• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

#301 ~Sorceress~

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

What a wonderful update! biggrin.gif

Thank you for sharing this amazing journey! biggrin.gif

#302 DarkestNight

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

That is so wonderful to hear! I really hope she has a better time of it from here on in and has a great time celebrating her birthday, wedding anniversary and your nieces wedding  bbighug.gif

#303 *~*ME*~*

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

HM i have just read this whole thread and i am sooooo happy for you, and your whole family that your mum has turned a corner, ,please keep us updated, as its even a good journal for you to go back and read. xx

#304 toosenuf

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

HM this is wondeful news, i am so happy for you and your family, enjoy your time together.

#305 codex

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I couldn't read this and not thank you for sharing.  Your emotional honestly and openness has been a gift and, from how you have written about your parents, I can see where you learnt it.
I wish you, your mum, and your family many future days of love.

#306 OneMore?

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Fantastic news. You have a very special family.

Wishing many more happy memories to you and your beautiful family.

#307 duck-o-lah

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is really incredible news! I'm so pleased that the horrible treatment at the hospital subsided with time and you were able to have this precious time together as a family. I'm even more pleased to read your update that your mum is doing so much better than expected!

I too want to thank you for the privilege of sharing your journey here, these are the threads that show the real heart of EB original.gif Keep us posted at your leisure, and enjoy this precious time original.gif

#308 HillmanMinx

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

hheart.gif

#309 Ianthe

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

What an incredible update. So happy for your family.

#310 BeachedAsBro

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Wonderful news HM. Enjoy life, it sounds wonderful right now original.gif

#311 soontobegran

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

What heartwarming news HM original.gif
You sound like one amazing family x

#312 emishka

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

That is just fantastic news,  you have been in my thoughts.  Enjoy this extra time you have been given with your mum...

#313 new~mum~reenie

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Awesome.

Go.

Be with your family and enjoy every moment.

Take care and I'll keep your mum and your family in my thoughts.

#314 monkeys mum

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

What awesome news!! So is a glass display unit on the cards for mothers day for her?

I understand not updating this thread but make sure you write these memories down and the new memories down.

Take care and I hope your mum keeps surprising you all!

#315 HillmanMinx

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

So is a glass display unit on the cards for mothers day for her?
hmmmm good thinking!

#316 JRA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think the glass display unit for mothers day is a great idea.

#317 Petrichor

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

WOW!  What a road you have travelled this past two weeks!  So glad that your Mum is much more comfortable and that there is genuine reason to hope.  What a relief that the hospital staff have pulled their heads in too.  All the very best for you, your Mum and your Dad.  (Also hope your sister works out what the heck is going on with her health).

HF

#318 HillmanMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Insult to injury - just got security called on me for not asking 'how high' when they told me to jump.  Assholes.

Mum is doing better and has been moved to a 2 bed ward and dad got kicked out 2 nights ago.  So in the fray we decided dad would be there 8.30am till 1pm, sis there from 3 till 5.30, and me from 5.30 till 9 to tuck her in bed.

First day (yesterday) fine.
Today was going fine.  quatre to nine I take mum to the loo and help her with her teeth etc.  get her back to the bed.  Just putting her legs in to the bed and the night nurse (just on) walks in.  

Mum says hello, as do i.  I say 'oh its strange, mum had hydromorph an hour ago but she still has pain and her breathing is still laboured.'

Nurse looks at me really seriously and says 'um visiting hours are over, you have to go'..

I was taken aback, but I said 'yea ok im just getting mum in to bed (still had mums legs in my hands)'.

she goes 'um no, I will do that, its time you left'...

I was quite shocked and just said 'no, I will leave when I have tucked mum in'...

she goes 'fine I will get security' and leaves the room  oomg.gif

I was holding back the tears, because I knew it upset mum and I didn't want our last moments to be negative.  I put her pillow behind her head and was putting one under her arm when the NUM walks in.  

She asks whats going on I said 'im just tucking my mum in and leaving.  the nurse who left the room a minute ago was so rude!'

She says 'thats because visiting hours are over and you have to leave'

Im like 'ok, first i've heard, we've been caring for mum the whole time she has been in, and as I said to that nurse I am just finishing up and then leaving'

she says 'WHEN are you leaving??'

I said 'what part of what I said don't you understand?'

She says 'who says I don't understand?'

