What are your favourite lights? Or online lighting stores?
after ideas

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

So, I'm on the hunt for some lighting ideas for our house.

Looking for a pendant light for the dining area, a light for over the island bench in the kitchen and a decent light for the bathroom mirror.

What are your favourite (online) lighting stores?  Got any favourite light styles?

Thanks!

#2 CleverChook

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm a big fan of A-M's Cape Cod Designs.undefined

#3 Amanda_R

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I've bought from http://www.lightingillusions.com.au/ and http://www.micaunited.com.au and http://www.buyster.com.au/ but I've also browsed through most of the lighting stores online.  I'd suggest doing the same and once you find the light you like, then do a search for the cheapest price.

There are a few lighting styles I like, but it all depends on the house and room they are going in to.  What sort of style were you after?

#4 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

sorry I didn't respons until now, other disasters happening, you know how it goes.

Generally speaking, we prefer a more modern/contemporary look and no exposed bulbs.  Diffused lighting is good.  And no dangly chandeliers.

Here's our current electrical & lighting plan

So, I'm stuck on a few things

- Island bench in kitchen - should we go for 3 pendant lights or try to find a fluoro track light?  I'm struggling to find a decent looking hanging flouro light.  Plus I don't know how much light I need!  In terms of pendants, I was thinking of  2 of the salt metal lights with the larger Pepper metal lights in the middle.  Or even a few egg cup pendant lights.  In terms of a suspended fluoro, what do you think of this 4 wire suspended T5 fluoro?

- should we have task lighting in kitchen along the wall?

- Dining area - I had been thinking we might have 3 pendants (2 small 250mm rondo lights with a 350mm eliptic light in the centre.  But would this be too much?

I like the Eglo Oxana pendant but I'm not sure if this would be enough.  Maybe I could use 3 of the oxana over the island bench?

- anyone know of a decent above mirror light to use in the bathroom?

- should we have 2 fans in the living area?

- we've nominated 4 dimmable downlights in the TV room - what other alternatives would you suggest?

So many questions .....

#5 Amanda_R

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Hmm.  Ok.  Firstly I can't say I'm a fan of most track lighting, I think most styles are already starting to date, and it'll probably only get worse.  Pendants would be a better option, but you will most likely need a couple of other lights in the kitchen to ensure it's properly illuminated.  Two or three, maybe four (depending on the scale of the kitchen) downlights would probably be a good option.  They will not be as noticeable and will let the pendants over the island bench be the feature.

As for the lights themselves, the T5 I don't like at all, it reminds me of a combination of school/office lighting and pool table lighting.  The Eglo Oxana is ok, but depending on the length of your bench, they might be a bit wide and busy for the space.  If they are set far enough apart it might work.

The Salt and Pepper lights are ok, they might work if you're having metal/stainless steel/etc elsewhere in the kitchen to tie into it.  As feature lights they don't really do much for me though.  They almost seem like they are trying to have a slight modern industrial feel about them but miss the mark a bit.  What about pushing the industrial feel a little more, and going with something along the lines of this?  It almost has a similar feel to the Egg Cup lights (which are ok but a bit bland), just with a bit more interest.

Pendants over island benches tend to work better in threes as you're planning, but they usually tend to be a set of three identical.  It can work in the way you're thinking but it really does come down to the lights and the space they are going in, as to whether or not they'll work or just look odd.  In general I'm actually tiring of the look, I guess because I've now seen it done with far too many mediocre lights it's dulling down the appeal of it.  But of course that's just me being opinionated again lol.  Basically, if you're going to do it, really ensure you've got lights that are worth being a feature (and ceilings high enough to pull it off, lol).

If the dining room is right near the kitchen then I think (unless the space is really big) that another set of three pendants might be a bit much, particularly if you're going with the two the same, different in the center thing.  Looking at the floor plan, I think two long rows of lights might do weird things to the space in relation to each other and the (I'm assuming) lounge type area above the kitchen.  I'd be tempted to go with something more central to the dining area, rather than a long row of lights, maybe a single larger light (does the Rondo come any larger?), but nothing too  massive given it doesn't appear to be a big space.  I guess I'm just thinking from a perspective of two sets of three pendants in a row giving a weird visual impression of a wall from the lounge area.  Once again though it really does depend on the lights and the room they'll all be going in.

