Expecting Multiples #113

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

#51 jess1980

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I've just jumped on the scales and Ive somehow managed to put 7kgs on in 4 weeks I'm really concerned in not eating any differently now than I was at the start at this rate I'll be the size of a small country by the time I give birth what should I do any ideas?

#52 T2Mum

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Stop jumping on the scales. Ignorance is bliss. (It's worked for me anyhow!!!  biggrin.gif )

#53 T2Mum

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (newyearbaby @ 07/05/2012, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it seems that we need to have tantrums and tears (from me, not the kids) every now and then to realise it isn't so bad after all. And the finishing line is now in sight so all is okay really. Isn't it? original.gif

Absolutely!!! Hope your DS is OK and there were no follow ons from the overnight vomit.

#54 T2Mum

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (-Pz- @ 07/05/2012, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also struggling with tiredness and nausea, for which the only cure seems to be constantly eating....

PZ! Was the same for me too! Don't worry, putting on weight in the first trimester is apparently a very good thing when you are pregnant with twins - although you might want to see my post to Jess above!! biggrin.gif

PS AMBA is the Australian Multiple Birth Association. They can be very helpful.

#55 newyearbaby

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

11kg by 24 weeks was what I aimed for as I read a paper that said if twins come early that is a good weight to have put on by then.

I have found my weight to be all over the place with this pregnancy. Sometimes I put on heaps in a week. Then other weeks I lose weight. Overall, I am on par with my last pregnancy at this stage. I actually think it will end up at the same weight gain.

In the last month I have actually lost fat in my arms and face, as I think they are eating more than I can put in. My advice is definitely not to worry about weight gain, especially in the first two trimesters. I can't eat much in the 3rd as my belly protrudes from under my bra line, so there is just no room. Eat whilst you can. Your body will guide you.

#56 jess1980

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Thanks it's just hard as I'm already over weight so don't want to make it even harder on myself by putting too much weight on but I'm not going to deprive myself if I feel hungry I'm going to eat was just a bit worried it is too much too soon, but everything I've read says you should put on a decent amount before you hit 24 weeks

#57 *mylittleprince*

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

PZ - AMBA is the Australian Multiple Birth Association. I just sent off my membership forms and money order to join. I live in Brisbane and there are four chapters - North/South/West/East. It costs $36 for the year and it includes 2 expectant parent nights, you can hire breastfeeding pillows/pumps at a low rate, they have mothers groups, newsletter, etc. It seems really great.

You can find more info here:
http://www.amba.org.au/

And find a local group here:
http://www.amba.org.au/clubfinder

#58 -Pz-

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thanks t2mum & mylittleprince! So much to learn!

Anxiously awaiting my next scan on the 17th....

#59 T2Mum

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

So excited! 27 weeks today and both babies are now over the 1 kilo mark! Baby B (who was a bit smaller a fortnight ago) is now a teeny bit bigger than Baby A! Both babies are looking very happy in there. Placenta is still directly over the cervix, but no bleeds yet - and hoping it stays that way!

A very Happy Mother's Day to everyone!

#60 -Pz-

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Congrats t2mum! It must be so reassuring to see the bubs growing well!

Afm, I've had nosebleeds the last couple of mornings - did this happen to anyone else? I also get sooooo tired around 3 pm every day, and walking back to our car last night after seeing a movie, I was out of breath. I'm only 9 weeks! Have an Ob appt on Thursday so I'll put these questions to him too

Happy mothers day everyone!

#61 *mylittleprince*

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

PZ - from 5 - 14 weeks I was absolutely knackered, had no energy or appetite. Am now 16 weeks and the last week I have felt great, still a bit tired but able to eat more, no vomiting or nausea.

Hope you feel better soon!

#62 newyearbaby

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

PZ - I too was completely knackered from day 1 until about 16 weeks. Then I had a month or so where I felt relatively normal, then it went downhill from there. So 16 weeks definitely seems to be the best time to get things done and organised.

And yes, I got nose bleeds in my previous pregnancies a lot. This one not as much but for the last month every time I blow my nose there is some blood. It's a normal pregnancy thing. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

T2 - Good work on the 27 week mark and hitting 1kg. I know I felt a sense of relief around that stage.

AFM - Scan and appointment tomorrow at 34+5. For some reason I feel like it will be my last appointment. I have grown so much more! I'm curious to see how big the babies are now. If they have put on the standard singleton weight since my last scan they will be 3kg already, but chances are they have slowed a bit now. We'll see...

Started my acupuncture prep sessions on Friday last week, and will start acupuncture induction in 2 weeks time. Exciting stuff!!!

Hope everyone had a great mothers day...

#63 T2Mum

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

PZ - agree with the others that you do get a (small!) window around the 16 week mark where you have a bit more energy. That said, growing two babies IS hard work - try and rest as much as you can!

