Playing netball in early pg

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Oh dear

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hi all

I have had a suprise BFP in the last few days and our netball season starts this weekend coming.

Because we werent TTC or even considering another bub i have been training for the start of the netball season with the intention to play all year.

Now my problem is the unexpected BFP.  I can't all of a sudden tell anyone i'm not playing now because the first thing they will assume is that i am PG.  This is a small country football netball, everyone knows everyone type club.

I thought i would probably play the first few games and see how i feel after that, but already i know that i'm not going to go as 'hard' as i normally would.  That in itself may be a give away for the people who know me.

So what i need is some excuses, i do have sciatica which does keep me off the court every now and then.  My BF is the trainer so its going to be hard to get anything past her, because she does know me so well.

The other aspect is the lack of alcohol wink.gif  laughing2.gif

The fact that i don't have a rum in my hand after the game is going to be a give away as well.  

We have just got a new car, so i can use the excuse that i am driving but again it will only last for a couple of weeks before some people get suss.

So my question is,  did/do you continue to play sport after a BFP and how do you keep it a secret in such a small club?  What excuses did you come up with?

#2 Honeymummy

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hmm thought it was a non contact sport??

I was wakeboarding up until about 12 weeks. I had a few stacks that made me want to take it a bit easier.

But we didnt care if people found out I was pregnant early or not - so not sure about excuses there!

#3 sentimentalist

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

perfectly fine, in my opinion, for you to play.

I played with pregnancy number 3 , up until I was 20 weeks pregnant. If i did it again I'd stop around 14-16 weeks.

As for drinking, try the 'I'm on a health kick... doing a detox... driving... on antibiotics... until you're ready to spread the news.

#4 minidiamond

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Congrats on your BFP !  If it were me, I wouldn't play - but then I'm old & had two early m/cs.  I also umpire/d netball - it most certainly is a contact sport !

I got my first BFP while playing but wasn't in a 'tight' group - so I just told them I was PG & couldn't play anymore.  They weren't amongst my close circle of friends so that made it easy.

I kept up personal training as it's much easier to modify obviously.

If you don't play centre court, can you drop back to GK or GS and cite your sciatica as playing up ?  That way it won't be so obvious if you don't go hard (like us centre court players who run around like madwomen, hehe).

BTW, I like your re-hydration techniques - rum ??

Seriously .. maybe ask your GP what he/she thinks on the netball question ?

Edited by Liltuss, 02 April 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#5 le_auteur

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I played until I didn't feel comfortable playing anymore (I play hard, if there's a tussle on court, it usually involved me!). I play mixed and ladies and I stopped around 8w because I was a) frustrated at having to hold back a bit, and b) didn't feel as though the (small) risk was worth it after that. A girl on my ladies team played until about 18w - that's much longer than I would have gone. I think you're relatively safe to play until your uterus begins to move up and put of the protective zone of the pelvis, around 12w for most people. Before then it's quite protected. In terms of excercising, you're fine to continue doing what you were doing prior to being PG. If you're comfortable, keep playing original.gif

#6 Oh dear

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Wow 20 weeks! I would still like to play but maybe until about 10wks.

The only reason we (me) are not telling anyone because this is a suprise 4th baby. This after i have emphatically (sp?) told people for the last 3 yrs that we are done. rolleyes.gif

It is also a second prenancy. I'm not good at keeping second pregnancies. sad.gif

edited to add:

Liltuss i usually play in GD if i can, but to play WD as well. Dropping back to GK maybe an option.

if there's a tussle on court, it usually involved me!).

laughing2.gif  me too!  It can certainly be a contact sport.

Edited by Oh dear, 02 April 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#7 DEVOCEAN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Honeymummy @ 02/04/2012, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm thought it was a non contact sport??

Netball a non contact sport?  biggrin.gif biggrin.gif  
That's funny.

I know women that have played netball until 20-26wks. I also know a woman who play soccer until she was 24wks and then she was back playing 2wks after a csection.

#8 sentimentalist

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

original.gif yep 20 weeks. (from memory, may have 18/19 but I was well and truly showing) I too play GD but moved into GK, was playing twice a week but they felt it unfair to the other team as people were not ocming near me!

Congrats too on the pregnancy, pregnancy 4 here for me too now and also a suprise after telling people for years no more for me!

#9 jess1980

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I played basketball until I was 25 weeks pregnant with my last pregnancy but this time round I stopped at 10 weeks as I'm pregnant with twins so thought I'd better stop

#10 deejie

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I played with DS1 to 16 weeks (ladie's comp) and to 12 weeks in the mixed comp. Same for DS2.

The mixed comp I stopped a bit earlier because it is rougher. It was not unusual for me to be bumped, bowled over and generally pushed around by the blokes in the goal circle.

In the ladie's comp I went from GA to GS for the last 4 weeks of the comp.

#11 Phoenix Blue

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

This pregnancy I played ladies until 17 weeks. The last couple of weeks I found tough as I just couldn't move as fast as I wanted. But I was very comfortable playing to 14 weeks, mostly C and WA. Last games I dropped back to shooter.