As for the light above the mirror, I'm not really sure.  Most of them seem fairly similar (if it's the same as what I'm thinking of, but I might be way off).

Two fans in the living room will depend on the size and the adjoining (if any) spaces.  Two might be ok if the room is large enough to space them far enough apart, but if its open plan with any other rooms then you've really got to ensure that you don't overload the ceiling and make it look busy.

Four dimmable downlights in the TV room is perfectly fine.  It makes the lighting become something that isn't a feature in the room, and the fact they are dimmable should come in handy quite a lot.

I know I've ranted about it a million times on EB but finding decent lights is a pain in the rear!

*eta*  If you wanted to really make a feature out of the light, say in the dining area, you could go for something really different like this+this.  Of course it may well not suit the house at all, but he does do some good lights, I've put the butterfly pendant in DD#1's room and I'm really happy I did, it looks great (yes ok I also wanted to plug an Aussie designer too, lol).

Edited by Amanda_R, 04 April 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 04/04/2012, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm.  Ok.  Firstly I can't say I'm a fan of most track lighting, I think most styles are already starting to date, and it'll probably only get worse.

I agree.  The track lighting in the electrical plan is from the planner, not from us.  Hence why I am looking for ideas.

Pendants would be a better option, but you will most likely need a couple of other lights in the kitchen to ensure it's properly illuminated.  Two or three, maybe four (depending on the scale of the kitchen) downlights would probably be a good option.  They will not be as noticeable and will let the pendants over the island bench be the feature.

good point.

As for the lights themselves, the T5 I don't like at all, it reminds me of a combination of school/office lighting and pool table lighting.
LOL!  laughing2.gif  Okay, that's definitely not a look I was going for!

The Eglo Oxana is ok, but depending on the length of your bench, they might be a bit wide and busy for the space.  If they are set far enough apart it might work.

Yes, I wondered about whether they are a bit too much for the space.  I was thinking of an Oxana light in the centre with two simple round frosted pendants on either side. (1 feature, 2 plain).  But then I read your point below ....

The Salt and Pepper lights are ok, they might work if you're having metal/stainless steel/etc elsewhere in the kitchen to tie into it.

actually, this is a very good point.  Apart from the oven, we will be having white appliances (dishwasher, fridge, microwave).  So I think I will drop looking at metal/SS lights for the island bench.

What about pushing the industrial feel a little more, and going with something along the lines of this?  It almost has a similar feel to the Egg Cup lights (which are ok but a bit bland), just with a bit more interest.

Nice lights though - I like them.   biggrin.gif

Pendants over island benches tend to work better in threes as you're planning, but they usually tend to be a set of three identical.  It can work in the way you're thinking but it really does come down to the lights and the space they are going in, as to whether or not they'll work or just look odd.  In general I'm actually tiring of the look, I guess because I've now seen it done with far too many mediocre lights it's dulling down the appeal of it.  But of course that's just me being opinionated again lol.  Basically, if you're going to do it, really ensure you've got lights that are worth being a feature (and ceilings high enough to pull it off, lol).

point taken.  Either go for a good feature light, or something very simple & plain.

If the dining room is right near the kitchen then I think (unless the space is really big) that another set of three pendants might be a bit much, particularly if you're going with the two the same, different in the center thing.  Looking at the floor plan, I think two long rows of lights might do weird things to the space in relation to each other and the (I'm assuming) lounge type area above the kitchen.  I'd be tempted to go with something more central to the dining area, rather than a long row of lights, maybe a single larger light (does the Rondo come any larger?), but nothing too  massive given it doesn't appear to be a big space.  I guess I'm just thinking from a perspective of two sets of three pendants in a row giving a weird visual impression of a wall from the lounge area.  Once again though it really does depend on the lights and the room they'll all be going in.

Upon more reflection, have decided that we'll just do a single pendant, not more than 500mm in doameter I think.

