What do you do on the weekend with your young toddler?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NoMoreGuilt

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi, just wondering what parents with young toddlers do on the weekend. DS is 13 months. DH is going through a bit of a funk right now and said today that he thought our weekends were too repetitive and boring. We usually go out for lunch at a cafe with DS, and then go for an hour walk at the park to see the ducks etc. Occasionally we will catch up with friends for lunch and bring DS as well. Today we also stopped off at MIL's house for a visit.

I can't really think of other activities to do - DS is too young to enjoy trips to the zoo or aquarium. Its getting too cold to go to the beach, and when we went a few times in summer we could only stay for a little while anyway as it gets too hot for DS.

We both work full time in the city during the week so try to avoid going into the city at the weekend at all costs (we live in Sydney).

Maybe it is a bit boring but I can't imagine that other people are going surfing or mountain hiking on the weekends with their 13 month old??

Edited by workingmum0101, 31 March 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#2 Fillyjonk

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hehe - more exciting than our weekends. We spend half of Saturday shopping, all Sunday morning at church and somehow the rest of the weekend just gets frittered away and it is Monday again.

Don't discount the zoo though. We got our first zoo pass when Owen was about 15 months and he seemed to enjoy it then. Perhaps you could try the aquarium - kids seem to be particularly taken by fish.

ETA - oh, and re Roobear's suggestion of swimming- my 12 month old absolutely loves going to the pool (though Owen hated it at that age, so I guess it depends on the kid).

Edited by with the goo goose, 31 March 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#3 Roobear

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

We go swimming, to the park, zoo (we are friends of the zoo so get free entry) and she loves it, shopping, library, play dates, children's farm.....all I can think of for now.

#4 g_uzica

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

try www.sydneyforkids.com.au for some ideas on things to do.

You should also try Symbio Wildlife Park down south where you can pat the kangaroos, cows, lamas, etc  It's a bit more hands which our little one enjoyed at this age.

also think about what you did together before DS was born, can you take him along??  not every trip has to be an experience for your little one.

good luck.

#5 SplashingRainbows

We do visits to the park or pool, lunch out, home for sleep lazy afternoons at home catching up on things. Sometimes we visit friends or family, depends on what everyone is doing.

If your DH wants things to change, can you make it his responsibility to change them (within reason).

#6 ~Jodama~

We do all sorts of things go on nature walks, tourist attractions like zoos, aquauriums, historical sites. We always have take our kids wherever we want to go. I think it helps them to learn how to behave when out and about.

#7 Chelara

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

We do day trips all over th place, markets, garage sales, river, wisemans ferry, the little ride on miniature railways at Galston and there's another near ryde somewhere also one out west that are made to look like Thomas characters. Catch the train somewhere, pet shops, different parks, national parks. Not sure where you are but bobbin head near Hornsby is lovely. Camden botanical gardens for a picnic.

#8 Mummy Em

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

What does your hubby want to do? If you and he like to hike you can get those backpack/structured baby carriers.
I agree simple activities are better for little ones. Things to do might be a weekend away in a chalet (not so simple but a change of scenery is nice), trip to petting farm, explore other parks, indoor play centres, indoor swimming pools, the museum (some are quite interactive these days).

When Dd1 was a bit older than your ds my husband started taking her to an activity first thing Saturday morning. First it was Gymbaroo, now it is swimming lessons. It is their special thing.

#9 marnie27

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

What about swimming? We have a pool but we took DS to the indoor public pool in winter about that age.
Walks on the beach, near a river.
Bike riding - DS can sit in a passenger seat or trailer type thing
More catch ups with friends, bbqs, dinners, breakfasts out etc- we quite often do the same things with different groups of friends.
Play centres - we often meet friends at one.
Country drives - DS would usually sleep and we'd stop somewhere different for lunch.
A family friendly pub - we would meet friends for lunch or a drink (them not us as we don't really drink). DS was happy to be held and play with his toys.
We did the zoo and museum as well - we enjoyed it and DS was happy just to be out and about.

