30 weeks with twins and struggling
how did you cope ?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Mel1609

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone - I am just gone 30 weeks with twins and just in the last couple of days it's all become very difficult. The hardest part is simply breathing - just something simple like loading the dishwasher has me out of breath and it takes ages to get it under control. My hips and legs are so sore - nothing helps, not even resting as they start to ache with the pressure of sitting/lying down. Sleeping is a nightmare !

How did everyone else manage ? I still have god knows how long to go, if they don't come early then it could be another 7 or 8 weeks, and I'm honestly unsure of how I will physically manage. Does anyone have any tips for sleep/pain management ?

Mel

#2 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I had a lot of trouble breathing also, there was nothing I could do about it really except rest, DH took over all chores around the house and MIL took care of DS1 when possible.

#3 heatherbell89

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

At 30 weeks I went on maternity leave original.gif I found water mums - aqua aerobics for pregnant women in a hydrotherapy pool - helped alot and also going to bed when I first felt tired, otherwise I was like a baby, overtired and unable to get myself to sleep!

For the bed on teh advice of the other ladies in here, I bought a mattress cushion topper and also a foam underlay which made it much more bearable to sleep on.

I wasnt really breathless unless I over did it ie carried my almost three year old into my obgyn appt from car as he'd fallen asleep in car. I did find though that I would get teary if I walked around too much, I could only walk for about 30 minutes around the shops or whatever or else I was done for.

How did I cope..... ummm just kept thinking, 'have to cook these babies so I dont have to have them in special care' - for me it made it easier to cope with it all....

As for housework - your making two brand new people screw the housework!!

#4 mumto3princesses

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes, it was hard.

I also had a huge DVT down one leg from belly button to ankle and I was admitted to hospital at one stage because it was so hard to breathe. Because of my DVT they had to make sure part of it hadn't broken off and gone into my lungs.

I did the easy things and left a lot of the housework to DH or my mum. And my mum looked after DD1 for a while most days so I could try and have a rest.

The only way I could get some sleep or rest was with one of those U shaped pillows with part of it between my legs and the other part kind of up against my tummy.

#5 Mel1609

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Good lord, mumto3 - I promise not to complain any more !!!

Thanks for the morale boost, I know it's short term, and DH and DD are being amazing. Might head to Spotlight tomorrow and check out some extra padding for the bed.

#6 fibilly

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

The best thing I did was to visit my osteopath every 2 weeks during my twin pregnancy. She worked on my ribs to loosen them to assist in breathing. I was pregnant during summer, so I also swam almost every day which I found kept my upper body mobile, but also was a total relief due to the weightlessness in water. Even with all that, I still found those last few weeks tough, and I didn't have a toddler, so I think you're doing really well. As PPs said, the aim to avoid SCN was a big motivation to do anything to keep those babies on the inside.

#7 LeggyBlonde

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

I will second the osteopath recommendation.  I had never seen an osteopath before my twin pregnancy, but did so at my OB's suggestion.

I saw them every week or two for the latter half of my pregnancy, and all through my breastfeeding year! Nothing like too much sitting down to ruin a back, other than pregnancy perhaps...

#8 mumto3princesses

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Oh, I forgot about swimming as fibilly said.

Even just getting in the water for a while helped a bit. Only my girls used to go a bit nuts with the kicking around whenever I got in the water. Actually, looking at them now maybe it was just DD3 that loved the water. DD2 doesn't really like swimming much and used to scream the pool down a couple of years ago while DD3 gets excited to see swimming on TV and has told us she wants to get better at swimming herself.

I didn't swim much but did like to go to the pool and just sit there for a while or walk around. Just make sure it has stairs or a ramp thingy to get in and out and not just a ladder.  roll2.gif

#9 muggins_00

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

I stopped trying to sleep in bed and made a nest in the recliner instead. The angle helped the heartburn, I had pillows to support my belly and back, and one between my knees to help my hips. Physio for the hips, standing in the swimming pool and housework and cooking mostly became DH's problem.  If you can get in and out of the bath that might help, ours is a big corner spa so I struggled hoiking my leg high enough to get in without hip pain.