As for the light above the mirror, I'm not really sure.  Most of them seem fairly similar (if it's the same as what I'm thinking of, but I might be way off).

From what I've seen, most bathroom vanity lights look cheap and miserable.  It's like it's a forgotten light.

Two fans in the living room will depend on the size and the adjoining (if any) spaces.  Two might be ok if the room is large enough to space them far enough apart, but if its open plan with any other rooms then you've really got to ensure that you don't overload the ceiling and make it look busy.

Four dimmable downlights in the TV room is perfectly fine.  It makes the lighting become something that isn't a feature in the room, and the fact they are dimmable should come in handy quite a lot.

I know I've ranted about it a million times on EB but finding decent lights is a pain in the rear!

*eta*  If you wanted to really make a feature out of the light, say in the dining area, you could go for something really different like this+this.  Of course it may well not suit the house at all, but he does do some good lights, I've put the butterfly pendant in DD#1's room and I'm really happy I did, it looks great (yes ok I also wanted to plug an Aussie designer too, lol).

DH wasn't keen on the leaf pendant but we both thought the orb pendant looked fabulous.  I have flicked off an email to see how big it is, what style bulb it takes and how would I go about getting one (we live in Newcastle). I hope it's affordable and easily transportable (or there is a local supplier)

I have done a bit more searching for a light for the dining room.  Blogged some ideas here.

Thanks for all your advice and input Amanda - I was hoping you'd reply.   biggrin.gif   You've brought up some great points to consider.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 05 April 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (CleverChook @ 03/04/2012, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a big fan of A-M's Cape Cod Designs.undefined

Thanks but we're not going for that style in our house.

#8 Amanda_R

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 05/04/2012, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually, this is a very good point.  Apart from the oven, we will be having white appliances (dishwasher, fridge, microwave).  So I think I will drop looking at metal/SS lights for the island bench.

I wouldn't scrap the idea entirely if you're going to have some SS in the kitchen.  Say you've got oven/cooktop, handles and sink, you've probably got enough to use the SS as an accent to the rest of the scheme.  At the same time as not wanting to have something in the kitchen that doesn't gel with the rest of the scheme, you also don't want to overload it too.  So if you've got some SS and it works as more of an accent to the rest of the feel you're trying to create, then metal/SS lights as feature lights can still work.  But that's where I'd ensure they were something that created a bit more interest (like the industrial feel ones).

Whats the overall colour scheme and style you're going for?  Other than the oven, what is the sink, handles and so on going to be made from?  

As an example, my kitchen is predominately black and white, with a few SS appliances thrown in.  I've gone for SS/metal (cant remember what they are made from, lol) spotlights, handles and sink etc, but it isn't the 'feature' of the kitchen.  I didn't want it too heavy with the SS appliances so the microwave and fridge are white, and in hindsight I could have gotten away with a white dishwasher too.

Did I just completely contradict what I said in my other post?  I think I did. laughing2.gif  Tounge1.gif

point taken.

Lol, I'm sorry I get a bit repetitive at times (or always, lol I just ramble Tounge1.gif).

Upon more reflection, have decided that we'll just do a single pendant, not more than 500mm in doameter I think.

I think that should work, and size wise you're right, anything over 500mm and it does start getting too big unless the space it's going into can balance it properly.

From what I've seen, most bathroom vanity lights look cheap and miserable.  It's like it's a forgotten light.

Yeah I've never really had a good look because I've not used them myself, but they do seem pretty meh mostly.  I guess what you could do (if it would suit the room) if you can't find any decent lights, is have the lights built in or behind the mirror, but it is variable as to whether or not it looks good.  I've seen it look very naff, lol.  Sort of like this.

DH wasn't keen on the leaf pendant but we both thought the orb pendant looked fabulous.  I have flicked off an email to see how big it is, what style bulb it takes and how would I go about getting one (we live in Newcastle). I hope it's affordable and easily transportable (or there is a local supplier)

I have done a bit more searching for a light for the dining room.  Blogged some ideas here.

