Over 40 and TTC with IVF/ICSI #14

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#26 minidiamond

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Ellie I'm so sorry  bbighug.gif I know it sux alot right now but to let you know, I'm another who eventually had success with ICSI. Take care sweetie.

#27 Water_lily

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi Ellie

I was very sad to hear your news. Our FS mentioned sometimes samples are not interested. It is an out of the ordinary. I can't believe clinic did not try ICSI. I am with MIVF too. Please take care. It is just hard.  hhugs.gif

Em: Sorry to hear about BFN.

Pingy: Good luck with your FET. Yep I like that it is drug free too.

Welcome Sping_rain.

AFM: I started my drugs today. Feeling bit apprehensive. I am taking my multi vitamins, coQ10, Royal Jelly, Fish oil caps and doing acupuncture. Very worried that I might not produce anything.

#28 EloiseIVF

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Hey gang,

Thankyou for your kindness and support. It makes such a difference to know others understand exactly what you're feeling. I've moved on from being upset to being confused. Mostly I don't understand why ICSI was not tried immediately when a sperm binding issue was discovered. I also don't understand why I'm meant to just blindly follow instructions without being given more than a three minute 'explanation' over the phone. I thought MIVF was meant to be one of the best clinics? There are many reasons why I like my FS, but sometimes I go away wanting to know a lot more and frankly I feel it should be incumbent on him to tell me things rather than be my job to work out what I should be asking. Does anyone know anything about this 'sperm binding' issue, and to what extent ICSI might be the answer?

Liltuss - thankyou for your hugs. It is a comfort now to hear positive ICSI stories. Why did you have to go to ICSI?

Em - still a BFN? When is your BT? Of course I never got to the Crinone, but I hope you're battling along with it.

spring rain - a bit of a belated welcome from me (sorry, I have been sitting in the corner licking my wounds)

Pingy - great to 'see' you and sending heaps of luck for your FET. Drug free, eh? I'm beginning to forget what that is like! I'd love to hear any of these positive ICSI stories you mentioned!

waterlilly - I was quite confused (then perplexed, then angry) that they did not try ICSI as soon as they saw the sperm binding issue. Especially given how hard it was to even get the four eggs. Sometimes I like MIVF and sometimes I don't. I'd really love to know more about your MIVF thoughts, perhaps in a PM.

Turquoise - How's that DH of yours going? I hope your views start to converge a little with time. Mine took a bit of convincing as well, but now he's well and truly on the roller coaster with me.

Kez - hope you are slowly beginning to feel a little better. Things have been bad enough for me over Easter with the fertilisation debacle, so I cannot begin to imagine what a hard time it must be for you. Sending you a million  hhugs.gif

Peaches - Bring on Friday the 13th!!! Maybe your theatre staff will be wearing black capes instead of white ones  biggrin.gif   We'll all be thinking of you.

Hattie - your post made me  roll2.gif , which was no mean feat the last couple of days!

Pilar - hope all is well with you and thank you for your kind wishes  waves.gif

Hi to anyone watching from the sidelines ATM.

Love Ellie x  

#29 emski72

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi Ellie,

just a thought - did you sign the consent form to do ICSI? I think we had to when we had all our inital paperwork to be done. When we found out the sperm were having trouble they rang and said we have your consent form but need the verbal 'go-ahead' to proceed with ICSI (as it was another $1000 or something).
I know what you mean though sometimes I've felt a bit in the dark about some things... like today AF has arrived and no one has ever told me what to do if AF arrives before the BT date which is next Friday. Too bad if we wanted to do another cycle this month coming... good thing we don't.

Pingy good to see you - glad that you can have a stim free cycle - I was really hoping for that but it wasn't meant to be. My fingers are crossed for you. Great news that you got 2 put back in too - I like to think that's double your chances!

I'm starting acupuncture with Dr Bill Wong on the 16th - he's supposed to be 'the man' as far as IVF/Acupunture treatments go - I'd believe it too after I rang to make an appointment with him in early Feb and couldn't get in until 16 April! That was longer than my FS!  The place is very ordinary looking too - like somewhere I normally wouldn't go - but a lot of women swear by him. I had to book in for 12 weeks of weekly treatments but it's a very reasonable $35 consult as opposed to other acupuncturists I've tried in the past for other things. I'll be interested in what he has to say. I'm also glad I'll be seeing him a few weeks before my next stim cycle as that's the ideal scenario I think.

Hello to Peaches, Chloe, Liltuss, Hattie and anyone else I've missed. I hope you're all having a good Easter break.