NYB - wow you are really at the point end now!!! Soooo exciting!! Lots of good luck with the acupuncture etc. Will keep fingers crossed that the bubs know Mum's birth plan and stick to it.

AFM - I ended up in hospital last night with my first placenta previa bleed. :-( Only a tiny one which is typical of a first bleed, but enough that I had to stay overnight "just in case". No further bleeding this morning so I'm sure I will get to go home after an ultrasound. Soooo tired. It is impossible to sleep on the labour and delivery bed so I had to try and sleep on the couch in the labour and delivery suite. Not that easy to do when pregnant with twins!!!

#64 newyearbaby

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

T2 - sad.gif
Hope all is okay and you get to go home soon.
Rest up and don't do a thing. That's what others are for.

#65 T2Mum

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (newyearbaby @ 15/05/2012, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
T2 - sad.gif
Hope all is okay and you get to go home soon.
Rest up and don't do a thing. That's what others are for.

So true, but unfortunately DD2 must have missed that memo. For an eighteen month old it is all about Mum, Mum, Mum.

I suspect that is what happened yesterday. Normally she will climb up that stairs for me, but yesterday she wouldn't and we needed to get to pre-school so I had to carry her.

Never mind, I'm back at home and just trying to be more careful.

NYB - How did your scan go???

#66 newyearbaby

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

T2 - I find it hard not to pick up the kids too. In moments of anger I have picked up my 3 year old to put him on the naughty step and my goodness it hurts. I instantly regret it. I still carry my 19 month old a fair bit. It must be much harder in your situation. Glad you are home though.

AFM - My scan went well. My boys are now measuring over 3.5 weeks ahead so at 34+4, they are 38+2 and 38+1. So approximately 2.83kg and 2.68kg. My next check up is in 2 weeks, but I don't think anyone at the hospital is expecting me to make it to that one. We'll see.

I am glad they have grown well. My back and pelvis aren't happy about it, but hopefully I will recover okay.

How is everyone else going?

#67 T2Mum

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

OMG! That is nearly six kilos of babies in your belly. Which is awesome, but scary at the same time!

I'm not surprised your back and pelvis aren't happy. How about your abdominal muscles - do you have a separation??? I've been finding the SRC pregnancy leggings a godsend - I'm going to get the post recovery ones too. Are you taping to give your pelvis extra support?

#68 SoTired

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi Ladies!

I wanted to pop in an introduce myself. I am 30 and my DH is 34. We have a DD who has just turned 1 last week and the other day at our NT scan, we were blessed with the news we were expecting twins!

We conceived them naturally so it was the biggest shock, esp since my symptoms were less than that of DD!

So I will be 12 weeks on Friday and both bubbas look happy and healthy, measuring 4.45 and 4.52cm approx with heartbeats in the 150bpm and 160bpm ranges.

Originally scheduled to have an in/out birth at my local FBC, these plans have now been shelved so i think we will have to go back to our ob, who is brilliant, but expensive!

With DD the pregnancy was straightforward, the birth was 3 hours from 1st niggle to born and I actively exercised until a couple of days before the birth.

I feel overwhelmed like I am pregnant again for the 1st time as everything seems to be different when you are expecting twins, esp with birthing and exercise. I am still not showing, so dont LOOK any different!

I am eager to read about everything you guys are going through who are further along and will likely ask lots of questions! It still hasnt sunk in yet at all but I consider us to be very fortunate (even though we were only planning on 2 kids!) and am looking forward to the journey.

Hope you are happy to have me here- it will great to get to know everyone!

gisses
xo

#69 -Pz-

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Omg newyearbaby! I can't even fathom that amount of baby inside of me!

Welcome gisses - I'm new here too, but I've been stalking the DIG dec 2012 thread. Haven't posted cause I had a previous mc and im a little gun-shy.  So that makes three sets of twins in the Dec DIG!  I found out about our twins a couple of weeks ago at our early scan. I'm going for my next scan tomorrow - I'm about 9w4d now. You're a bit ahead of me, but I'm already showing heaps! (overweight to begin with & it seems to have all just shifted towards my belly!)

What's your due date?

#70 jess1980

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

I found out I was having twins at 10 weeks it took me a good month to get over the shock! Im now 20 weeks and feel about 6months and look it too. I already have 2 daughters so no rest for me have my 20 week scan tomorrow still deciding if we will find out what we are having I dOnt know if I can wait another 16weeks

#71 newyearbaby

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Welcome aboard gisses, it's okay, we were all shocked when we found out about our twins. I had a scan at 6 weeks after a suspected miscarriage, and instead saw two heartbeats, so a massive shock for me.