I hope he replies quickly, he responded promptly when I inquired about the butterfly pendant.  The one I bought didn't come with the light fixture itself, just the shade, but the pendant fixture costs next to nothing, the electrician provided them for free when he installed the light, and I bought an SS one for my room for about $10 (bought the light from the US so had to change the electrical part of it).

I only know of one reseller in Vic but there may be others interstate.  The light I bought was around $300 from memory?  Which is a lot for a light in a childs room but I figured it's the sort of style that she'll like for a while so I'll get my monies worth.  I don't regret buying it, even if it cost more than the light in my bedroom. laughing2.gif  The Orb light might be a bit more expensive because of it's size and it's made from plywood, but then again it might not because it probably has less bits to it.  I hope you can work out a way to get it, I can't imagine there would be that much trouble getting one shipped to you.

Just had a quick look at the other lights on your blog, I think the drum pendants are a good light to go with, they are aren't as 'grand' in terms of wow factor and the like, but they are flexible in terms of adapting to changes in style and decor.  I think I prefer the Pod slightly more than the Donut, but it would be good if there was something a bit more interesting going on with the glass on the Pod.  The Donut may work better though, depending on what sort of table you're going with.  But I still like the idea of the Alex Earl light, so hopefully you get a reply soon!

Thanks for all your advice and input Amanda - I was hoping you'd reply.   biggrin.gif   You've brought up some great points to consider.

That's ok, sorry if I'm a bit rambly lol.

#9 ChickenortheEgg?

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Amanda_R, I always stalk your posts in this section  ph34r.gif

#10 Skip to my Lou

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Like your blog Yoda biggrin.gif

Amanda_R are you a light expert? I have learnt lots from your advice, I'm hating the light research atm.

#11 Amanda_R

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Skip to my Lou @ 05/04/2012, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amanda_R are you a light expert? I have learnt lots from your advice, I'm hating the light research atm.

Lol no, just opinionated. Tounge1.gif laughing2.gif

#12 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi again, it's me
QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 05/04/2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope he replies quickly, he responded promptly when I inquired about the butterfly pendant.  The one I bought didn't come with the light fixture itself, just the shade, but the pendant fixture costs next to nothing, the electrician provided them for free when he installed the light, and I bought an SS one for my room for about $10 (bought the light from the US so had to change the electrical part of it).

I only know of one reseller in Vic but there may be others interstate.  The light I bought was around $300 from memory?  Which is a lot for a light in a childs room but I figured it's the sort of style that she'll like for a while so I'll get my monies worth.  I don't regret buying it, even if it cost more than the light in my bedroom. laughing2.gif  The Orb light might be a bit more expensive because of it's size and it's made from plywood, but then again it might not because it probably has less bits to it.  I hope you can work out a way to get it, I can't imagine there would be that much trouble getting one shipped to you.

well after a few emails to Alex Earl Pinto to ask about the orb light, I finally got an answer.  It's 900mm in diameter, no stockists in NSW, cost is $2800 and freight would be $200.  So, as much as I love the light, it's not happening.  No way could I convince DH to spend $3000 on a single light, not in my life.  Plus, it's too big for the dining area.  cry1.gif  A bit sad really, because I really liked it, more than I realised.  I was hoping it would come in as affordable & a suitable size.

So, still on the hunt for a pendant light for the dining area.....

QUOTE (Amanda_R @ 05/04/2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just had a quick look at the other lights on your blog, I think the drum pendants are a good light to go with, they are aren't as 'grand' in terms of wow factor and the like, but they are flexible in terms of adapting to changes in style and decor.  I think I prefer the Pod slightly more than the Donut, but it would be good if there was something a bit more interesting going on with the glass on the Pod.  The Donut may work better though, depending on what sort of table you're going with.  But I still like the idea of the Alex Earl light, so hopefully you get a reply soon!

I think the Mara drum pendant will be our backstop default light for the dining area.  I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Thanks for the suggestions!

QUOTE (Skip to my Lou)
Amanda's great, isn't she?  It makes light research bearable when she offers a few suggestions.    She's great with all sorts of building/fixing/decorating wisdom. biggrin.gif

#13 Amanda_R

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

$2800?  Ooh that is depressingly painful. sad.gif  Too massive as well like you said.  What about something like katpaws has, it's a bit more of a common style so it may be easier and more affordable.  I'll have a look and grab the link to her thread where she shows it if you can't remember it off the top of your head.