Em

#30 EloiseIVF

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

So sorry to hear AF has come Em. Damn crap b@astad IVF. I always hated AF at the best of times, but if I ever actually get to transfer stage I think I'll just scream like a banshee if AF comes.  Sending you heaps of  hhugs.gif    Are you with MIVF too, or are they all the same as far as telling us as little as humanly possible?  I'm sure some of the gang will have some advice for you. Is that Bill Wong in Murrumbeena? I had acupuncture prior to my fibroid surgery last year. It did wonders for the pain that no analgesics could even touch. I'm stimming back to back, so perhaps I'll go back again too. Can't have too many needles, hey! Take care of yourself. Thinking of you often. Ellie x

#31 minidiamond

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Eloise ... it was really a case of IVF not working for my two stim cycles at my first clinic - so when my FS at the second clinic (Genea formerly SIVF) saw those results, and had a closer look at DH's sperm, he went for ICSI.  There was no major problem with his sperm, FS just thought we could do with every bit of help possible.  As Emski said, on our consent form there was a box that said yes to ICSI if the circumstances called for it.

Emski I'm so sorry AF arrived, it's like a massive kick in the guts.  sad.gif   I always just rang the clinic as soon as AF arrived, they'd check if I was sure it was a full blown AF and didn't bother with the BT.  My clinic didn't allow back to back stims so it wasn't really an issue, I'd either go into an FET at next ovulation or sit out a month for another stim.

Good luck, hi to everyone ... we're away for Easter, more soon.

#32 Pingyrat

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ellie - Both Em and I have had ICSI following our last EPUs. I had 10 out of 14 eggs fertilise and Em's rate was even higher. I'm wondering if, once the sperm is in the dish, is it still possible to do ICSI if there's a problem? Perhaps it's too late to retrieve the sperm for ICSI....just a thought....

I'm not with MIVF and I like my FS but he runs at a million patients a minute so it's always a rush. He doesn't give much away unless I ask and even then, it's usually a very quick answer as he's ushering me out the door. Thank god for the nurses!

Em - At my clinic they pack me off, on the day of transfer, with a urine pregnancy test, the date on which to test and a BT request form in the event of a positive. If AF comes, they say to do the urine test that day and call with the result.

Your acupuncturist is very reasonably priced! Mine's $60 a session and my health fund pays upto $400 in benefits but at one session per week and two on the day of transfer, that runs out very quickly  sad.gif

#33 Water_lily

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi Ellie

MIVF just answers any questions. I don't think they volunteer and give you any extra advice.

Emski: I am so sorry to hear about AF. Take care.

#34 chloe69

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Ellie - sorry this wasn't the time for you. I've had similar experiences with lack of information....but I have a close friend who's experience was completely the opposite and was in constant touch with her FS and they worked through her issues together. She was a journalist and that perhaps helped her to draw out the information.....me, I just got frustrated when I was told to try things that I could have been trying months ago if only I'd known to ask......is it worth going to see another FS to chat about what else you could be doing.....even if you continue to see you current FS?
Em -  bbighug.gif . Going for a BT after AF arrives to me is just adding to the disappointment. I know other disagree and maybe the clinics need to do it to monitor hormones or something....but I never went...enjoy your wine @ your belated 40th celebration and lots of cups of the lovely fresh coffee.....what is the next step in the process for you?
water lily - how was your 3 year anniversary celebrations? (sorry, I wished Hattie happy anniversary in a previous post by mistake.....she is past 3!). It is positive for you to be back cycling. I think it is normal to be worried that you won't get a result. Hang in there, you sound like you are doing everything you should be.....so much of this really is just a numbers game and outside our control.....
Spring rain - welcome...feel free to share your background.....lots of positive support in here during what can be such a stressful time. It's a great forum in terms of advice and shared experiences.
Hello to everyone else. I'm typing this watching the sun come up on Easter Sunday....unfortunately I have to go to work....but I'm going to make sure I eat lots of chocolate Easter Eggs to compensate.......
Hope the Easter Bunny finds you.....actually I hope that he leaves us all some good quality eggs! (given that this is the over 40s IVF forum we need them!)......
chloe

#35 146 Lucina

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just popping in to say Happy Easter to everyone.

It's great to see lots of new people in here. I'm just sorry I'm not up to speed with all your stories.

Turquoise, - I remember you from TTC naturally, from waaaay back when. - Sorry it hasn't worked for you. But exciting times are ahead. I hope IVF works as well for you as it did for me.

