Overwhelmed - second miscarriage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clare L

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hi everyone,

We've just experienced our second miscarriage in the space of four months, losing our little one at six weeks. I know that's not very far along, but we were so excited, so looking forward to this journey...

I'm angry and sad and scared and frustrated and p*ssed off and resentful and tired and and and.... all natural I know. Right now I just want to hibernate, eat junk food and watch crap TV. I had an u/s yesterday, and everything is clear, so thankfully there's no need for any extra treatment. My doctor is also being awesome and ordering blood tests to start trying to work out if there's an underlying reason - everyone told me they wouldn't until we'd had three, but luckily she took a different stance. Of course, I know that there may be no good reason at all, that it may just be one of those things (twice!) for us, but at least it will put our minds at rest.

Clare
xxx

#2 Wishing2011

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this.... I just had a miscarriage over a week ago now and I don't think I could go through that again. I wouldnt wish it on ANYONE.. I hope you are okay. Maybe take a few days off work and do nothing and eat junk hehe.. I don't think I have ever cried in my life as much as I did for those few weeks I was miscarrying.. It was so sad.

It's great to hear your doctor is so supportive and glad to hear everything is clear. hhugs.gif

#3 melzy02

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Im so sorry you're going through this Clare  sad.gif
We had a miscarriage a month ago and it's just a terrible feeling! I still feel emotional and am just waiting for this feeling to go away. We wanted this babe so much but I hate feeling like this  sad.gif  
I too havent cried as much as I have over the last month.

#4 ~Panda~

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I'm so sorry for your losses. I really feel for you. I lost 6 babies (one pregnancy was twins) and took 4 years of solid ttc before I had my DS last October. I had a lot of complications, IVF, injections every day for 14 weeks, etc etc. I too, did what you want to do. Eat junk food, watch TV and read. Basically, I wanted to escape reality.

I really hope you start to feel better soon. Although, it's very normal to be up and down for quite some time. Make sure you do what you need to do to feel better. Thinking of you.

#5 Clare L

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thank you so much ladies,

Wishing2011 - I hope you are looking after yourself too. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this too. There's a lot of junk being eaten, trust me! wink.gif And work are being very supportive, basically just letting me come in and out as I please.

melzy02 - I'm sorry you're having to deal with this too. Grief takes time I think - be gentle with yourself.

~Panda~ - I'm so happy you now have your gorgeous little DS. Escaping reality sounds pretty good right now. We're just taking it one day at a time.

xxx

#6 Wishing2011

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'm so glad your work is being supportive. I wasn't going to tell my work but I kept having to take time off for blood tests, ultrasounds and then the days that I just wasnt coping.. So after we had it confirmed DH called my team leader and told her in confidence. So only she knows.. And she was great about it all. Sounds like she has gone through a few herself by what she was telling me. So it helps when work is supportive.

Panda hi waves.gif

#7 franno

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hey Clare,

I am so sorry for you. Almost hope there is something (basic) wrong in the bloods so they can treat and you feel like you are doing something. That was my issue - the unknown. I was so thankful after the 2nd when they tested the remains and found something wrong.
After my first one my ob put me on progesterone for the next pregnancy which was great as it made me feel we wee doing something (this wasn't based on any bloods or anything saying I haven low progesterone she just said it was a little extra support). We lost that but it eas chromosomes so nothing to be done then this one she has doubled the dose so I feel very "supported".

I am glad they are doing bloods etc now no-one should have to go through this 3 times before something gets done. I was angry mainly "I don't want to have to start all over again" and "between 2 pregnancies I have done a first trimester this year and nothing to show for it". I would also make sure I enjoyed selecting a nice bottle of wine to chill in the fridge basically as soon as I found out.

Take care and look after yourself

#8 Clare L

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wishing2011 - I wasn't going to tell mine either, but DP convinced me. And I have to say, for a mid-fifties childfree man, my boss coped exceptionally well when I told him! original.gif I'm glad your team leader is being supportive too.

franno - your OB sounds great. And I agree - it's feeling like you're 'doing something' that's important for me. Otherwise I just feel so powerless. My GP has a suspicion it might be to do with my thyroid, so in a way I'm hoping the tests confirm that and then that risk factor can be treated - one thing taken out of the equation as it were. And yes - I'm going to enjoy some nice wine this weekend!

Clare
xxx

#9 butterflyangels

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I am so sorry you are experiencing this pain.

Do whatever you want in the near future to get through this heartache, I know hard hard  it is since I expeeeinced two stillbirths in 7 months two years ago.
You might of only been 6 weeks but in the short time you knew you were pregnant you would of made a lot of plans in your head of what your pregnancy would be like, you had dreams for your baby and hopes for a new life growing in you.  All this has been taken from you, so grieve how you want for as long as it takes

#10 Clare L

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

rubylilysmum - thank you for your love and kind words. DP and I are taking it one day at a time.

Clare
xxx

#11 Libertine

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Sorry to hear your story Clare.

Make sure you take the time you need to grieve. Enjoy eating whatever you want and have a few drinks if it wil help. I made sure I ate all those foods that were forbidden in pregnancy, Brie and salami etc. Not sure why but ths made me feel better.

Something that helped me, and it might not be for you but I thought I'd share it. I gave myself a set amount of time to wallow in the grief I was feeling then i chose a day when I was going to try and pull myself back together.

On the designated day I made a new commitment that I was going to do everything I could to be as healthy as possible and give myself the best chance I could to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy. so I committed to a gentle exercise regime, made sure I was eating super healthy, started acupuncture and a regular time each day for meditation.

I found this helped me to refocus and be positive and also felt like I was 'doing' something proactive iykwim.

Take care op, m/c is the cruelest thing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.