Please help me overnight wean 20mo
How did you do it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1 for me

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hi,

My DS is 20mo soon and he is showing absolutely no sign of weaning at all which is fine, however the overnight feeding is driving me mad, literally! My DS is still waking upto 4 times a night and won't go back to sleep without a feed. The last couple of weeks after his feed I put him back in his cot and 10mins later I am back up to a screaming and kicking toddler. Then he won't let me put him back in his cot and just wants to linger. I used to love and enjoy BFing but now I am starting to hate it and I believe it's because of the overnight feeds. I felt like I wanted to cut my boobs off the other night if DS touched me one more time. It's terrible and I feel guilty for feeling like this when I know all he wants is comfort but I am getting hardly any sleep and I work full time. I just can't keep going. Could you please tell me how you stopped the overnight feeds and how long it took?

Any advice/help is appreciated. Just to add I don't want to wean full time but just the overnight feeds to start with.

TIA!

#2 tick

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

I night weaned my DD when she was 20 months also.  She was in a big bed by that stage which helped I think.  Previously I had fed her in her bed and laid down with her until she went to sleep, often falling asleep there myself otherwise then going back to my own bed.  

Night weaning basically involved a couple of weeks of Dad doing the night settling instead of me.  He'd go in with the option of a drink of water and would lay with her in her bed while she went back to sleep.  The first few days were a scream-fest but she got used to it quickly enough and after about 2 weeks I could successfully go into her at night if she woke and settle her without breastmilk.  

Good luck, I understand how consuming that feeling of total aversion to breastfeeding is (even after having enjoyed it in the early months).  I ended up weaning DD completely by 24 months because of it.

#3 Mum2NE1

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Took us about 3-4 nights. I told DD that the milk was all gone & that the big girl fairy would leave a present under her pillow if she had a big girl sleep without milk. She cried herself to sleep in my arms the first 2 nights & I felt so awful, but the 3rd night was better & 4th she just needed to lay with me to get to sleep.

#4 TwiceTheWoman

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

To be honest 1FM, I think most people hate whatever they're doing from time to time and that includes breastfeeding.  The feelings come and go in waves and at times it's normal to feel sick of the whole shebang.
There can be several reasons other than wanting to feed that he may be waking, although the feeding is providing him comfort it may be some obscure reason, depending on your change of season, doona off, nightmares, nocturnal animals making noises, teething (I think this is the most common) etc., so check out what's going on for him.  It may be something simple, such as he may need his room warmed a little before bed and an extra blanket on for the night.
Contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association for some great support there.

My eldest son started waking several times a night aged just on 2yo and I was going absolutely crazy.
When I was working night shifts and he slept with DH and never woke once.  One night I slept in his bed and the sounds of the possums mating above his room were both loud and frightening - poor little mite. ohmy.gif   I moved the rooms around and he slept through.

I hear what you're saying and know exactly how you feel; sometimes you just want to be disentangled from everyone.
Can you have a day way from your family / child doing whatever you want to, just for a bit of personal respite?
That being said, can't recommend ABA enough; when you speak with a counsellor, she'll know just what you're going through and be able to offer you some great suggestions.
Good luck 1ForMe, you have been hard at this mothering thing for 19 months solid, 7 days a week, go easy on yourself and know that you have done an amazing job thus far.  All the best!

#5 Tikiboo16

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

I stopped overnight feeds when DD was about 13 months. I simply went to her when she woke at night and laid her back in her cot and patted her to sleep (usually took many attempts before she actually fell asleep). Yeah it was hell for about three nights, but she improved with each night and then at around night 4 or 5 she slept through the night and has done so ever since. I still BF but usually only just before she goes to sleep and sometimes in the mornings if she wants it. My advice is to just be persistent.. he won't like the new arrangement at first but he will get used to it, and everyone will sleep better. original.gif

#6 1 for me

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thank you all very much for your advice and words of support. My DH and I have a week's holiday soon so I think that we might try DH going in at night to see how we go. My problem is that I am a big sook and can't stand to hear DS crying and distressed when I know that all I have to do is go in to him and give him a feed and he will be happy again. I might have to sleep in a part of the house where i can't hear his cries.

I really do love BFing and am so happy that we have continued this journey thus far. It's like TwiceTheWoman said, we all hate something we are doing from time to time and I just wasn't coping very well last week. This week is a better week though!  biggrin.gif

#7 Bel Rowley

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

I echo the advice of having your DH do the settling. Like you I can't stand listening to my boy cry, if I go to him as soon as he sees me he wants a feed, and I am usually too much of a softie to deny it. Generally if it is someone else who goes to him he is much more likely to resettle. A few times I've gone to bed and DH has had to actually get DS up, but if he sits with him in the lounge room for a cuddle for about 15 minutes he will then go back to bed happily.

#8 Bluenomi

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I tried pretty much everything and nothing work. I was convinced I'd be doing it forever.

Around 19 months she started sleeping through the night more often and on the night's she did wake, she decided she didn't want a feed. She happily kept feeding in the morning and before bed but gave up overnight feeds on her own.

I ended up weaning her completely at 21 months and it was amazingly easy in the end.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.