I'd continue playing, it's great exercise, great for keeping MS at bay, and great for your mental state.

As a PP said, tell them you've joined a health kick (12 week body challenge or something) and you're not drinking.

Edited by Phoenix Blue, 02 April 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#12 Batfink

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

I played for a few months into pregnancy (didn't really start getting a belly until 6 months). I played mixed so it was pretty rough at times! Only injury I sustained, thank goodness, was an elbow to my very sensitive boobs!

#13 wannabe30

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I played to 17 weeks and stopped when I started getting SPD. You might find that pregnancy aggravates your sciatica and you have to stop anyway.

I usually play quite aggressively but I just started taking it a bit easier from about 12 weeks. No one guessed.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

The recommendations are not to start a new sport in the early weeks of pregnancy but if you are fit and it is a game you are used to playing and you do not have a history of pregnancy complications then your little one is most likely very snug and safe in there.
Lots of elite netballers and basketballers play into their second trimester.
As for the drinking just tell them you have a 'fatty' liver and you are trying to detox.

#15 Gen71

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

In the first trimester, it is important not to overheat. They recommend not letting your heart rate get over 120. Increased HR & body temp are what puts the baby at risk, not the contact or movement of netball.

I'm sure there are very fit people who could play a whole game of netball and not get their HR over 120, but I'm certainly not one!  After an early miscarriage, I cut my exercise right back in 1st trimester of subsequent pregnancies. I would also be cautious of ligament/joint injuries as the relaxin kicks in through the pregnancy. I did my Knee last year playing netball, and would not wish that on anyone, ESP while pregnant.

As for excuses, pull out the sciatica, maybe followed with a bout of gastro, that could be treated with antibiotics, which don't allow you to drink!

Congrats & good luck

#16 spottydog

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

No way would i do netball whilst pregnant, so risky imo.

But i have had fertility issues, and early losses, mc etc, so i am the wrong person to answer.

Is this your first pregnacy?

With my last pregnancy, that ended in miscarriage, i was so sick i couldnt drink water, let alone go and do sport, so you may not have a choice in a few weeks.

As for excuses, only you know what things would work with your group of friends....

Congratulations and good luck.

spotty.

#17 Girlo

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

More than likely, you and your baby will be fine. But I know I would have felt uncomfortable playing against someone who I knew to be pregnant. It's not like you can go hard at the ball when you may run into a pregnant woman!

Personally, I stopped playing at around 9 weeks, because that was the end of the season, but I was pretty nervous for those few weeks!

And congrats!!

Edited by Girlo, 02 April 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#18 regandrog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Just a tip on the alcohol thing, could you get a glass and just pretend to drink it?

I know I did this at a dinner party once, I had a glass of wine and I pretended to sip at it and DH was actually drinking it so it would go down and get topped up.

#19 Phoenix Blue

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (tessa4 @ 02/04/2012, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They recommend not letting your heart rate get over 120. Increased HR & body temp are what puts the baby at risk

The figure bandied around is actually 140, but the doctor who first suggested this many, many years ago, retracted it again quite quickly. But it seems to have stuck around without any real medical backing.

If you are fit and healthy, you will not risk your baby exercising with a HR over 140. As soontobegran said, many elite athletes continue exercising at high intensity. Just go with how you feel.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Win Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD

To celebrate the release of Love Child Season 2 on DVD from July 9, Essential Baby and Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment are giving away Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD to 13 lucky winners.

10 things I wish my pre-baby self knew

I look back at my pre-baby self and laugh at how ridiculously easy I actually had it. I remember complaining about how tired I was and how little time I had.

Creative ways to store your child's art

Ideas for storing your child's artworks have moved on from sticking them to the fridge door before guiltily dumping them in the bin.

Child abuse ignored because 'it's not your children': Waleed Aly

Waleed Aly takes apart the immigration law that's designed to "protect politicians"

How a newborn niece changed star Australian basketballer's life

In August 2013 star basketball Abby Bishop was 24-years-old and in the prime of her sporting career.

Guilt is my new shadow

No one warned me that when I gave birth there would be an additional side order of guilt.

12 brilliant Ikea hacks for kids’ rooms

Check out these creative upcycling ideas that transform regular Ikea items into something special for your little ones.

Child's nightmare about 'man with a light' turned out to be real

For three days, a three-year-old boy had been saying there was "a man with a light" outside his window at night.

Toilet truths after giving birth

The thought of going to the toilet after giving birth is often feared, but there are ways to make it less painful.

Woman asks strangers for $1 million to stop her having an abortion

An anonymous woman is taking an extreme moral and ethical stand by seeking $1 million in donations to prevent her going ahead with a planned abortion.

How a woman's dying wish made another woman a mum

"I kind of think about, 'What did I do beforehand? What kept me so busy back then?' Because now I'm really busy."

The parenting do-over: what six parents did differently second time around

In playgrounds across Australia, you can hear parents lamenting, "When we have our next baby I swear I won't be doing THAT again".

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.