Kez, - I'm terribly sorry for your loss  bbighug.gif

Chloe, Pilar, Liltuss, -  biggrin.gif  Hope all is text book with you.

Peaches, - The number 13 is lucky in some cultures, so friday 13th must be even Luckier.

Good luck to everyone cycling around now. I promise I will try and get up to date soon.

AFM, - I was thinking about going to see my FS just to see how it is all going. Do you think I'd need another referral?

Anyway, hope you all enjoy your easter. On that note I'm going to go and break into my egg. Mmmm chocolate

Luci...

#36 Pingyrat

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Luci - I just had to renew my referral even though I am now a regular at the clinic. I'm pretty sure referrals are good for 12 months.

#37 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi Everyone, Happy Easter Sunday!

Em and Ellie, I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you both. Unfortunately we all know how you feel... you just have to feel it, move through it and plan ahead for the next round. I wish I could say it gets easier, it doesn't. You just have to find a way to manage the road we have to travel to get our bundles of joy. Try your best to stay positive even though you feel like your world has tumbled in around you. The sun will come out the next day (always remember that) and keep putting one foot in front of the other. I feel for you both, been there many times and it hurts like hell. Take care and most importantly don't be too hard on yourself. Big hugs to you bothxx

Waterlilly, hope you're feeling okay cycling away... and all is well with you. Just a note about the Royal Jelly, I stopped taking it once EPU was done as you shouldn't take it during pregnancy. And CoQ10 does not go well with Clexane apparantly (in case you are put on that too). I also stopped taking it during the 2ww's as well. Best of luck, hope it all goes great for youxx

Pingyrat
, wow that was a quick turnaround for your FET, that's great. Your natural FET sounds great. Crossing everything for you this time around, how are you feeling? Wishing you all the best! Take care in the 2ww xx

Chloe, hey how are you going... poor darlin having to work today, yucko, hope you have lots of chocolate bunnies to get you through! Hope you are feeling well, your scan must not be far away.... ohhh, waiting waiting for great results!

Welcome SpingRain, all the best to you, hope you find the support you need in here.

Luci, yes I would imagine you need another referral. We needed to renew every 12 months just as Pingy said. Good luck!

Hey Liltuss, Peaches, Hattie and Torquise, hope you're enjoying your Easter break and all is good with you.

I apologise if I've missed anyone out... will catch you next post around...

[preg mentioned]
AFM.....Well we had our NT scan this week, and the baby looks great. Interim report is low risk for DS, our Drs appt is a next week to discuss in full. Nuchal measurements are fine, heartbeat great. I still can't quite believe I have a tiny 5cm baby in there. The baby didn't want to show us it's little face but we saw it side on, so very cute. Still abit unbelievable for me at the moment. It felt like I was watching a DVD of someone else's pregnancy. I don't think I will believe I will be a mother until I carry this baby in my arms. 13 weeks today - Yay!!

Take care everyone, stay safe over Easter.

PilarPxx

Edited by Pilar Palabundar, 08 April 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#38 Water_lily

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi Pilar

Thanks for that. Great to hear about the scan too.  original.gif

Happy easter everyone.

#39 minidiamond

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Pingyrat @ 08/04/2012, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luci - I just had to renew my referral even though I am now a regular at the clinic. I'm pretty sure referrals are good for 12 months.

Yes we had to get another one after 12 months.  Good luck Luci !

Pilar, so happy for you that another milestone has passed.  It's still not quite real for me, I know what you mean.

Good to hear from you Chloe, hope all is well.

Spring, welcome.

Happy Easter all, DH & I are away for the long weekend, had a fab spa treatment/lunch package, got a huge kick in the tummy in the middle of the massage, I think someone was bored with all that relaxation !

#40 chloe69

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Keep the positive posts coming....it is great to hear from those who have been on the rollercoaster and are nearing the end of the ride.....

Pilar - 13 weeks and everything is okay. How absolutely wonderful!

Liltuss - ooohhh, so envious of the spa package/weekend away.....your DH must rock....thanks for popping in with the update. How far along now??????

Pingy - are you in the 2WW? How did I miss that exciting news. Good luck with your frostie.......fingers are crossed for you....

Chloe

Edited by chloe69, 09 April 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#41 Pingyrat

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hi girls biggrin.gif

Pilar - I'm so happy that things are going so well for you. I can imagine how it must feel so unreal when you've ttc for so long and you finally have a little baby growing inside you....amazing! I can't even imagine having a BFP, much less a growing baby.

Chloe - I can only imagine how nervous you must feel about your scan. Some things are really meant to be and I feel like that little fighter you have inside you is one of them.

