Toilet training
haven't got a clue.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

So help please!

This is my 3rd.

The first child, he was doing #2's and #1's up until my 2nd child was born when he was 20 months old. He then went backwards for a few months, then at 2, started to do #1's on the toilet no worries. Not night trained though just day trained. He however developed a fear of doing #2's on the toilet and refused unless there was a pull up on him (complaining of stomach pains and very ill, cold and clammy etc. ). to the point where it had to become a stand off, and tossing the nappies. Took us the whole day of him protesting he eventually did it on the toilet and was fine after that- at 3 years 8 months though.

#2 was fairly easy in comparison, just kept telling her that she had to go to the toilet repeatedly, she had it figured out at shortly past 2. Had a brief stage of going backwards, when we moved here at nearly 3 years old,  as we have a toilet not in the main house as she was physically unable to reach the door handle to get out. By the tme she let one of us know, it was too late. most of the time. Sorted out within 6 weeks, so fully day toilet trained at 3 years or thereabouts. Still has a problem with bed wetting at night for a while, but grown out of it now- not worried about that.

#3 has just turned 3. He is not interested at all. We still have the issue where the toilet is not accessible to him due to its location. However, i have made a place with the potty on a mat, for him to go to the toilet in his room. We have purchased pullupis and underpants for him to wear. We repeatedly encourage him to go to the potty, very occasionally he will sit down and declare nothing after about 20 seconds, and refuse to continue to try. He will also wet his underpants or worse, and sit in them seemingly not owrried at all. When he has a nappy on, he will come to me, bring me the wipes and nappies and declare i have done a stinky poo, change my bum please mum but this doesn't translate into undies as well. Today, i thought id try to buy some thomas underwear for him, he declared no i don't want these mum, put them back please. He has plenty of outside time with nothing on, he pees outside no worries.

So give me your tips please, it's only been 4 years since the last child was trained, but I feel like i have forgotten exactly what to do! It's bordering on silly to have still in nappies all the time at 3. I haven't tried very hard to be honest, onl because I'm nto sure exactly what to do! I just told the others time to go to the toilet and it sorted itself out eventually without all that much hassle...and i've really had enough of poo!

#2 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

bump.

#3 HoneyMurcott

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Some people might suggest waiting and trying again in a month or 2 ..... but I'm pretty determined (maybe stubborn is a better word) when it comes to TTing. I would:

- straight out of nappy as soon as he wakes up
- onto the toilet / potty as soon as you can after waking to catch that morning wee (it's predictable and great way to start the day with lots of praise). Encourage to sit until he weed by watching TV / reading him a book / give him your phone to play with.
- undies only so no confusion with nappies during the day
- lots and lots of fluids (juice, milkshakes etc anything to encourage drinking as it gives you lots more opportunity to practice and for him to get a full sensation
- regular sitting on the potty / toilet for a few minutes (I set the oven timer)
- practice runs from where he's playing to the toilet. It's just fun & I found our boys particularly loved to race to the toilet & get undies off as quickly as possible
- no fuss over accidents. Just clean up and reiterate that next time it goes in the potty / toilet.
- praise / rewards for dry undies not just success on potty. It means he gets to feel good about holding on even if he keeps missing the final piece of the puzzle

My own experience has been once they can keep their undies dry for a few hours it won't be long till they get it all together. With DS2 it took 11 days before he got anything in the toilet ...., but I certainly appreciate that to many people they would stop and try again in a few more months. So it does depend on what works for your family.

Goodluck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.