Expecting Multiples #113

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

#26 T2Mum

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Lots of good luck for tomorrow Renee!! 34 weeks is a great achievement and having the steroids on board will make a huge difference. Thanks for jumping on to give us an update - especially when I am sure you have so much else on your mind!!

Jess - wow 600kms from Perth. That is a loooooong way. Hopefully your bubbies will stay put and you won't have to travel all that way! It is hard enough being pregnant with twins let alone contemplating the possibility of having to deliver that far away. So glad to hear that everything is going well so far.

Hope everyone is having a good Anzac Day. I've been trying to work out how to store our two strollers in the luggage compartment of the Multivan. I think I need some sort of storage solution that allows them to be clipped to the side wall so they can be stored upright, as otherwise they are going to take up all the boot space! Any ideas???

#27 newyearbaby

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi everyone,

Renee - fantastic work on getting this far. 34 weeks is a great gestation.
Hopefully all goes well today!!!!!! Thinking of you x

T2 - How did your glucose test go the other day? Have you tried hookey straps or bungy ropes, whichever is the correct name? You know the elastic things with hooks on each end. We use them if we are trying to stand the pram up in a non-natural way, and I must say I have wheeled it straight into the van and hooked it up with the brake on. That's only if I have one kid in there, and can't be bothered folding it down. I do move the child out of the pram of course. There are heaps of hooks you can attach the straps to in the van.

Jess - keep your legs closed until 36 weeks. 600km is way too far to travel in labour!!! Wow!!! What a logistical pain in the butt. Good luck.

I'm 32 weeks today. It's really hit home that there isn't long to go. I've finally gone through the baby clothes to work out what's missing, and have a load on the line drying. I have 33 x 0000 singlets. May have gone overboard there slightly, especially cos the babies are looking pretty big. Next week I'll start on the baby linen. And next weekend we'll set up the cot and change area in our room. So hopefully it's all ready by the 34 week mark. Best order my feeding pillow now!!! I think that's all I have to do. Argh!!!

#28 T2Mum

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

NYB - you sound VERY organised!!! That's a lot of singlets!!!

Failed the glucose test :-( but apparently only just. Now I have to do the 2 hour test. It took me ages to drink the sugary drink (maybe about 25 minutes into the hour). Do you think that could have affected the test results? I'll certainly be skulling it this time even if it makes me throw up on the floor! My OB seems pretty confident I will pass the 2 hour test. I hope so!!

#29 *mylittleprince*

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hi everyone

Just catching up with this thread.

T2 - I've heard it's quite common to just fail the first glucose test and then pass the next one so hopefully it's complication free for you. I would hate to deal with GD on top of a twin pregnancy, yikes!

Renmaro - all the best for the birth tomorrow and well done for getting to 34 weeks, that is a great gestation.

Hope everyone else is well.

I'm 14 weeks on Sunday and really feeling so sick and tired, hoping it will lift soon but was sick with DS till 20 weeks so we'll see. My tummy has popped out and I look the same as when I was about 24 weeks with my DS which is scary.

Is anyone buying a travel system (capsule that goes into the pram)? We've decided to buy a Mountain Buggy Duet and am seriously thinking about buying two carseats that clip into the pram. It is expensive but think it will make life a bit easier with two babies and a toddler. All our family live overseas and I'm a SAHM so it'll be me and the kids all day.

Have a great weekend.

#30 T2Mum

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Congrats on hitting the second trimester My Little Prince! Hope that you feel better soon. It really is amazing how much your belly pops in a twin pregnancy isn't it???

We are going to use a travel system for our twins - Bugaboo Donkey base and two Maxi Cosi capsules (using ISOFIX ones to make life easier). Must unpack the Donkey this weekend and work out how it is going to fit in the back of the Multivan! Once the twins grow out of the capsules (which will probably be around the twelve month mark) we will switch to a double Maclaren stroller for our car stroller.

PS Depending on where your family live overseas it may be cheaper for them to get the pram and send it to you? We bought our Donkey in the US and it was a LOT cheaper than Aus. It is a big outlay but I figure we will recoup a fair bit on Ebay when we finally sell it.

Edited by T2Mum, 27 April 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#31 jess1980

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Just wondering when you guys felt your babies mOve? I'm 18+3 and so far nothing I thought for sure this time round I would feel then early. With my first I didn't feel anything until 26weeks due to the placenta position and second time it was about 20 weeks. I'm paranoid something is wrong my ob likes to tell me the worse case scenarios so have that in the back of my mind!

#32 newyearbaby

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi Jess, with DS1 it was about 16 weeks, and with DS2 it was about 14 weeks. With the twins it was about 24 weeks, due to anterior placentas. So I pretty much sat there for 8 weeks, concentrating, hoping to feel any type of flutter, but nothing really continuous and definite happened until about 24 or so. I was a nervous wreck about it but each appointment showed everything was perfect so it helped. For a few days anyway.

Now they are bigger I am struggling to know that each twin is moving. If there isn't any movement on a particular side, then I poke and prod until I feel them squirm.

