$440 Parking Fine
update at post #55

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#226 RichardParker

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Lightning_bug @ 04/04/2012, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some places they can afford just to charge for time and in others, due to the flow of traffic and the need for over-turn, the implement time limits to give other's a chance.

So just charge more for the shorter stay places - people either move in fifteen minutes or pay more for the spot.  It's better than punishing people for thinking they're going to be fifteen minutes and the appointment ends up being an hour.  That's not behaviour you should punish.

They're not stealing parking time, in the same way that you can steal a horse, they're just overstaying the limit, most of the time, it's accidental.  And, much of the time, with those time limits, especially around work-places, everyone just moves their car to another 2 hour or four hour spot, 10 metres down the road.  In that case, you're not really over-turning at all, just making everybody move their cars 10 metres every few hours just to avoid a fine.  Complete waste of everyone's time and money.

#227 steppy

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Reading about the size of some parking fees around shopping centres and such (never mind fines for overstaying), I'm really surprised that more people aren't shopping over the web and even more surprised that retailers would expect them not to.  There is simply no way I would pay $9 to park for half an hour. I'd just avoid that area.

#228 mks81

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have a disabled permit myself but actually think you should write to council explaining about your sick child. I personally think it may be justified in at least getting the fine reduced.

#229 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

For the self ascribed nimble minded who are here for a social experiment this thread has it all. People mindlessly repeating inaccuracies, people making false claims, people assuming they understand the intent of others. It's looking like a genuine exercise in stupidity by a minority. What appears to be clear though is how resolutely determined the self absorbed are.

Greenbag your "solutions" to parking turnover are proving how determined many are to flout the deterrent despite any inconvenience. There are other factors at play with this type of decision making, much of which is focused on personal convenience over and above consideration of others. Laws are usually made with consideration for all believe it or not.

#230 Fish-Faced Moll

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

For the self ascribed nimble minded who are here for a social experiment

LOLOL, burn.

#231 Soontobegran

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Buy Me A Pony ! @ 04/04/2012, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the self ascribed nimble minded who are here for a social experiment this thread has it all. People mindlessly repeating inaccuracies, people making false claims, people assuming they understand the intent of others. It's looking like a genuine exercise in stupidity by a minority. What appears to be clear though is how resolutely determined the self absorbed are.

Just because I feel it is worth reading again!

#232 follies

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Display anemone @ 04/04/2012, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not where I park.

Help st car park

Car Park Rates
0 - 0.5 hr $9.00 0.5 - 1 hr $19.00 1 - 2 hrs $29.00 2 - 3 hrs $39.00 3 + hrs $49.00

The Chase and Westfield are only allowed to charge $5 for 3+ hours and no more than $40 for 8+ hours/lost ticket. One year the westfield tried to reduce the free parking limit to 2 hours and were threatened with all sorts of fines. Help street is a council owned car park so obviously they can do whatever they want as it is different story when you are taking the cash. Also if you are willing to walk the whole of 5 minutes it is easy to find unlimited street parking, I wouldn't call it an unsafe area.

#233 Soontobegran

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (GreenBagCat @ 04/04/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're not stealing parking time, in the same way that you can steal a horse, they're just overstaying the limit, most of the time, it's accidental.  And, much of the time, with those time limits, especially around work-places, everyone just moves their car to another 2 hour or four hour spot, 10 metres down the road.  In that case, you're not really over-turning at all, just making everybody move their cars 10 metres every few hours just to avoid a fine.  Complete waste of everyone's time and money.

What about those people driving into an area looking for a car park who perhaps haven't needed to be there all day?
Timed car parks are to allow throughput. People are supposed to go and move their cars which actually frees up their space for another car that is looking for one.
If you need a car park all day then you find an all day car park or take public transport.

#234 RichardParker

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Buy Me A Pony ! @ 04/04/2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greenbag your "solutions" to parking turnover are proving how determined many are to flout the deterrent despite any inconvenience. There are other factors at play with this type of decision making, much of which is focused on personal convenience over and above consideration of others. Laws are usually made with consideration for all believe it or not.