#10 EBeditor

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Markets, shopping, art galleries, day trips?

best to do as much of the stuff that you like to do before your child is old enough to complain original.gif

#11 T2Mum

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

There are always things going on in Sydney to do! Definitely don't discount the Zoo! Very relaxing for everyone in nice weather.

Going to different parks and cafes can be fun, as well as things like wine and food fairs, children's fairs, museums, outdoor exhibitions (ie Sculptures by the Sea), trips to National Parks etc.

Kids at that age also like trying lots of different public transport. We once went on an excursion on the suburban train just for fun (but then again we don't have to use the train to commute).

Weekend after Easter we are going up to Clarence to the Thomas Day at the Zig Zag railway and then staying in the Blue Mts overnight. We have a DD 4.5 and a DD nearly 1.5. Both kids will enjoy playing in the autumn leaves and doing autumn craft afterwards.

#12 Jenflea

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Does he go out much in the week? If so , he might actually like some time at home relaxing. You don't HAVE to go out all the time. Kids like downtime as well.
At 13 months he's pretty young still, we took our daughter to the zoo at 18 months and had to carry her everywhere, it was really tiring! She couldn't see over the rails and short hedges in the pram so had to be carried.
Playcentres are fun, things to climb on safely, even if just the park.

#13 Pocket79

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

My DS is 14mo and some things he enjoys are: catching the bus (anywhere!), building a cubby with chairs and sheets etc; going to the beach and playing in the sand; going to the markets and wandering around, trying foods and smiling at everyone; going to the bike shop and looking at all the bikes; the park with ducks etc; going out to brekky; walking along the promenade at the beach; we also recently took him to the aquarium - he was younger then, prob around 12mo and he LOVED it- it is great for kids that age, especially the penguins, the tropical fish and the walkway where the fish are under your feet and the shark tunnel of course. You could also go to a Chinese restaurant or pet shop and look at the fish in the tanks;)

#14 EBeditor

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

My toddler had fun chasing seagulls at the beach today.. we didn't go near the water.

#15 Flutter Bug

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Once you start looking there are so many things to do, most of them fairly inexpensive or free. This is what we get up to....

Bike with a toddler bike seat and go for a ride to the park or the beach.

Go to the childrens garden in the Botanic Gardens and go for a walk with the pram around the Gardens.

Go to the childrens farm.

Go to Scienceworks or museum.

Go to the pool.

Drive to a different park in another suburb and take the toddlers bike or pram and go for a walk/play at the park and a picnic.

Have an 'outside' day at home with finger painting, water and sand play, blowing bubbles, 'painting' the house/paths/trees with a bucket of water and a paintbrush, drawing with jumbo chalk on the paths/driveway - probably the most fun!!

#16 JupitersMoon

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yeah I found 12-16 months hard in terms of entertainment (for me,that is!). I would still do the zoo, aquarium thing, but maybe a smaller one - ie not taronga zoo but a petting zoo ?

Does he walk? Would he like a indoor toddler playground? I also don't think it's too cold for the beach yet original.gif maybe a picnic somewhere he can run around? Start him in swimming lessons if you haven't yet, he will love it! I wish I had started DD earlier.

Also dont ignore museums, etc , young toddlers love looking at things.

#17 cinnabubble

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I used to just drag her around with me when I had one young toddler and a full time job. By the time she was two, she'd dance to the buskers in Pitt Street Mall. She also loved the Powerhouse Museum.

#18 Pocket79

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ooh yes the bike wit toddler seat is great, we often go on rides as a family and DS LOVES it! Got the seat 2nd hand on eBay;)

#19 agnodice

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

You can actually take your toddler on 'adult' activities, depending what you and your DH used to do! They don't all have to be kid centred. Art galleries are fun (even young kids like the colours), museums, bicycling, beach, picnics, visiting adult friends, gardening, even shopping.

13 months is a hard age - too old to lie around, too young to really be active. From 12-18 months we did a LOT of 'playdates' with our friends who also had kids which essentially meant the adults had a couple beers and a chat, and the kids did whatever; it can be a bit of a boring time. By 18 months on, they get a lot more interactive and can actually do quite a lot, so it's a lot more fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.