My pregnancy has been completely different to my others. I too was booked into my birth centre where I have had my other boys and was so excited to be going back there again. I nearly cried when I cancelled my spot as I wasn't looking forward to going across to the medical side of things. But all in all, it's been okay I guess. Not as bad as I imagined anyway. Still have to go through the major part of it though!

Anyway, congratulations on your pregnancy! And your tummy will grow, and grow, and grow, and then when you think it can't grow anymore, it will original.gif

Pz and Jess - good luck with your scans today.

T2 - I think my abdominal muscles now sit somewhere near my obliques, a bit on each side. I had separation after my first son that never fully repaired so I can only imagine how bad it is this time. My belly button is herniated and unlikely to return to it's normal position, so I will probably need surgery down the track. But I don't have any stretch marks, so that's my one positive original.gif

I have the SRC leggings but I'm a bit lazy at wearing them. I get too hot and find I am so uncomfortable, that I just want to wear baggy, daggy clothes. I do have the SRC recovery shorts for after and I am going to religously wear them for months to try and repair as much damage as I can.

I wear a pelvic support belt when I am walking around or carrying my little one somewhere.
It definitely helps, especially now that I have a babies head that is measuring at the 95th% firmly wedged in my fanny. Sorry for sharing and invoking any visuals. Oops.

#72 SoTired

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies!

Since Monday I have run the gamut of emotions and I gotta be honest, it still hasnt sunk in!

Next Mon we speak with our fam doc about my care plan now that i cant go to FBC. I am slightly leaning towards private as I can stay a little longer as I have a feeling I will need all the help I can get!

-Pz-- Congrats to you as well! Yup, 3 of us UTD with twins in the Dec DIG. I thought we would have one, maybe two... Goodlcuk with your scan today- let us know how it went. My due for a singleton is 1st Dec but I heard with twins that full term is usually 38 weeks, so I have no idea. Will just go with the flow- they will come when they want to im sure! Unfortunately that will play havoc when preparing for Mat leave. i worked until 37.5 weeks with DD and wont have that luxury this time!

jess1980- Wow, gorgeous girls now twins. How wonderful. Hope your scan went brilliantly today. We are definitely finding out the sex, for sure! I need time to prepare everything!

newyearbaby- Dont tell me about the tummy! ohmy.gif I want to remain naieve for as long as possible...

AFM- I am still feeling very frazzled and shocked. Have had a ripper busy week at work and DD/DH have been sick so have really been suffering from lack of sleep. This weekend I think I will have a jama weekend, not just a jama day!

Questions- how many of you are public/private? We are still deciding. I like that private will let me stay longer as I think I will need all of the help I can get! We went private with DD but he will be out of pocket $3500 and I am not sure if there is another Ob who might be more suitable even though ours has dealt with multiples before.

How many scans/additional tests/visits have you had to make? I think I had 2 scans, 14 visits and 2 blood tests with DD. I am expecting more.

Have your doctors advised c sections for you? How many of you are opting for that or wanting to go vaginal?

That might have to be it for today or I might be kicked off for asking too many personal questions! biggrin.gif

#73 jess1980

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Had my scan today everything is fine and where it should be but last minute decided I had to know and it's 2 boys I was a little disappointed at first I wanted one of each but I'm excited about it now!

#74 newyearbaby

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Jess - congratulations on the boys. I think it's great.

gisses - It took me until about 20 weeks (so 14 in total) to get used to the idea of twins. Since then it has gotten somewhat exciting.

I am going public with the Twins Clinic at RPA. The consultant Ob's that run the clinic are 2 of the ones I looked at going with privately so I figured there was no point in paying.

They are now pro-vaginal so long as Twin 1 is head down. There is another thread that I started about hospital protocols which has some interesting things in it. About their recommendations of epidurals and syntocinon etc. Both my boys are head down and have been for about 7 weeks now so I have decided to go natural. I've declined the epidural and will have syntocinon to deliver twin 2 if necessary.

As for visits, I had my booking in visit at 16 weeks, and had appointments and scans every 4 weeks from 20 weeks. My appointments changed to fortnightly at about 32 weeks. Blood tests were the same as a singleton pregnancy. They like to do the long glucose tolerance test (diet for 3 days then fasting/testing for 2 hours) at 16 weeks and 28 weeks. I bargained them down to once only at 26 weeks.

But each hospital and each obstetrician do it differently. Might be worth looking at what your public option is first and taking it from there. RPA as my local, is one of the top neonatal hospitals, so for me the decision was easy enough.

#75 -Pz-

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Quick me update as I'm on my phone: scan went great, both measuring the same at about 10 weeks. Don't know size or heart rates, as Ob didn't tell me (I'm kinda glad as I'd probably obsess about them!). Booked for my NT scan and next Ob appt in a fortnight original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.