Hello to everyone else.

AFM - Not too sure what's going on and feeling a tiny bit worried. I've been spotting ever since my FET. Actually it's more like (sorry for TMI) brown tinged CM. I did bleed on the day of transfer and my FS told me I would have some spotting but 6 days?? I called the clinic 2 days ago and they told me it was nothing to worry about. Has anybody else experienced this?

#42 emski72

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi all,

thanks for the kind words Chloe, Pilar and Waterlily
I'm okay - I'd covinced myself it wasn't going to work first time for us a while back so while I was disappointed, I wasn't devestated.

I hope you had a great weekend away Liltuss it sounds like you did!

Pilar - it must have been wonderful to see your little baby during the scan - how exciting! I can imagine it would seem quite surreal.

Chloe, I'm not too sure what's next for us - I have a work conference on 1 May so will be away for a week and then we are getting married on the 12th May so will likely have to take April/May off from IVF - I think our next go will be early June (God where does the time go).  I'm wondering if there's something we can do to increase our chances for April / May - like Clomid or something -- there's no real reason for us not falling pregnant... but our FS just jumped straight into IVF due to my age... what do you guys think? Would there be an alternative we could use to increase our chances until the next stim cycle?

Em x

#43 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hey Pingy, thank you for that biggrin.gif , yeah it is amazing and I am still awestruck. I'm sorry, I have never experienced bleeding after an FET or Stim transfer, I can't offer you any advice, only to ring your FS, which you've already done. Could it be implantation bleeding? I don't know if it would be for that long.... but you never know huh. I guess you're not using pessaries or crinone on a natural cycle?? Hang in there, try to stay sane, thinking of youxx

Edited by Pilar Palabundar, 09 April 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#44 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hi Em, thanks! Yes it is abit surreal.  I would ask my FS about the time you have between cycles, perhaps clomid might be possible, but I think you need close monitoring with it to? I've never used it though. If you haven't tried DHEA, or CoQ10 or Royal Jelly, all these are supposed to help with egg quality and have better success the longer it's taken prior to EPU's (stop them during 2ww's and positive outcomes). DHEA is prescription only from your FS and some do and don't agree with it's success rate. There have been many discussions about DHEA on here, use the search option and look through if you're interested. The other two you can get over the counter. Good luck!

#45 Peaches.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hi Ladies

I hope everyone had a nice Easter.

Em - so sorry about your BFN.  I hope you were able to relax on the weekend and have a vino or 2 or some caffeine or whatever you wanted. Good plan to take some time off and then get back into it in May/June.

Ellie - Oh bugger sweetie about nothing fertilising. I can't imagine how you must have felt. I hope you get some answers from your FS and you can def do ICSI next time.

Pingyrat - I hope the spotting subsides for you. It can be worrying I know. You won't have long to wait now. Fingers crossed for you.

Chloe - I'm sorry you are feeling so unsure. I hope you have an amazing scan this week and find that your little embryo is growing along beautifully. Go and book that scan in now!!!!

Waterlilly - Hope the jabbing is going OK. I think it is normal to feel negative - I always do. One day I feel great I can do this, then the next crap. It is such a rollercoaster. I find it helped to look at positives. Remember it worked once, you just need one good egg....

Pilar & Liltuss - great news that everything is going along so well for you both. You are our inspirations!

Hi Torquise, spring rain, Luci & Hattie.

AFM - Lap on Friday. OMG it feels like I have been waiting sooooo long to get started again.

#46 EloiseIVF

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hey gang,

Em - I did a Clomid cycle while I was waiting for the IVF police checks. From memory I took it for five days (from about day 4 of cycle, I think), then I had a scan. Straight after the scan I had the trigger (Pregnyl) and was told to go home and BD like we'd never BD'd before     dev (6).gif   Well, the BDing was fun (unlike now - thanks very much IVF...), but unfortunately a BFN. Point is there wasn't much to it, at least for me, monitoring-wise.

Pilar - so thrilled for you that things are coasting along and that you've now met the little one face to face - albeit through the US screen!

Pingy - how are things today with that spotting? Thinking of you and hoping hard that it resolves itself.

Liltuss - fabulous to hear you are being kicked around   tongue.gif  Sounds like a fabulous weekend.

Chloe - keeping everything crossed for your scan.

Kez - how are you? Thinking of you...   bbighug.gif

Peaches - haven't heard from you for a while. Hope things are A-OK.

Big hi and  hhugs.gif to Waterlilly, Turquoise, Hattie, Springrain, Luci and anyone else I may have missed.