#10 rainycat

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I used to swim 3 times a week (just gentle breaststroke) and lots of floating, I also had a bath most nights. The only time I felt comfortable was in the pool!
In bed I had 5 pillows propped all around my belly and legs too.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, try and do as little as possible.

#11 tuesdaygirl

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Probably sounds really naff, but I found that using a beanbag was the way I got most comfortable, since it moulded to my body. I ended up putting it on top of the bed and sleeping in it.

#12 regandrog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

30 wks was my limit, I stopped work then and rested as much as possible.

You will survive and it will get better soon. Keep those bubs growing in there. While it seems so terrible it is fortunately only for a short time, my twins are 7 now and it is just a vague memory to me now.  What I can remember distinctly was how good I felt after the twins were born, despite the sleepless nights and everything about looking after newborns being tiring, I had much more energy and comfort in those weeks after they were born than the last few weeks of pregnancy, so look forward to that!

Swimming and water were comfortable, but be careful with water aerobics , if you tread water to much you can put pressure on your pelvis and get SPD.

DD was learning to be more independent which I thought was good as with 2 babies on the way she would have to be anyway.

Sleeping was a combination of various pillows stacked about, we had got a new mattress too which was great. I also found it wasn't just the uncomfortableness that made sleeping difficult, I was just unsettled, apparently the babies metabolism impacts on the mum.

Which is why I stopped work so I could rest during the day as well.

#13 Mel1609

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

It's funny you all mention swimming - I go every week when DD has her lesson, and the only way it's comfortable is if I rest my chest on a board, as if it's under the water just that small amount of increased pressure on my chest makes breathing even worse.

I swear the minute those babies are out the first thing I will do is take one massive breath just because I can !

#14 Mel1609

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Wow, fertile woman - it just gets better and better, doesn't it ???  wink.gif

#15 regandrog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I had a caesarean and I as soon as the first twin was out, I had instant relief off my lungs.  So breathing did feel better immediately for me.

#16 newyearbaby

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Oh gees, I can relate to all of this. I can pin point it to the 28 week mark when everything, and I mean everything, just got too hard!

I am 29 weeks today. I have resigned myself to the fact that I just can't do much at all, and anything I do is a bonus. Everything else can wait, I'm looking after me, my babies inside, and my little kids. Everyone else can look after themselves. And the housework will be done by whoever does it, whenever it happens. I simply don't care anymore... not too much anyway.

#17 Mel1609

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

newyearbaby - I'm also having twin boys, due June 8. All the best with yours !

#18 T2Mum

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Reading this thread with interest as I am 22 weeks. Made my DH read it as well as he struggles to understand that growing two babies is harder than one!!!

Just wondering - did you feel OK at 22 weeks? I'm doing OK (esp now my pelvis is taped) and just wondering if that is a good sign or if everyone else felt fine at 22 weeks but then found it hard going by 28?

#19 Sal78

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

yup,we've all been through that. At 30 weeks I was the size of full term with a singleton and I went to term 38 weeks 1 day.

I didn't do anything special though, no body pillows, osteopath etc The pool is a good idea though. I went for a soak each time I took ds1 to swimming lessons. I don't know how I made it..it's a blur now.

But time goes so slow and I am the type of person that cannot sit still so I just kept myself busy. I'd still go out but had to take bench stops regularly! By 36 weeks, I couldn't even get from the car park to the front of shopping centre without a 10 min bench stop!

#20 Mariamsmum

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I stopped work just before 31 weeks as I could barely walk. And every time I walked, I started having braxton hicks contractions which were so painful.

I had my twins at 36 weeks (but I was in hospital for 3 days at 33 weeks due to contractions). It was very hard going as I had a 3yo DS as well who wanted mummy. I kept him childcare for 3 days a week (he was already going as I was working) until after the babies were born as I literally could not run after him.

T2Mum, I also was going well at 22 weeks. I think it was about 26-28weeks when the going got really tough.  

But it is so worth it. The bond between twins is so special. I am so blessed  llove.gif

Good luck!

