Overwhelmed - second miscarriage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clare L

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hi everyone,

We've just experienced our second miscarriage in the space of four months, losing our little one at six weeks. I know that's not very far along, but we were so excited, so looking forward to this journey...

I'm angry and sad and scared and frustrated and p*ssed off and resentful and tired and and and.... all natural I know. Right now I just want to hibernate, eat junk food and watch crap TV. I had an u/s yesterday, and everything is clear, so thankfully there's no need for any extra treatment. My doctor is also being awesome and ordering blood tests to start trying to work out if there's an underlying reason - everyone told me they wouldn't until we'd had three, but luckily she took a different stance. Of course, I know that there may be no good reason at all, that it may just be one of those things (twice!) for us, but at least it will put our minds at rest.

Clare
xxx

#2 Wishing2011

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this.... I just had a miscarriage over a week ago now and I don't think I could go through that again. I wouldnt wish it on ANYONE.. I hope you are okay. Maybe take a few days off work and do nothing and eat junk hehe.. I don't think I have ever cried in my life as much as I did for those few weeks I was miscarrying.. It was so sad.

It's great to hear your doctor is so supportive and glad to hear everything is clear. hhugs.gif

#3 melzy02

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Im so sorry you're going through this Clare  sad.gif
We had a miscarriage a month ago and it's just a terrible feeling! I still feel emotional and am just waiting for this feeling to go away. We wanted this babe so much but I hate feeling like this  sad.gif  
I too havent cried as much as I have over the last month.

#4 ~Panda~

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm so sorry for your losses. I really feel for you. I lost 6 babies (one pregnancy was twins) and took 4 years of solid ttc before I had my DS last October. I had a lot of complications, IVF, injections every day for 14 weeks, etc etc. I too, did what you want to do. Eat junk food, watch TV and read. Basically, I wanted to escape reality.

I really hope you start to feel better soon. Although, it's very normal to be up and down for quite some time. Make sure you do what you need to do to feel better. Thinking of you.

#5 Clare L

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thank you so much ladies,

Wishing2011 - I hope you are looking after yourself too. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this too. There's a lot of junk being eaten, trust me! wink.gif And work are being very supportive, basically just letting me come in and out as I please.

melzy02 - I'm sorry you're having to deal with this too. Grief takes time I think - be gentle with yourself.

~Panda~ - I'm so happy you now have your gorgeous little DS. Escaping reality sounds pretty good right now. We're just taking it one day at a time.

xxx

#6 Wishing2011

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'm so glad your work is being supportive. I wasn't going to tell my work but I kept having to take time off for blood tests, ultrasounds and then the days that I just wasnt coping.. So after we had it confirmed DH called my team leader and told her in confidence. So only she knows.. And she was great about it all. Sounds like she has gone through a few herself by what she was telling me. So it helps when work is supportive.

Panda hi waves.gif

#7 franno

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hey Clare,

I am so sorry for you. Almost hope there is something (basic) wrong in the bloods so they can treat and you feel like you are doing something. That was my issue - the unknown. I was so thankful after the 2nd when they tested the remains and found something wrong.
After my first one my ob put me on progesterone for the next pregnancy which was great as it made me feel we wee doing something (this wasn't based on any bloods or anything saying I haven low progesterone she just said it was a little extra support). We lost that but it eas chromosomes so nothing to be done then this one she has doubled the dose so I feel very "supported".

I am glad they are doing bloods etc now no-one should have to go through this 3 times before something gets done. I was angry mainly "I don't want to have to start all over again" and "between 2 pregnancies I have done a first trimester this year and nothing to show for it". I would also make sure I enjoyed selecting a nice bottle of wine to chill in the fridge basically as soon as I found out.

Take care and look after yourself

#8 Clare L

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wishing2011 - I wasn't going to tell mine either, but DP convinced me. And I have to say, for a mid-fifties childfree man, my boss coped exceptionally well when I told him! original.gif I'm glad your team leader is being supportive too.

franno - your OB sounds great. And I agree - it's feeling like you're 'doing something' that's important for me. Otherwise I just feel so powerless. My GP has a suspicion it might be to do with my thyroid, so in a way I'm hoping the tests confirm that and then that risk factor can be treated - one thing taken out of the equation as it were. And yes - I'm going to enjoy some nice wine this weekend!

Clare
xxx

#9 butterflyangels

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I am so sorry you are experiencing this pain.

Do whatever you want in the near future to get through this heartache, I know hard hard  it is since I expeeeinced two stillbirths in 7 months two years ago.
You might of only been 6 weeks but in the short time you knew you were pregnant you would of made a lot of plans in your head of what your pregnancy would be like, you had dreams for your baby and hopes for a new life growing in you.  All this has been taken from you, so grieve how you want for as long as it takes

#10 Clare L

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

rubylilysmum - thank you for your love and kind words. DP and I are taking it one day at a time.

Clare
xxx

#11 Libertine

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Sorry to hear your story Clare.

Make sure you take the time you need to grieve. Enjoy eating whatever you want and have a few drinks if it wil help. I made sure I ate all those foods that were forbidden in pregnancy, Brie and salami etc. Not sure why but ths made me feel better.

Something that helped me, and it might not be for you but I thought I'd share it. I gave myself a set amount of time to wallow in the grief I was feeling then i chose a day when I was going to try and pull myself back together.

On the designated day I made a new commitment that I was going to do everything I could to be as healthy as possible and give myself the best chance I could to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy. so I committed to a gentle exercise regime, made sure I was eating super healthy, started acupuncture and a regular time each day for meditation.

I found this helped me to refocus and be positive and also felt like I was 'doing' something proactive iykwim.

Take care op, m/c is the cruelest thing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.