This weeks photo challenge is...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Abbygirl

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

This weeks photo challenge is capturing action by using fast shutter speeds!

I love speed photography, you never know exactly how your photo is going to turn out, it's exciting and strangely satisfying freezing moving objects.
It's also a great way to learn the functions on your camera, and learn new skills.

The subject matter can be of anything you like as long as you've frozen motion using your shutter speed original.gif

Googling will give heaps of information for those unsure of how to achieve fast shutter speeds. But you basically want to have your shutter speed above 1/1000

and a couple of photos as examples..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marikagirl/68.../in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marikagirl/70...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marikagirl/70...in/photostream/

I'm so excited to see the entries!!

The rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge history for the winner:

Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull
Circle - mummy26
Coke - rbat
Abstract - mummy26
The Natural World - Abbygirl
Bokeh - blue4me
Love - Abbygirl
Favourite things - Red Cabbage
Creepy crawlies - Goggles
Four Colours - Nut
Take a walk - Jalex
Christmas - rbat
Relax - Mummy26
Fear - Peanut
Solitude - Mr Gadget
3 - iplantedpeastoday
10 mins from home & low light - staremperor
Hair - Raven74
Somewhere to Sit - paris-stella
Elegance - rbat
Food, Glorious Food - Staremperor
Architecture from a different point of view - ~spirited~
Painting with light - Angel#82
Express Yourself - BlueLavander
Water - rbat
Springtime - madreader
Rustic - ~spirited~
The Domestic Interior - Staremperor
Emotion- I sowed peas today
Medical/Health Care - madreader
Creatures Great and Small - Red Cabbage
Baby/Kids - MonieG
My Town-Boysrus
Yellow- lady_luck
Taste - Jalex
Warmth- madreader
Diptych/Triptych - LouLuu
The Daily Grind **ladybug**
Architecture- Kat5
Your Street - Nut
Minimalism- Ev
Song Title - millie71
Hunger - angel82
From a different perspective: Gemnic
Landscape (without people please) - Lilliewhite
Signs of Autumn - Ev
Action - Macbeth
Elements - raven74
Vintage - rbat
Australia - Red Cabbage
The Letter L - *~Bluebird~*
Fairy tales - me3922
Black and white - lady_luck
Feet - Peanut
Portrait - Lou~c

#2 mummy26

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Ohh, one of my favourite themes, might try out my sound trigger original.gif

#3 Bryden

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Congrats Abbygirl, yours was a beautiful image.

Great topic choice - I would have of picked something similar, the whole motion thing (both slow and fast captures) often stumps me. I'm really looking forward to this weeks challenge!

Mummy26 - sound trigger? I think I need to go google blush.gif

T

Edited by Bryden, 03 April 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#4 mummy26

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

A friend made it for me, it's an awesome contraption

#5 Abbygirl

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'd love to have a sound trigger, that would be awesome!

#6 mummy26

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

My entry unless I get a better one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28286225@N02/.../in/photostream

#7 madreader

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

2012-04-03_IMG_8981psd by madreader, on Flickr

Hi all - look, I FINALLY got an entry in!
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with - please note birds are FAR more difficult to capture than I was expecting, especially with my kit zoom lens.
Hope everyone & their families are well, or getting better at least.
Cheers

PS - Ohhhh, a sound trigger, I didn't know they existed!

#8 Mrs SW

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Loving yours Mummy26!

#9 mummy26

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Thanks Mrs SW original.gif
On the sound trigger, finding a ready made one is expensive. A friend made mine and his using a YouTube tutorial, all up it cost about $40. It's quite an ugly thing but it is really sensitive. I didn't use it for my photo, I should have, I would have got the crown nice and sharp. I was running out of light so  couldn't get the shutter speed fast enough

#10 rbat

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Congratulations on your win M original.gif

My week has been crazy busy, will try and go out tomorrow.

#11 Peanut

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

This was  a tricky one, my camera really struggled with it (cough, cough!).  I was dealing with blurriness, loud noise, burnouts, darkness....the camera that is, not me!  My poor girl really needs to be replaced, I'm just waiting for our overseas trip so I can get a new camera duty free.   biggrin.gif

Okay, I'll go with this one.  This is my boy, dashing down to the sea.  It was chilly in but that didn't stop him!

To the sea!

Edited by Peanut, 08 April 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#12 SW-

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I think this fits the brief.

wave by silver wattle, on Flickr

Peanut, very hard to choose between your two shots.  I think I like, To the sea more.  Really hard when you put up two great shots!

#13 Jupiter123

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

2 Little Ducks by Jupiter_123, on Flickr

They are moving, I swear  biggrin.gif

Okay so I was originally going to use the above image, but we went to the local indoor play centre today to let off some steam and ended up with this one.

Lets Play by Jupiter_123, on Flickr

Edited by jupiter123, 09 April 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#14 rbat

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Coming in for landing

This might be my last photo for a while, my camera has come up with an error 99 and is not switching on past that message. I'm a little devastated  cry1.gif.

#15 Peanut

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Oh no Bec, I feel your pain.   sad.gif

#16 SW-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Oh rbat,  hope your camera is ok......will keep my fingers, toes and  legs crossed for you.  

#17 mummy26

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Very common error apparently, try this
http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005...contact-points/

Hope it works

#18 rbat

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Ali, we tried that yesterday and unfortunately it still isn't working. I was so hopeful when I found that site too. As soon as you turn it on, there is a little 'seeking' sound and then the error message comes up. The camera is 4 years old and I've never had any issues up until yesterday. Just sucks having to wait until Tuesday before I can even make phone calls about getting it fixed.

It's my birthday today, perhaps I need a new camera as a present  wink.gif. LOL I wish I could afford one!

#19 winkwink

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Happy Birthday Bec, hope R surprises you with a 5D MKIII grin.gif

#20 Peanut

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Happy Birthday Bec, hope you get a VERY nice birthday present!   biggrin.gif

#21 SW-

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Happy birthday rbat,  hope you have a lovley day

#22 rbat

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks girls original.gif

Wendy, OMG, how nice would that be! LOL It will not happen though!

#23 Luckyseven

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Happy Birthday Bec! Hope you can sort out your camera...I am having a similar devastating moment, my iphoto wont open on my imac with all my photos in it!!! I have alot of them backed up but not from the last 12 months, I am gutted! All the things I read on google say it could be corrupted : ( So not what I want to hear  cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif    

#24 rbat

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Oh Sam sad.gif I hope you can recover them. A similar thing happened to me with our old computer. We lost 6 months worth of photos. I had some on Facebook luckily but the quality is not the same. I hope you can recover them xx

#25 Jupiter123

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Happy birthday Bec. Hope you can get your camera sorted quick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.