#21 twinboys

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

newyearbaby - I'm also having twin boys, due June 8. All the best with yours !

I had my twin boys on June 10th...Gemini Twins!! ( Yes they rock!!)

I got to 34 weeks and thats when everything started getting difficult with moving around - my waters broke at 34.5 weeks without any warning!

I did have horrible rib pain from twin 2 who was floating around that area - he was such a wriggler and he still is at nearly 7 ( Stop running/jumping/kicking and fighting are all we say to him these days!)
Twin 1 remained down low and head down - I barely felt him move througout my pregnancy...He was the one whose membranes broke....I always tell him that his 'fat head' broke his baby balloon!! Yes he does have a big head that we joke abou!!

#22 robyn85

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (twinboys @ 07/04/2012, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had my twin boys on June 10th...Gemini Twins!! ( Yes they rock!!)

I got to 34 weeks and thats when everything started getting difficult with moving around - my waters broke at 34.5 weeks without any warning!

I did have horrible rib pain from twin 2 who was floating around that area - he was such a wriggler and he still is at nearly 7 ( Stop running/jumping/kicking and fighting are all we say to him these days!)
Twin 1 remained down low and head down - I barely felt him move througout my pregnancy...He was the one whose membranes broke....I always tell him that his 'fat head' broke his baby balloon!! Yes he does have a big head that we joke abou!!

I am 34 weeks and 3 days with twins. Each day seems to be dragging on because I'm usually very active and have trouble sitting still. Has anyone had their twins before 37 weeks? I want to try and keep my babies in for as long as possible but my patience is definately wearing very thin.

#23 Mel1609

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

i hear you robyn! i will be 32 weeks on friday and want them in a bit longer but am sooo over it. hired a wheelchair for the first time saturday as i just cant walk much more than 100 metres without panting and  needing a long rest.i too felt ok at 22 weeks. it really has gotten hard after the 30 week mark. fortunateky dh is amazing. dont know what i would have done without him. the movement alone is so intense it often makes me cry out!  sometimes i feel like an arm or foot is just going to burst out. its not fun anymore.

#24 stella777

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

T2mum - I think it is possible to have an easy pregnancy with twins. Reading through here it doesn't seem to be the norm, but I had a relatively easy pregnancy with my twins who are now 18 months. I had no morning sickness, no heartburn, no pain and was induced at 38 weeks still feeling great. I had some swelling and struggled to eat a large meal or take a deep breath near the end, but that was all really. I never had the feeling of wanting them out original.gif
I am 29 weeks pg now with one and feel a little worse for wear this time around, so I think it would be much harder having twins 2nd, 3rd time around. Everything is just a bit stretched and I am having some pelvic pain and am exhausted (but both of those things may be related to the fact I am running after and carrying around two 18 month old boys!)

Mel, I hope you are feeling better sad.gif It must be hard. Personally I think keeping those bubs in as long as possible is the best thing for them and will hopefully make things easier for all of you after birth if they are stronger and better feeders. But that's just from my exerience though - my boys were born at 38 weeks and I assumed they would be fine. Both spent 2.5 weeks in the SCN with feeding and temperature regulating issues, one spent his first night on CPAP. It made for a difficult beginning for me when they couldn't feed well and it was stressful. Only a few more weeeks to go original.gif

#25 newyearbaby

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yeah I agree with this, in that it is running after a little one that tires you out more in subsequent pregnancies. Each pregnancy for me has certainly been more tiring each time. I can't lift my 3 year old at all anymore. Unfortunately my 17 month old has become ridiculously clingy and always wants to be picked up and carried. And it hurts!!!

So that is definitely more tiring. And we don't get any younger in between kids either.

But hang in there as long as you can. And keep thinking how much easier it will be, to have a smooth delivery and smooth recovery afterwards. You will feel better once they are out and the healthier they are, the easier the newborn period will be.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

'Chopstick Baby' born at 23 weeks

Given the nickname of 'Chopstick Baby' by local media, a baby born weighing 660g has survived a week outside the womb.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.