOW!  What a road you have travelled this past two weeks!  So glad that your Mum is much more comfortable and that there is genuine reason to hope.  What a relief that the hospital staff have pulled their heads in too.  All the very best for you, your Mum and your Dad.  (Also hope your sister works out what the heck is going on with her health).

HF

#306 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Insult to injury - just got security called on me for not asking 'how high' when they told me to jump.  Assholes.

Mum is doing better and has been moved to a 2 bed ward and dad got kicked out 2 nights ago.  So in the fray we decided dad would be there 8.30am till 1pm, sis there from 3 till 5.30, and me from 5.30 till 9 to tuck her in bed.

First day (yesterday) fine.
Today was going fine.  quatre to nine I take mum to the loo and help her with her teeth etc.  get her back to the bed.  Just putting her legs in to the bed and the night nurse (just on) walks in.  

Mum says hello, as do i.  I say 'oh its strange, mum had hydromorph an hour ago but she still has pain and her breathing is still laboured.'

Nurse looks at me really seriously and says 'um visiting hours are over, you have to go'..

I was taken aback, but I said 'yea ok im just getting mum in to bed (still had mums legs in my hands)'.

she goes 'um no, I will do that, its time you left'...

I was quite shocked and just said 'no, I will leave when I have tucked mum in'...

she goes 'fine I will get security' and leaves the room  oomg.gif

I was holding back the tears, because I knew it upset mum and I didn't want our last moments to be negative.  I put her pillow behind her head and was putting one under her arm when the NUM walks in.  

She asks whats going on I said 'im just tucking my mum in and leaving.  the nurse who left the room a minute ago was so rude!'

She says 'thats because visiting hours are over and you have to leave'

Im like 'ok, first i've heard, we've been caring for mum the whole time she has been in, and as I said to that nurse I am just finishing up and then leaving'

she says 'WHEN are you leaving??'

I said 'what part of what I said don't you understand?'

She says 'who says I don't understand?'

I said 'what the hell is going on here? Im tucking my mum in and leaving'

She said 'no need to be like that, your mum is already IN bed so why are you still here?'

nno2.gif

I cant believe what she just said!  I try to think of something useful to say, as it was just so pointless rude and argumentative.. I say 'I am getting pretty angry at whats happening! If you wanna have a debate with me, can you wait a minute and I will come out there so it doesn't upset my mum?'

She said 'so you are angry?  OK'... walks out and calls security!

The whole time I still had mums hand in mine and putting the pillow under her arm!

I tried to stay calm for mums sake.  I got her two bed side tables and made sure she could reach the buzzer, phone, water, etc...  which makes her feel secure.  Kissed her on the head and left saying Its OK to her as she looked so worried!

Walking out I saw the security guards who I see every day as I am there every day.  I asked if they just got called to the ward, they say yea. I said Dont worry it was for me because I was tucking my mum in to bed!

I just wanted to bawl my eyes out sad.gif  Absolutely uncalled for and spiteful.  Can't believe it sad.gif

#307 beaglebaby

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hugest of hugs, what a terrible way to be treated.

#308 risa80

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

God HM, what a crazy journey this has been sad.gif

There's just no words for how the hospital has treated your mum and you and your family. Just so wrong.

Freo - can't stand that hospital. Had chest pains recently (have a heart condition) and when told I was going to an ER said bugger off instead because I was not going there. Unfortunately not much better treatment at a private hospital ER with a crazy doctor who was convinced, with all my heart problems, I must have arthritis in the neck causing chest pain lol - even though I said my neck is fine, she had $230 worth of x-rays ordered to prove it wasn't and of course she was wrong. So what I'm saying is I guess there are bad ones all over the place. Have found a bad share in cardios also. But to treat you with such disrespect when you are just caring for your mother? I really think you need to put in a complaint about those latest ones. sad.gif

