Who has a bday around Christmas?
Did it bother you growing up?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 anon today

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

As the topic says, I am keen to hear from people who actually have a birthday on or close to Christmas. I would like to know if it bothered you growing up or whether it was just one of those things that you never know any different so you didn't care?

I'm in two minds whether to TTC this month as based on AF bub would be due Dec 29.

I know that it can take ages to get pg, but last time around we were lucky enough to fall straight away, so I feel there is a high chance I could end up with a Christmas/New Years baby and I'm not sure how I feel about the disadvantages of being a Christmas bub.

WDYT?

Edited by anon today, 04 April 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#2 Rumply

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

DH is born on the 29th... he hated it growing up.

- combined presents
- no parties, as everyone is partied out or on holidays
- everyone is just too busy or recouperating
- it is generally family time at that time of year, so it feels awkward trying to organise anything.

When I was planning on TTC we made the decision to sit March to end of May out... trying to avoid that Dec-Jan time of year.

#3 Apageintime

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

I have a VERY early January birthday.

There are pro's and cons. It's nice always having time off on my birthday, but it is an expensive time of year for everyone and often when I was at school people were away so I couldn't have big parties. The double gifting was also annoying as my siblings got 2 gifts, but I didn't.

My mother also said being heavily PG in summer was hell, and that having a new born in the crazy heat wasn't much fun either.

#4 angelinaballerina

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

My birthday is December 31st.

It never really bothered me at all. My parents always separated both Christmas and my birthday like they did with my siblings who have birthdays at other times of the year

Sometimes relatives liked to by joint presents, which I didn't like. But not really bothered by it now. Although I do make sure my husband doesn't do joint presents for me now Tounge1.gif

In regards to birthday parties, I used to either have one before the end of school or mid January.

#5 katieface84

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I was due 25th Dec, born 27th Dec. Mum said it was the worst Christmas ever, lots of pre-labour pains, etc.

Bothered me a bit growing up, didnt have many birthday parties as friends were often to busy with family holiday stuff or actually away for the holidays.

Got lots of "joint" presents for Chrissie and birthday, which was a bit of a crock haha.

Mum and Dad always tried to make it special though, which was nice. Doesnt bother me at all now!

#6 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I never minded it growing up. But I had a party every year, and would usually have it a week or 2 out from the actual day (for more separation from xmas).
I didn't get too many 'combined' presents.

#7 danielle1985

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

My little sister (13) is the 20/12. She just has a party in either November or February. She doesn't mind the combined presents as she is a quality over quantity girl.

My son is christmas eve. As he is only 1, I will let you know if he hates it wwwwwwaaaayyyyy down the track  wink.gif

#8 usand3

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi

My DD was born on the 21/12 (due on 10/01), i sometimes feel a bit sorry for her getting all her gifts for the year with in a few days and it means we have to think ahead to what she might want/need later in the yr and give it to her in December.  I wouldn't ever even take it in to consideration when TTC though.  It just (IMO only, obviously) seems so small on the scale of importance that it really isn't something i would even think about if i were going to TTC again (which i'm not original.gif).

#9 Roselet

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

There are a lot of late Dec birthdays in my family, and everyone agrees it sucks. We threw a big 50th for the person with one of the worst dates, and he said it was the first successful birthday party he had EVER had. In 50 years, that's just sad.
Noone has time or inclination to make an effort for another party, noone has the time or money to make a proper effort with gifts, lots of people are away, lots of people forget because they are using so much headspace dealing with Christmas.
I'd wait the extra month.

#10 HatLover

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

I do, and as a kid I don't recall having a problem with it, although didn't have too many parties due to people being away.  My Mum put her foot down when I was born about the combined Xmas/B'day present, but when I got older I used it to my advantage to get one better present.  Also, I have never worked on my b'day...so that is an awesome bonus.

#11 Nosmas

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Mine is boxing day.  I always loved it but I always got separate presents (until older), I would have friend party earlier but that meant an extra day to celebrate.  My parents would also give me a present (something I would of been really wanting) in July.  I wouldn't want to have my birthday leading up to Christmas though as everyone is busier.
My cousin's birthday is Christmas day, they would celebrate Christmas until lunch time, than hang up birthday decorations and celebrate her birthday.
As with everything, it is how the parents handle it, mine did a great job, and my dh and kids still do as well original.gif

#12 Ange

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

DD's birthday is Dec 29th and whilst it isn't the BEST, we make sure we still do a special day for her. We have come to realise that if we want a party we need to do it either 2weeks before or early Jan and people tend to go away etc.