#33 T2Mum

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hi Jess - same for me - I have felt heaps less movement with this pregnancy than my previous two singleton pregnancies. Even at 24 weeks the movement was very intermittent. My OB was not surprised as apparently the bubs are turned inwards towards each other.

PS Quick question for everyone - has your OB done steroid shots as a precaution, and if so when?

#34 newyearbaby

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

There has been no mention of steroid injections with me. I think if they plan a caesar or induction ahead of time (not sure what gestation - maybe 36 weeks or earlier?) or premature labour is likely then that is when they look at it. Not really sure.

#35 jess1980

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Had a appt with my ob today both bubs are fine strong heartbeats. Cervix is still long 4.7cm so hasn't changed from the 12 week scan I had blooded pressure is finally normal it wasn't particularly high but my bp is normally 100/70 so was a bit cOncerned last appt when it was 139/89 now it's 119/71 I also think I'm not stressing as much now as I've started planning everything got it all written down so I do t forget plus I bought this really great book called juggling twins and it's given me some great ideas. I think I felt the babies move last night actually woke me up then it stopped! But both babies are facing inwards so it's no wonder I haven't felt them. Went and put a stryder plus pram on layby yesterday got and absolute bargain pram plus seat for $550. I did want the BJCS but I cant justify spending that type of money when I have so much else to buy all I have from my 2 daughters is my eldest daughters cot that is being used as a toddler bed for my youngest everything else I gave away as I wasn't having any more children wish Id kept the stuff now

#36 T2Mum

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Great news Jess that both babies are doing well and bargain on the pram! Makes sense to get good deals where you can as two extra babies certainly challenges the budget.

Good news for me today - I passed the 2 hour glucose tolerance test with fllying colours. I definitely think I stuffed up the first test by not drinking the drink fast enough.  blush.gif  At least I am in the clear now.

#37 newyearbaby

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

That's great news about your test T2 and good news that all is going well for you Jess.

33 week mark and everything just got way harder again. I couldn't function this morning. I was fine when I woke up and had breakfast and my vitamins as normal. Within 30 minutes, I was just so weak and couldn't stand up any more. I sat at the kitchen table and had a cry as I had no idea what would work to pull it together to get the kids to school. I ended up dragging myself to the coffee machine and made myself a strong one. It worked. How pathetic!

#38 T2Mum

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hey whatever works!! Be kind to yourself NYB! 33 weeks IS hard work!

Edited by T2Mum, 03 May 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#39 -Pz-

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi ladies - just found out yesterday that we're expecting twins in December! Fingers crossed, as we had a mc in January.  I'm still in shock about the whole Twin thing! No idea what to expect, other than just starting to give myself injections on clexane sad.gif

I can't imagine what I'll be like as I get bigger - I am soooooo tired already!

Edited by -Pz-, 04 May 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#40 renmaro

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi!

My two beautiful girls arrived Thursday April 26th at 34wks and 5days!!

Twin 1/A - 10.09am, 2.2kg and 44cm. Apgars 9 and 10.

Twin 2/B - 10.10am, 1.2kg and 38cm. Apgars 8 and 9.

When the girls came out you could really see the difference in their placentas. Twin 2's was about half the width of Twin 1's so we're sure this is what caused the growth restriction. Neonatologist said Twin 2 was the size of a 28 weeker.

Ceasar went really well, my recovery has been excellent only problem is I can't drive until 3 weeks post surgery.

Steriod shots must have worked as their lungs are working brilliantly - even the little one hasn't required any breathing support.

Both are in Level 2 Special Care Nursery at RHW in Sydney. The staff are fantastic there but there is talk of transferring them to a nursery closer to home in maybe another week or so - if the little one is able to put on a bit more weight first. It will be much easier for us as currently it's a 2 to 3 hour round trip from our house to see the babies and it's taking it's toll on us all.

Both girls have had minimal issues. Both had blood sugar problems which have now come under control. Both have required phototherapy for jaundice but this is also under control now. Little one is still in a humidicrib as she is unable to regulate her temperature but she has come off all her drips and monitors and also doesn't require any intravenous feeding anymore. Both are fed my expressed breastmilk through nasal gastric tubes. Twin 1 breastfeeds from me once per day but this tires her out and Twin 2 has an attempt every couple of days but doesn't do more than lick her lips. So basically our biggest problem is learning to suck - which will come.

Our girls are currently nameless but hopefully not for much longer!

Renee x

#41 newyearbaby

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Oh congratulations Renee, I have been checking in every day to hopefully see an update from you. I am so glad they are doing so well. Actually your little one is absolutely amazing. What a relief!!! I have tears streaming down my face, so I am so glad you are all doing okay. The trips to hospital must be hard but hopefully you can move closer to home soon enough.

Well done for hanging in there so long. You did a great job by the sounds of it!!!

Hopefully you have a speedy recovery from your cs too.

Keep us updated when you can. All the best xx

#42 *mylittleprince*

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hope everyone is well.

Congrats Renmaro on the birth of your beautiful daughters, glad to hear they are doing well. Hope you are able to take them home soon.

