Any drs/nurses - Updated 30/4th/13 RIP mum xx

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#301 monkeys mum

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

What awesome news!! So is a glass display unit on the cards for mothers day for her?

I understand not updating this thread but make sure you write these memories down and the new memories down.

Take care and I hope your mum keeps surprising you all!

#302 FeralMinx

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

So is a glass display unit on the cards for mothers day for her?
hmmmm good thinking!

#303 JRA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think the glass display unit for mothers day is a great idea.

#304 Petrichor

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

WOW!  What a road you have travelled this past two weeks!  So glad that your Mum is much more comfortable and that there is genuine reason to hope.  What a relief that the hospital staff have pulled their heads in too.  All the very best for you, your Mum and your Dad.  (Also hope your sister works out what the heck is going on with her health).

HF

#305 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Insult to injury - just got security called on me for not asking 'how high' when they told me to jump.  Assholes.

Mum is doing better and has been moved to a 2 bed ward and dad got kicked out 2 nights ago.  So in the fray we decided dad would be there 8.30am till 1pm, sis there from 3 till 5.30, and me from 5.30 till 9 to tuck her in bed.

First day (yesterday) fine.
Today was going fine.  quatre to nine I take mum to the loo and help her with her teeth etc.  get her back to the bed.  Just putting her legs in to the bed and the night nurse (just on) walks in.  

Mum says hello, as do i.  I say 'oh its strange, mum had hydromorph an hour ago but she still has pain and her breathing is still laboured.'

Nurse looks at me really seriously and says 'um visiting hours are over, you have to go'..

I was taken aback, but I said 'yea ok im just getting mum in to bed (still had mums legs in my hands)'.

she goes 'um no, I will do that, its time you left'...

I was quite shocked and just said 'no, I will leave when I have tucked mum in'...

she goes 'fine I will get security' and leaves the room  oomg.gif

I was holding back the tears, because I knew it upset mum and I didn't want our last moments to be negative.  I put her pillow behind her head and was putting one under her arm when the NUM walks in.  

She asks whats going on I said 'im just tucking my mum in and leaving.  the nurse who left the room a minute ago was so rude!'

She says 'thats because visiting hours are over and you have to leave'

Im like 'ok, first i've heard, we've been caring for mum the whole time she has been in, and as I said to that nurse I am just finishing up and then leaving'

she says 'WHEN are you leaving??'

I said 'what part of what I said don't you understand?'

She says 'who says I don't understand?'

I said 'what the hell is going on here? Im tucking my mum in and leaving'

She said 'no need to be like that, your mum is already IN bed so why are you still here?'

nno2.gif

I cant believe what she just said!  I try to think of something useful to say, as it was just so pointless rude and argumentative.. I say 'I am getting pretty angry at whats happening! If you wanna have a debate with me, can you wait a minute and I will come out there so it doesn't upset my mum?'

She said 'so you are angry?  OK'... walks out and calls security!

The whole time I still had mums hand in mine and putting the pillow under her arm!

I tried to stay calm for mums sake.  I got her two bed side tables and made sure she could reach the buzzer, phone, water, etc...  which makes her feel secure.  Kissed her on the head and left saying Its OK to her as she looked so worried!

Walking out I saw the security guards who I see every day as I am there every day.  I asked if they just got called to the ward, they say yea. I said Dont worry it was for me because I was tucking my mum in to bed!

I just wanted to bawl my eyes out sad.gif  Absolutely uncalled for and spiteful.  Can't believe it sad.gif

#306 beaglebaby

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hugest of hugs, what a terrible way to be treated.

#307 risa80

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

God HM, what a crazy journey this has been sad.gif

There's just no words for how the hospital has treated your mum and you and your family. Just so wrong.

Freo - can't stand that hospital. Had chest pains recently (have a heart condition) and when told I was going to an ER said bugger off instead because I was not going there. Unfortunately not much better treatment at a private hospital ER with a crazy doctor who was convinced, with all my heart problems, I must have arthritis in the neck causing chest pain lol - even though I said my neck is fine, she had $230 worth of x-rays ordered to prove it wasn't and of course she was wrong. So what I'm saying is I guess there are bad ones all over the place. Have found a bad share in cardios also. But to treat you with such disrespect when you are just caring for your mother? I really think you need to put in a complaint about those latest ones. sad.gif

Your an awesome daughter and your Mum sounds like a gorgeous lady original.gif

Hoping she keeps turning that corner and improving even more original.gif

#308 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thanks BB and risa

But to treat you with such disrespect when you are just caring for your mother? I really think you need to put in a complaint about those latest ones.

thats basically how I am feeling. Actually I am feeling royally sorry for myself (seperately to mums dodgy treatment) about the treatment at the hospital over the past 3 weeks or so.  It must sound like a total victim mentality but seriously there have been a number of doozy terrible things, against myself AND my mum.  I am so upset sad.gif

Edited by HillmanMinx, 26 April 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#309 tinkster23

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hillmanminx, I've been lurking here but not commented until today.

