What do you count as your length of labour?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Rumply

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sorry, title is a bit of a mouthful... what I mean is....

When did you count the start time of your labour and how long it went for?

I have always said approx 29 hours, I started contractions at 3am, then gave birth at 8am the following day. However, the midwife says it was only about 16 hours. I never had regular contractions, and when I saw the midwife at 8pm (the day they started), I was 6-7cm dialated. She decided that at about 4pm is when it would have really kicked in, because for a period the contractions were more regular than they had been all day, though they didn't stay like that after 4.  All I know, is that I was in varying degrees of pain for 29 hours...

Just curious more than anything. My new midwife said I should expect about half the time of the first one. So do I go by the 29 hours or the 16 hours? Not that it will really make a difference, as I think this will be a completely different experience to last time anyway.

#2 imamumto3

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I think the midwives count the start of labour as being when active labour starts, so regular contractions

#3 spersephone

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Personally, from the first twinge that is clearly a contraction.  I realise that there are different stages of labour, but at the time, I couldn't tell which one I was in, I just knew I was having a baby.

#4 3_for_me

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

When I was induced(by ARM only) with my third they weren't prepared to say I was in labour until regular contractions started.   My waters were broken at around 9am but I didn't start getting proper regular contractions until around 1pm from recollection.

#5 Bel Rowley

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I count from first contraction. Obviously if I'd had one contraction on its own, and not another for 12 hours, I wouldn't count it as labour having started. But with both of my labours, the first contraction was the start of regular contractions.

#6 mummygirl

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

For my first, it was counted from the regular contractions that I couldn't talk through. That was 22 hours.
For my 2nd, similar thing, toe curling contractions. That was 7 hours.
And for my 3rd, it was from when I called them from home till the birth. It was an hour and a half.

#7 Rumply

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hmmm, now I remember getting very regular contractions when they popped my waters... they were on top of each other. So that would have been 2.5 hours. And about 2 hours of that was pushing type contractions (I had a lip and was told to wait another 30 mins of not pushing through these... ahhh the joy of it all!).

#8 niggles

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Both of my labours have started with irregular contractions up to 20 minutes apart so I take it from when they are regularly 10 minutes apart.

#9 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think I've been in labour for a week already but I.m counting what I regard as pre labour cos I.m. Here for the first time and I've been in various states of paint throughout this pregnancy biggrin.gif

#10 roses99

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I count from the start of regular contractions. With my first, the first twinge was the first regular contraction and DS was born 2hrs 45 mins later.

With DD, I had period type pain after being induced, but nothing beyond that until the first real contraction kicked in about six hours later. Just like her brother, she was born 2hrs 45 mins after that.

#11 summer80

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I count what I consider active labour - regular, painful contractions which, for me, kicked in straight after my water broke. So 3.5 hours approx.

I did have about 12 hours of pre-labour prior to that but as the contractions were irregular and not too painful (managed to sleep through some of it, do some shopping, go for a walk etc) I dont count it.

#12 Ireckon

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Active labour - so regular contractions.

for #1, the very first contraction kickstarted them at 3 mintures apart. DD was born 3h40min after the first contraction.

#2, it was 8 hrs from first contraction, but only about 3 hours of active labour (which was about 45 of pushing)

#3 I was induced, about 8 hours from first contraction, but only 1 1/2 hrs of active labour

#13 Bluenomi

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

My midwife asked if I wanted to put the start of labour from the time I arrived at the hospital or earlier. I went with the hospital arrival for the paperwork but still count it from when I woke up with the first contraction. I didn't have any pre labour and went from mild contractions to full on labour fairly quickly so it didn't make a huge lot of difference.

So from the very begining to birth was 11.5 hours but the hospital paperwork says about 6ish.

#14 Wigglemama

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Established labour is what is counted by midwives and obstetric staff, not pre labour, even though pre labour can be exhausting and painful. This is due to the pressure of having to intervene if you are not seen as "progressing" as you should, due to risk factors attached to a long labour, particularly PPH and fetal distress. I would be going with 16 hours.

#15 SoTired

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

From the moment I got my 1st contraction- 3 hours.
From the time of painful contractions- 3 hours!

For me there was no difference, my labour was 3 hours in total!

Ob says I must have been dilating for a while beforehand but just didnt feel it as I presented at the hospital 1.5 hours before DD birth fully dilated and I was ready to push well before that!

Most ob/midwives count it from being 6-7cm dilated and/or having regular, painful contractions.

That being said, I never had regular contractions at all.

Bit of a contentious issue I think, esp for those who are competitive and like telling people about their 30, 40, 50+ hour labours! Realistically, if you speak with a midwofe or ob, it may have only been less than 10 hours..