Welcome PZ an congrats on the twins.

I'm 15 weeks tomorrow and still really tired and nauseous. I can't wait until our 19 week scan and hope we can find out the gender.

I've contacted our local AMBA and they seem great. I need to send off my money order this week (so old school) and then can officially join. They have parent info nights, playgroups, etc so I think they will provide a good service.

My mom has confirmed that she will come for 12 weeks (all my family live overseas) which is the biggest blessing ever. She is the most wonderful amazing mom and we can't wait to have her. She is going to come when I'm 35 - 36 weeks. Hospital said if all goes to plan should deliver at 36/37 weeks and will be nice to have her near the end and to watch DS while we're at the hospital.

I bought a My Brest Friend twin pillow off Gumtree for just over half price and picking it up today so chuffed about that. Also bought our pram, capsules and adaptors today original.gif Mountain Buggy Duet and 2 Safe and Sound Unity Capsules. Managed to negotiate/price match and saved around $210 which is great! Now I need to sell some of DS stuff - pram/breastfeeding pillow, etc to help pay it back.

#43 T2Mum

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

A huge congratulations Renee! So glad that both your little girls are here safely. I can imagine that the travelling is really hard at the moment. I hope that your bubbies can move closer to you soon. You did such an awesome job to hang in there until 34 weeks. Please do update us when you can.

Welcome PZ! It is a shock to find out you are expecting twins but you do get used to the idea eventually. Hope that everything goes well and your pregnancy is very smooth.

You sound so organised My Little Prince! Don't suppose you can come around to my place and get me organised too???  biggrin.gif

#44 newyearbaby

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Sorry PZ I didn't say welcome aboard!!! And Congratulations!

How many weeks are you? My DS2 was conceived literally weeks after a missed miscarriage (with PPH and emergency D&C) was diagnosed, so I can understand your stress. I was nervous for my entire pregnancy as I was in so much shock that I conceived when I was at my lowest, mentally and physically. But he was a healthy 4.130kg baby born at 41 weeks, so all turned out very well.

Yes, twins are a big shock! I went for a scan following a heavy bleed. I had geared myself up for bad news, and got the shock of my life when the sonographer found two heartbeats.

#45 jess1980

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Have started the nesting already! Spent yesterday cleaning everything out and scrubbing the walls and carpet in the twins room (which was my girls toy room so it was filthy) then gad to wait for my hubby to get out of bed as he's on bloody nightshift so I could shampoo the carpet so today I aim to go through all the kids toys and get rid of at least half. I need to move some furniture so hopefully hubby wakes up early again. I'm usually a last minute person but from ppl I've talked to and on here I won't be doing alot once I reach the 3rd trimester best I do it all now while I can!

#46 newyearbaby

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Good work Jess. Definitely do it now whilst you still can. I can't even do dishes anymore!!

#47 jess1980

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I just want it all done now so I dont have to worry about it bloody nightshift I hate it! At least next week Im going to Margaret river for 4 days with some really old friends for a girls weekend without my kids and hubby cant wait I so need a break!

#48 T2Mum

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Jess - 4 days in the Margaret River! Sounds blissful! Don't overdo it with the nesting. Carpet scrubbing and furniture moving sounds full on!

NYB - hope you are hanging in there. I can't imagine how difficult it is at 34 weeks. Quite frankly I have come to pretty much a screeching halt at 26 weeks and don't even want to think about what things will be like in 8 weeks time.

By the way - I think I have worked out a storage solution for the cargo space in the Multivan - the Flexiboard Accessory that essentially puts a shelf across the back of the cargo space. Idea would be to put the prams underneath and everything else on top! Just have to see if I can get one in Oz.

#49 newyearbaby

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I want to go to Margaret River too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it there.
Ah one day I will go back..... old!

Yeah approaching 34 weeks and it is pure ..... (insert your desired words here)......

Emotional meltdown x 3 on the weekend. But it helps to get it out because today my 18 month old woke up covered in chunky, stinky vomit and I didn't go into panic mode. Just cleaned it up and put the washing on and fed everyone breakfast as normal. And everyone appears fine. Food has all stayed down.

So it seems that we need to have tantrums and tears (from me, not the kids) every now and then to realise it isn't so bad after all. And the finishing line is now in sight so all is okay really. Isn't it? original.gif

#50 -Pz-

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome

Mylittleprince - what's amba? Looks like my family is coming from overseas too for Christmas, which, fingers crossed, should be about a month after the birth. Where is your family from? I'm originally from Canada, but my family is in Ireland

Newyearsbaby - I'm only 8w 2d at this point, so very early days! I also have a diagnosis of Hughes Syndrom, so that, in combination with the twins means that I have to give myself daily injections

Congrats Renee!

Afm, struggling with getting used to the daily injections and with the shock of seeing two little heartbeats last week.  My OB is great though, and I'm having fortnightly appointments at this time.  Counting down to our next scan in 10 days! Also struggling with tiredness and nausea, for which the only cure seems to be constantly eating....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.