Argh, I wish I could remember the company that made the pendant I saw in one of my mums decorating magazines last week.  It was around $695 and I've just checked the website which I thought sells it and it's not there.  It was along the lines of the plywood feature lights, but more of a vague shell type shape.  It might not be something you liked but I could see it working as a feature light.  I may have to call my mum and ask if I can't work out who makes it, for my own benefit if any because I'll drive myself nuts trying to work it out, lol.

I guess if you're willing, you could always design your own orb pendant inspired by Alex Earl and others, and get it cut, either from ply or even steel or similar.  It's actually a lot cheaper than you'd expect to get stuff laser cut, it would just be a matter of making the frame to fix it on and designing the panels.  You could practice with paper and card getting the right size and patterns etc.  Hell, on the plywood theme you could do all sorts of interesting things, chandeliers, a Tord Boontje style drum pendant, whatever suited your style really.  Actually, on the Tord Boontje theme, you could always DIY something like this:

http://mocoloco.com/archives/024900.php Boontje pendant from here and find a simple clear glass orb pendant somewhere.  Depends if you like his style or not though.  Or you could go for something fairly simple like this http://www.mattblatt.com.au/Pendants/Stefa...ht.aspx?p9112c0, it's not massively interesting but size wise it would probably work ok.

Ahh, it's so disappointing the light was so big and so expensive, I hate when that happens, get fixated on something and just can't have it.  I'm still pining after a floor lamp I love, but it's $1300 worth, I can't justify spending that much, as much as I love the damn thing!

#14 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

I've been light trawling again more possible lights

Opinions on these??   biggrin.gif

#15 Amanda_R

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

With the Elgo Oxana, do you know how the outer part of the light is fixed to the cables?  I don't mind it, and in the right space it could look nice, but I worry it's something you'd tire of after a while.  But if it's easily removable from the suspension cables then you could in theory replace it with something that suits a new style in the future.  The central orb is pretty simple so would blend with numerous outer 'shell' styles.

The Fiji pendant is like you said probably a touch on the bland side.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but isn't ideal if you do want the light to make a statement.

The knot 5 light pendant I don't actually mind even though it is very over the top.  Not something I'd ever use, but I have an easier job picturing that in spaces where it works than the Oxana.  But yeah it's definitely something that needs to work in the house it's put in, lol.

I like the Ritz for it's simplicity.  It's got a bit more interest than a plain pendant, and for some reason doesn't seem as bland as the Fiji, even though the Fiji probably really comes into it's own when it's actually turned on.  Without seeing the Ritz switched on, it's hard to say which one would look better, but in it's 'off' daytime state I prefer the Ritz.  Nice without being over the top.

The Romeo Louis II I'm not a massive fan of, purely because I think you'd have a harder time making it fit if your house was more of a modern style.  It would work well with other styles, but not so much a modern home (not really sure what you're aiming for though, of if I do it's fallen out of my brain, lol).  And I think part of the reason it puts me off is because I can't detach it for my lack of enthusiasm for crystalware, lol.  I just keep seeing a bowl hanging upside down from the ceiling. laughing2.gif

The Indo is funny, from the picture I'd have never imagined it was a fabric shade without looking really closely, I see it and just think it's frosted glass.  For a dining area you're sort of stuck with rectangular tables only with a light like that, otherwise it can seem odd, but if that's what you're going for then it'd work.

As for the kitchen pendants, my picks would probably be the Mercator Aries and the Cougar Carla.  I don't mind the Elgo Fargo but the colour puts me off.  However if you're wanting splashes of colour in the kitchen it could work nicely.  The Bastista is also not bad too, nice and simple.  Actually maybe I prefer that more.  I don't know! laughing2.gif  The Elgo Siren I don't mind, but I'm immediately reminded of the other more industrial style lights that have a similar shape, with just a bit more 'oomph'.

Crap, wasting time, better get DD#1 to school!  laughing2.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.