Does any one else have this problem with their Ergo?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deejie

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Recently I purchsed the Ergo carrier and I love love love it. Except for one problem-- poo.

I don't know if it is just the position that DS2 is in (4 months, sitting on the booster cushion but no newborn insert around him), but every time he poos in the Ergo it shoots out the top of the nappy, stains his shirt and soaks through to the carrier sad.gif

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you address it? Or is DS2 just a power poo-er?

#2 3_for_me

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'd say it's related to them being held tightly in it, I did have that issue once with a hug a bub.  You should find things settle as he starts to eat solids and things get a bit more 'solid' down there original.gif

#3 JustOneMorePlease

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I have a different problem with my ergo. My DS is 9 weeks and I can't get his legs wide enough to go around me so I have them inside the ergo. But this means he braces against the bottom and stands up all the time. It makes it impossible for me to wear him in it when every time he is standing up and arching his back. What age were your babys legs able to go around you?

In regards to the poo problem. This happens every time my DS poos no matter where he is. I have about 30 secs to change his nappy or he ends up needing a bath!

#4 Steggles

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Chubbles @ 02/04/2012, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a different problem with my ergo. My DS is 9 weeks and I can't get his legs wide enough to go around me so I have them inside the ergo. But this means he braces against the bottom and stands up all the time. It makes it impossible for me to wear him in it when every time he is standing up and arching his back. What age were your babys legs able to go around you?

In regards to the poo problem. This happens every time my DS poos no matter where he is. I have about 30 secs to change his nappy or he ends up needing a bath!

Do you not use the infant insert?

No poop issue sorry!!!

#5 Filulah

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Chubbles, until babies are about 4 or 5 months old, they are supposed to go in the infant insert, which tucks their legs inside in the correct way. My little one absolutely hated the infant insert, and so did I. It is not weather appropriate for any season. Even in the midst of Winter, it was extremely hot. However, they're just too little to go in the Ergo without it, until that 4-5 month mark.

Re the OP, no poop, but when my husband used to put our eldest in the Baby Bjorn (I never used it, it was terrible), it always brought up lots of burps. Maybe something about getting tighly held in an upright position squeezes something out of either end...

Edited by Filulah, 02 April 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#6 jules77

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Chubbles @ 02/04/2012, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We had the insert but I couldn't get the hang of it. Instead, I used to just put DS2 in the ergo in the same sort of position - knees up but just lower than his bottom. He was quite happy in this position.

I've had him in the regular legs out position for a few months now - he's 6 months.

#7 Cranky Kitten

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Using the cushion from the insert without the silly quilted part of the insert is fine once they have a bit of head control. Much cooler too. It might solve the standing up problem as it puts him into a more comfortable position for his age with legs together rather than around you.

As for the poo problem, does it happen with a disposable nappy or cloth? My DS can squirt through any disposable no matter where he is, but I very rarely get poosplosions with him in a MCN.

#8 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I haven't found that but we haven't had a lot of poos whilst wearing it and we use cloth which seem to contain poos better for us than disposables, with disposables I found it went up bubs back all the time.  We used a sleepywrap til we hit 4-5 months then the ergo.

#9 JustOneMorePlease

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Filulah @ 02/04/2012, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chubbles, until babies are about 4 or 5 months old, they are supposed to go in the infant insert, which tucks their legs inside in the correct way. My little one absolutely hated the infant insert, and so did I. It is not weather appropriate for any season. Even in the midst of Winter, it was extremely hot. However, they're just too little to go in the Ergo without it, until that 4-5 month mark.

Don't worry I have been using the insert and tucking his legs in. That's how he is able to stand up. Maybe I'm not using it correctly.

#10 Tesseract

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Chubbles @ 03/04/2012, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry I have been using the insert and tucking his legs in. That's how he is able to stand up. Maybe I'm not using it correctly.

Hum, I used the insert, and had her knees tucked up into it, but with her feet out of it. Does that make sense? She could never have stood up...

In regards to poo, lol I'm glad to say we didn't have that issue! It's probably the nice curled position. Could you try some bicycle legs and sucking on something (dummy, finger) before you put him in it to try to coax a poo out before you go?

#11 WinterIsComing

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Our issue is that our 11 weeker loves to sleep in Ergo by pressing his face directly into our chests.

It freaks us out, there is hardly any airflow around his nose/face, and we worry about suffocation.

What does everyone else think about it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.