Your an awesome daughter and your Mum sounds like a gorgeous lady original.gif

Hoping she keeps turning that corner and improving even more original.gif

#309 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thanks BB and risa

But to treat you with such disrespect when you are just caring for your mother? I really think you need to put in a complaint about those latest ones.

thats basically how I am feeling. Actually I am feeling royally sorry for myself (seperately to mums dodgy treatment) about the treatment at the hospital over the past 3 weeks or so.  It must sound like a total victim mentality but seriously there have been a number of doozy terrible things, against myself AND my mum.  I am so upset sad.gif

Edited by HillmanMinx, 26 April 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#310 tinkster23

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hillmanminx, I've been lurking here but not commented until today.

I wanted to urge you to write a letter to the public relations part of the hospital involved (is it freo?) and tell them what has gone on. Its just not cool. I can't believe a nurse would call security when you were tucking your mum into bed sad.gif
I'm a nurse and that just makes me ashamed, its a horrible way to treat someone. Please write the letter, let the hospital, the managers and everyone else know that its just not on.

I'm glad you're mum is doing better tho.

#311 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

No not freo.  I'll be writing to them and CC'ing the minister for health and freaking anyone else I can think of now.  That was the last straw   closedeyes.gif

Edited by HillmanMinx, 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#312 Julie3Girls

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Wow, sounds like they handled this all soooo badly. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

The only thing I can think of is that they aren't aware of just how much you are doing for your mother.  I can understand them needing you to leave - once you are in a shared room situation they need to enforce the rules for everyone.  Someone needs to take over what you are doing to help care for your mother, if they don't want you there.

But the way they went about it was disgraceful sad.gif

#313 boatiebabe

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

HM I am another who has lurked mostly - I did post early in the piece.

I was away for a couple of weeks and I was so happy to come back and read that miraculously your mother was getting better - I was so happy for all of you!

My mother passed away almost a year ago and got some of the most God awful treatment from doctors and nurses. She had a 10cm cancer tumor growing into her stomach, lungs, diaphragm etc that somehow no test could find - despite her unutterable pain.

She was told it was all in her head - the doctors and nurses were indifferent, rude and difficult etc etc so I do know some of what you are feeling. Miraculously they finally found what was up and then for the three days before she died they all turned really lovely. Anyway that's my baggage.

Hearing this from you now makes me so ANGRY and sad for you and your mum. What on earth is wrong with these people???? Anything I can write up or research for you (contacting media about your plight), I am willing to do for you so that you can concentrate on your mum.

I am so upset that I am here crying at my computer. It is so wrong! Can I do anything to help?

#314 Sam Wheat

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Here I was thinking 'No news is good news'. It's great news that your mum is doing so much better, is it getting to the point where coming home is on the cards? Hopefully, so the sooner you are out of that s*it hole of a hospital, the better.

#315 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

boatiebabe - no nothing hun, but thank you for the offer.  I am SO sorry to read what your mother and you went through - it is terrible sad.gif  nno2.gif  

I can understand them needing you to leave - once you are in a shared room situation they need to enforce the rules for everyone.

Yea I would have been happy to finish up and leave and rejig our roster to suit the nurses or rules etc... a chance would have been a fine thing.  Politely notifying me of whatever and giving me a moment to finish up what I was doing would have been fine.  

This nurse and her NUM had no intention of being reasonable they both had an issue with me even though I had never seen or spoken to either before.  It appeared very spiteful to me, I can only think that they listened to staffroom gossip about what went on last week/week before.  

I was stunned at their attitude and calling the security guards was pure malice, not at all done to achieve a reasonable outcome or due to danger etc.    

#316 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Here I was thinking 'No news is good news'.
It is too original.gif  Mums heart is still in terrible shape of course and she still has masses of fluid (she is usually 50 kg but looks like a size 20 from the waist down and can barely weight bare on her legs), even though she is back on frusemide - its not shifting.  She is still seriously ill but MUCH better than 2 weeks ago and she may be able to come home next week.

