Captiva 7 Diesel or Mazda cx9
Am i silly to pass up the cx9?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ness75

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase either of these vehicles brand new in hopefully the next few weeks but after drooling over the cx9 for many months i finally test drove it last night and found its size very intimidating and had trouble parking it in the many car park spaces i was using for practice, yet when we drove the captiva on Saturday i was truely impressed by how easy it was to drive and all the lovely extras that were included for just a little more than the base model cx9.

We have 3 tall children at the moment aged 9,14 and 16 and are trying for another baby(or 2) but as we have already been trying for 2 years, who knows if or when it will happen.  We really only travel together on odd days over the weekend and by the time we have a baby my eldest may even be driving his own car most of the time anyway.

Am I CRAZY to turn down the cx9 for the captiva?

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

#2 CafeCat

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

We bought a Hyundai Santa Fe Elite 3 mths ago after a long drawn out look at all possible 7 seaters. We turned down the CX9 because it doesn't have a 5 star safety rating and it only has a space saver spare wheel. All seven of us travel in this car. I found the CX9 big too.

#3 Sarahjp77ctc

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (number4please @ 03/04/2012, 04:47 PM)
14456360[/url]']
I am fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase either of these vehicles brand new in hopefully the next few weeks but after drooling over the cx9 for many months i finally test drove it last night and found its size very intimidating and had trouble parking it in the many car park spaces i was using for practice, yet when we drove the captiva on Saturday i was truely impressed by how easy it was to drive and all the lovely extras that were included for just a little more than the base model cx9.

We have 3 tall children at the moment aged 9,14 and 16 and are trying for another baby(or 2) but as we have already been trying for 2 years, who knows if or when it will happen.  We really only travel together on odd days over the weekend and by the time we have a baby my eldest may even be driving his own car most of the time anyway.

Am I CRAZY to turn down the cx9 for the captiva?

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

We r getting a Nissan dualis +2 tomorrow with 7 seats. Very nice but not as big as the mazda. We currently have a captiva 07 butuses a lot of petrol. The Nissan seems roomier inside too.

#4 Ness75

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Sarahjp77ctc @ 03/04/2012, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We r getting a Nissan dualis +2 tomorrow with 7 seats. Very nice but not as big as the mazda. We currently have a captiva 07 butuses a lot of petrol. The Nissan seems roomier inside too.

I love the look of the Dualis but thought it would be way too small.I have never had a close look though.

#5 Ness75

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (mum2five @ 03/04/2012, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We bought a Hyundai Santa Fe Elite 3 mths ago after a long drawn out look at all possible 7 seaters. We turned down the CX9 because it doesn't have a 5 star safety rating and it only has a space saver spare wheel. All seven of us travel in this car. I found the CX9 big too.

I think we should have a close look at this one too.

#6 spando

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

We have a captiva 7 the only thing I would add is that I hasn't worn (if that's the right word) that well. I also find the visability out the back not brilliant but then again none of the big cars have brilliant visability hence the sensors.
Don't know if that helps but we fit adults in the back two seats quite comfortably

#7 Ness75

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (spando @ 03/04/2012, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a captiva 7 the only thing I would add is that I hasn't worn (if that's the right word) that well. I also find the visability out the back not brilliant but then again none of the big cars have brilliant visability hence the sensors.
Don't know if that helps but we fit adults in the back two seats quite comfortably

When you say it hasnt worn well, what are you having problems with? I really love the guide lines on the reversing camera and the mazda cx9 doesnt have those or the sensors so i found it not much help at all for reversing.

#8 SummerStar

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

I went from only being able (comfortable) driving small cars to a cx9 and I have to say as much as the test drive made me nervous I just love it now.
It took me a day to get used to and the reverse camera is wonderful. Definitely wouldn't have a hope without it. I now can't drive our Mazda 3 comfortably because it feels like a toy (not to mention almost falling out of it every time I go to get out because I assume the ground is further away than it is!)
Any bigger sized car will take a little getting used to but it really doesn't take long.
I'm not the worlds most confident driver and would never have seen myself in a car like this but it's great.

Edited by SummerStar, 06 April 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#9 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

We had the same decision to make and went with the cx9 because of space and quality. It's been 3 years and it's still fantastic. Japanese cars are known for their reliability so that was a factor too. We spoke with our mechanic and he said he would go with a Mazda or Toyota every time and I guess he would know.
We found the Holden to feel to squashy for the kids.

Edited by challice, 06 April 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#10 burnsy

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I havent driven the cx9 so cant compare but we just bought the captiva 7 LX diesel a couple of weeks ago and I love it  the 4 kids fit in nicely but with all the seats up there is no boot space, I love all the extra little features and loads of compartments, it uses on average around town about 9.5L/100km so pretty good on fuel,  Its mainly my hubbys car to drive I still drive my tarago but we are planning to sell my car in about 5 years and then this will be our main one.