I'm sure you're right.  But council's don't have the right (IMO) to punish people for being inconsiderate.  Put a price on, yes, but not punish.  The council isn't my mother.  If I'm inconsiderate, and decide that I need a one hour car-space for two hours, I should just be charged what that costs the community, not punished with a fine like a naughty child.  Why assume I'm an evil person trying to steal parking?  Why not assume I've read the sign wrong, or been caught up, or, made a decision that I really need this parking space right now, and allow me simply to pay for the parking that I've used?

All it requires is a change of perspective on behalf of lawmakers who view the general population as mischievous and dishonest.  Why not build a culture of trust and honesty?  I'd much rather invest money in a community by exercising choice than have it taken off me by force in fines.

#235 RichardParker

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 04/04/2012, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about those people driving into an area looking for a car park who perhaps haven't needed to be there all day?
Timed car parks are to allow throughput. People are supposed to go and move their cars which actually frees up their space for another car that is looking for one.
If you need a car park all day then you find an all day car park or take public transport.

I understand what timed car parks are there for.  I'm just saying we should make the overstaying COST a lot as opposed it risking a punitive FINE.  Make the car park free for the first two hours, then $60 per hour (or whatever) after that.  That will still achieve through-put, because most people won't want to pay that much for parking.  But for the few that DO get caught up with something beyond their control, or they make a conscious decision to stay longer, they're not risking a fine, they're just choosing to pay for what they use.  It's a subtle difference but I think it treats the population with respect, rather than viewing them as selfish parking thieves who need to be slapped on the wrist at every opportunity.

ETA - I'm not actually here for a social experiment and consider myself far from nimble minded.  I do actually believe that parking fines for overstaying time-limits are unjust.  I also think they are a completely different kettle of fish to fines imposed for parking in spots reserved for PWD.

Edited by GreenBagCat, 04 April 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#236 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Behaviour modification is about the carrot or stick Greenbag. We have a balance of both but you're actually advocating for stick whilst insisting it's a carrot. Financial penalty is still penalty whether you call it's a fine or a charge. The interplay is why people decide it's ok to overstay. Many look at that risk as being worth it.

#237 I'm Batman

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm finding this thread so bizzare.

If you can't afford the fine in a whole amount, just pay regular sums and they don't go to enforcement.

Making a judgement error doesn't make you a bad person. You just have to live within the law or deal with the mistakes you've made. Throwing a big tanty and trying to get out of the fine means you really don't understand why you've been fined. It's not about something feeling unfair to you, it's not just about you, the disabled parking is there to level the playing field for those who can't walk, or can't walk far.

The disadvantage you may feel because of the fine is just a drop in the ocean compared to the financial and personal costs of experiencing a lack of mobility.

#238 RichardParker

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'm not insisting it's a carrot at all.  I know it's still a cost.  But it's a cost in the form of a conscious decision to pay, as opposed to a punishment imposed.  Deciding to risk getting a fine is different to deciding to pay a premium for a convenience.

Many people will risk the possibility of getting a fine, but fewer will agree to certainly pay a premium for the extra parking.  I would argue (and am sure that psychological evidence on risk assessment and behaviour would support) that you would actually get fewer people overstaying their parking if they knew FOR CERTAIN they'd have to pay more, than you would if they knew there's A CHANCE of getting fined.

So if the goal of these altruistic lawmakers really is to achieve equity of parking via through-put of cars, they would implement an evidence-based system that plays on the real behaviour of people when it comes to risk taking.

#239 Gumbette

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (GreenBagCat @ 04/04/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And, much of the time, with those time limits, especially around work-places, everyone just moves their car to another 2 hour or four hour spot, 10 metres down the road.

Slightly off topic but I think they fine you for that too.  If you're still in the same stretch of parking with the same time limit, it doesn't matter whether you move it 1 spot down the road or 10, they can still fine you as if you haven't moved at all.

#240 itsaboysworld

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

IN our region the disabled parking permits are valid for I think two years and its up to the permit holder to ensure they apply to a new one within the valid time. I once unknowingly parked in a disabled parking spot the day after my permit had expired. I was fully entitled to a new permit and got one the following day.

HOWEVER, I was fined on the day after my permit had expired and I sucked it up and paid the fine as I hadnt adhered to the rules.

People throw around the term entitlement here pretty often but this really the a matter of that. I am not "entitled" because I fit the criteria, I am only entitled to use those parks if I abide by the laws governing them.

Edited by itsaboysworld, 04 April 2012 - 10:42 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.