I said 'what the hell is going on here? Im tucking my mum in and leaving'

She said 'no need to be like that, your mum is already IN bed so why are you still here?'

nno2.gif

I cant believe what she just said!  I try to think of something useful to say, as it was just so pointless rude and argumentative.. I say 'I am getting pretty angry at whats happening! If you wanna have a debate with me, can you wait a minute and I will come out there so it doesn't upset my mum?'

She said 'so you are angry?  OK'... walks out and calls security!

The whole time I still had mums hand in mine and putting the pillow under her arm!

I tried to stay calm for mums sake.  I got her two bed side tables and made sure she could reach the buzzer, phone, water, etc...  which makes her feel secure.  Kissed her on the head and left saying Its OK to her as she looked so worried!

Walking out I saw the security guards who I see every day as I am there every day.  I asked if they just got called to the ward, they say yea. I said Dont worry it was for me because I was tucking my mum in to bed!

I just wanted to bawl my eyes out sad.gif  Absolutely uncalled for and spiteful.  Can't believe it sad.gif

#319 beaglebaby

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hugest of hugs, what a terrible way to be treated.

#320 risa80

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

God HM, what a crazy journey this has been sad.gif

There's just no words for how the hospital has treated your mum and you and your family. Just so wrong.

Freo - can't stand that hospital. Had chest pains recently (have a heart condition) and when told I was going to an ER said bugger off instead because I was not going there. Unfortunately not much better treatment at a private hospital ER with a crazy doctor who was convinced, with all my heart problems, I must have arthritis in the neck causing chest pain lol - even though I said my neck is fine, she had $230 worth of x-rays ordered to prove it wasn't and of course she was wrong. So what I'm saying is I guess there are bad ones all over the place. Have found a bad share in cardios also. But to treat you with such disrespect when you are just caring for your mother? I really think you need to put in a complaint about those latest ones. sad.gif

Your an awesome daughter and your Mum sounds like a gorgeous lady original.gif

Hoping she keeps turning that corner and improving even more original.gif

#321 HillmanMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thanks BB and risa

But to treat you with such disrespect when you are just caring for your mother? I really think you need to put in a complaint about those latest ones.

thats basically how I am feeling. Actually I am feeling royally sorry for myself (seperately to mums dodgy treatment) about the treatment at the hospital over the past 3 weeks or so.  It must sound like a total victim mentality but seriously there have been a number of doozy terrible things, against myself AND my mum.  I am so upset sad.gif

Edited by HillmanMinx, 26 April 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#322 tinkster23

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hillmanminx, I've been lurking here but not commented until today.

I wanted to urge you to write a letter to the public relations part of the hospital involved (is it freo?) and tell them what has gone on. Its just not cool. I can't believe a nurse would call security when you were tucking your mum into bed sad.gif
I'm a nurse and that just makes me ashamed, its a horrible way to treat someone. Please write the letter, let the hospital, the managers and everyone else know that its just not on.

I'm glad you're mum is doing better tho.

#323 HillmanMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

No not freo.  I'll be writing to them and CC'ing the minister for health and freaking anyone else I can think of now.  That was the last straw   closedeyes.gif

Edited by HillmanMinx, 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#324 Julie3Girls

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Wow, sounds like they handled this all soooo badly. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

The only thing I can think of is that they aren't aware of just how much you are doing for your mother.  I can understand them needing you to leave - once you are in a shared room situation they need to enforce the rules for everyone.  Someone needs to take over what you are doing to help care for your mother, if they don't want you there.

But the way they went about it was disgraceful sad.gif

#325 boatiebabe

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

HM I am another who has lurked mostly - I did post early in the piece.

I was away for a couple of weeks and I was so happy to come back and read that miraculously your mother was getting better - I was so happy for all of you!

My mother passed away almost a year ago and got some of the most God awful treatment from doctors and nurses. She had a 10cm cancer tumor growing into her stomach, lungs, diaphragm etc that somehow no test could find - despite her unutterable pain.

She was told it was all in her head - the doctors and nurses were indifferent, rude and difficult etc etc so I do know some of what you are feeling. Miraculously they finally found what was up and then for the three days before she died they all turned really lovely. Anyway that's my baggage.

Hearing this from you now makes me so ANGRY and sad for you and your mum. What on earth is wrong with these people???? Anything I can write up or research for you (contacting media about your plight), I am willing to do for you so that you can concentrate on your mum.

I am so upset that I am here crying at my computer. It is so wrong! Can I do anything to help?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.