#11 Guest_jaderuby_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Edited by jaderuby, 01 July 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#12 AugustRush

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

We have a Captiva 7 and I do love how easy it is to park. I have never in my life reverse parked, now I reverse park at school every day easily (I am always very chuffed with myself lol).

I don't too regularly go out with all seats full, so no boot doesn't worry me too much, but if we have a 4th child I do think I will quickly find the Captiva too squashy.

The noise of the diesel is starting to bug me a bit too to be honest, sometimes it just sounds like a tractor. I only really notice it in carparks etc. It is quite fuel efficient though, so really that does outway the negative.

Good luck with the choice.

#13 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

I really love the guide lines on the reversing camera and the mazda cx9 doesnt have those
My CX9 has guide lines on the camera. Maybe because it is the Luxury model?  unsure.gif
I love that the camera screen is about double the size of models such as the Kluger. I love everything about the car except how much more petrol it uses compared to my 5 seater Commodore. Yes it takes a while to get used to the size, but reverse parking is SO easy!
My 15 year old is 6 foot 3 and he isn't comfortable in the 3rd row for more than short trips, but those seats are perfect for the smaller boys, and there is heaps of boot space.
I haven't driven a Captiva sorry, but my friend has one and it seems much more cramped inside.

#14 SummerStar

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Mine has guidelines too and it's not the luxury.

#15 Hooray Henry

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

We hadn't picked up our CX9 when this thread started.  We've had it a week now and so far we love it.  It's only the 3rd car I've ever owned and by far the biggest (the last one was a Mazda 3) and I'm having no issues driving it.  The camera makes reversing easy, and I've even ventured into undercover shopping centre carparks twice with no problems.  

We'll have to see how I go when I start doing preschool drop offs in busy narrow streets  biggrin.gif

(We have the base model and it has the guide lines in the reversing camera)

#16 namie

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm posting simply to keep track of replies, lol.

We're looking at getting a bigger car in the next 6 months, going up from a Holden Astra. I'm a little nervous as the Astra is the only car I've ever owned and we've had it just gone 5 years. Before that I was driving an employers Smart car, so aiming for a Mazda CX9 or a Holden Captiva is kind of freaking me out a little!

We haven't test driven anything yet. I think we're going to have to test drive them all because we can't agree on a short list at all!

#17 josh2003

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I had my heart set on a captiva once upon a time, but after sitting in one and test driving one, we quickly decided against it. It was much smaller internally than I thought it was, and it would be a struggle to get three in the second row if you're using a car seat or booster. Which means that you're going to have to use the third row, which in the captiva, aren't real seats IMO.

We've had our CX9 for over two years now, and when the time comes to get a new car, we will definitely get a new CX9. I often drive with 7 grown women in the car and we fit quite comfortably.

As for the parking, I find it much easier to park than our Mazda 3 because of the reverse camera.

The PP that mentioned that the CX9 doesn't have a 5 star safety rating - that's because it hasn't been tested in Australia, but it did receive the highest possible safety rating in US crash tests.

Leaving the CX9 aside, if you're hoping to have four children, I would not even consider the Captiva. You wouldn't be able to get a pram in there if you're using the third row, and no matter what you get, make sure that it has curtain airbags for the third row, as a some don't have any protection for those in the back.

#18 Ness75

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Now i am very confused. We drove the 2011 luxury model and saw no guidelines on the screen wh

#19 Ness75

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Now i am very confused. We drove the 2011 luxury model and saw no guidelines on the screen when checking out the reversing camera. If it does have them then that draws me back to the cx9 again. Shame its so much extra for sat nav and bluetooth.

#20 lamarque

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (number4please @ 04/04/2012, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you say it hasnt worn well, what are you having problems with? I really love the guide lines on the reversing camera and the mazda cx9 doesnt have those or the sensors so i found it not much help at all for reversing.

Admittedly we have the Grand Touring but I thought the guidelines were standard too?

We love our CX9.  I reverse park 99% of the time.  Still enough boot space with all seats up too.  Putting the back row of seats up and down is very easy and can be done with one hand.  The sat nav is also very user friendly.  

I haven't noticed the chewing up of petrol to be honest.  I'm running around locally mainly but I haven't really noticed a big difference from our last car (mazda 6).

Edited by lamarque, 15 April 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#21 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I would go the Mazda as they are fantastic cars. They are big, but you'll get used to it. Test drives are always nerve wracking! Maybe test drive them both again and then decide with an open view.
Do a pros and cons list on both.

Another thing is check the price of servicing. We had a diesel and sold it cause the servicing costs were ridiculous. The 45,000km service was just short of $1000.

Plus a Jap made car wins hands down over a rebadged Korean Daewoo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.