We also make sure the Christmas Tree comes down before her Birthday and that her presents are wrapped in Birthday paper, not left over Christmas paper LOL original.gif

For me, the negatives aren't big enough to suggest stopping  TTC.

#13 Allie_D

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

My DH's birthday is Christmas Day!

I think growing up he didn't like it much, and even now his family don't really do anything for him, apart from buy a cheap mudcake from the supermarket!  All his siblings don't get him anything, just a Christmas present with a "Oh that covers your birthday as well" thrown in for good measure.  And that's if he's lucky to get anything!  His extended family give him Christmas cards with Happy Birthday written in them!

I make sure my family goes to a bit of extra effort though!  On Christmas morning it's all about my DH.  I give him his birthday pressies and we don't really mention Christmas.  Then when we go to have Christmas dinner with my family we all sit down and have 'Birthday time' before any Christmas stuff gets done.  Everyone gets him a separate Birthday present/s that MUST be wrapped in Birthday paper (hehe) and a birthday card.  He gets to open them all before we do anything else original.gif

#14 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Born 21 Dec.

Same as others, I missed out on parties as a kid. Everyone was away, busy etc.

Combined pressies - hated it.

My family are great in that they've never done combined pressies, always used b'day wrap and not Chrissy stuff, separate cards etc.

My inlaws now don't get it and I had to have the extended inlaw family Christmas dinner on my birthday last year - hated it! (But I really should be over it at 34!)

I would try to avoid it, but if it happened anyway I'd just be really careful about it like my folks were/are.

One good thing - nobody forgets your birthday! happy.gif

#15 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Allie_D - you're a legend!!!!  I'm sure you don't even realise how much your DH appreciates all that!

#16 Z-girls rock

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

both my Dh and sister in law do (hers is really close). Neither of them like it.

They both always go on about how; People are busy, forget your birthday. when they were little they always got one present for both birthday and christmas (which shouldnt matter but does when your siblings get two because their birthdays are not close to christmas). When you are older it is hard to make plans with friends because of Christmas parties, holidays away, family things always come first etc etc etc.... you get the picture. It always makes your birthday take 2nd place.

#17 ~Bells~

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

[/quote]

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 04/04/2012, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DH's birthday is Christmas Day!

I think growing up he didn't like it much, and even now his family don't really do anything for him, apart from buy a cheap mudcake from the supermarket!  All his siblings don't get him anything, just a Christmas present with a "Oh that covers your birthday as well" thrown in for good measure.  And that's if he's lucky to get anything!  His extended family give him Christmas cards with Happy Birthday written in them!

I make sure my family goes to a bit of extra effort though!  On Christmas morning it's all about my DH.  I give him his birthday pressies and we don't really mention Christmas.  Then when we go to have Christmas dinner with my family we all sit down and have 'Birthday time' before any Christmas stuff gets done.  Everyone gets him a separate Birthday present/s that MUST be wrapped in Birthday paper (hehe) and a birthday card.  He gets to open them all before we do anything else original.gif

This is great! My sister's bday is Xmas Eve and my parents have always made a big deal out of her birthday, with no combined gifts etc. In fact, growing up, I sometimes felt jealous because of all the extra attention she got for her birthday to "make it special because her birthday was overshadowed by Xmas".

She still grumbles about her birthday, and we are always on a count down until her birthday, not Xmas! She's in her 20s now, with her own little boy, but our family, her DH and his family always make it special for her (and I've long been over my jealousy biggrin.gif )

An ex BF's mother was Xmas day, and his family (and me when we were togther) always made a big deal for her, though they opted to celebrate her birthday as Xmas Eve.

QUOTE (greenthumbs @ 04/04/2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allie_D - you're a legend!!!!  I'm sure you don't even realise how much your DH appreciates all that!

Yes absolutely! I'm sure he thinks you and your family are amazing for how special you make the day for him!

#18 sparassidae

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

My two eldest children have birthdays 23rd and 21st. So far (12 and 10yrs) they haven't mentioned any problem with the timing of their birthdays. We have always insisted on separate presents, they have their party at least 2 weeks early, usually beginning of December, and they like the fact we have a whole week of celebrations one after the other. Family who we only see on Christmas are more than happy to give birthday wishes/cards/presents first well before anything Christmas related.