AFM - sitting out my own brand of the TWW: waiting for AF so we can go another round. Currently on day 6. I have always had a 14 day LP. Does that hold still? ie., should AF show herself 14dp EPU? I have made an appointment to see my FS to ask the gazillion questions I have after the IVF #1 fiasco. Basically it seems if I don't ask, not much will be volunteered at MIVF. The nurses are lovely, but for most of my questions they don't really have the answers. Yesterday I had some whacking great O pain in my left O. Funny, because I didn't really have much discomfort to speak of following EPU; it just started up 5dp EPU. Oh well, has settled a little today, so I guess its just another one of those unexplained things!

Have a nice day all. Looks like we Melburnians are in for another burst of beautiful autumn from tomorrow and a cracker of a weekend.

Love Ellie x

#47 EloiseIVF

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Ha  Peaches  - just as I was saying we hadn't seen you for a little while, you're posting at the same time     ddoh.gif   All the best for Friday x

Edited by EloiseIVF, 10 April 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#48 LellyBelly

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hi Ladies original.gif

I'm just poking my toe in .... We did our first ICSI Cycle in February (when I was 39) and it was unsuccessful.  I have since turned 40 (and because of my advanced age pfft! I'm so sick of the clinic telling me that) I figured that this was the forum to be in!!

Pilar, congratulations, I'm so pleased for you!

Pingy, I hope that your spotting resolves itself, could it be implantation bleeding?

We start our next tweaked ICSI cycle any day now, just waiting for AF so we can activate the cycle.

My heart absolutely goes out to the ladies here who have had to deal with the heartbreak of an unsuccessful cycles, mcs, and just plain old not being able to get pg.  Tonight I was watching Monday's episode of The Biggest Loser and Brenda was sharing her heartache about not being able to get pg and her partner leaving her and then getting his new partner pg within months, I broke down an sobbed, poor DH didn't know what was wrong with me!  Whilst I'm in a healthy weight range, on pre-pg vitamins, having acupuncture, it's not necessarily the recipe for success. I laughed so hard at Hattie's recipe for success!! I told DH and he said "you did it like a teenager!" lol

EloiseIVF I feel for you not, having not told any one about your IVF journey and then not being able to tell anyone it didn't work...I'm so glad to hear you're in a better head space and have a plan to move forward.

I was in a similar situation in February of this year, on the 13th I got a BFP (but with low numbers so we didn't think it was going to be viable) and then on the 14th, Valentines day, my Mother died in the morning (after a long illness), and in the afternoon AF arrived, I was devastated!  My mum was ill for a very long time and it was a blessing she passed peacefully, but I think I was more upset because the IVF cycle didn't work and I couldn't share it with her, I would be crying about it and my friends thought it was because of my mum's passing sad.gif it was a truly sucky time and I only had DH to lean on and it never occurred to me that DH was suffering as well sad.gif  The only thing I took from that cycle was that time makes things better and to take one day at a time...

Gosh, haven't I blabbed!!  So much for just popping in!! (Also I'm so pleased that we ladies on the forum have the space to share!!)

Take care and be kind to yourself and your DH's

Lelly original.gif

Edited by LellyBelly, 11 April 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#49 EloiseIVF

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hi there LellyB  waves.gif

Yes, EB over 40s is the new black, so definitely the place to be!

So sorry to hear about your ICSI BFN. So disappointing after the faint BFP. So you started again on 2nd April? What type of cycle are you doing? I'm waiting for AF so I can begin another down reg and will do ICSI this time to try to combat our previous sperm binding problem. I wish I could do an antagonist, as the down regs are sooooooo long!

Hope to get to know you here in the forum.

Love Ellie x

#50 Pingyrat

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Morning girls

Lelly - A big welcome to you  bbighug.gif You'll love the Fab 40's, the girls here are just gorgeous. I think I've seen you over at Ready, Set, Go though I never joined in as I felt more comfortable here because of my advanced age (double pfft!)

I'm so very sorry about your mum and your failed cycle. That must have been just hideous, you poor thing. I hope AF comes soon and best of luck with your next cycle.

Ellie - My luteal phase was completely normal after my stim cycle and yes, I counted it from EPU. Is there any reason you can't do an antagonist cycle?

Police checks? Did I miss something?  huh.gif

hhugs.gif to everyone else.

AFM - Still spotting. I guess it could be bleeding from the transfer merging into implantation bleeding....I can only hope. I called the clinic again yesterday and the nurse was going to speak to my FS. Annoyingly, I never heard back  mad.gif I'll try them again today.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.