Early risers.
Twins up at 4am:-(

13 replies to this topic

#1 Always amazed!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'm lost for things to do:(
Before daylight saving the girls were up between 5-5:30 which was bad enough but now it's 4-4:30am
I'm tired!!!!

They go to bed at 7pm
They have 1 day sleep 1-3 hours
They are fed at 5pm with milk and a snack before bed
They are not cold

Nothing I do will help them sleep in later.
Staying up late ect:-(

Sorry Just a little vent. I can't wait till there lazy teenagers and I can sleep in!!!

#2 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

I use the time to catch up on things that need organising before the day starts properly. I go for a walk if I can and get my lists ready for the day, have a long shower and get everyone else organised before they wake up. It's my quiet time. original.gif

#3 Carmen02

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

it becomes a really long day doesnt it!! my almost 10yr old is up real early, especially now its holidays she is up even earlier. For some reason my 17mth old DS thinks 5.30 is a great time lately

#4 LittleListen

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

Its not about getting them to sleep longer - 7pm - 4am is 9 hours which is pretty good really. You could try holding them up an hour later and see if that helps?

I'm an early riser - always have been. At 2 my parents bought me a clock and showed me how to read 7am. We were not allowed out of our rooms before then. We could play with anything and they often left out some toys and books in a basket for us in our rooms. At 7am we were allowed in to say good morning. We had that rule for years. I'm still an early riser (married to a night owl  rolleyes.gif and now I use the time to clean the house, put a load of washing on, read and exercise.

I crash out at 10pm, while DH doesn't come to bed til 2am and gets up at 9am every day. Our sleep patterns are similar but at different times.

Oh... lost my train of thought there, sorry OP - sleep is something I think a lot about!  Anyway my point was you are unlikely to be able to change the early rising thing, so maybe focus more on what they can and can't do in that time so you can get rest.

#5 overthehill

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

I feel your pain, both of my DS are early risers in fact DS1 woke up at 3.40am after changing the clocks one year mad.gif

I think over time they will go back towards 5.30 I would keep them up half an hour later because over about a week it could help, I know it doesn't if you do it once or twice.  I found that once they drop their sleep it changes a bit too.

With regards to getting things done, I can't function before 6am so I just lie on the sofa until I can find some energy to move!

#6 Mercurial

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

That's why cartoons start early in the morning  biggrin.gif

#7 Feral timtam

Have you tried blackout curtains and a white noise machine (to drown out bird noise)? We've had a bit of success with this, so it might be worth a try for you.

I'm an early riser by nature so my kids waking at ungodly hours doesn't bother me as I am usually awake anyway. Keeping the kids asleep a little longer is more for DH's benefit, as he has to be up at 4am for work on a weekday his weekend sleep ins are something he WON'T give up!

#8 EBeditor

How old are they? I would maybe limit there naps to 1 hr. I wouldn't put them to bed later as with my children it makes no difference - they just wake up at the same time, grumpy and tired.

#9 Chasing daisies

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Is the bedroom dark?
Make sure you have reall heavy  curtains in her bedroom.

#10 a letter to Elise.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

How old are they? Ds is 2.5, and we've recently taught him that he needs to go back to his room and play quietly or read books if it's dark when he looks at the window. It took sending him back to his room a few times for him to catch on, but now he waits till the sun is rising.

#11 pinkcupcakes

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (overthehill @ 03/04/2012, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With regards to getting things done, I can't function before 6am so I just lie on the sofa until I can find some energy to move!

this.. sometimes no matter what you try that is  just how the little ones are programmed. i have had a lot of sleep issues over the last couple of yrs with my  2.9 year old dd... these days ( and esp before ds comes along) she comes in and gets me up between 5.30 and 6am, and i do the toilet/snack/ drink thing for/with her, put her programs on, and i crash on the lounge. that way im there if she needs me but i can still get some rest. tthumbs.gif hope that helps.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

I actually found an EARLIER bedtime improved my kids' sleep. DD1 now goes to bed at 6pm, and DD2 goes to bed between 6.30 and 7.

Average wake up time is 6am, sometime slightly earlier because I am up at 5.30 getting ready for work and this sometimes wakes them.

Weekends we sometimes see 7am before they wake tthumbs.gif

I tried doing a later bedtime and that resulted in overtired kids who had really restless nights.

#13 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Some kids a just wired that way. My DD is one of them. I have tried absolutely everything, including me getting up at 430-5 to cover her again when I though it was being cold.

It's come to the point that all I can do is go to bed earlier myself, and have a movie she likes ready to play on the DVD player in my room. I can doze a bot longer while she watches it in my bed.

And I was excited about the lazy teen stage too... When DD stayed at my mums place the other week (just after my op, I got a night off lol) I slept for 9 whole hours... And woke up feeling like I had a hangover!

#14 Always amazed!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanx everyone!

I think i am just going to have to ride it out:)

The girls are 2 in 2 weeks..
Its mainly 1 of my girls who when she wakes up shes awake and ready for the day.. My other lady would go back to sleep in bed with us or at least lay there for awile..

I acnt function so i normally give them breekie and pop the telly on
That's why cartoons start early in the morning biggrin.gif

Cartoons font start till 6am! thats a whole hour and a half to fill!
:That's why cartoons start early in the morning biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

What not to say to a new mum

Some phrases just pop out before you really think about them, but there are some things you should try to not say to a new mum.

Why I'm glad to be an indulgent granny

The phone calls started a couple of weeks ago. At about 5.30 each evening - if I am lucky - I will be greeted by a sweet, excited voice declaring: "'Allo Annie".

Is this the worst relationship advice ever published?

You sometimes have to wonder whether relationship/sex advice from magazines is designed to help or humiliate.

How you talk to your baby now can impact social skills later

People used to think that social skills were something kids were born with, not taught.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Scientists predict when you should start a family

Scientists have calculated at exactly what age you need to start trying to get pregnant to have the best chance of realising your dream. 

Differently abled child

When 'protecting' a child is really a cover for judgement

Why are people so concerned for this happy child and his mother?

When toddlers have strange obsessions

When it comes to two-year-olds and birthday cakes there are a few requests that are usually at the top of the list. But a cake featuring a local personal injury lawyer?

When Mama Bear strikes

When we become mums, our instinct to protect our children and keep them safe from harm is so strong we're often likened to a Mama Bear protecting her cubs.  

Immunity boosters for kids

There are no guaranteed ways to avoid the dreaded winter illnesses completely, but there are ways we can boost our children's immunity.

Mum shares portrait of her proudly breastfeeding three-year-old

Jade Beall usually chooses to breastfeed her son, now 3, in private. This week, however, she shared portraits of her breastfeeding her preschooler.

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.