Buy Me A Pony !- You go girl! Best wishes for a brilliant birth!

#16 new~mum~reenie

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I think it was recorded as starting at 7pm, as this was when I noticed the Braxton hicks were now regular at 5 min... They were a bit ouchie, but nothing to be overly bothered about.

They slowly increased and demanded more of my focus through the night, but still not 'full on'

For me, when it really hit and I knew it wasn't a drill, was when there was a sudden shift and a battering ram hit my cervix. I launched onto all fours, threw up, and really felt this was hard work! That happened at about 4.30am.

MW arrived at about 5am and I was 6-7 cms

DS was born 9.30...

Edited by new~mum~reenie, 04 April 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#17 PurpleNess

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

I started from when it really kicked in, I'd say active labor. I felt my first crampy twinge at 7am & gave birth 6am the following morning, I certainly didn't count the whole day as I just got on with my normal routine until I was sure this was the real thing:-)

#18 MahnaMahna

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Definitely only as "active labour" which is when the contractions are regular, bloody painful and I could barely breath through them. My MW wrote on my notes when my active labour started so DD was 17 hours and DS was 30 hours. Intervention was just about to happen with DS (even though he coped amazingly well with the long labour, no issues at all with his HR or anything) but as soon as they suggested it I had to push laughing2.gif I think it gave us the kick up the butt we needed!

I didn't labour naturally though, I was induced for both and it seemed to kick in, dilate and progress really quickly until active labour at which point progression was really slow and steady.

#19 soontobegran

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Most mums take their first painful contraction as the beginning of labour but that is not the 'medical' definition of labour. sad.gif
It is from the onset of painful REGULAR contractions which does not include the pre labour that can go on for days and weeks.
The contraction pattern needs to be showing a reduction in the time between contractions and the length of the contraction.

Don't be disappointed if the length of labour recorded does not seem to match what you think, the staff all know that most people have already had some pretty uncomfortable contractions before you get yourself established.
It is common for a subsequent baby's labour to be about half the time of the first but that is 'established' labour according to the hospital notes.
Doesn't always happen that way of course.

EFS

Edited by soontobegran, 04 April 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#20 virtuallotus

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

From when regular, frequent contractions started. For my last kid, 'proper' contractions started at around 9am and I gave birth at around 11:20am. However, I had been having painful contractions the entire night before and napping between them (they ranged between 40-20 mintues apart). I didn't particularly want to go to hospital too early.

#21 BreezaH

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Both my labours only ever had regular (every 2-3m from the get-go) contractions. First labour was waters breaking then contractions beginning immediately after at 1am, DS1 was born at 8.45am.

Second I had my first contraction at 6pm, waters broke as I arrived at hospital at 8pm and DS2 was born at 9.16pm.

#22 PurpleChicken

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

For me I count it from when they started the drip to induce me.   I know it took a while before regular, full-on contractions started, but I have no idea when that was.

So I'd say my labour was 8.5hrs, but if you asked a mid-wife, it would have been less than that.

#23 irises

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I asked the midwife this at my appointment on Monday actually.  As PPs have said, you count it from the time regular/painful contractions kick in i.e. active/established labour where there's no going back!

The midwife told me if you have to stop and hold on, and breathe through the contractions you're more likely to be in established labour. Another question they ask is 'Did you wake up your partner?' - if the answer's no then you're probably not in active labour!

So my first labour was only 5 hours, even though I experienced the first semi-painful tightenings the evening before, got a few hours sleep and then was timing regular tightenings throughout the night quietly in bed while my DP slept beside me. It wasn't til I got up at around 7am that things really ramped up, I threw up, contractions were very painful and happening more than every five minutes and we called the taxi original.gif

#24 CallMeProtart

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

I consider it to be when I started getting regular and painful contractions.

A midwife did tell me that I wasn't 'in labour' despite 24 hours of 5-minutely excruciating contractions, because I wasn't dilated yet - if she'd been closer I would have punched her.

#25 Freycha

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

From the time my waters broke and i started having contractions was 66 hours, but the hosptial records take it from when you're around 5cms dialated and having regular contractions less than 5 mins apart, so that was around 15 hours. right from the get go my contractions would get to about 6-7mins apart, very painful and then just slow down out to about 15mins apart,and then start the process all over again...the midwives were very funny and kept on saying "don't worry love the second one will be much quicker!"

It is a bit disheartening when you think you'll be well into active labour and getting close to fully diallated only to find out you're 3-4cms. But as they say, good things come to those who wait rolleyes.gif

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.