I wanted to urge you to write a letter to the public relations part of the hospital involved (is it freo?) and tell them what has gone on. Its just not cool. I can't believe a nurse would call security when you were tucking your mum into bed sad.gif
I'm a nurse and that just makes me ashamed, its a horrible way to treat someone. Please write the letter, let the hospital, the managers and everyone else know that its just not on.

I'm glad you're mum is doing better tho.

#310 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

No not freo.  I'll be writing to them and CC'ing the minister for health and freaking anyone else I can think of now.  That was the last straw   closedeyes.gif

Edited by HillmanMinx, 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#311 Julie3Girls

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Wow, sounds like they handled this all soooo badly. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

The only thing I can think of is that they aren't aware of just how much you are doing for your mother.  I can understand them needing you to leave - once you are in a shared room situation they need to enforce the rules for everyone.  Someone needs to take over what you are doing to help care for your mother, if they don't want you there.

But the way they went about it was disgraceful sad.gif

#312 boatiebabe

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

HM I am another who has lurked mostly - I did post early in the piece.

I was away for a couple of weeks and I was so happy to come back and read that miraculously your mother was getting better - I was so happy for all of you!

My mother passed away almost a year ago and got some of the most God awful treatment from doctors and nurses. She had a 10cm cancer tumor growing into her stomach, lungs, diaphragm etc that somehow no test could find - despite her unutterable pain.

She was told it was all in her head - the doctors and nurses were indifferent, rude and difficult etc etc so I do know some of what you are feeling. Miraculously they finally found what was up and then for the three days before she died they all turned really lovely. Anyway that's my baggage.

Hearing this from you now makes me so ANGRY and sad for you and your mum. What on earth is wrong with these people???? Anything I can write up or research for you (contacting media about your plight), I am willing to do for you so that you can concentrate on your mum.

I am so upset that I am here crying at my computer. It is so wrong! Can I do anything to help?

#313 Sam Wheat

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Here I was thinking 'No news is good news'. It's great news that your mum is doing so much better, is it getting to the point where coming home is on the cards? Hopefully, so the sooner you are out of that s*it hole of a hospital, the better.

#314 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

boatiebabe - no nothing hun, but thank you for the offer.  I am SO sorry to read what your mother and you went through - it is terrible sad.gif  nno2.gif  

I can understand them needing you to leave - once you are in a shared room situation they need to enforce the rules for everyone.

Yea I would have been happy to finish up and leave and rejig our roster to suit the nurses or rules etc... a chance would have been a fine thing.  Politely notifying me of whatever and giving me a moment to finish up what I was doing would have been fine.  

This nurse and her NUM had no intention of being reasonable they both had an issue with me even though I had never seen or spoken to either before.  It appeared very spiteful to me, I can only think that they listened to staffroom gossip about what went on last week/week before.  

I was stunned at their attitude and calling the security guards was pure malice, not at all done to achieve a reasonable outcome or due to danger etc.    

#315 FeralMinx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Here I was thinking 'No news is good news'.
It is too original.gif  Mums heart is still in terrible shape of course and she still has masses of fluid (she is usually 50 kg but looks like a size 20 from the waist down and can barely weight bare on her legs), even though she is back on frusemide - its not shifting.  She is still seriously ill but MUCH better than 2 weeks ago and she may be able to come home next week.

#316 DreamFeralisations

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hillman Minx - did you ever get to see a Social Worker?  Or the patient advocate?

I can understand them wanting the rules to be followed "out in the open" but they obviously failed bedside manner 101 in the last (and the prior and the prior...) instance.

hugs to you and your family.

#317 new~mum~reenie

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

What the hell is wrong with these people?

There is a way to approach these things - if they don't like someone being there, they could bring it up at a better time....