#317 DreamFeralisations

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hillman Minx - did you ever get to see a Social Worker?  Or the patient advocate?

I can understand them wanting the rules to be followed "out in the open" but they obviously failed bedside manner 101 in the last (and the prior and the prior...) instance.

hugs to you and your family.

#318 new~mum~reenie

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

What the hell is wrong with these people?

There is a way to approach these things - if they don't like someone being there, they could bring it up at a better time....

PLEASE, try and get to a social worker/patient advocate.
Just found this list of contacts with Freo patient liaison contact details on -
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/electivesurger...ontacts_AHS.pdf

Write them an email - outline your requests have been ignored by staff and this is your final attempt before going to the Ombudsman. That your mothers treatment has been lacking and botched multiple times, and that staff behavior has been rude etc.

Good thing you have this thread as a reference of events

#319 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Mum may come home soon so I am just going to leave it and deal with it all when I have the time.  I really want them to address my/mums swag of experiences and say how they are going to change things to avoid them in the future.

Hillman Minx - did you ever get to see a Social Worker? Or the patient advocate?
No she never bothered to come see me and I was over chasing and begging so I thought whatever, lets see if she ever follows up.  She has not.  

#320 ~Sorceress~

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

The system has really let you and your mother down sad.gif . I really hope your sharing with us has the side benefit of being a good record of all the many avoidable nasties you encountered! ohmy.gif

Fingers crossed your mum is home soon and you can have a break for a while! original.gif

#321 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Mums home original.gif

Hospice, Complex Care, Rehab in the home, HACC, all sorted and should start next week!  

Now to find mum a geriatrician, get her eyes and teeth sorted (both gone down hill) and find a way to adjust to our new life.

One minor irk was that she isn't going to get wound care even though she has a sacral would (its healing nicely) and her legs are still (loaded with fluid) raw, weeping and heavily bandaged.  I have no issue doing it but it would have been good to have someone come through and make sure they are going OK.

Aside from that, the discharge today went well and I am happy to see the back of the hospital thats for sure.  As is mum original.gif  Not to mention she has come home fairly well and in good spirits and not dead biggrin.gif

YAY!

Edited by HillmanMinx, 27 April 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#322 ~elle~

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Can you get Silver Chain to do Nursing cares for your Mum at home??

I can't believe you can't get help for wound care in the home.. thats pretty bad discharge planning.

#323 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I can't believe you can't get help for wound care in the home.. thats pretty bad discharge planning.
  They said her legs aren't wounds!  They are packed up and bandaged from toe to upper shin, raw red and weeping CLEAR fluid and the fact that its clear fluid means it isn't a 'wound' apparently.  And the sacral wound is healing and now that she is moving better, should get better.  I got the nurse to double check whether we could have some help and no.

Silver chain hospice just called and gave us their 24 hour number to call them if mum needs additional pain medicine etc.  They said she was discharged with hydromorphone I said NO the hospital said hospice would deal with that.  She said no hospital should have discharged mum with it...

She called the hospital to sort it out and now the hospital are saying they PUT A LARGE BOTTLE OF DILORDIT (sp) IN MY HANDS ON DISCHARGE!  I don't even know what that is but it must be hydromorphone or something because its a schedule 8 drug.  They did not give me that nor mention it nor is it on mums discharge papers.  They sent me home with 2 pages of scripts (non dilordit) and 5 sleeping pills, 3 fentynyl patches and a bottle of lactulol.  Its still in the packaging as I haven't had chance to open it!

**** still getting issues with the hospital NOW!

#324 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

just googled, its Dilaudid and it is hydromorphone.  As if they just handed that to me without any instructions and with it being the only drug not listed on any of her paperwork!

Edited by HillmanMinx, 27 April 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#325 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

sorted.  I didn't take off with a schedule 8 drug and deny it LOL - the NUM on the medical ward is currently asking the doctor to write a script for it which i will go pick up.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.