Playing netball in early pg

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Oh dear

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi all

I have had a suprise BFP in the last few days and our netball season starts this weekend coming.

Because we werent TTC or even considering another bub i have been training for the start of the netball season with the intention to play all year.

Now my problem is the unexpected BFP.  I can't all of a sudden tell anyone i'm not playing now because the first thing they will assume is that i am PG.  This is a small country football netball, everyone knows everyone type club.

I thought i would probably play the first few games and see how i feel after that, but already i know that i'm not going to go as 'hard' as i normally would.  That in itself may be a give away for the people who know me.

So what i need is some excuses, i do have sciatica which does keep me off the court every now and then.  My BF is the trainer so its going to be hard to get anything past her, because she does know me so well.

The other aspect is the lack of alcohol wink.gif  laughing2.gif

The fact that i don't have a rum in my hand after the game is going to be a give away as well.  

We have just got a new car, so i can use the excuse that i am driving but again it will only last for a couple of weeks before some people get suss.

So my question is,  did/do you continue to play sport after a BFP and how do you keep it a secret in such a small club?  What excuses did you come up with?

#2 Honeymummy

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hmm thought it was a non contact sport??

I was wakeboarding up until about 12 weeks. I had a few stacks that made me want to take it a bit easier.

But we didnt care if people found out I was pregnant early or not - so not sure about excuses there!

#3 sentimentalist

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

perfectly fine, in my opinion, for you to play.

I played with pregnancy number 3 , up until I was 20 weeks pregnant. If i did it again I'd stop around 14-16 weeks.

As for drinking, try the 'I'm on a health kick... doing a detox... driving... on antibiotics... until you're ready to spread the news.

#4 minidiamond

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Congrats on your BFP !  If it were me, I wouldn't play - but then I'm old & had two early m/cs.  I also umpire/d netball - it most certainly is a contact sport !

I got my first BFP while playing but wasn't in a 'tight' group - so I just told them I was PG & couldn't play anymore.  They weren't amongst my close circle of friends so that made it easy.

I kept up personal training as it's much easier to modify obviously.

If you don't play centre court, can you drop back to GK or GS and cite your sciatica as playing up ?  That way it won't be so obvious if you don't go hard (like us centre court players who run around like madwomen, hehe).

BTW, I like your re-hydration techniques - rum ??

Seriously .. maybe ask your GP what he/she thinks on the netball question ?

Edited by Liltuss, 02 April 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#5 le_auteur

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I played until I didn't feel comfortable playing anymore (I play hard, if there's a tussle on court, it usually involved me!). I play mixed and ladies and I stopped around 8w because I was a) frustrated at having to hold back a bit, and b) didn't feel as though the (small) risk was worth it after that. A girl on my ladies team played until about 18w - that's much longer than I would have gone. I think you're relatively safe to play until your uterus begins to move up and put of the protective zone of the pelvis, around 12w for most people. Before then it's quite protected. In terms of excercising, you're fine to continue doing what you were doing prior to being PG. If you're comfortable, keep playing original.gif

#6 Oh dear

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Wow 20 weeks! I would still like to play but maybe until about 10wks.

The only reason we (me) are not telling anyone because this is a suprise 4th baby. This after i have emphatically (sp?) told people for the last 3 yrs that we are done. rolleyes.gif

It is also a second prenancy. I'm not good at keeping second pregnancies. sad.gif

edited to add:

Liltuss i usually play in GD if i can, but to play WD as well. Dropping back to GK maybe an option.

if there's a tussle on court, it usually involved me!).

laughing2.gif  me too!  It can certainly be a contact sport.

Edited by Oh dear, 02 April 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#7 DEVOCEAN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Honeymummy @ 02/04/2012, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm thought it was a non contact sport??

Netball a non contact sport?  biggrin.gif biggrin.gif  
That's funny.

I know women that have played netball until 20-26wks. I also know a woman who play soccer until she was 24wks and then she was back playing 2wks after a csection.

#8 sentimentalist

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

original.gif yep 20 weeks. (from memory, may have 18/19 but I was well and truly showing) I too play GD but moved into GK, was playing twice a week but they felt it unfair to the other team as people were not ocming near me!