#19 Flutters

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I think it depends on how you manage it - I am two weeks before christmas, so not as close as others, but my parents were always set on keeping them seperate. I share a birthday with my mum (which I think is super special  wub.gif ) and she hated it growing up, so she never let anyone give me a joint present, and always made a fuss about my birthday.

The cons are that so many people were away for parties, and these days it's hard work coming up with a birthday and christmas present. Also if you want anything at any other point during the year you have to buy it yourself!

#20 alyssatahli

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Mine is 16 Dec, DD1 is 2 Dec.

It has never worried DD1, her birthday is far enough away from Christmas to bother her.

I always hated it as a child. Everywhere you went there was Christmas music! Everyone was always too busy with Christmas celebrations in the week leading up to Christmas to make time for my birthday. My family was good about it but friends etc were just too busy. Back when I was a child it was always school holidays on my birthday and I felt ripped that everyone was made a fuss of at school on their birthday and I always missed out.

Now it's not an issue for me.

Edited by alyssatahli, 04 April 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#21 **Xena**

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Not me but my 6yo is a Dec 30th baby.

Doesn't seem to bother him. We have his party a month early so his school friends can come as well as a small family celebration on his actualy birthday. He has also never received a double present.

All good tthumbs.gif

#22 thelms

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Mine is the 27th and it has never bothered me. My family have always celebrated my birthday separately. DD2 was due on the 29th last year but arrived on the 26th, glad she avoided Christmas and my birthday! I will always ensure she feels special on her day.

#23 caitiri

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Rumply @ 04/04/2012, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- combined presents
- it is generally family time at that time of year, so it feels awkward trying to organise anything.

When I was planning on TTC we made the decision to sit March to end of May out... trying to avoid that Dec-Jan time of year.

This but its my birthday
Also christmas time is always when family drama seems to pop up so i had a few birthdays ruined by that

#24 Strawberries

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Rumply @ 04/04/2012, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- combined presents

THIS!

My DS#2 was born on 24/12... he was very much planned, but after taking 9months to concieve DS#1 we didn't think we would be PG so quickly... but alas, we did!

I worry about people combining gifts, we make a concious decision not to do this.  and gently suggest you family if they could do the same.
his 2 parties so far have been VERY low key, hopefully when he is older we will make his 'party' date 24th November so its not too hectic for all.

It was my worst christmas. not being there on christmas morning with DS1, getting permission to come home from hospital for 1 hour, ALL the family being there and shoving presents everywhere, my ASD son not coping with how quick and hectic it al was. hubby had a tummy bug and was useless... i went back to hospital and just cried. it was aweful. but, that will only happen once!

it has mostly negatives... so i would not TTC then if i were given the chance!

#25 Julie3Girls

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Guess it depends on how you/your family manage it.  

and even now his family don't really do anything for him, apart from buy a cheap mudcake from the supermarket! All his siblings don't get him anything, just a Christmas present with a "Oh that covers your birthday as well" thrown in for good measure. And that's if he's lucky to get anything!

See, to me, this isn't a Christmas issue, it's a family issue original.gif My DH's family don't do birthday presents. He doesn't get anything from his siblings or his parents usually.
My brothers and I don't do gifts either. My parents do though.

The birthday in the holidays .. you just schedule parties before or after the holidays. It's the same with other holidays - my birthday is almost always in the Easter holidays, so I never really had the birthday thing at school. A lot of people go away in the Easter holidays too.
I've noticed with school that the kids with holidays tend to have them acknowledged at school either before or after the holidays. They don't actually miss out.

There are always "bad timings" in term so of birthday parties - DD1 often hits the long weekend in June. DD3 clashes with Father's day. Mine is at Easter.  DD2 is early December - you would think far enough way to miss the Christmas stuff, but I have to plan her parties so far in advance, because everyone is trying to have their Christmas party early, or the late Dec/Early Jan kids are having their party a month early, and there are end of school events, and dance concerts etc.

The only really big issue with a close to Christmas birthday is that it makes it a whole year between gift giving. Not so much of an issue for adults but for kids, a year is a very long time. And their interests change so much in the space of a year, either because of the latest trend, or the child simply growing.
I balance this out a little by keeping birthday presents not too huge. They really just get the one main gift from us on their birthday. But I will often buy them little stuff throughout the year, either something little each, or something to share, like a new boardgame.
We also have a couple of people who always give the girls money for their birthday or Christmas. DD2 has worked out on her own that it's much more fun to hold onto that, and buy herself something later in the year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.