15 things you should never say to the mom of a large family
fluff

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CafeCat

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

15 reasons

For a laugh... but I actually found myself trying to memorise some of the come-backs  wink.gif

#2 ~Sorceress~

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

Very nice biggrin.gif .

Whenever I read these I feel grateful that I really haven't had that many nasty comments wink.gif.

#3 Jenmummy

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

huh.gif

Why are people so nasty about large families? 0_0

I've told people we want 4 and the comments are outrageous. 4 isn't even that big lol.

Edited by Jenmummy, 08 April 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#4 Cat©

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

lol - but they forgot the - do they all have the same father one!

#5 baking101

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm lurking in the wrong area, but I'm genuinely horrified that mums of many are being asked such questions! It just proves that it doesn't matter how many children you have (or don't in my case) people are such twits. You guys are doing an admirable job!

But funny comebacks :-)

#6 Jenferal

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Those comebacks are hilarious.

#7 Velvetta

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Cat© @ 08/04/2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get that! The break down of that question is just so insulting to so many involved.

Edited by Dorothea, 08 April 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#8 CrunchyNut

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

As a mum of 5 I have never been asked any of those questions  wink.gif

#9 My4Sunshines

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

When we announced #4 was on the way I got....
Don't you have a tv?

Why? (do you want more)

and my most unforgetable reaction from MIL...."Oh no!" ohmy.gif

Though I focus more on the happy comments we got and put the rest in the toilet wink.gif

#10 *maddierose*

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

l
ol - but they forgot the - do they all have the same father one!

I get that! The break down of that question is just so insulting to so many involved.

I had that when pregnant with number 3, but i think it was the large age gap that made people ask.

The only other comment i've had was the same man several times asking didn't i have a tv.
The last time he did it was infront of a big group of friends at a wedding and i replied "if you prefer to watch tv your not  doing it right". Since then he has kept his mouth shut and he was the one who turned out to look stupid.

#11 Pearson

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Cat© @ 08/04/2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had this and I have 2 children. (10 year age gap)

#12 muggins_00

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Willow Angel @ 08/04/2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had this and I have 2 children. (10 year age gap)

I was asked it by a gp when I was pregnant with my 2nd child (16.5 months gap), with my husband sitting next to me. Soe people are just a bt thick.

#13 Jenmummy

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

50 years ago, the average amount of kids a couple had was roughly 4 - I don't know why people who want the 4th are subjected to such torment these days.

Edited by Jenmummy, 08 April 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#14 7girly-girls

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

_

Edited by 7girly-girls, 16 June 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#15 Rachaelxxx

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hahahahahaha "Are They All Yours"  OMG if I had a dollar for every time I am asked this question I would be sooooo weathly.  I can understand the question and there is a right and wrong tone to use when asking this, but seriously my girls are all blonde with blue eyes, blind freddy can see they are all sisters lol

#16 Two-one-two

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I have 5 kids and I have never received any of these comments but an absolute doozy I did get just recently was from a lady at the local rec centre that has commented on my twin 20mth old daughters (numbers 4 & 5), saying they are cute etc etc.

So one day I jokingly said to her that if she thinks they are cute she can keep them and she says to me "no thats OK, I got one I liked the first time".

So she was implying that we kept having children until we got one we liked??

It knocked me for six I have to say, the only comeback I could come up with was a mumbled "so did we".

#17 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I too am lurking in the wrong area & an astounded that you guys get asked these things!

My Half-brother & his wife have 5 kids & their house is more peaceful than my BIL's & they only have 1 at the moment.

#18 TinyTeddys

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Some of those were quite rude! With my second we got asked 'was it planned?'. Following me third we got the 'don't you have a tv?' comment.

Why is it their business!?! Currently I'm being asked 'are you finished?' I just change the subject!

#19 Mamabug

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Two-one-two @ 17/04/2012, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So one day I jokingly said to her that if she thinks they are cute she can keep them and she says to me "no thats OK, I got one I liked the first time".

It knocked me for six I have to say, the only comeback I could come up with was a mumbled "so did we".

As a parent of four I have had a couple of the comments from the list.

But, perhaps the above comment is from the list o "what not to say to parents of 'only' one child"? Perhaps over the years she has developed a set of comebacks to people who make comment about her having one child?

Edited by Mamabug, 17 April 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#20 ~Sorceress~

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Two-one-two @ 17/04/2012, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My husband does the "We decided to keep trying until we got one we liked" line with impeccable timing wub.gif ...

#21 Brrrroooce!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

"Can I have one?"

#22 CafeCat

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

The most disturbing insinuation I have ever received was while waiting for the dentist with the kids. A woman asked if they were all mine and then wanted to know if any had disabilities... you know with all that watering down of the gene pool. Apparently you can't have quantity without a lessing of quality  rolleyes.gif

So after that comment all the others I have been subjected too are somewhat amateurish IMO

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.