Congrats too on the pregnancy, pregnancy 4 here for me too now and also a suprise after telling people for years no more for me!

#9 jess1980

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I played basketball until I was 25 weeks pregnant with my last pregnancy but this time round I stopped at 10 weeks as I'm pregnant with twins so thought I'd better stop

#10 deejie

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I played with DS1 to 16 weeks (ladie's comp) and to 12 weeks in the mixed comp. Same for DS2.

The mixed comp I stopped a bit earlier because it is rougher. It was not unusual for me to be bumped, bowled over and generally pushed around by the blokes in the goal circle.

In the ladie's comp I went from GA to GS for the last 4 weeks of the comp.

#11 Phoenix Blue

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

This pregnancy I played ladies until 17 weeks. The last couple of weeks I found tough as I just couldn't move as fast as I wanted. But I was very comfortable playing to 14 weeks, mostly C and WA. Last games I dropped back to shooter.

I'd continue playing, it's great exercise, great for keeping MS at bay, and great for your mental state.

As a PP said, tell them you've joined a health kick (12 week body challenge or something) and you're not drinking.

Edited by Phoenix Blue, 02 April 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#12 Batfink

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I played for a few months into pregnancy (didn't really start getting a belly until 6 months). I played mixed so it was pretty rough at times! Only injury I sustained, thank goodness, was an elbow to my very sensitive boobs!

#13 wannabe30

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I played to 17 weeks and stopped when I started getting SPD. You might find that pregnancy aggravates your sciatica and you have to stop anyway.

I usually play quite aggressively but I just started taking it a bit easier from about 12 weeks. No one guessed.

#14 soontobegran

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

The recommendations are not to start a new sport in the early weeks of pregnancy but if you are fit and it is a game you are used to playing and you do not have a history of pregnancy complications then your little one is most likely very snug and safe in there.
Lots of elite netballers and basketballers play into their second trimester.
As for the drinking just tell them you have a 'fatty' liver and you are trying to detox.

#15 Gen71

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

In the first trimester, it is important not to overheat. They recommend not letting your heart rate get over 120. Increased HR & body temp are what puts the baby at risk, not the contact or movement of netball.

I'm sure there are very fit people who could play a whole game of netball and not get their HR over 120, but I'm certainly not one!  After an early miscarriage, I cut my exercise right back in 1st trimester of subsequent pregnancies. I would also be cautious of ligament/joint injuries as the relaxin kicks in through the pregnancy. I did my Knee last year playing netball, and would not wish that on anyone, ESP while pregnant.

As for excuses, pull out the sciatica, maybe followed with a bout of gastro, that could be treated with antibiotics, which don't allow you to drink!

Congrats & good luck

#16 spottydog

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

No way would i do netball whilst pregnant, so risky imo.

But i have had fertility issues, and early losses, mc etc, so i am the wrong person to answer.

Is this your first pregnacy?

With my last pregnancy, that ended in miscarriage, i was so sick i couldnt drink water, let alone go and do sport, so you may not have a choice in a few weeks.

As for excuses, only you know what things would work with your group of friends....

Congratulations and good luck.

spotty.

#17 Girlo

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

More than likely, you and your baby will be fine. But I know I would have felt uncomfortable playing against someone who I knew to be pregnant. It's not like you can go hard at the ball when you may run into a pregnant woman!

Personally, I stopped playing at around 9 weeks, because that was the end of the season, but I was pretty nervous for those few weeks!

And congrats!!

Edited by Girlo, 02 April 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#18 regandrog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Just a tip on the alcohol thing, could you get a glass and just pretend to drink it?

I know I did this at a dinner party once, I had a glass of wine and I pretended to sip at it and DH was actually drinking it so it would go down and get topped up.

#19 Phoenix Blue

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (tessa4 @ 02/04/2012, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They recommend not letting your heart rate get over 120. Increased HR & body temp are what puts the baby at risk

The figure bandied around is actually 140, but the doctor who first suggested this many, many years ago, retracted it again quite quickly. But it seems to have stuck around without any real medical backing.

If you are fit and healthy, you will not risk your baby exercising with a HR over 140. As soontobegran said, many elite athletes continue exercising at high intensity. Just go with how you feel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.