PLEASE, try and get to a social worker/patient advocate.
Just found this list of contacts with Freo patient liaison contact details on -
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/electivesurger...ontacts_AHS.pdf

Write them an email - outline your requests have been ignored by staff and this is your final attempt before going to the Ombudsman. That your mothers treatment has been lacking and botched multiple times, and that staff behavior has been rude etc.

Good thing you have this thread as a reference of events

#318 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Mum may come home soon so I am just going to leave it and deal with it all when I have the time.  I really want them to address my/mums swag of experiences and say how they are going to change things to avoid them in the future.

Hillman Minx - did you ever get to see a Social Worker? Or the patient advocate?
No she never bothered to come see me and I was over chasing and begging so I thought whatever, lets see if she ever follows up.  She has not.  

#319 ~Sorceress~

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

The system has really let you and your mother down sad.gif . I really hope your sharing with us has the side benefit of being a good record of all the many avoidable nasties you encountered! ohmy.gif

Fingers crossed your mum is home soon and you can have a break for a while! original.gif

#320 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Mums home original.gif

Hospice, Complex Care, Rehab in the home, HACC, all sorted and should start next week!  

Now to find mum a geriatrician, get her eyes and teeth sorted (both gone down hill) and find a way to adjust to our new life.

One minor irk was that she isn't going to get wound care even though she has a sacral would (its healing nicely) and her legs are still (loaded with fluid) raw, weeping and heavily bandaged.  I have no issue doing it but it would have been good to have someone come through and make sure they are going OK.

Aside from that, the discharge today went well and I am happy to see the back of the hospital thats for sure.  As is mum original.gif  Not to mention she has come home fairly well and in good spirits and not dead biggrin.gif

YAY!

Edited by HillmanMinx, 27 April 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#321 ~elle~

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Can you get Silver Chain to do Nursing cares for your Mum at home??

I can't believe you can't get help for wound care in the home.. thats pretty bad discharge planning.

#322 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I can't believe you can't get help for wound care in the home.. thats pretty bad discharge planning.
  They said her legs aren't wounds!  They are packed up and bandaged from toe to upper shin, raw red and weeping CLEAR fluid and the fact that its clear fluid means it isn't a 'wound' apparently.  And the sacral wound is healing and now that she is moving better, should get better.  I got the nurse to double check whether we could have some help and no.

Silver chain hospice just called and gave us their 24 hour number to call them if mum needs additional pain medicine etc.  They said she was discharged with hydromorphone I said NO the hospital said hospice would deal with that.  She said no hospital should have discharged mum with it...

She called the hospital to sort it out and now the hospital are saying they PUT A LARGE BOTTLE OF DILORDIT (sp) IN MY HANDS ON DISCHARGE!  I don't even know what that is but it must be hydromorphone or something because its a schedule 8 drug.  They did not give me that nor mention it nor is it on mums discharge papers.  They sent me home with 2 pages of scripts (non dilordit) and 5 sleeping pills, 3 fentynyl patches and a bottle of lactulol.  Its still in the packaging as I haven't had chance to open it!

**** still getting issues with the hospital NOW!

#323 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

just googled, its Dilaudid and it is hydromorphone.  As if they just handed that to me without any instructions and with it being the only drug not listed on any of her paperwork!

Edited by HillmanMinx, 27 April 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#324 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

sorted.  I didn't take off with a schedule 8 drug and deny it LOL - the NUM on the medical ward is currently asking the doctor to write a script for it which i will go pick up.

#325 FeralMinx

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Turns out it wasn't sorted, the doctors at the hospital couldn't decide whether or not she should have it.  Their solution was to write the script but I was not to pick it up tonight but if it turns out she could have used it then I could pick it up tomorrow, maybe, depending on whether someone else said something else about it in the meantime  wacko.gif ... in other words, the doctor on duty didn't have enough confidence and authority to make a decision, even after discussions with the junior doctors on mums case...  again - wtf is wrong at that hospital?

Anyway I didn't argue it I just thought oh FFS screw it we will hold out till I find my mum a decent GP and hope in the meantime she doesn't go downhill.

BUT the silver chain nurse wasn't having any of that!  She stepped in, contacted her own doc who organised a script and had it filled for me at a local chemist.  That was all done from 100 kms away by people who are totally remote to us - versus the hospital full of staff who couldn't decide their way out of a paper bag.  Sorry, I've had it with that place.

But yay for silver chain biggrin.gif  Lets hope we don't need the medicine now.  But its good to have it as a line of action if mum starts struggling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.